Jump to content

Permanent Rumour Thread


Fanpuck33
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I think players look for different things when it comes to the city they want to live in. Cities like NYC and LA might seem exciting to some but not so exciting to others. For a kid that grew up in a small town on the prairies, Edmonton might seem like a cool place. For a kid that grows up in the US, Edmonton might be perceived as a cold wasteland. Most players make enough money that they can live in a good part of whatever city they live in which makes it easier. A guy who is married with kids might also look at it differently. 

 

One of the biggest draw of NYC is the division it’s normally in.  Nearly all cities in that division, which they play frequently, are mere hours from their home city.  So they could play a road game in New Jersey, then Philadelphia, then Pittsburgh in 6 nights and be at home with their family every night.  That is why that division is one of the best in the league, it’s an attractive perk for players.

 

As for California, Arizona and Florida, the weather is warm all year around.  That is a perk for players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

One of the biggest draw of NYC is the division it’s normally in.  Nearly all cities in that division, which they play frequently, are mere hours from their home city.  So they could play a road game in New Jersey, then Philadelphia, then Pittsburgh in 6 nights and be at home with their family every night.  That is why that division is one of the best in the league, it’s an attractive perk for players.

 

As for California, Arizona and Florida, the weather is warm all year around.  That is a perk for players.

 

Good points. I could use some warm weather just about now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Montreal Gazette is reporting Danault has turned down a 5-year $25m and 6-year $30m deal from the Habs.

 

If it’s true, shouldn’t this mean he will be dealt this season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Montreal Gazette is reporting Danault has turned down a 5-year $25m and 6-year $30m deal from the Habs.

 

If it’s true, shouldn’t this mean he will be dealt this season?

No, unless the team somehow does so poorly they are out of the playoffs at the deadline ... Danault is an important piece in a roster built to "make the playoffs cleanly and go deep"  ... he is their most reliable centre defensively and on face-offs (although with Gallagher and Lehkonen over 60% on their limited number of faceoffs maybe they should get more focus in practice to see if they actually are good) ... Suzuki is looking like he may well soon be good enough defensively to be depended upon to play top line minutes against the other teams' top lines ... but that is not worth a gamble for this season ... and while Suzuki, KK and Evans are doing decently on faceoffs, they are not yet strong enough to be relied on.

 

And I am not certain Danault will get a significantly better contract elsewhere ... I have heard talk of 2-3 more years of flat cap ... I think his choice is going to be signing with a contender or taking the most money to lose ... in the end, I expect Montreal may well be his best option, unless the habs decide to move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

No, unless the team somehow does so poorly they are out of the playoffs at the deadline ... Danault is an important piece in a roster built to "make the playoffs cleanly and go deep"  ... he is their most reliable centre defensively and on face-offs

RIght. Supposing that we still look strong at the trade deadline, it's hard to imagine Bergevin putting Danault on the block. Maybe Evans can step up for next season but for this year's post-season it would be a serious downgrade and a big hit on our chances of going deep in the playoffs.

 

And what would we get for him as a rental? Would he merit a first-round pick? If it's a second-rounder, I'd say it's definitely not worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5. Vince Dunn was off the second power play in St. Louis’s morning skate Tuesday at Vegas. Coach Craig Berube would not reveal his lineup, but will that mean a healthy scratch?
Dunn has had a rough start, but his talent is respected. St. Louis had a lot of trade talks about him in the summer before signing him. They are believed to be looking for a first rounder.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-dubois-laine-trade-finally-came-together/

 

Interesting ... Friedman references trade discussions held over the summer but uses the present tense when discussing what they want ... Don't see any reason for Habs to be interested but he is a talented young defenceman.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

5. Vince Dunn was off the second power play in St. Louis’s morning skate Tuesday at Vegas. Coach Craig Berube would not reveal his lineup, but will that mean a healthy scratch?
Dunn has had a rough start, but his talent is respected. St. Louis had a lot of trade talks about him in the summer before signing him. They are believed to be looking for a first rounder.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-dubois-laine-trade-finally-came-together/

 

Interesting ... Friedman references trade discussions held over the summer but uses the present tense when discussing what they want ... Don't see any reason for Habs to be interested but he is a talented young defenceman.

 

 

He'd immediately be our best LHD and he's young.  I would be interested. 

That said the trade is difficult due to the cap implications. 

But yeah, I would want him.   He's massively underrated.  He's so good even if he's struggled to start this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

He'd immediately be our best LHD and he's young.  I would be interested. 

That said the trade is difficult due to the cap implications. 

But yeah, I would want him.   He's massively underrated.  He's so good even if he's struggled to start this season. 

 

Would St Louis want Edmundson back?  They are second worst in their division defensively.

 

The cap differential is $1.625 ... with Steen and Tarasenko out for the season and on LTIR, the Blues are currently 7.6498 over the cap ... but they have another $5.6 million in available LTIR ... so they have some flexibility.

 

Habs would likely have to add more ... Blues lack a 2nd rounder so Habs could offer the better of their or TBL's 2nd rounder ... doesn't feel like quite enough to get St Louis to bite

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Friedman is saying leafs are looking for a forward and with the quarantine rules trading in Canada makes a lot of sense. 
 

I wonder if we might be a fit? Maybe Poehling?

Only if they are looking for an AHLer, which is what he seems to be at this stage of his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

Would St Louis want Edmundson back?  They are second worst in their division defensively.

 

The cap differential is $1.625 ... with Steen and Tarasenko out for the season and on LTIR, the Blues are currently 7.6498 over the cap ... but they have another $5.6 million in available LTIR ... so they have some flexibility.

