Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

Gauthier as GM. Disaster in the making. Hopefully his tenure is exceedingly short.

Shame about Bob, but I think patience was lost - despite the fact that I believe the club had turned things around with his house cleaning.

I suppose this paves the way for Serge Savard to take control.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OHHHH YESSSS!

Yes, I'm happy. Gainey clearly didnt knew how to deal with the new NHL and the cap. His recipe in Dallas didnt work anymore. As I've said many times, only 1 win in the 2nd round of the playoffs in 5 years is a failure.

I'm not high on Gauthier. As saskhab pointed out, Gauthier was responsible of the pro scouting, which didnt bring us much luck. Hopefully if Gauthier becomes GM it means someone else becomes pro scout.

In any case, Gainey wasnt the Molson's man. Gainey is part of the Habs family, but Serge Savard is part of the Molson's close circle. And Serge Savard doesnt like what Gainey has done of the Habs. So there was no fan of Bob at the top of the Habs hierachy.

Gainey gambled alot on Price and it didnt bear fruit. He saw that Halak -- not Price -- was his only playoff ticket. Financial matters made it worse. He painted himself in a corner he saw no way out of. It'll be easier for Gauthier to liquidate assets Gainey bought.

I think the timing is thoughtful, because the team's future is uncertain and a big part may hinder in the coming weeks with the trade deadline and the players they have to make decisions about. Better know than season's end if he is to do it.

I smell Vinny, Price and Pleks moves by the Molson's ( making decisions ) in the coming weeks.

Good luck to Bob!

Well, if management is stepping on toes making player decisions (seems likely) then Montreal will become a laughing stock. Which is fine, more time for me to enjoy the rest of my life. :P If Gauthier steps in as permanent GM, then Montreal likely will become a laughing stock. His track record leaves me fairly certain that he's destined to fail - again and again. If Serge becomes GM of the Habs, then there's a ray of hope, though I'm not sure how big. His time was more than a decade ago. He may not have liked what Bob was doing, but from what I understand of what he wants, we're going to have a huge star (read: massive cap hit) and he'll have room for little else.

If he did resign because of meddling toes, then I'm extremely disappointed because the reality is his new edition never got a fair shot. Has the team played even one game fully healthy yet? And yet they're still in a playoff position.

Well, if management is stepping on toes making player decisions (seems likely) then Montreal will become a laughing stock. Which is fine, more time for me to enjoy the rest of my life. :P If Gauthier steps in as permanent GM, then Montreal likely will become a laughing stock. His track record leaves me fairly certain that he's destined to fail - again and again. If Serge becomes GM of the Habs, then there's a ray of hope, though I'm not sure how big. His time was more than a decade ago. He may not have liked what Bob was doing, but from what I understand of what he wants, we're going to have a huge star (read: massive cap hit) and he'll have room for little else.

If he did resign because of meddling toes, then I'm extremely disappointed because the reality is his new edition never got a fair shot. Has the team played even one game fully healthy yet? And yet they're still in a playoff position.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

So Gainey doesn't know how to GM in the cap world, but somehow Savard would? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Time to get a guy that's actually actively employed in the NHL in recent years to be the GM.

Or me. ^_^

So Gainey doesn't know how to GM in the cap world, but somehow Savard would? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Time to get a guy that's actually actively employed in the NHL in recent years to be the GM.

Or me. ^_^

Watch for Dale Tallon's name to surface after the season, a Quebec born GM with lots of recent experience.

When the Leafs were searching for a GM, most Leaf fans would've told you that their #1 choice was Brian Burke. So the question remains, if Gauthier is indeed the Interim GM. Who's at the top of our wishlist?

I don't have a good feeling about this.

Line in the sand over Price? Bob refused to move him and management wanted to go with Halak? In essense, management wants to give up on a 22-year old kid? Just spitballing, but if this is even remotely close to the reason, then we're in for a Harold Ballardian era here in Montreal. I can see things like the Spacek signing being part of the reason he may be forced out, but if this boils down to the goalie situation, then Montreal is being run by children.

Of course, it's all speculation.

Hopefully Bob decided to resign because of family issues, or because he wanted out of hockey - lost his passion.

I just have a lot of fear that Harold Ballard has been reincarnated in the Molson kids.

When the Leafs were searching for a GM, most Leaf fans would've told you that their #1 choice was Brian Burke. So the question remains, if Gauthier is indeed the Interim GM. Who's at the top of our wishlist?

Flight of fancy...but I really wouldn't mind Pierre McGuire as a GM. I know gonna get blasted for this, but what Montreal has missed a lot of lately has been that sandpaper and grit, and McGuire seems big on it, a Montreal guy...can deal with the media.

Line in the sand over Price? Bob refused to move him and management wanted to go with Halak? In essense, management wants to give up on a 22-year old kid? Just spitballing, but if this is even remotely close to the reason, then we're in for a Harold Ballardian era here in Montreal. I can see things like the Spacek signing being part of the reason he may be forced out, but if this boils down to the goalie situation, then Montreal is being run by children.

Of course, it's all speculation.

Hopefully Bob decided to resign because of family issues, or because he wanted out of hockey - lost his passion.

I just have a lot of fear that Harold Ballard has been reincarnated in the Molson kids.

This is my biggest fear. Good ownership does not stick their nose in personnel decisions.

To be honest, I think this is probably the reason. If anything, I think he just stuck around as long as he did out of a sense of duty to the organization with the Centennial and the ownership change. A lot of people here seem really cynical/suspicious, I see a situation that isn't unlike Bob Clarke in Philly, who said he was just burnt out.

To be honest, I think this is probably the reason. If anything, I think he just stuck around as long as he did out of a sense of duty to the organization with the Centennial and the ownership change. A lot of people here seem really cynical/suspicious, I see a situation that isn't unlike Bob Clarke in Philly, who said he was just burnt out.

Let's hope you are right and we are all just pessimistic because of the lack of success over the last 15 years.

IMO the Habs should follow the same model as applied to the JM hiring.

The guy (or gal) with the most amount of experience.

Then again that could f*** up on me cuz as far as I know Melrozzz and that other douche are out there too

IMO the Habs should follow the same model as applied to the JM hiring.

The guy (or gal) with the most amount of experience.

Then again that could f*** up on me cuz as far as I know Melrozzz and that other douche are out there too

In that instance, the same model may yield the same result as Martin has GM experience.