2010 Trade Deadline Thread

dlbalr

With the deadline less than a day away, may as well start a thread for discussion on any deals that happen.

Just off the wire, Ponikarovsky to Pittsburgh for Caputi, Skoula (cap ballast). Earlier today, Ottawa got a little tougher (and a lot slower) picking up Andy Sutton for a late 2nd (SJ's). I really like the deal for Pittsburgh, Ponikarovsky's a legit 2nd liner, he'll be great with Malkin. Didn't cost all that much either.

With the deadline less than a day away, may as well start a thread for discussion on any deals that happen.

Just off the wire, Ponikarovsky to Pittsburgh for Caputi, Skoula (cap ballast). Earlier today, Ottawa got a little tougher (and a lot slower) picking up Andy Sutton for a late 2nd (SJ's). I really like the deal for Pittsburgh, Ponikarovsky's a legit 2nd liner, he'll be great with Malkin. Didn't cost all that much either.

That trade is such a failure for Toronto. They should be looking for high draft picks, not aging journeymen and former fourth rounders.

That trade is such a failure for Toronto. They should be looking for high draft picks, not aging journeymen and former fourth rounders.

Maybe they rank high in Truculence?

As I noted, Skoula was there for cap reasons only, the Leafs didn't actually want him. Caputi's a decent prospect mind you, but they could've got more for him (at least I think so).

This trade falls short of the two offers of second round draft choices and a prospect which allegedly Toronto had in their hands. This amounts to Burke beating a drum trying to draw attention to their player. This is a trade that Burke should not have made; his second if anyone is counting.

Phoenix acquires:

* Derek Morris

Boston acquires:

* TBD

4th round pick 2011 for Derek Morris... seems teams arent parting with their 1st rounders easily this year.

Yeah, Sherman hasn't done one deal I've liked yet. Apparently Wolski wants a big raise that the organization thinks is undeserved. So they ship him out to save cash and hope Mueller turns around with a change of scenery.

The cash thing makes no sense to me though. We have something like 5 mil in cap room already and a lot of terrible contracts coming off the books after this season. Tucker, Svatos, Clark, Salei. Thats about 10 mil right there. Theres plenty to go around.

Wolski is frustrating to watch at times but he's still 10 times the player Mueller is. I'd rather give Wolski his 4-5 mil then hope Mueller turns it around. Especially if the the Pierre McGuire rumor that hes gonna be out of hockey soon is true.

TSN analysts seemed to like it for both teams though.

Belanger to WAS for a future draft pick

2nd rounder. Excellent pickup for the Caps. He's an excellent 3rd line center who can step up to the 2nd line now and then. Exactly the kind of guy who can help a contender.

2nd rounder. Excellent pickup for the Caps. He's an excellent 3rd line center who can step up to the 2nd line now and then. Exactly the kind of guy who can help a contender.

Yep

So far. Pitt and Was have made he best moves

Calgary picks up Toskala for McElhinney. Interesting.

I like it from Calgary's perspective. They don't want to play Kipper as much as they have in the past but it's hard when you have a backup as bad as McElhinney. He gives the team zero confidence when he plays and the fans aren't high on him either. Toskala is good enough to atleast take a few games more games from Kipper then Curtis has. Toskala's contract is up after the year and Leland Irving should finally get the call up and start learning from Kiprusoff.

Plus Toskala played for Sutter in San Jose so he knows a little bit about him.

Why does TSN always refer to the Columbus newspaper as the Post-Dispatch? It's just the Dispatch, there is no Post!

Good trade for Buffalo, not sure why Columbus is picking up another D. Hopefully Torres comes back to Columbus this summer.

Edited by Fanpuck33