"Montreal's move" (on ESPN's NHL section's frontpage)

rafikz

When will sports people understand. Teams in 7-8 are sometimes in a better position for long cup runs than the top 3, due to the fact the 6-7-8 seeds have to play into the playoffs. How many times have we seen a 8 uspet a 1? The writer says no chance against Washington....did he look at the Habs record against the caps this season? I'd rather have to play Washington than Buffalo, or the Pens.

When will sports people understand. Teams in 7-8 are sometimes in a better position for long cup runs than the top 3, due to the fact the 6-7-8 seeds have to play into the playoffs. How many times have we seen a 8 uspet a 1? The writer says no chance against Washington....did he look at the Habs record against the caps this season? I'd rather have to play Washington than Buffalo, or the Pens.

The writer says he doesn't like Montreal's chances, not that we have "no chance".

Number 8 seeds rarely win

No 8 seeds over the last 10 years - 5-15 (40-69)

So 25% of the time a number 8 seed wins and they only win 37% of the games played.

Number 7 seeds are an entirely different story.

No 7 seeds over the last 10 years - 8-12 (52-54)

So 40% of the time a number 7 seed wins and they win 49% of the games played.

I'm not sure who I'd rather face? The Capitals or the Sabres?? One thing is for certain, i don't want to face the Penguins in the first round. I think we could beat the Capitals and we might have an outside chance against the Sabres, but I just don't see how we could beat the Pens in a 7 game series!

Until they are locked into the playoffs, they aren't a playoff team. i won't be looking at any matchups.

I don't want to jinx anything

Exactly. I want them to get as high in the standings as possible: not for playoff positioning, but since it means they're improving their chances of making the playoffs, period.

Bruins win over Philly last night puts us closer to 6th (tied in points, but Philly has more wins and 3 games in hand). Beat Boston on Saturday in regulation and we're starting to seperate ourselves from the #8 seed.

It's the Rangers (9th) you need to worry about. They are 7 points back, 1 game in hand, they play Atlanta and Philly over the weekend before the Habs on Tuesday.

Gaining points on the 9th seed is the most important.

Until they are locked into the playoffs, they aren't a playoff team. i won't be looking at any matchups.

I don't want to jinx anything

Damn right.

Step one: make the playoffs.

This team needs to be the underdog, and they should be in just about any series they play, if and when they get there. They wouldn't be without their chances, as long as goaltending stays solid and they preserve the hungry mentality they've in the latest stretch (not counting last game), but I would hate to see unrealistic fan expectations add to their already uphill climb - make the playoffs first, no complacency, no calculations....