Habs vs. Saku Koivu

Tonight we see our revamped and in my opinion much more likeable team go up against the defining Habs player of the past decade. I created this thread to offer a repository for our reflections on this event, what Koivu means or has meant to us, his legacy, the whole nine yards.

So: thoughts?

Not cheering for Capt smurff anymore than I cheer for the Newf when we play the Booins, hoping we trounce the Ducks big time.

It is worth noting that Koivu is clearly done as anything approaching an elite C - 34 points in 55 games, that's marginal production from a #2 C. I realize that Gomez's numbers aren't all that much better, but if you deduct the first two months I believe you'll find he's produced at close to a PPG clip. I think Bob was right to seek an upgrade at C, and if Gomez isn't ideal, he *is* a much better overall player than Koivu at this stage.

So I don't regret that Koivu was let go, in pure hockey terms. Having said that, like you guys I have huge respect for Koivu and I really believe that what Gainey said was true: Saku Koivu is a champion who simply never won a championship. He also had, if not a *tragic* career (after all, he made millions, never suffered a career-ending injury, etc.), one of the more poignant careers in Habs history - what with enduring cancer, suffering a disastrous injury that left him permanently a shadow of the superstar he was destined to be, having half an eye gouged out, being condemned to suffering through year after year of betrayals by an incompetent organization that failed to surround him with teammates worthy of his character and talent; not to mention the ingratitude of an ignorant fanbase and (French) media that at times demonized him and blamed him for team woes.

The fans and the organization in this era were never really worthy of him. Nonetheless he seems cheerful about it all and appreciative of his years with us. A real class act :hlogo: I too hope he does well tonight but that we win. The shame is that Anaheim doesn't play in Montreal this season, allowing the fans to pay Saku back a bit.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It is worth noting that Koivu is clearly done as anything approaching an elite C - 34 points in 55 games, that's marginal production from a #2 C. I realize that Gomez's numbers aren't all that much better, but if you deduct the first two months I believe you'll find he's produced at close to a PPG clip. I think Bob was right to seek an upgrade at C, and if Gomez isn't ideal, he *is* a much better overall player than Koivu at this stage.

Interesting to note, though, that for all the bitching from the so-called "intelligent" Montreal fans, Saku is an assistant captain with the Ducks. Perhaps his leadership wasn't so bad afterall. Oh, who am I kidding, the Montreal braniac fans surely know better.

:rolleyes:

Interesting to note, though, that for all the bitching from the so-called "intelligent" Montreal fans, Saku is an assistant captain with the Ducks. Perhaps his leadership wasn't so bad afterall. Oh, who am I kidding, the Montreal braniac fans surely know better.

Well, the Ducks have been one of the bigger disappointments this season. :B)

Well, the Ducks have been one of the bigger disappointments this season. :B)

And their captain is Scott Niedermeyer. Captain of the Gold Medal winning Canadian team. Who spanked the Americans. So hush, you. :P

And their captain is Scott Niedermeyer. Captain of the Gold Medal winning Canadian team. Who spanked the Americans. So hush, you. :P

He was on the team? I thought Doughty was on the ice for all 60 minutes every game! :lol:

You're right Colin. I think Craig Rivet has an important role with his team as well. Not that I miss Rivet.

I miss Rivet... especially now that I see Darche out there wearing #52.

We were fortunate with Rivet. In return for him, we got a player who bleeds bleu blanc et rouge as much as Craig did. Saku has been tougher in that regard. In terms of points production, it hasn't been that hard.

Watch Chipchura burn us tonight and not Saku.

You're right Colin. I think Craig Rivet has an important role with his team as well. Not that I miss Rivet.

Despite my sarcastic commentary, I do believe change was needed - and I love Saku. It had come to the point where there was needed a new philosophy and new direction both within and without. So, either the bulk of the team was moved with Saku staying, or Saku went and there were less changes. Seems to have been a bit of middle ground in that respect. Saku was let go, but there were still oodles of changes.

I don't believe Saku was ever the problem, but I do believe there was a 'culture' - if you will - surrounding the team that had to be purged in order for the franchise to have a fresh start. In many respects, that change is an insult to everything Koivu ever did - including requesting playing for less cash to prove himself *twice.* On the other hand, there are times when change is needed; and it has to be said that change is inevitable in everything. Saku, while being a stand-up, CH-in-the-blood Canadien, represented and was captain in one of the worst times in franchise history - right or wrong, that was the perception. In all likelihood, it wasn't just the perception from the fans point of view, but management and probably on the ice as well. A case of 'well, going to be another gough crusade again this season' rather than, 'lets go for it!'

From the other direction, while he obviously didn't wish it, moving out of Montreal might very well have been better for Koivu himself. There was a glare here that was, quite often, tarnished with opinion that was completely off-base. I'm sure the pressure on him was extraordinary; captaining Finland was probably a field trip in comparison. Heading out to the warmth and beaches and fair weather and 'fun' of California is probably a huge refreshment for Saku. Is his production down this season? Slightly, yes, but he's also had his share of injuries - again - and as one gets older its harder and harder to come back to full form. An excuse? No. Just a reason.

