2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

JoeLassister

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dutch women winning the women snowboard competition, how awesome is that!

We have no hills, we hardly have snow! And she's is no import!! Pure Dutch!

Where can she train? The Alps?

You know she probably tried for speed skating first, right? :P

What a bogus disqualification given to Apollo Ohno last night. He didn't push the Canadian skater at all. The Canadian who ended up winning looked closed to a dsq than Ohno did.

I can't find a slow motion replay video, but they showed it 50 times yesterday. I don't think Hamelin should have been dsq, and don't really think Ohno deserved it either. But what we saw is a little contact between Ohno and Tremblay and absolutely no contact between Hamelin and the Corean. I guess that kinda explain the ref's decision.

Bottom line, I was screaming really hard at the tv. What a finish !!!!

I can't find a slow motion replay video, but they showed it 50 times yesterday. I don't think Hamelin should have been dsq, and don't really think Ohno deserved it either. But what we saw is a little contact between Ohno and Tremblay and absolutely no contact between Hamelin and the Corean. I guess that kinda explain the ref's decision.

Bottom line, I was screaming really hard at the tv. What a finish !!!!

Didn't mean to imply Hamelin should have been DSQ'ed also, I was just pointing out he made about the same amount of contact as Ohno. It's not the best quality, but at about the 35 second mark it has a good angle. Hamelin's right hand makes contact with the Korean's waist. Like Ohno, there was not pushing motion, just contact with a guy who happened to fall. At least Hamelin's vaguely resembled a pushing motion, haha. No way there should have been any disqualifications during that race. Like Ohno, I definitely question having a Canadian official for a race in Canada involving two Canadians.

But, as the TV announcers are so fond of saying, that's the nature of short track - madness.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Didn't mean to imply Hamelin should have been DSQ'ed also, I was just pointing out he made about the same amount of contact as Ohno. It's not the best quality, but at about the 35 second mark it has a good angle. Hamelin's right hand makes contact with the Korean's waist. Like Ohno, there was not pushing motion, just contact with a guy who happened to fall. At least Hamelin's vaguely resembled a pushing motion, haha. No way there should have been any disqualifications during that race. Like Ohno, I definitely question having a Canadian official for a race in Canada involving two Canadians.

But, as the TV announcers are so fond of saying, that's the nature of short track - madness.

1. at the 35 second mark of what ?

2. Ok just took a look again. We clearly see a pushing motion from Ohno IN THE MIDDLE of the turn, not at the end. I think (think because I don't know the exact rules of the sport) this is why Ohno got dsq.

3. As for Hamelin, I think we definitely need the inside of the rink angle whe had yesterday. I was tipsy yesterday, but I remember saying that the Corean seemed to start falling before the contact and that Hamelin's hand was pushing air. Maybe it was alcohol and happiness though :)

1. at the 35 second mark of what ?

2. Ok just took a look again. We clearly see a pushing motion from Ohno IN THE MIDDLE of the turn, not at the end. I think (think because I don't know the exact rules of the sport) this is why Ohno got dsq.

3. As for Hamelin, I think we definitely need the inside of the rink angle whe had yesterday. I was tipsy yesterday, but I remember saying that the Corean seemed to start falling before the contact and that Hamelin's hand was pushing air. Maybe it was alcohol and happiness though :)

Oops, found a video and forgot the link. This was the version I was looking at. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwjZr2P7IIk

P.S. Corea? Never seen it spelled with a "C" before.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Oops, found a video and forgot the link. This was the version I was looking at. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwjZr2P7IIk

P.S. Corea? Never seen it spelled with a "C" before.

Your video is a good one for Ohno because we only see the end of the last turn. But check this one when the race is at 38s.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html...4&cid=sbtsn

And on your video on Youtube, watch at 39s, I don't think Hamelin's hand touch the Korean that much...

P.S. It is Corée in french... sorry.

I think Ohno fully deserved his DQ, the nudge was slight but happened right at the peak of the turn and it really wouldn't have taken much to send Tremblay to the ice.

And whining about it after in an interview? Give me a break, the guy has benefited from luck and questionable calls on countless occasions, take a sip of your own medicine :rolleyes:

Your video is a good one for Ohno because we only see the end of the last turn. But check this one when the race is at 38s.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html...4&cid=sbtsn

And on your video on Youtube, watch at 39s, I don't think Hamelin's hand touch the Korean that much...

P.S. It is Corée in french... sorry.

It was the only one I could find that you'd be able to see. NBC has the full race, but only for US IPs (and CTV's is only for Canadian IPs). Like I said, Hamelin definitely didn't deserve a DSQ, but his touch was really no different than Ohno's was my point.

