Sign Pleks!

Nilan25

Right, but maybe Saku told them he would test the market..... maybe his numbers weren't good enough.... or maybe the cleaning crew threw it out. The point is that there are alot of intangibles to consider for anything that happens.

Saks would likely have re-signed here. I thought it was pretty clear that it was Bob Gainey who decided against re-signing Koivu, not the reverse. Bob's general disgust at the great meltdown of 2008-09, as well as the increasing obviousness of Koivu's decline - something gainey probably had a front-row view of once he became coach - put the kibosh on any thought of #11 retiring in the :hlogo:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saks would likely have re-signed here. I thought it was pretty clear that it was Bob Gainey who decided against re-signing Koivu, not the reverse.

Agreed. Every reporter in town also thinks the same!

The Canucks Kessler just signed a 6 year, $30million dollar deal.

I know this isn't set in stone, but would this be a fair market value comparriosn to Plek?

The Canucks Kessler just signed a 6 year, $30million dollar deal.

I know this isn't set in stone, but would this be a fair market value comparriosn to Plek?

Fairly similar. Kesler is a better defensive player, not that Pleks sucks in that regard, and Plekanec is a slightly better offensive one. Kesler is a little younger, bigger body.

I've been thinking it'd be around $5m. Can't be too much higher, Plekanec is not a proven 75+ point scorer. He's a 65-75 guy.

Fairly similar. Kesler is a better defensive player, not that Pleks sucks in that regard, and Plekanec is a slightly better offensive one. Kesler is a little younger, bigger body.

I've been thinking it'd be around $5m. Can't be too much higher, Plekanec is not a proven 75+ point scorer. He's a 65-75 guy.

I hope so, but to me this Kesler signing screws us, I think this signing was intentional to make Plek and others like him want to test the free market, Vancouver did this to get their hands on one come off season

Kesler has 66 points Plek has one less.

The agent for Pleks wouldn't be doing his job, if he didn't entertain other offers on july 1st. Call that pessimistic all you want. I'd guess Atlanta has some money to spend, and a huge hole to fill on there roster. I think the trend continues and we lose another player for nothing. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

I hope so, but to me this Kesler signing screws us, I think this signing was intentional to make Plek and others like him want to test the free market, Vancouver did this to get their hands on one come off season

Huh? Vancouver has no cap room anymore. Sedins, Kesler, 4 D at $3.5m, Luongo, Burrows... that's their team.

Kesler has 66 points Plek has one less.

Sorry, was talking career wise. Kesler has 206 in 391 while Plekanec has 249 in 382. Plex has 4 straight 20 goal years, Kesler has 3. Again, Kesler is about 2 years younger, so that has to be considered as a reason for the better pace for Plekanec overall, but yeah they are similar. Neither has had playoff glory and neither has any lingering injury issues, and both were good in the Olympics.

i think Vancouver over paid and this well hurt them long term..i do think Kesler is a better all around player then Plek but i was hoping we sign him for 4 mil a year ..but with dumb gms making moves like this its hard to get a deal..if we going to sign him we got to drop a D man...

Huh? Vancouver has no cap room anymore. Sedins, Kesler, 4 D at $3.5m, Luongo, Burrows... that's their team.

So that means they JUSt WANTED TO SCREW US!!! lol

Demitra is gone, Johnson is gone. they need to get one more winger (if they can afford it) next year so far they are at 45mil

Edited by CoRvInA

I'd have to say Kesler is the more valuable player at this point in his career. Plekanec didn't start out on a scoring line right away, but he did get put in a scoring role earlier than Kesler did, which significantly impacts the point comparison. Right now you'd have to give the edge offensively to Plekanec, but with Kesler still coming into his own offensively, he's definitely tightened the gap. Defensively, Kesler has a much more significant resume. Plekanec is a good defensive forward, but Kesler is a Selke finalist. Kesler also is an excellent faceoff man, closer to 55%, compared to Plekanec hovering around the 50% mark. Both are solid skaters and Kesler obviously has the edge in size. Kesler also would appear to have the edge in leadership, he's already wearing an A.

I'd have to say Kesler is the more valuable player at this point in his career. Plekanec didn't start out on a scoring line right away, but he did get put in a scoring role earlier than Kesler did, which significantly impacts the point comparison. Right now you'd have to give the edge offensively to Plekanec, but with Kesler still coming into his own offensively, he's definitely tightened the gap. Defensively, Kesler has a much more significant resume. Plekanec is a good defensive forward, but Kesler is a Selke finalist. Kesler also is an excellent faceoff man, closer to 55%, compared to Plekanec hovering around the 50% mark. Both are solid skaters and Kesler obviously has the edge in size. Kesler also would appear to have the edge in leadership, he's already wearing an A.

6 years at $5 million per year for Tomas, he might go for that kind of money.

Kesler is a significantly better player, though. Not hugely better, but significantly. Trust me, I see this guy in Vancouver regularly. He is bigger, more physical, more willing to get his nose dirty - not just fight past the rough stuff (Pleks) but initiate it - is a Selke finalist, a force in the locker room, etc.. Otherwise put, I would trade Pleks for Kesler straight up without a moment's hesitation. Not to slag Pleks, but Kelser is damned good.

To me, this signing puts Pleks at $4.5-4.75 mil on a long-term deal. Factor in Montreal taxes and you're looking at $5 mil, but there's a chance Pleks might take the 'discount' and sign for market value without the tax angle.

I don't know why anyone should be surprised. People have been projecting 4-5 mil for Pleks since he first got on this roll.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber