Think Lapierre is gonna be suspended ?

JoeLassister

Lapierre has a history of blatently shoving guys in prone positions into the boards...hence a 4 game suspension.

The fact he won't stand up for his cowardly actions is why I don't want him on the team. He wants to be Claude Lemiuex but he's too afraid to actually back it up.

Lapierre is NOT good for this teams persona.

I want guys to play hard, gritty hockey on the 3rd and 4th lines...Lapierre has the skills to do that. However, that means playing on the line and standing on it...he runs way past it and then runs away to hide. Stuff like what happened to Moore are likely a RESULT of Lapierre's ANTICS...

What does he have to prove? It's about winning games, not honor or whatever misplaced romantic ideals you are fabricating.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nichols swung at his rebound when Laps shoved him. So its not interference. However it certainly is a penalty and suspension worthy. He should have hooked the stick from above and tried to pin it down to prevent nichols getting the rebound. Don't be shoving guys from behind at full speed!

:clap:

right on.

I didn't like that 'hit'. I think if he really wanted to make sure the rebound was not going to be in play via a hit play then he needs to be quicker on the player going to the net. That said what he did was just awful and there is no way in hell he should not be suspended for his actions. I would be screaming bloody murder if a similar hit was placed on dear old Laps.

Varlan your d play is just right and Laps should apply it next time, well in IMO.

What does he have to prove? It's about winning games, not honor or whatever misplaced romantic ideals you are fabricating.

"Misplaced romantic ideals"?!!!! Like good sportsmanship? Fair play? Good, solid clean hits?

Take a lesson from Team Canada and Team USA. That's how hockey should be played.

The hit was cheap and dangerous and thanks to the instigator, he didn't get pummelled for it. He just hid behind the ref. No honor at all. The guy is a total douchebag in my view. At least Ruutu and avery will drop the gloves when they screw up. I can't believe how badly this guy has slid compared to last year. TK must have been the good player last year. I miss TK.

Edited by BCHabnut

Lapierre is a coward. Everyone in the league knows this and the commentators have a tough time describing his plays because they think he's a dirty little bastard. I think he needs to go. I don't want to watch pussies like that on my favourite hockey team.

The hit was cheap and dangerous and thanks to the instigator, he didn't get pummelled for it. He just hid behind the ref. No honor at all. The guy is a total douchebag in my view. At least Ruutu and avery will drop the gloves when they screw up. I can't believe how badly this guy has slid compared to last year. TK must have been the good player last year. I miss TK.

I agree. If they're gonna allow fighting (something I'm against BTW), then they should get rid of this stupid instigator rule. You push someone from behind into the boards, then you should have to be prepared to answer for it.

"Misplaced romantic ideals"?!!!! Like good sportsmanship? Fair play? Good, solid clean hits?

Take a lesson from Team Canada and Team USA. That's how hockey should be played.

Yeah, take a lesson from Chris Pronger, the cleanest player in the NHL.

Almost all other teams have a pest on their team, why shouldnt we? If you want all the physical contact and psychologic aspect of the game gone then u should start watching Bandy instead. Its like a mix of hockey and soccer.

Btw. as some other said here its not like Lapierre is running the guy over, its a small push as to move him away a bit from the net and he was out of ballance and the push took harder than Laps expected. Its part of the game. Pronger wouldve elbowed the guy in the head into the boards and got away with 1 game.

Edited by Dalhabs

I'm shocked anyone could be defending Laps at all. In fact, I think there's a lot of underestimating what he did on that play. Forget all this defensive crap, he went to give Nichol a shot after the play knowing full well where he was on the ice. IMO, attempt to injure. All Laps did was hit the guy after the play - a pest thing to do - but he did it in such a terrible spot. He deserved a far longer suspension AFAIC. I mean, come on guys, knowing that Laps is a pest, knowing what the guy is on the ice, you just have to know that he did what he did on purpose. He knew he was going to drive the guy into the boards, he was just not thinking (probably the ultimate problem) that Nichol would lose his balance to such a degree. Or maybe he did think that, I dunno when it comes to Laps. He's a moron.

Yeah, take a lesson from Chris Pronger, the cleanest player in the NHL.

Almost all other teams have a pest on their team, why shouldnt we? If you want all the physical contact and psychologic aspect of the game gone then u should start watching Bandy instead. Its like a mix of hockey and soccer.

Btw. as some other said here its not like Lapierre is running the guy over, its a small push as to move him away a bit from the net and he was out of ballance and the push took harder than Laps expected. Its part of the game. Pronger wouldve elbowed the guy in the head into the boards and got away with 1 game.

No one is saying that they should eliminate physical play or the role of the pest...NO ONE is saying that.

Lapierre knows exactly what he's doing...hell, Sportsnet ran about 6 clips of Lapierre doing the exact same play this season to 6 different guys. And we all know there are other dirty/crap moves/plays he pulls all the time. Then he won't back it up...

The player I hated most in the last decade was Matt Barnaby for pulling similar crap but at least he also dropped the gloves a COUPLE times...Lapierre is a pussy...I'm only surprised that this isn't being addressed by the teams leadership/vets.

Prongers one the dirtiest players in the league, Scott Stevens...dirtiness is overlooked if you're a better player, Ovie has some dirty hits, but it's over looked. Not condoning Laps, but there is a tiered system in the league.

No one is saying that they should eliminate physical play or the role of the pest...NO ONE is saying that.

Lapierre knows exactly what he's doing...hell, Sportsnet ran about 6 clips of Lapierre doing the exact same play this season to 6 different guys. And we all know there are other dirty/crap moves/plays he pulls all the time. Then he won't back it up...

The player I hated most in the last decade was Matt Barnaby for pulling similar crap but at least he also dropped the gloves a COUPLE times...Lapierre is a pussy...I'm only surprised that this isn't being addressed by the teams leadership/vets.

Does the use of the word COUPLE there mean "many many many" or "twice" ???

Cuz Barnaby never fought less than 9 times between 1995-1996 and 2006-2007 and his fightcard include :

Brashear

Fedoruk

Pilon

Grimson

Worrell

Asham

Chara

Nazarov

Domi

McCarthy

Purinton

(and this was only during the 2000-2001 regular season)

I hope you were meaning "many many many"...

Does the use of the word COUPLE there mean "many many many" or "twice" ???

Cuz Barnaby never fought less than 9 times between 1995-1996 and 2006-2007 and his fightcard include :

Brashear

Fedoruk

Pilon

Grimson

Worrell

Asham

Chara

Nazarov

Domi

McCarthy

Purinton

(and this was only during the 2000-2001 regular season)

I hope you were meaning "many many many"...

That's an impressive resume. I think he was being sarcastic.

That's an impressive resume. I think he was being sarcastic.

I wasn't being sarcastic...I also wasn't going to bother to look it up.

But you only further my point...at least he dropped the gloves despite being a punk and a mouthpiece. If Lapierre wants to play the role of the heel then he needs to man up. For his teammates as much as himself...

Watched the hit some more and I think I change my mind a bit about it, I still dont think he wants Nichol to fly into the boards like he does but at the speed Lapierre has at that moment he shouldve thought some before doing that. I still think its a bit bad luck that Nichol ends up that way.

I completely agree with the suspension Lapierre got, but to stat calling him a coward is pushing it a little too far. A few people keep saying he never drops the gloves, which simply isn't true. Just in the past 2 seasons i've counted at least 7 fights for Lapierre. To say that he never drops them is false.

I agree that lapierre doesn't win many of his fights, but at least he drops them a few times a year!

I'm shocked anyone could be defending Laps at all. In fact, I think there's a lot of underestimating what he did on that play. Forget all this defensive crap, he went to give Nichol a shot after the play knowing full well where he was on the ice. IMO, attempt to injure. All Laps did was hit the guy after the play - a pest thing to do - but he did it in such a terrible spot. He deserved a far longer suspension AFAIC. I mean, come on guys, knowing that Laps is a pest, knowing what the guy is on the ice, you just have to know that he did what he did on purpose. He knew he was going to drive the guy into the boards, he was just not thinking (probably the ultimate problem) that Nichol would lose his balance to such a degree. Or maybe he did think that, I dunno when it comes to Laps. He's a moron.

