Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

There will always be conspiracy theories...

Who knows what went on, but to me this makes sense on several levels. First, Bob likely always had a 5-6 year window in mind - and as it happens he stayed long enough to see the fate of the rebuild and to mop up its awful aftermath. Second, the death of his daughter and birth of his grandchildren may also have played a role in generally turning him toward retirement.

As for timing, last summer would have been terrible timing. The organization needed stability in order to lure talent, and Bob probably felt it was his duty to take care of the mess, to leave a legacy. Retiring last summer, after July 1, would have raised even more questions ('did the owners not like the new moves?' Etc.).

He probably liked the idea of being GM during the 100th Anniversay bash, too. So

Had the team really taken flight and made a case for itself as a contender, I suppose Bob might have been tempted to stick around. But he probably realized pretty quickly (and was probably not surprised to realize) that this team isn't ready yet, so he was looking at more years of agonizing decisions with no sure reward.

Retiring *this* coming summer would be interpreted as being 'forced out' because of poor results on the ice. So no matter what he did, people would think it smelled fishy.

There's also the Olympic break, providing a suitable window for the transition. And by leaving in mid-stream he minimizes the likelihood of the organization going beyond Gauthier in its talent search.

Finally, he may simply feel that Gauthier is fully ready for the big chair and sufficiently up to speed that he requires no big transition period. If that's so, then why not now?

I don't know why fans have to read all sorts of awful drama into it.

I agree - I doubt if there is any conspirency theories to read into the situation. However, being habs fans with the history behind the stories behind the Richard and Lafleur retirements, dumping of Harvey, Plante, Carboneau and even Roy even after he reportedly tried to reconcile with mgmt, can you really blame most habs fans?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree - I doubt if there is any conspirency theories to read into the situation. However, being habs fans with the history behind the stories behind the Richard and Lafleur retirements, dumping of Harvey, Plante, Carboneau and even Roy even after he reportedly tried to reconcile with mgmt, can you really blame most habs fans?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Mid-season?!! No way!

And don't forget, it's in everyone's interest (Gainey and the Habs) to pretend that it's all amicable. It wouldn't benefit anyone for the real story to come out (and we won't learn what really happened for years and years, folks.) It took Wade Phillips *7 years* before he finally admitted Ralph Wilson forced him to use Johnson in that Tenessee miracle playoff game. He kept quiet all those years, even after Wilson fired him.

And don't forget, it's in everyone's interest (Gainey and the Habs) to pretend that it's all amicable. It wouldn't benefit anyone for the real story to come out (and we won't learn what really happened for years and years, folks.) It took Wade Phillips *7 years* before he finally admitted Ralph Wilson forced him to use Johnson in that Tenessee miracle playoff game. He kept quiet all those years, even after Wilson fired him.

You could be right and you raise valid points, jackp. But until I hear otherwise, I'm believing Gainey's story. Gainey's explanation isn't out of the realm of possibility, and given his honesty and straightforwardness up to this point I don't think there's any reason to mistrust the man.

I think we learned today what really happened. But knock yourself out, and try to find a story that isn't there. I'm a father, I'm amazed Bob lasted as long as he did, given the tragedy he had to endure. I guess nobody is allowed to move on in life anymore, without the second guessing. As for mid-season, check out Mr. Cucumber's post. He sums it up nicely.

We've been stagnating for 2 seasons, with the prospect of losing Halak and Plekanec for nothing. Gauthier dont seems to be wanting to do any rebuild. Maybe he feels too old for that. In any case, Gainey might have been suffering from a case of mental saturation. You know, when you have to do too much in too short a time and nothing seems to ever settle. You're spent, can't think clearly anymore. Not the ideal frame of mind to solve salary caps problems through trades and such while worrying about making the playoffs.

Halak for nothing? The only way they lose Halak for nothing is if he splits to the KHL.

He is an RFA and if he gets in 40 starts, why should he leave? He wants to play, he is getting to play.

The Canadiens would be wise to resign both and see if Price makes any more strides next season, if

he doesn't, then you make your decision. Making it right now is too big a gamble.