I suppose the final question in the eyes of most Canadiens fans (I'd say H-A-B but the ridiculous censor on the site doesn't allow it) is whether or not there's a chance of him coming back. Sadly, that's quite doubtful - from the emotional point of view, though, not a hockey one. If he comes back to play, it's would have to be in a bottom-six role with significantly diminished ice and for a very reasonable contract. Is that possible? Absolutely, but it's not likely. If he decides he wants Montreal and he wants to play for $1.5M or lower and on the 3rd or 4th lines, then I can see him coming back, but I think Koivu is too much of a warrior to drop to those levels of play (I don't think he'd really argue the dollars, quite honestly).

As to his legacy, that will depend on the management in control in the future. Is his jersey worthy of retirement? In terms of pure numbers, certainly not. In terms of what he represented during one of the most difficult times in team history? There has to be some consideration in that regard. He brought so much to the table not only on the ice, but in the community and, perhaps most importantly, in the hearts of Canadiens fans everywhere. His cancer return has got to be considered as one of the most emotional moments in Habs history - if not the history of sport. It's not even what he did, necessarily, rather the way that he did it and what he did for the city afterwards. More likely his legacy sees a Koivu night where he isn't retired, but he's awknowledged as a player of historical significance and there's a plaque placed somewhere in the Bell Centre.

Once the bitterness fades from the 'fans' that blamed everything on him, there will come recognition for his accomplishments in Montreal during a disastrous era of the club. In the future, there will probably be more 'what if' talk regarding his first big knee injury and what he could have become had ne not been so badly injured. Time will tell, of course, but I think Koivu remains in the hearts of Canadiens fans everywhere.

Despite my sarcastic commentary, I do believe change was needed - and I love Saku. It had come to the point where there was needed a new philosophy and new direction both within and without. So, either the bulk of the team was moved with Saku staying, or Saku went and there were less changes. Seems to have been a bit of middle ground in that respect. Saku was let go, but there were still oodles of changes.

I don't believe Saku was ever the problem, but I do believe there was a 'culture' - if you will - surrounding the team that had to be purged in order for the franchise to have a fresh start. In many respects, that change is an insult to everything Koivu ever did - including requesting playing for less cash to prove himself *twice.* On the other hand, there are times when change is needed; and it has to be said that change is inevitable in everything. Saku, while being a stand-up, CH-in-the-blood Canadien, represented and was captain in one of the worst times in franchise history - right or wrong, that was the perception. In all likelihood, it wasn't just the perception from the fans point of view, but management and probably on the ice as well. A case of 'well, going to be another gough crusade again this season' rather than, 'lets go for it!'

From the other direction, while he obviously didn't wish it, moving out of Montreal might very well have been better for Koivu himself. There was a glare here that was, quite often, tarnished with opinion that was completely off-base. I'm sure the pressure on him was extraordinary; captaining Finland was probably a field trip in comparison. Heading out to the warmth and beaches and fair weather and 'fun' of California is probably a huge refreshment for Saku. Is his production down this season? Slightly, yes, but he's also had his share of injuries - again - and as one gets older its harder and harder to come back to full form. An excuse? No. Just a reason.

I suppose the final question in the eyes of most Canadiens fans (I'd say H-A-B but the ridiculous censor on the site doesn't allow it) is whether or not there's a chance of him coming back. Sadly, that's quite doubtful - from the emotional point of view, though, not a hockey one. If he comes back to play, it's would have to be in a bottom-six role with significantly diminished ice and for a very reasonable contract. Is that possible? Absolutely, but it's not likely. If he decides he wants Montreal and he wants to play for $1.5M or lower and on the 3rd or 4th lines, then I can see him coming back, but I think Koivu is too much of a warrior to drop to those levels of play (I don't think he'd really argue the dollars, quite honestly).

As to his legacy, that will depend on the management in control in the future. Is his jersey worthy of retirement? In terms of pure numbers, certainly not. In terms of what he represented during one of the most difficult times in team history? There has to be some consideration in that regard. He brought so much to the table not only on the ice, but in the community and, perhaps most importantly, in the hearts of Canadiens fans everywhere. His cancer return has got to be considered as one of the most emotional moments in Habs history - if not the history of sport. It's not even what he did, necessarily, rather the way that he did it and what he did for the city afterwards. More likely his legacy sees a Koivu night where he isn't retired, but he's awknowledged as a player of historical significance and there's a plaque placed somewhere in the Bell Centre.

Once the bitterness fades from the 'fans' that blamed everything on him, there will come recognition for his accomplishments in Montreal during a disastrous era of the club. In the future, there will probably be more 'what if' talk regarding his first big knee injury and what he could have become had ne not been so badly injured. Time will tell, of course, but I think Koivu remains in the hearts of Canadiens fans everywhere.

I agree 100%. Great post, Colin.