Caps @ Habs - February 10th, 2010

bar

Well they played really well for 2 periods and tried to sit on it in the third which still doesn't work. In the end they showed some good character and pulled off a huge win against the best team in the league.

Most everyone chipped in positively at some point of the game. Unfortunately they still haven't learned to play smart hockey, get the puck deep when you have a lead, stop taking dumb penalties, they had 4 or 5 in the offensive zone. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

I liked Pyatt Gomez Gionta, Sk was pretty good, Quietly Moen and Lapierre were good.

You can't complain much about that one, i'm sure Price would want the 4th one back, or if Hamrlik knew what to do on the point with a 2 goal lead it wouldn't have even happened.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov played more than 30 minutes; he was exhausted and said so after the game. Same thing with Hamrlik who made a couple of big mistakes, notably on the 4th goal.

Agreed. You should have seen Hamrlik between the 3rd period and Overtime. He spent the entire 2 minutes leaning up against the boards breathing heavily! Even after the game was over, Hamr was still exausted! Can we blame him, our boys played 2/3 of the game with 5 d-men!

Sergei Kostitsyn has been saved. Hell of a game. He was forcing turnovers, drawing penalties, making great passes, killing penalties... he was the best player on the ice last night. And he's been good for quite some time now.

Can someone start a goaltenting thread so the rest of us can read posts not about the goalies. Man is that old. Price wins you bitch, Price loses you bitch.

i agree its hard to get into a game thread or what to read it when most of it is just about the goalies...

i just find it funny that ever game that is won or lose is base on the goalies play..try to keep in mind that its a team sport..if this keeps up in montreal if i was a goalie i would never sign a deal to play here..its a bit sad really..

Do you think we can expect this style of hockey from now on, or is this just a flash in the pan? This type of hockey was exciting and fast paced, and didn't seem like the JM style. Maybe he's turned a corner and now see's that the team make up cannot foster his defensive style.

Do you think we can expect this style of hockey from now on, or is this just a flash in the pan? This type of hockey was exciting and fast paced, and didn't seem like the JM style. Maybe he's turned a corner and now see's that the team make up cannot foster his defensive style.

the only thing that i could think is he changes his game plan depending on the team we are playing..but i agree i think the way we played last night works better for the players we have...its time to take the leash of and let these guys fly..

I don't neccesarily expect the Habs to play any one style under Martin... I think the goal is for the team to adjust their game plan to suit what needs to get done. You just can't sit back and let the Capitals come at you, your best bet is to get on their D and make life difficult back there (same as how people play us, actually). Against a team like Buffalo, I wouldn't expect the same aggressive play.

That's my take on it, at least.

Yeah, they tried the sit back style against the Bruins..and it did not work, I think with physical teams they have to beat the other teams to the punch so to speak, get that first jab in.

I think it's just another flash in thepan. Remember on Jan 22nd and 23rd when our boys marched into N-J and beat the Devils and then they destroyed the Rangeers the foloowing day!?!? What happenned after that? OUr boys lost three important games against 3 teams with whom we are fighting for a playoffs spot.

I just hope we can pick up 2 points against the Flyers this week-end!

BTW, am I mistaken or have I seen a better D'Agostini yesterday night? Let's hope that it is just an awakening from a very deep slumber.

Meh... I was there and he did not do anything to made him stand out! He's playing cause we have soo many injuries. When the regulars will come back, he'll be sent to Hamilton!

I think it's just another flash in thepan. Remember on Jan 22nd and 23rd when our boys marched into N-J and beat the Devils and then they destroyed the Rangeers the foloowing day!?!? What happenned after that? OUr boys lost three important games against 3 teams with whom we are fighting for a playoffs spot.

Meh... I was there and he did not do anything to made him stand out! He's playing cause we have soo many injuries. When the regulars will come back, he'll be sent to Hamilton!

I do not think he clears waivers. If he has to clear waivers some team will pick him up.

Agreed. You should have seen Hamrlik between the 3rd period and Overtime. He spent the entire 2 minutes leaning up against the boards breathing heavily! Even after the game was over, Hamr was still exausted! Can we blame him, our boys played 2/3 of the game with 5 d-men!

Yeah that struck me too. Even while Habs were celebrating around Plekanec, Hamrlik was leaning on the net and still trying to catch his breath lol. He still has tons of energy fora veteran and plays with great constency. Nice to see veterans give the example and put their 100% on the line.

You don't remember the pass to Metropolit late in the 3rd. He got hit along the board but managed to hold on to the puck and lift it to Met who had an excellent shot on goal. It would have made it 6-3 at a strategic time. You can't blame him if Met was not able to finish the job. I also remember that he hit the post earlier in the 2nd period. Their goalie looked behind his shoulder; he thought he was beaten.

I did not mean that he had a great game; just that he looked better. At least his line did not give anything while he was on the ice.

Well they played really well for 2 periods and tried to sit on it in the third which still doesn't work. ...

Unfortunately they still haven't learned to play smart hockey, get the puck deep when you have a lead, stop taking dumb penalties, they had 4 or 5 in the offensive zone.

All teams do this and I don't know why. "All a prevent defence prevents is victory!"

I can remember the powerhouse Habs of the late 70s doing the exact same thing. You have to be so intense to play winning NHL hockey, and I think it's natural and human to "relax" a bit when you have a big lead. Also, most guys are tired by the 3rd period and you're more likely to see defensive breakdowns then.

On another note, the intensive forechecking is a better game for us to play, *regardless of who the opposition is.* We're not good in our own zone, so might as well try to minimize the time we spend there.

To be honest, I think that early penalty by Plekanec and the quick PP goal just set the wheels in motion for the Caps. Despite that, the Habs showed some push between 5-10 minutes into the 3rd and Theodore made a great glove save to keep the score 5-3.

It wasn't so much that they played prevent defence, it's just the Caps are that freaking good.

With teams that have defensive holes they can play like that. With teams that are sound defensively, the oompa loompas up there just get shoved around. I wish they could play agressive forecheck every game. I'm all for the slower entry and limiting stretch passing so you have forward support in your own zone and the neutral zone, but when you are in their zone, ya gotta press.

Edited by BCHabnut

All teams do this and I don't know why. "All a prevent defence prevents is victory!"

I can remember the powerhouse Habs of the late 70s doing the exact same thing. You have to be so intense to play winning NHL hockey, and I think it's natural and human to "relax" a bit when you have a big lead. Also, most guys are tired by the 3rd period and you're more likely to see defensive breakdowns then.

On another note, the intensive forechecking is a better game for us to play, *regardless of who the opposition is.* We're not good in our own zone, so might as well try to minimize the time we spend there.

Yup, the Caps looked really tired in the 3rd to me!!

Agree that aggressive play by us for 60 or 65 minutes is the only way for us to be successful. For me, the 3rd period last night defined a JM coached team. Listening to that twit Pierre McGuire was nauseating enough, but he says that Muller is the one that pushes our guys to be aggressive of the forecheck and to not sit back.

So, which Habs team shows up against Philly? Mullers or Martins?

A very exciting game. Sure it would of been nice for the Habs to be able to hold a lead but we just beat the hottest and to debate the best best team in the league, as injury riddled as we are. It doesn't matter how you win the games, as long as you win them.

Am I allowed to give credit to the Caps for the 2 on 1 goal ??? Or should I just bash on the Habs players involved ?

I think i'll go with the 2nd option cuz the first doesn't make any sense.

Am I allowed to give credit to the Caps for the 2 on 1 goal ??? Or should I just bash on the Habs players involved ?

I think i'll go with the 2nd option cuz the first doesn't make any sense.

Nope. Obviously the Caps are no good at creating scoring chances and finding the back of the net, the Habs just give up those opportunities all the time. ^_^

Nope. Obviously the Caps are no good at creating scoring chances and finding the back of the net, the Habs just give up those opportunities all the time. ^_^

You know, you guys are cherry picking. Most of the posts in this thread have been positive.

As to the person who said the Caps looked tired in the 3rd sarcastically, you missed my point. Both teams ARE tired, but the team behind stays intense (usually). They also take more chances than the team that's ahead (more pinching, etc.). It's the team that's ahead (especially if by more than one) that might tend to relax a bit. If you've played at all, you'd know that the winning coach starts exhorting his players in this situation. "Keep it up guys!" "C'mon, don't let up," etc.