Halak for nothing? The only way they lose Halak for nothing is if he splits to the KHL.

He is an RFA and if he gets in 40 starts, why should he leave? He wants to play, he is getting to play.

The Canadiens would be wise to resign both and see if Price makes any more strides next season, if

he doesn't, then you make your decision. Making it right now is too big a gamble.

Exactly. Halak bolting to the KHL was the recent rumor. Not that I buy it, but the risk is there nonetheless. PLaying is one thing, getting paid as such another. How much do you think he'd be worth?

Exactly. Halak bolting to the KHL was the recent rumor. Not that I buy it, but the risk is there nonetheless. PLaying is one thing, getting paid as such another. How much do you think he'd be worth?

That was the rumor two years ago as well, and he signed a two year contract to presumably back up/compete with Price. He isn't a backup right now at all, so I don't know if he'd want to do it, but I guess it's all possible. It's also possible a KHL team puts down a $4m per year offer on Benoit Poliout like what happened with Hudler in Detroit. Nature of the biz.

A mid-season retirement like this is either a firing or a fundamental disagreement he couldn't live with. Those who speculate on his not being allowed to trade Halak could be right. Just as those who think that the new ownership has decided to go in a different direction could be true too.

One thing for sure, a mid-season retirement is not normal, no matter what spin Gainey puts on it.

I don't buy it at all. If it was a firing, they would never go with Gainey's assistant, and even less if the guy seems to look just like Gainey... so far...

Gauthier is the replacement period and not the interim?

Here is a quote from an article written by Hickey.

"Team president Pierre Boivin said he considered looking outside the organization for Gainey's replacement, but that it was a brief look. He noted that the list of qualified candidates didn't go on "ad infinitum" and that Gauthier met the major criteria for the job - experience and an ability to communicate in both languages."

I have a very bad feeling about this. I don't think we will get anyone as good as Gainey.

Remember when he came and gave the fans hell for booing Brisebois. Or when he sent Kovalev home to think. These were great moves by a great man.

I'm expecting a steep decline over 3 years followed by a very depressing team for at least the next 10 years.

Edited by Peter Puck

I have a very bad feeling about this. I don't think we will get anyone as good as Gainey.

Remember when he came and gave the fans hell for booing Brisebois. Or when he sent Kovalev home to think. These were great moves by a great man.

I'm expecting a steep decline over 3 years followed by a very depressing team for at least the next 10 years.

Good points. He was also able to convince SK 74 to remain at Hamilton. Obviously, he had enormous influence on the players. On the other hand, Gauthier was his man and I believe that he is capable of doing the job. IMO what's in place is better than a lot of nay-sayers might think. Gauthier has been part of the players' selection and he won't jeopardize the team's future. I might be wrong, but I think that it will be a prudent and deliberate tenure, at least in the first year.

I am sad to see Bob go at this time, but I feel confident because he has been strong enough to hire strong hockey men to help him. That will be his legacy.

JMHO

There will always be conspiracy theories...

Who knows what went on, but to me this makes sense on several levels. First, Bob likely always had a 5-6 year window in mind - and as it happens he stayed long enough to see the fate of the rebuild and to mop up its awful aftermath. Second, the death of his daughter and birth of his grandchildren may also have played a role in generally turning him toward retirement.

As for timing, last summer would have been terrible timing. The organization needed stability in order to lure talent, and Bob probably felt it was his duty to take care of the mess, to leave a legacy. Retiring last summer, after July 1, would have raised even more questions ('did the owners not like the new moves?' Etc.).

He probably liked the idea of being GM during the 100th Anniversay bash, too.

Had the team really taken flight and made a case for itself as a contender, I suppose Bob might have been tempted to stick around. But he probably realized pretty quickly (and was probably not surprised to realize) that this team isn't ready yet, so he was looking at more years of agonizing decisions with no sure reward.

Retiring *this* coming summer would be interpreted as being 'forced out' because of poor results on the ice. So no matter what he did, people would think it smelled fishy.