Ok, was wondering if French might have something to do with the spelling. It always annoys me that proper nouns have their spelling changed in different languages. Unless you're using a completely different alphabet, why not keep proper nouns in their original form? (Not singling out French, it happens across the board.)

I think Ohno fully deserved his DQ, the nudge was slight but happened right at the peak of the turn and it really wouldn't have taken much to send Tremblay to the ice.

And whining about it after in an interview? Give me a break, the guy has benefited from luck and questionable calls on countless occasions, take a sip of your own medicine :rolleyes:

There was no nudge. Almost every time around the track guys put their hand on an opponents hip to protect themselves and let the person know they are there. If they're gonna DSQ him for touching a guy, every racer would get disqualified in every race, unless a guy leads start to finish and nobody gets beside him all race.

P.S. Just by his expression, he didn't sound totally serious to me.

Edited by Fanpuck33

There was no nudge. Almost every time around the track guys put their hand on an opponents hip to protect themselves and let the person know they are there. If they're gonna DSQ him for touching a guy, every racer would get disqualified in every race, unless a guy leads start to finish and nobody gets beside him all race.

P.S. Just by his expression, he didn't sound totally serious to me.

Then why did Tremblay fall? Didn't look like he lost an edge or anything. It is impossible to tell how much force Ohno put on Tremblay's hip from television.

It was the only one I could find that you'd be able to see. NBC has the full race, but only for US IPs (and CTV's is only for Canadian IPs). Like I said, Hamelin definitely didn't deserve a DSQ, but his touch was really no different than Ohno's was my point.

Ok, was wondering if French might have something to do with the spelling. It always annoys me that proper nouns have their spelling changed in different languages. Unless you're using a completely different alphabet, why not keep proper nouns in their original form? (Not singling out French, it happens across the board.)

Oh that's right, you're probably not able to see the vid.

And for the spelling of Korea-Corée, the original form is 한국 ....

Oh that's right, you're probably not able to see the vid.

And for the spelling of Korea-Corée, the original form is 한국 ....

All I see is two boxes with letters and numbers in them.

Then why did Tremblay fall? Didn't look like he lost an edge or anything. It is impossible to tell how much force Ohno put on Tremblay's hip from television.

Same reason as the Korean, he just slipped. If, as you say, it is impossible to tell if there was any force put on the Canadian skater by Ohno, how can they rule it a disqualification? This is the problem with short-track - officiating is too subjective. It's not just an issue in this instance, it's always been controversial in the sport. They constantly are making decisions based on inconclusive evidence. It's really the only drawback to an otherwise exciting sport.

Edited by Fanpuck33

All I see is two boxes with letters and numbers in them.

:lol:

My point was that the original form of Korea/Corée is neither of them, but a Korean symbol of theirs... So it's normal that proper nouns coming from asia are spelled differently in french and in english...

:lol:

My point was that the original form of Korea/Corée is neither of them, but a Korean symbol of theirs... So it's normal that proper nouns coming from asia are spelled differently in french and in english...

Right, I'm just saying for proper nouns translated to langauges using our alphabet, there should be a universal form, regardless of language. To this day, the only thing from the 1992 Olympics I actually remember watching is the opening ceremony, because the US came out in the "E" section and I was thoroughly confused.

HQ version of the 500m race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD27S1Ec9mI

Check the replay at about 1:00. Ono places his hand on Tremblay's hip in the turn, so Tremblay is unable to make his turn as sharp as necessary. It's a clear impeding DQ. Not as obvious as pushing or blocking, but enough to cause an impediment to Tremblay who found himself deported to the outside because he couldnt turn because of Ono's hand. It a sort of sideways blocking.

Hamelin never touched the Korean. Look closely coming out of the turn, the Korean's hits himself behind the right (outside) leg with his left (inside) skate and he lost his balance afterwards. It's actually the Korean's left hand that touches Hamelin's skate and almost trips Hamelin near the finish line.

Where can she train? The Alps?

You know she probably tried for speed skating first, right? :P

Yeah, i once saw a docu on her. She lived with her sis and her father in a camper for some years. And did nothing else but train in the alpes. Much credit to her. Her 3rd olympics and finally she came through!

lol, you're preaching to the wrong choir on here. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Hey, if the situation was reversed and Ohno was the one going down, I'd be saying that he got a lucky medal and that the Canadian got screwed.

Edited by Fanpuck33

What a great couple of days it has been for Canada! After a sluggish start to the games it has definitely ended with a flurry and the only thing left to achieve is hockey gold.

Especially happy for Jasey Jay Anderson. The first olympics I remember is Nagano in 1998 so I can clearly remember all the disappointments and shortcomings he's had throughout his career, amazing to finally see him come through!

And what can you say about Kevin Martin and his rink? Pure dominance. The one draw I was lucky enough to attend wasn't even close, I think Sweden conceded after the 8th end :lol: