Sign Pleks!

Nilan25

Sign this man now !!!!!

But knowing Gainey..............

Gainey willing to negotiate during the season:

La Presse - Gainey pourrait négocier avec Plekanec avant l'été

"Last year the policy was dictated by economic reasons. We had a lot of players going UFA and we feared that the salary cap would go down more than it did. Thus we needed to keep as much leeway as possible. This year will be different. There are fewer players in the same situation and economic conditions seem stable."

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, you can't re-sign Mara. Price gets a modest raise with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink that he'll get a long term deal the next year (this is what the Rangers did with Lundqvist when they had a cap crunch). You then see what you have left. If you have to make one more move, you do it.

People forget that it's only about a $1.5m raise that Plekanec will be commanding from his current salary. He's not going to be a $5m+ guy. EVERY TEAM is up against the cap on an annual basis, so it reduces the market when the cap doesn't increase.

Anyways, Bob can't sign anything with Plex until Jan. 1 anyways.

To be honest, for all those calling for Gainey's firing, I think we got a new GM without even realizing it. Bob has taken a MUCH more pro-active approach since stepping behind the bench again. I wonder if during last year's evaluations he even criticized his own approach.

My guess is that they'll be enough money to sign both Plex and Price. Looking at next year's projected team, there should be a fair amount of money coming off the books....especially if they buy out Laraque. Thats roughly 3.5 million. If Plex gets a 1/1.5 million$ raise and price gets the same, we may even have enough money to bring back Mara

MAB...750K

MARA - Rookie contract...700k

If they buy out Laraque...500k

Metro (i hate to see him go)...1 million

Chips... 500k

A. Kost/Plex/Cammy

Poulliot/Gomez/Gionta

Pacioretty/Lapierre/S. Kost

Pyatt/White/Moen

Markov/Rookie

Hamrlik/Spacek

Gill/Gorges

Price/Halak

I think we got a new GM without even realizing it.
Sometimes I wonder if he's taking advice from Jacques Martin. It's possible that his agreement to bolt from Florida included concessions from Gainey that allowed Martin to have suggestive powers and included Gainey's promise to listen/implement them. Gainey might be taking his advice instead of solely deciding on his own. The Latendresse not favoured by Martin rumours and subsequent trading of Latendresse makes me wonder. Did BOb decide this based on Jacques Martin saying enough is enough?

Sometimes I wonder if he's taking advice from Jacques Martin. It's possible that his agreement to bolt from Florida included concessions from Gainey that allowed Martin to have suggestive powers and included Gainey's promise to listen/implement them. Gainey might be taking his advice instead of solely deciding on his own. The Latendresse not favoured by Martin rumours and subsequent trading of Latendresse makes me wonder. Did BOb decide this based on Jacques Martin saying enough is enough?

Martin saw the writing on the wall in Florida. The Bouwmeester gamble failed, the team was being sold, so he found a new job that almost certainly pays better. Being a GM I doubt had anything to do with the hire aside from familiarity with each other. Bob has another ex-GM in management in Gauthier who had Martin as a coach so I think everyone was comfortable with that situation going forward.

My guess is that they'll be enough money to sign both Plex and Price. Looking at next year's projected team, there should be a fair amount of money coming off the books....especially if they buy out Laraque. Thats roughly 3.5 million. If Plex gets a 1/1.5 million$ raise and price gets the same, we may even have enough money to bring back Mara

MAB...750K

Chips... 500k

A. Kost/Plex/Cammy

Poulliot/Gomez/Gionta

Pyatt/White/Moen

Markov/Rookie

Hamrlik/Spacek

Gill/Gorges

Price/Halak

Ya gotta sign Metro. He is the best utility centre this team has had in ages. if he isn't signed, i will be disapointed.

Ya gotta sign Metro. He is the best utility centre this team has had in ages. if he isn't signed, i will be disapointed.

I want him back too. But realistically, he's one of the guys which can be replaced by a 500k player. Everyone else on the bottom 2 lines(other than Moen) is making around league minimum. I'd rather lose Metro than risk having to rely on Poulliot becoming a solid C replacing Plex

Edited by markierung

Is Price really going to get much of a raise? Obviously he'll get a raise on his salary, but with his bonuses, his cap hit is already 2.2 million. His new contract really shouldn't have a cap hit much more than that.

I expect it'll clock in around $2.8-3m. Not a huge raise, but a bit of a bump. I think Ward got $3.33m after his rookie contract expired, but he won a Conn Smythe on that contract.

Metro will be the last priority. I doubt he'll be re-signed in the end. He'll be 36 and we have some centres coming up.

MAB...750K

Chips... 500k

A. Kost/Plex/Cammy

Poulliot/Gomez/Gionta

Pyatt/White/Moen

Markov/Rookie

Hamrlik/Spacek

Gill/Gorges

Price/Halak

I think it's safe to say O'byrne wil be back next year!

I doubt Mara would resign with us for 700k.

I thought Plex was up to 25 points in 24 games. But everywhere I look(Espn, TSn, HockeyDB), he's at 24 points. Is this a mistake?

Edited by Habsfan

I thought Plex was up to 25 points in 24 games. But everywhere I look(Espn, TSn, HockeyDB), he's at 24 points. Is this a mistake?

No i think he had 22 points in 23 games before last night. now he is PPG. Nice to see after 24 games.

"Last year the policy was dictated by economic reasons. We had a lot of players going UFA and we feared that the salary cap would go down more than it did. Thus we needed to keep as much leeway as possible. This year will be different. There are fewer players in the same situation and economic conditions seem stable."

again I say the policy of Bob not negotiating during the season is a red herring. He couldn't negotiate last year cause he had 11 guys to talk to and he wanted to see how the crew did, He knew a bunch of them were not returning, and how do you negotiate with 5 guys and not the other 6? Once they realize their time is up how do you motivate them? Bob does what he has to do depending on circumstances and after considerable thought. I support Bob fully because I know how it was before he got here, he has created a good base and will succeed in bringing home the cup.

I support Bob fully because I know how it was before he got here, he has created a good base and will succeed in bringing home the cup.
I agree. I know there are still those fans out there that want him gone. But then what? My big problem with BOb leaving is you don't realize you had a good thing until you've lost it. We've all been down the road before where the media dictated how the team was run. Mario Tremblay stepped out of Habs colour commentating job and right on to our bench as coach. We've seen it played over and over through the years. Even Latendresse is an example of this. The media and fans had a major influence on him coming in too quick. True BOb lost the media fight and caved on that decision but in day to day hockey operations and as a whole he is far more prepared and has delivered than his recent predecessors did.

Maybe we should go get Brother Andre Savard back. He was an excellent scout but not a very good GM. Czerkawski for Asham and a pick and the $4 million Brisebois contract are examples of some of his mistakes.

Rejean Houle......um, Richer? Can't afford Turner Stevenson but will sign Jim Campbell to equal dollars? The media probably kept his GM seat warm when he was away from his desk. Media were way too influental and Houle listened. At least I can drink to Reggie for picking Markov.

I suppose we could put in Jacques Martin and bring up Boucher. But for me and at the end of the day I believe another hire would be a sideways move. This is Montreal! Since when has it been easy?

And, the annoying thing about Gainey as GM is he just plain gets it wrong here and there and drives you crazy. Just like Dallas. He was hired for GM in 1993. Dallas won in 1999. He traded Audette to us for Benoit Brunet if I do recall. Didn't work out well (sound familar?) He was hired by the Habs in 2003 and it's now the 2009-10 season. Similar numbers. If you are patient with Gainey's twisting eventually he gets it right. The 10 year win a cup guy. We revert and maybe we don't win until 2029. No thanks.

I'm angry in some ways at him but hey, I Trust In BOb and many times as afforementioned; by default.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Oh ya, i forgot about him...he must be playing great then!

I agree. I know there are still those fans out there that want him gone. But then what? My big problem with BOb leaving is you don't realize you had a good thing until you've lost it. We've all been down the road before where the media dictated how the team was run. Mario Tremblay stepped out of Habs colour commentating job and right on to our bench as coach. We've seen it played over and over through the years. Even Latendresse is an example of this. The media and fans had a major influence on him coming in too quick. True BOb lost the media fight and caved on that decision but in day to day hockey operations and as a whole he is far more prepared and has delivered than his recent predecessors did.

Maybe we should go get Brother Andre Savard back. He was an excellent scout but not a very good GM. Czerkawski for Asham and a pick and the $4 million Brisebois contract are examples of some of his mistakes.

Rejean Houle......um, Richer? Can't afford Turner Stevenson but will sign Jim Campbell to equal dollars? The media probably kept his GM seat warm when he was away from his desk. Media were way too influental and Houle listened. At least I can drink to Reggie for picking Markov.

I suppose we could put in Jacques Martin and bring up Boucher. But for me and at the end of the day I believe another hire would be a sideways move. This is Montreal! Since when has it been easy?

And, the annoying thing about Gainey as GM is he just plain gets it wrong here and there and drives you crazy. Just like Dallas. He was hired for GM in 1993. Dallas won in 1999. He traded Audette to us for Benoit Brunet if I do recall. Didn't work out well (sound familar?) He was hired by the Habs in 2003 and it's now the 2009-10 season. Similar numbers. If you are patient with Gainey's twisting eventually he gets it right. The 10 year win a cup guy. We revert and maybe we don't win until 2029. No thanks.