I for one have no problem with what Laps did. Ya, it might have been a little bit dirty, but we gotta remember that this is hockey and not ballet.

I'd much rather see a habs dishing out some punishment, than taking it which usually happens. Might make other players take notice and keep their heads up knowing that a habs may give them a good shot once in awhile.

He got suspended and is paying for it, but i like seeing Habs play with a little edge and if it's dirty sometimes, so be it.

I completely agree with the suspension Lapierre got, but to stat calling him a coward is pushing it a little too far. A few people keep saying he never drops the gloves, which simply isn't true. Just in the past 2 seasons i've counted at least 7 fights for Lapierre. To say that he never drops them is false.

I agree that lapierre doesn't win many of his fights, but at least he drops them a few times a year!

LOL Yeah with noted fighters like Brian Lee, and Pertr Prucha. But seriously its got nothing to do with who he fights, it's all about when he fights. If you are going to play on the edge like Laps does he's gotta be prepared to back it up when he gets challenged. Look at superpests like Carcillo, Steve Ott, and Shawn Avery. You don't see them decline too many invitations. Everyone hates them but at least they have the guts to back up their play.

Don't get me wrong, I like Laps. But he is going to get hurt one of these days if he keeps playing the way he does.

LOL Yeah with noted fighters like Brian Lee, and Pertr Prucha. But seriously its got nothing to do with who he fights, it's all about when he fights. If you are going to play on the edge like Laps does he's gotta be prepared to back it up when he gets challenged. Look at superpests like Carcillo, Steve Ott, and Shawn Avery. You don't see them decline too many invitations. Everyone hates them but at least they have the guts to back up their play.

Don't get me wrong, I like Laps. But he is going to get hurt one of these days if he keeps playing the way he does.

I'm watching the replay of Lapierre hit... if he got suspended then There isnt a sane reason in HELL that Cooke shouldn't of gotten suspended. regardless of what that leads to let me first dissect the Lapierre push (its not even a cross check)

Scenario = Nichol shoots on the net then while skating on one skate tries to swing at the rebounding puck to pass it behind him...

So..

First Nichol was still playing the puck

2nd Nichol wasnt expecting to be hit even if he was a legitimate target (in the crease and playing the puck) Plus free floating on one skate... AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...

3rd Lapierre and any other (responsibly defensive minded) player would and could not of let him go unchecked... Had Lapierre not taken Nichol out of play and if that inaction would of lead to a San Jose on goal... or even JUST a SHot on goal!!! Tabarnak @#@*$@ I'm SURE LApierre would of been Benched after that!!!!

I know Im light years behind with this topic ...but I havent been here for a week LOL

Which makes the argument on Cook (if not suspended) because according to NHL it was Savard's responsability to keep his head up etc... then why not use the Lapierre argument on Cooke?? Lapierre's suspension counters the Richards argument (not because its a head hit) but on the rules of dangerous unnecessary playing

Absolute Mockery by the NHL Board

I think Laps should stay in the pressbox..............

No way.

He should be in for Maxwell no question. Maxwell has not shown he is ready to play at this level yet.

Once Cammy and Bergeron get healthy, that is when the interesting choices come into play. One would expect Darche to be the odd man out, but he has definitely made contributions to help the Habs win. Maybe Pyatt.

Pyatt will be demoted once Cammy or Bergeron come back. When they're both back, it really comes down to what you need... Lapierre/Darche play if the team needs grit and hard-workers... but if Martin feels he needs the PP weapon in Bergeron, one of Lapierre/Darche will be up in the pressbox.

Pyatt will be demoted once Cammy or Bergeron come back. When they're both back, it really comes down to what you need... Lapierre/Darche play if the team needs grit and hard-workers... but if Martin feels he needs the PP weapon in Bergeron, one of Lapierre/Darche will be up in the pressbox.

Yep, that should be the plan.