There's also the Olympic break, providing a suitable window for the transition. And by leaving in mid-stream he minimizes the likelihood of the organization going beyond Gauthier in its talent search.

Finally, he may simply feel that Gauthier is fully ready for the big chair and sufficiently up to speed that he requires no big transition period. If that's so, then why not now?

I don't know why fans have to read all sorts of awful drama into it.

No need to add anything, you said it all Mr. Cucumber. Excellent post.

Mid-season is not that surprising. We are coming up on the trade deadline and he is essentially letting Gauthier run with it. For a GM, this is the start of the next season.. deadline day, draft, Free Agents. After that, it is sit back and see how you did.

He has had ample time to see how he did last year (not good enough in most people's opinions), so it is time to go.

I don't know, something about this whole thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If he didn't have the drive to stick it out for a few more years, why did he wait till now to step down? Why did he totally reshape the team himself if he didn't plan to stick around long term? He found a new coach and reshaped over half the roster without the intention to stick it out? He should have stepped down after last season if that were the case. A new vision could have brought in and shaped the team how they wanted. Now, the next person is stuck with somebody else's mess. It seems like he was either forced out or saw that his new vision was no better than the last and decided to get out while the getting was good. Since I have a lot of respect for Bob, I find the latter to not be a real possibility. I don't see Bob as a quitter. I think he was pressured out and is doing it amicably.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I don't know, something about this whole thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If he didn't have the drive to stick it out for a few more years, why did he wait till now to step down? Why did he totally reshape the team himself if he didn't plan to stick around long term? He found a new coach and reshaped over half the roster without the intention to stick it out? He should have stepped down after last season if that were the case. A new vision could have brought in and shaped the team how they wanted. Now, the next person is stuck with somebody else's mess. It seems like he was either forced out or saw that his new vision was no better than the last and decided to get out while the getting was good.

Well, Gauthier was in on every one of those decisions, so I think the point is kind of moot. I honestly think Gainey just suck around out of a sense of duty... they needed stability through the ownership change as well as to the Centennial. I think it's not a coincidence that after the Centennial has passed and things have settled in ownership, he's officially handed over the reigns.

Thanks Bob! I'll miss you.

And I don't have a big problem with the team. If I remember correctly, most of you wanted Plekanec gone after last seasons poor numbers... now you want him signed long-term. Most wanted Andrei Kostitsyn gone after 15 games. Latendresse sucks, get rid of him... no, he doesn't suck, we want him back. People are so reactionary these days. Patience is key.

Patience is key with Price too. I believe he has more wins than Brodeur had at this age. Is he Brodeur? No. Maybe. Who knows. But it just shows how young he is.

We're in 6th place with all of these injuries... add a full season of Cammy, Markov, Gionta, A. Kostitsyn, etc... and Bob may have left on a higher note.

Well, I miss Gainey already. He wasn't perfect as a GM, but he also wasn't very lucky, and he remains one of the few public figures I truly admire. He is universally recognized as a true class act and a true leader, and whatever else he did, I believe that he re-constituted the Habs on a solid footing of sound organizational culture and organizational practice.

The lunacy of popular alternatives to Gauthier - e.g., all the people saying that want Pierre MacGuire - just shows how empty most of the 'fire Bob' argument has been. Very, very, very few people out there have a CV to match Gainey's; if we were to do a search for a new GM he would still top the list based on qualifications alone.

The criticisms of timing are bunk IMHO. There WAS no time Gainey could have left that would not have triggered the same folderol about him being pushed out, etc.. This is as good a time as any, especially considering that the transition should be very smooth given Gauthier's previous role.

Gauthier's CV is solid and he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Thank you Bob Gainey. :hlogo:

Gainey wasn't perfect as a GM, but he had some great moves and some bad ones.

Do you guys have the feeling that Bob's bad moves were rushed moves, because of the high pressure and expectations from Canadiens fans?