I'm angry in some ways at him but hey, I Trust In BOb and many times as afforementioned; by default.

I fundamentally admire Bob Gainey as a man (from what we've seen, anyway) and I think he has been a good, not great GM, for us, despite the occasional blunder. Because I believe that he's taken the steps to correct the fundamental problem of his first 6 years - i.e., terrible player development - I will continue to support Gainey unless he shows me that he is not trying to rebuild from within, using the new core as a decoy. In other words, if he starts dealing away more young assets and picks to 'go for it' (i.e., squeak into the playoffs and lose in round 1 or 2) then we may as well start over with a fresh face. Apart from that, he's still got my vote.

I fundamentally admire Bob Gainey as a man (from what we've seen, anyway) and I think he has been a good, not great GM, for us, despite the occasional blunder. Because I believe that he's taken the steps to correct the fundamental problem of his first 6 years - i.e., terrible player development - I will continue to support Gainey unless he shows me that he is not trying to rebuild from within, using the new core as a decoy. In other words, if he starts dealing away more young assets and picks to 'go for it' (i.e., squeak into the playoffs and lose in round 1 or 2) then we may as well start over with a fresh face. Apart from that, he's still got my vote.

the way it sits right now there is no go for it. We are in injury trouble and have to work through it, when we have the montreal canadiens back we'll talk about go for it.

He traded Audette to us for Benoit Brunet if I do recall. Didn't work out well (sound familar?) ah that did not work so good for us as I recall. when he got here he had to dump audette.

You know, this in a way reminds me of the dilemma Saskatchewan Roughrider fans faced a few years back. We had a GM/Coach tandem in Roy Shivers and Danny Barrett that got us to the playoffs every year, but as the 3rd place team or the crossover team. They found great talent, but seemed to always be bleeding players at the same time, Henry Burris being the most infamous. Generally, Riders fans were happy that they always had a chance with Shivers/Barrett (before them, the Riders missed the playoffs more often than not), but it never amounted to a single Grey Cup appearance, which is still pathetic in the 8 or 9 team CFL.

Finally, Shivers was canned and Tillman came in. He had a great background within the CFL, and brought a different approach. He didn't make wholesale changes to the roster... he focused on the upping the Canadian talent on the team (a unique CFL feature) but he didn't go around trading the guys Shivers brought in. He brought in his coaches and now, the Riders have got two 2nd place finishes and a 1st place finish in 3 years, plus two Grey Cup appearances and one championship (and hopefully another, screw you Als fans!).

Gainey may have brought respectability, but it's not like there can't be another candidate out there that could take the foundation he laid and push towards the top. It's narrow minded to think it can't happen.

plus two Grey Cup appearances and one championship (and hopefully another, screw you Als fans!).

NOrmally i'd be telling you to screw yourself...but with our lousy record in Grey Cup games, I wouldn,t be surprised to see the Als choke again. Although, this year the team seams to be much more confident.

We'll see on Sunday who'll have the last laugh!

He traded Audette to us for Benoit Brunet if I do recall. Didn't work out well (sound familar?) ah that did not work so good for us as I recall. when he got here he had to dump audette.

Audette was doing quite well with until he went on a diving defensive play (where was the defense, you may ask) and had his wrist stepped on, severing the tendons in his hand. That's the only reason it didn't work out well for us. At the time, I was thinking we'd really won that trade. I guess Bob has The Sight and knew of the injury in advance. :P

Audette was doing quite well with until he went on a diving defensive play (where was the defense, you may ask) and had his wrist stepped on, severing the tendons in his hand. That's the only reason it didn't work out well for us. At the time, I was thinking we'd really won that trade. I guess Bob has The Sight and knew of the injury in advance. :P

Yeah, it's funny, so many Habs fans peg Audette as a dog. In fact his career was destroyed by that injury. Prior to that he was a point-per-game player. And yet fans blame André Savard.

That injury was just sooooo frustrating. Savard had fleeced Gainey to acquire a legitimate top-line winger; all of a sudden our pathetic team actually had a bit of talent. So what happens? 5 games in and BANG! he's done for life. Something analogous happened to Koivu, who *would* have been a top-5 NHL player if his MCL hadn't been obliterated in '96; few people remember how he was dominating the league prior to that. On a lesser level, there's Zednik (never the same after that despicable MacLaren hit). That's three top-6 forwards compromised by injury in a 10-year span. If you ask me, the Curse of Year 100 started a lot sooner than Year 100.

And I pray to the heavens that we don't have to add Markov to the list of permanently damaged goods. :angry: