Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Laraque claims Hughes does the contracts but Gorton is the real GM ... not that I am in ANY way a big fan of/believer in Georges Laraque.

Neither of them do the contracts - John Sedgwick does the heavy lifting on contract discussions.  I remember reading an interview with Hughes a little while back where that was mentioned.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Neither of them do the contracts - John Sedgwick does the heavy lifting on contract discussions.  I remember reading an interview with Hughes a little while back where that was mentioned.

AS I said ... not in ANY way a big fan of/believer in Georges Laraque ... or Tony Marinaro for that matter.

Interesting comment by Friedman.

Still seem off putting that Dubois has already publicly given up on the Jets.

But, he is pretty good player.

“Jets have talked to the Canadiens on and off about Dubois, we know that Dubois is gonna end up there 95%, is there someway we can make a deal so the Canadiens get him earlier and we get something we want? They’ve talked about that”. ~ Elliotte Friedman

From what I would credit as a more reliable source than Laraque, Kypreos or Marinaro

Renaud Lavoie:

• makes no sense to me
  • Gorton loves Montreal
  • Jeff is taking French lessons and sometimes responds to "me" in French

1 hour ago, DON said:

“Jets have talked to the Canadiens on and off about Dubois, we know that Dubois is gonna end up there 95%, is there someway we can make a deal so the Canadiens get him earlier and we get something we want? They’ve talked about that”. ~ Elliotte Friedman

Not certain that Jets have "given up on Dubois", privately or publicly ... even if the discussions occurred ... GMs deal with the now and the future ... Kevin Cheveldayoff's role in the "now" is pretty much done for this season ... unless/until they extend PLD the Jets have to prepare plan B, C, D, E, etc.

The $64,000 Question, especially about the "publicly" aspect, is who is Freidman's source ...
(a) Hughes, Gorton and/or Cheveldayoff themelves ... (b) someone else in either team's management ... a GM or management type from another team who claims they were told by (a) or (b) ... Dubois' agent ... another agent who claims the knowledge ... or just Elliotte being bold (IMO by FAR, FAR, FAR the LEAST likely option)

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain that Jets have "given up on Dubois", privately or publicly ... even if the discussions occurred ... GMs deal with the now and the future ... Kevin Cheveldayoff's role in the "now" is pretty much done for this season ... unless/until they extend PLD the Jets have to prepare plan B, C, D, E, etc.

The $64,000 Question, especially about the "publicly" aspect, is who is Freidman's source ...
(a) Hughes, Gorton and/or Cheveldayoff themelves ... (b) someone else in either team's management ... a GM or management type from another team who claims they were told by (a) or (b) ... Dubois' agent ... another agent who claims the knowledge ... or just Elliotte being bold (IMO the by FAR, FAR, FAR the LEAST likely option)

💯 spot on 👍

I agree that Friedman is likely not prognosticating. I consider him a trustworthy and legitimate source. But yes, the source of that information would add needed context. 

I can’t see in anyway, short of an injury, where Dubious isn’t wearing blue, blanc, rougue, no later than 2024/2025 season start.  IMO

I'm growing more and more optimistic that a deal will be done after the draft lottery involving FLA 1st and Dvorak. Who or what else is yet to be determined...

Maybe a Dman prospect considering we snatched Kovacevic from them on the free as well.

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'm growing more and more optimistic that a deal will be done after the draft lottery involving FLA 1st and Dvorak. Who or what else is yet to be determined...

Maybe a Dman prospect considering we snatched Kovacevic from them on the free as well.

That does seem like a reasonable basis for a deal. 

10 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That does seem like a reasonable basis for a deal. 

This deal has me humming and hawing so it likely is a reasonable basis for a deal. 

I would wish for that pick to be Calgary’s though. Unless Florida pick is 28 or something 

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This deal has me humming and hawing so it likely is a reasonable basis for a deal. 

I would wish for that pick to be Calgary’s though. Unless Florida pick is 28 or something 

If Winnipeg decides to rebuild than a mid 1st round pick would be attractive to them. Dubois is still only 24, if they traded for him this summer and signed him to an 8year deal at 7-8 million per year then the Habs rebuild just got accelerated. 

Or they could wait and see how the ping pong balls fall and maybe get Bedard instead (here I go dreaming again). 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Renaud Lavoie:

• makes no sense to me
  • Gorton loves Montreal
  • Jeff is taking French lessons and sometimes responds to "me" in French

Definitely a better source but I don't know why the idea doesn't make sense to him.  Gorton is basically the president of hockey operations, it's just that Molson doesn't want to give up the title.  The person in that role is responsible for setting the organization-wide objectives but typically not the one tasked with going out and executing those.  That's what the GM and his staff are for.  Gorton, a long-time executive, isn't doing what he normally does so if he misses being more involved in the day-to-day grind - a concept that isn't crazy to me - then yeah, it seems plausible that he might look to find a GM job that more fits what he's used to doing.  He'd be giving up some stability and money to do so but if a GM job made him happier, he'd probably want to pursue one.

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Definitely a better source but I don't know why the idea doesn't make sense to him.  Gorton is basically the president of hockey operations, it's just that Molson doesn't want to give up the title.  The person in that role is responsible for setting the organization-wide objectives but typically not the one tasked with going out and executing those.  That's what the GM and his staff are for.  Gorton, a long-time executive, isn't doing what he normally does so if he misses being more involved in the day-to-day grind - a concept that isn't crazy to me - then yeah, it seems plausible that he might look to find a GM job that more fits what he's used to doing.  He'd be giving up some stability and money to do so but if a GM job made him happier, he'd probably want to pursue one.

Is Molson not giving up the responsibilities, or just not giving up the title?

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Is Molson not giving up the responsibilities, or just not giving up the title?

I can't say for sure but I imagine most of the hockey ops responsibilities were given to Gorton.  I don't see how he'd have taken the job otherwise to be a figurehead. 

15 hours ago, DON said:

Friedman is an excellent source. This gives me hope that PLD may actually come here - which would certainly accelerate the rebuild and, with him, Suze, and Dach down the middle, give us a C configuration to be feared. 👍We’ll see what happens, but this is promising.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if i heard this trivial bit before, or just forget.

"Caufield was reportedly not too pleased about having to stay for a second season with the Badgers, since he thought he was ready for the NHL. But when the disappointment had settled, he made sure that he would round out his game and become a more overall complete player. One season later, he had not only won the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in college hockey, but also featured in — and excelled during — the unlikely playoff run which ended with the Habs playing Tampa in the Stanley Cup Finals."

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/gavin-brindley-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings/

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not sure if i heard this trivial bit before, or just forget.

"Caufield was reportedly not too pleased about having to stay for a second season with the Badgers, since he thought he was ready for the NHL. But when the disappointment had settled, he made sure that he would round out his game and become a more overall complete player. One season later, he had not only won the Hobey Baker Award as the top player in college hockey, but also featured in — and excelled during — the unlikely playoff run which ended with the Habs playing Tampa in the Stanley Cup Finals."

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/gavin-brindley-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings/

The key word is "reportedly" ... overall, I think he would hopefully admit it worked out for the best

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Certainly one downside with waiting until he is a UFA is that the contract will likely be bigger as other teams will be bidding.  Tavares's contract has been a burden for the Leafs.  Plus Tavares was 28 in his 1st year with the Leafs, still in his prime but Dubois is only 24.  I think Hughes will do the right thing and a lot will depend on how the lottery balls fall. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think if the Habs are fortunate to draft 1 or 2 (move up in the lottery) and are able to get get Bedard or Fantilli then their interest in Dubois will be lessened. 

OK, thanks. 

I see what you mean; but i dont think stops both happening. If can add Dubois and top line franchise forward all the better.

I assume Jets price something like; a 1st, a 2nd & Harris (and they have to take Armia back).

Or more painful than that (Beck, Mailloux or Hutson), i dont know trades.

3 hours ago, DON said:

OK, thanks. 

I see what you mean; but i dont think stops both happening. If can add Dubois and top line franchise forward all the better.

I don't think it stops both from happening but perhaps lessens the odds of both from happening.