I also don't think the timing was half bad - this is just speculation, but Bob may have been ready to step down during the last offseason, but after the disaster of last season's collapse, I think he felt it was his duty to drastically change the culture of this team and not leave a rotten core to his replacement. Well, mission accomplished, while I am still not a fan of how he spent so close to the cap (and in general his cap management), most of us still like the new one much better, and he did leave Gauthier with enough good pieces to make some improvements on his own without having to (potentially) take a fall for a hi-risk retool that could've not worked.

If you look at his short-term goal in terms of improving the culture and the base to build on (having recognised the failure of the 1st rebuild to make us a contender), rather than icing a contender this year at any cost, his behaviour this year in general makes sense. He also went and semi-fixed his own mistake in Laraque, rather than leaving that ballast to his replacement. And if you think Georges was vocal after universally respected Bob Gainey essentially fired him, you can only imagine what he'd have to say about just about anyone else - again, another quiet move that further helps stabilize this franchise.

Having heard Gauthier's comments and slept on it, I feel a little better about this choice, thought he still wouldn't be my first choice for a GM. But there is enough there to suggest continuity, and since I liked Bob, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic, let's leave the man's actions to speak for themselves before we judge.....

Thanks Bob! I'll miss you.

And I don't have a big problem with the team. If I remember correctly, most of you wanted Plekanec gone after last seasons poor numbers... now you want him signed long-term. Most wanted Andrei Kostitsyn gone after 15 games. Latendresse sucks, get rid of him... no, he doesn't suck, we want him back. People are so reactionary these days. Patience is key.

Patience is key with Price too. I believe he has more wins than Brodeur had at this age. Is he Brodeur? No. Maybe. Who knows. But it just shows how young he is.

We're in 6th place with all of these injuries... add a full season of Cammy, Markov, Gionta, A. Kostitsyn, etc... and Bob may have left on a higher note.

That's exactly how I see it. Uncle Bob is a hell of a lot less reactionary than we are. He doesn't have the luxury of blowing up the team and tanking... which is accounting... not sports... in Montreal

He made the good moves and non-moves to go for it when we had a good shot and injuries mostly killed it and shelled Price.

If Mr G lost faith in Price, this would have ruined the young goalie. He played it patient and intelligent.

I believe Mr G found he no longer had the interest to lead the team and I believe that this idea just gradually formed to the point where he just picked a plausible exit time, ,,before the trade deadline.. out of respect for his successor.

Thanks very, very much Mr Gainey for being the great man you are, and for lending us Montrealophiles your intelligence and leadership.

I think you did an excellent job and restored hope, transient as sport hopes are, to a whole bunch of us.

Bon voyage for the future.

Well, I miss Gainey already. He wasn't perfect as a GM, but he also wasn't very lucky, and he remains one of the few public figures I truly admire. He is universally recognized as a true class act and a true leader, and whatever else he did, I believe that he re-constituted the Habs on a solid footing of sound organizational culture and organizational practice.

The lunacy of popular alternatives to Gauthier - e.g., all the people saying that want Pierre MacGuire - just shows how empty most of the 'fire Bob' argument has been. Very, very, very few people out there have a CV to match Gainey's; if we were to do a search for a new GM he would still top the list based on qualifications alone.

The criticisms of timing are bunk IMHO. There WAS no time Gainey could have left that would not have triggered the same folderol about him being pushed out, etc.. This is as good a time as any, especially considering that the transition should be very smooth given Gauthier's previous role.

Gauthier's CV is solid and he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now.

Thank you Bob Gainey. :hlogo:

Amen.

According to the local Toronto radio here, Gainey WAS shopping Halak around and, according to them, there was A LOT of interest. Apparently, Detroit was the team most interested.

I personally think Gainey wanted to pull the trigger and wasn't allowed to. With a guy like him, that would be grounds to retire. He would feel he had the responsibility, without the authority.

So, Lassiter et. al. who said the trade was going to happen, you were right to a certain degree. If Gainey had had his way, it would have happened but, thank god, cooler (and saner) heads prevailed.

Gauthier has already said that both goalies would not be traded.

As a sidenote, the guy on the radio (Bob McCowan?) said that he doesn't understand Montreal fans: they think Price is going to turn into the next Patrick Roy and, according to him, it just isn't gonna happen.