 

Habs would likely have to add more ... Blues lack a 2nd rounder so Habs could offer the better of their or TBL's 2nd rounder ... doesn't feel like quite enough to get St Louis to bite

 

 

In hockey terms I'd do that deal

 

However, you have to consider, do you want to trade a player who wanted to come to Montreal, who choose Montreal to please his father who is sick with lung cancer, and then you trade him 6 games in?  I don't know that this will look good for future free agents (and yes he signed as a free agent even if we gave up a fifth to get his rights, he still could have gone to UFA if he wanted).

 

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-21978/montreal-the-perfect-fit-and-spirit-booster-for-edmundson-family

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

In hockey terms I'd do that deal

 

However, you have to consider, do you want to trade a player who wanted to come to Montreal, who choose Montreal to please his father who is sick with lung cancer, and then you trade him 6 games in?  I don't know that this will look good for future free agents (and yes he signed as a free agent even if we gave up a fifth to get his rights, he still could have gone to UFA if he wanted).

 

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-21978/montreal-the-perfect-fit-and-spirit-booster-for-edmundson-family

 

Very true ... the other option is Chiarot ... I mentioned Edmundson because of the prior Blues connection perhaps making him more enticing to them ... and if Dunn is as good as you suggest, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do what is good for the team ... especially if, as GM, you are in the second to last year of your contract ... IMO this summer is, or should be, extension or gone time for MB ... GM's should never be lame ducks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The cap differential is $1.625 ... with Steen and Tarasenko out for the season and on LTIR, the Blues are currently 7.6498 over the cap ... but they have another $5.6 million in available LTIR ... so they have some flexibility.

 

Steen is out for the season but Tarasenko isn't so they really can't dip into his salary to go add payroll and they already used Steen's savings to sign Hoffman and re-sign Dunn.  They have about $600,000 in a full-season cap hit they can afford to add to their books so someone like Edmundson or Chiarot would be too expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Steen is out for the season but Tarasenko isn't so they really can't dip into his salary to go add payroll and they already used Steen's savings to sign Hoffman and re-sign Dunn.  They have about $600,000 in a full-season cap hit they can afford to add to their books so someone like Edmundson or Chiarot would be too expensive.

Yup ... misread the date of his surgery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Friedman is saying leafs are looking for a forward and with the quarantine rules trading in Canada makes a lot of sense. 
 

I wonder if we might be a fit? Maybe Poehling?

 

His market value is low right now, way too early to give up on him. Still think he has a lot of potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If we could get a first for Poehling I’d jump for sure. 
 

He will struggle to make 4th line and not sure he will ever be much more. 

 

Poehling just turned 22, has shown flashes of brilliance, perhaps has some maturing to do. I would have to get a pretty decent return to give up on him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Poehling just turned 22, has shown flashes of brilliance, perhaps has some maturing to do. I would have to get a pretty decent return to give up on him. 

With respect ... he showed A FLASH of brilliance ... one night ... and little since ( 1g, 1a in 27 NHL games last season ... he was 21st on the Rocket last season in points/game). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With respect ... he showed A FLASH of brilliance ... one night ... and little since ( 1g, 1a in 27 NHL games last season ... he was 21st on the Rocket last season in points/game). 

 

With respect, I would still say flashes, was tournament MVP and best forward  at the World Juniors in 2019 where he scored a natural hat trick against Sweden. When he went to the AHL he pouted a bit, that's why I say he still has some maturing to do. He is still young. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

With respect, I would still say flashes, was tournament MVP and best forward  at the World Juniors in 2019 where he scored a natural hat trick against Sweden. When he went to the AHL he pouted a bit, that's why I say he still has some maturing to do. He is still young. 

Yeah, the difference in attitude (after being sent to Laval) was like night and day between Poehling and Kotkaniemi. One of them figured out that he could learn something there, the other one didn't clue into that for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, the difference in attitude (after being sent to Laval) was like night and day between Poehling and Kotkaniemi. One of them figured out that he could learn something there, the other one didn't clue into that for a while.

Agree, Poehling went to training camp with high hopes and expectations, was actually having a good camp and then suffered a concussion, never got it going after. Certainly he didn't go to the AHL with the right attitude. I am just saying that it can be dangerous to give up on a guy who just turned 22 that has some talent. Everybody matures at a different rate. Not everyone matures as quickly as a guy like Brendan Gallagher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poehlings offensive numbers in college and the AHL just arent there for him ever being more than a 3rd liner at best.  Id include him in a deadline deal for what we need for the playoffs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Poehlings offensive numbers in college and the AHL just arent there for him ever being more than a 3rd liner at best.  Id include him in a deadline deal for what we need for the playoffs.  


Exactly

 

Add in the fact that he shows up to camp in less than ideal physical condition year after year reminds me a lot of Hudon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Poehlings offensive numbers in college and the AHL just arent there for him ever being more than a 3rd liner at best.  Id include him in a deadline deal for what we need for the playoffs.  

 

Yep. It looks suspiciously like Poehling is the latest in a long line of fan darlings who will never amount to much more than an adequate NHLer at best. It’s analogous to the idea - propagated with great intensity by quite a few fans - that Eller was a #1C being irrationally held back by the cruel, cruel Habs (although at least Eller was a legit NHLer - but the principle is the same, a guy being blown out of all proportion by a significant chunk of the fan base). Despite some fans’ comically pencilling him as a top-6 C the very next season after his 4-point explosion, the fact is that Poehling may or may not become an NHL regular. The idea that he is a really significant asset is doubtful.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...