Carolina @ Montreal GDT: March 31st, 2010

Psycing

Yeah, well, I'm not saying these guys are the second coming or anything. Nor was I trying to use injuries/chemistry as an excuse for the recent slump specifically. It's more that, on the whole, I just don't see them being worthless pieces of crap; and I was trying to explain my specific belief that they'll make the playoffs. But there's no question, they need to get their sh*t together double-quick (The Cammy thing may actually be part of the problem - teams do often suffer letdowns when a major injured player returns. But this is certainly bad timing for it to happen).

As for Gomez and Gionta being overrated, what can I say? They were first line players on the Cup winning Devils...seems like some cred is for that little achievement due. But just to be clear: I wasn't saying they're superstars. I was saying they're quality veterans with Cup rings to whom I give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to getting this team into the dance. In short, on balance, I believe that these guys are good players and can be a good team. But certainly the inconsistency is maddening.

@Bold: Agreed and I think we'll make the playoffs but...

@Underlined: What makes you think the other teams we're competing against don't also have veterans of the calibre of Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Moen and Cammalleri? Sure, these guys are good guys to have but I disagree that they give us an edge over the other teams. Boston has Savard, Chara, Thornton, Morris; NYR has Drury, Redden, Gaborik, Roszival; Atlanta has Chelios, Reasoner, Kozlov, Kubina, Antropov; Philly has Pronger, Timonen, Hartnell, Emery. Seems like Montreal is pretty average in this regard.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Bold: Agreed and I think we'll make the playoffs but...

@Underlined: What makes you think the other teams we're competing against don't also have veterans of the calibre of Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Moen and Cammalleri? Sure, these guys are good guys to have but I disagree that they give us an edge over the other teams. Boston has Savard, Chara, Thornton, Morris; NYR has Drury, Redden, Gaborik, Roszival; Atlanta has Chelios, Reasoner, Kozlov, Kubina, Antropov; Philly has Pronger, Timonen, Hartnell, Emery. Seems like Montreal is pretty average in this regard.

Good question! You're right, I suppose, but the Habs are, right now, in a position to make the playoffs. So all I'm saying is that I think the core of this team is strong enough, both in terms of talent and leadership, to prevent that last-second final skid that would drop us out of the playoffs. We have too many quality vets for that to happen - or so runs the theory. That's not the same as saying that other teams don't have comparable vets. But Atlanta in particular has to outperform us in the remaining 5 games and that's not a great club to begin with; while Boston and Philly are both labouring under some mysterious season-long ailment - their core is divided against itself or else against the coach. All told, our leadership nucleus can go up against theirs under these particular circumstances. Anything can happen, but if I had to bet on whether our boys will make the playoffs, I would bet (nervously, mind) on their being there.

One thing that they really need is to get Cammelleri on a scoring pace.

If he doesn't score goals on crucial times at this time of his career than he is always

be a big gun in a team that make no or little playoffs.

People talk much of goaltenders but we all know this is not the problem with this team.

The problem is getting the killer goal and it's been all year.

We need a guy to score GWG and elavate his game, the only guy that can give more and

do that his Cammelleri, so Mike ....STEP UP !!

The HABS had a GIFT last night. Ruins, Flyers, Thrashers all lost. I know no one likes to back into the playoffs, but with all the hardships this season, a little luck going our way cannot be frowned upon.

It's only a gift if they take advantage of it.

With all the losing Carolina can still pass them, the certainly won't beat them next week.

They have to beat the Flyers and Islanders and hope for help.

I don't see them beating Buffalo Carolina or Toronto.

It's only a gift if they take advantage of it.

With all the losing Carolina can still pass them, the certainly won't beat them next week.

They have to beat the Flyers and Islanders and hope for help.

I don't see them beating Buffalo Carolina or Toronto.

Booooo Sir.

I just call them how i see them.

I will be routing for them to win them all but scoring 1 goal a game doesn't fill me with any confidence.

Didn't Toronto keep them out a few years ago? It can't go down to the last game

I agree...tonights a good game for them to set the tone for the rest. They have to play better and I feel they will, Philly has no Miller/Brodeur/Ward.

I just call them how i see them.

I will be routing for them to win them all but scoring 1 goal a game doesn't fill me with any confidence.

Didn't Toronto keep them out a few years ago? It can't go down to the last game

Would you have said this two weeks ago when they were winning 6 straight?

That's the thing. The last game is not a predictor of the next game...especially not with this bunch, which has been yo-yo-ing all season.

Looking through a few blogs this morning, I have to laugh; you read things like, 'suddenly, the loss to Carolina doesn't sting so much,' and 'gee, the Habs are in 7th place,' etc.. Right. All the doom, gloom, panic, dismay, "better book the tee-time," "the night the playoffs died," yada yada yada after the Carolina debacle basically goes poof. People wake up, blink, and realize such simple truths as:

-games in hand only matter if the other teams wins those games

-the teams we're competing against all have problems of their own

and suddenly the hysteria dissipates a little.

If you want rational reactions and analysis, you have to try to keep your eye on the bigger picture. But this is what fans and media seem congenitally incapable of.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The habs if anything have been consistently inconsistent which leads a lot of weight to CCs comment about how you cannot gleam anything from previous games haha.