Ovies Hit

bar

Was watching the hit Ovie had on Campbell today during the Hawks/Caps game...it looked close to what Laps did...except Ovie actually got a 5, and game misconduct. This is his THIRD game misconduct today...just wanted to play a little game...guess the number of games Ovie will get.

My guess is: 0...cause he's a superstar and the NHL has a multi-tiered standard when it comes to suspensions.

I remember the suspension at the time..a player with less of a history than Ovie did the exact same thing...it was a knee on knee and got more games than Ovie.

That looked like less of a penalty than Lapierre's in my opinion. Campbell was turned one way, Ovi went in for the push, but Campbell turned around the other way and exposed his back. It even looked like Ovechkin held back on the push when he saw what was happening.

To me that was much worse than the Lapierre hit. It also did more damage and drew a penalty from the ref. But given the double standard I'm going to say he gets 2 games. I think that deserves 5 or 6 games.

Just saw the hit now, that was actually pretty brutal. I'd say the double-standard will still fly here and Ovie gets 1-2 games (he got off really easy on his other suspension earlier in the year as well) even though he's officially ended Campbell's season. If this was some nobody, it'd be 8-10 .Although who knows now considering Cooke didn't get anything and he has a huge history.

Steve Downie is such a punk. On TSN they had a video of players responding to the Cooke hit and Downie was going on about no respect, blah blah, which is laughable after his own hit on McAmmond was much worse, and now he follows up with this.

As for the Ovechkin hit, I don't think it's anywhere near as dirty as the Cooke hit, Downie play or even the Lapierre shove. You could call it a hit form behind, but it looked like Campbell was just about to turn around, in which case it would have been clean. One thing's for sure though: if dirty hits weren't the topic of the day, Ovechkin would have walked away with a 2 minute minor and no one would have given it a second look. Kostitsyn wouldn't have gotten anything. I miss when players were allowed to check.

Edited by ForumGhost

Check? You think the Ovie pushwas a check? If Ovie wanted to check Campbell he should have rode him into the boards for a clean, legal CHECK. Instead, the gutless punk, extended his arms and pushed Campbell into the boards..clearing boarding. Much worse than the Laps cross check.

Check? You think the Ovie pushwas a check? If Ovie wanted to check Campbell he should have rode him into the boards for a clean, legal CHECK. Instead, the gutless punk, extended his arms and pushed Campbell into the boards..clearing boarding. Much worse than the Laps cross check.

This "logic" utterly baffles me. If the push was dirty, how could riding him into the boards have been legal? That would have ended much worse and actually would have deserved a severe penalty and suspension. That would have entailed Ovechkin driving him all the way from the goal line into the boards, which would have driven Campbell face first into the boards. Now THAT would have been intent to injure.

Ovechkin was going for Campbell's side and Campbell turned back the other way and exposed his back. I still don't see that play being worth a game misconduct, let alone a suspension. This was simply another example of a type of contact that is currently legal, but should not be. After a guy gets rid of the puck, you've got to let up. If you see a guy play the puck away, you let up (as would have been the case with the Ovechkin play). If you're already committed to the hit and can't avoid it, you've got to at least hold up and not destroy a guy (as would have been the case with the Cooke hit).

This "logic" utterly baffles me. If the push was dirty, how could riding him into the boards have been legal? That would have ended much worse and actually would have deserved a severe penalty and suspension. That would have entailed Ovechkin driving him all the way from the goal line into the boards, which would have driven Campbell face first into the boards. Now THAT would have been intent to injure.

I disagree. If Ovy had ridden Campbell into the boards I don't think the hit would have been nearly as dangerous as it was when he shoved him from a few feet out. Look at the way Campbell goes flying into the boards a result of Ovechkin's carelessness. His head and shoulders are put in that awkward position that so often results in long-term injuries. An lo and behold, it has resulted in a long-term injury. That's what made Lapierre's shove so dangerous. The fact that Nichol isn't injured and Lapierre still received 4 games should tell you that Ovechkin should be in line for even more than that. Whether he will actually face the music is another matter.

Ovechkin was going for Campbell's side and Campbell turned back the other way and exposed his back. I still don't see that play being worth a game misconduct, let alone a suspension. This was simply another example of a type of contact that is currently legal, but should not be. After a guy gets rid of the puck, you've got to let up. If you see a guy play the puck away, you let up (as would have been the case with the Ovechkin play). If you're already committed to the hit and can't avoid it, you've got to at least hold up and not destroy a guy (as would have been the case with the Cooke hit).

The logic is simple. You see big hits against the boards all the time, its when you push a player into the board where you get injuries. I really cannot see how anyone can think this was innocent. I slowed down the video, Ovie's hands were both on Campbells back as he pushed him in to the board. Whether Ovie thought he couldn't catch up to Campbell or just wanted to maliciously hurt him.

Ovie is a dangerous player, dirty, and it would be terrible for him to not be punished.

The logic is simple. You see big hits against the boards all the time, its when you push a player into the board where you get injuries. I really cannot see how anyone can think this was innocent. I slowed down the video, Ovie's hands were both on Campbells back as he pushed him in to the board. Whether Ovie thought he couldn't catch up to Campbell or just wanted to maliciously hurt him.

Yeah, it's much better to drive a guy's face into the boards with a thundering check than it is to push a guy into them. :wacko: Two minutes for boarding on that play, and even then nothing happens if Campbell doesn't change direction at the last moment and expose his back.

Yeah, it's much better to drive a guy's face into the boards with a thundering check than it is to push a guy into them. :wacko: Two minutes for boarding on that play, and even then nothing happens if Campbell doesn't change direction at the last moment and expose his back.

Glass gives. Boards don't.

Campbell changing direction is irrelevant. If he hadn't changed direction, he would have skated directly into the boards at full stride. He had no choice but to turn like that.

Glass gives. Boards don't.

Campbell changing direction is irrelevant. If he hadn't changed direction, he would have skated directly into the boards at full stride. He had no choice but to turn like that.

Full stride? Run into the boards? What are you talking about? He wasn't going close to full speed and initially looked like he was going to peel off in the same direction as he moved the puck. Instead of curls to go behind the net and what was meant to be a shoulder push ends up as a push in the back. Even as it was, Ovechkin wasn't trying to push in a downward motion to make Campbell go into the boards in such an awkward way.

Edited by Fanpuck33

What rule did Ovechkin break with that hit? A game misconduct was more than enough.

Had I been the ref, I don't think I would have even called a penalty on the play. :unsure:

Player in a vulnerable position. While in Ovie's case it isn't attempt to injure, but rather over-enthusiasm, it doesn't change the fact that he hit someone very vulnerable. Should be a suspension.

It was clearly boarding BTH, if that's not boarding...I'm not sure what is. Without the laps affair then yes 2 games would have been fine. They made the call with Laps for 4 games...Ovie is a repeat offender. This really is a black eye for the league and their multi-tier discipline system.

And Cooke got nothing. Bravo, NHL.

Cookes wasn't a penalty according to the current rules. You can't suspend him because of Savard got hurt.

It was clearly boarding BTH, if that's not boarding...I'm not sure what is. Without the laps affair then yes 2 games would have been fine. They made the call with Laps for 4 games...Ovie is a repeat offender. This really is a black eye for the league and their multi-tier discipline system.

Not really. They're just giving Ovechkin the same deal they give Pronger. He's been suspended 8-10 times and never for more than 2 games.