GDT: Buffalo (43-24-10) vs Montreal (38-32-8)

dlbalr

With the #2 powerplay for the late season, we have every reason to hope that Calamari and MAB will get back into hot form and kickstart our offensive confidence. When the team believes they'rea a scoring machine, they become a scoring machine.

We just might, good Lord willin' 'n the crik don't rise, have a lot of post season fun this year . :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the #2 powerplay for the late season, we have every reason to hope that Calamari and MAB will get back into hot form and kickstart our offensive confidence. When the team believes they'rea a scoring machine, they become a scoring machine.

We just might, good Lord willin' 'n the crik don't rise, have a lot of post season fun this year . :)

I consider that a stretch...what I can see is a team that puts the scare of God into an opponent like Washington or Pittsburgh, and possibly gets past a Buffalo. The main point of my earlier, rather meandering post is that this team right now is playing significantly below potential. If that ends, then I expect a hard-fought second-round exit as the realistic 'best case' scenario. More than that would be wholly surprising (not to mention wonderful ^_^ )

I didn't get to see either game, maybe that is the key to success, 2 straight shut outs were pretty impressive. I read some posts, so the Flyers pretty much dominated in the last 2 periods and Halak stood on his head, Saturday they played pretty well throughout the game.

So i beleive if they beat the Islanders things should be pretty much a lock being the Flyers and Rangers meet twice.

I am also impressed with the agressive play we have in our end. It looked like the boys blocked about 153 shots and near shots. Seemed like lots of hard work.

What I especially liked was our aggressive forecheck. That is soooo not Jacques Martin's style, yet it can be so effective when used properly!

As far as the goalies are concerned, if the habs can pick up 3 out of 4 points in their next 2 games, I'd give the final game of the season to Price. But ther4e's no doubt in my mind that Halak starts the playoffs (even if Price gets a shutout against the lousy leafs)!!

What I especially liked was our aggressive forecheck. That is soooo not Jacques Martin's style, yet it can be so effective when used properly!

As far as the goalies are concerned, if the habs can pick up 3 out of 4 points in their next 2 games, I'd give the final game of the season to Price. But ther4e's no doubt in my mind that Halak starts the playoffs (even if Price gets a shutout against the lousy leafs)!!

If you don't start Halak, you set up Price for the fall again.

Halak has earned it. Even when you factor in all the shitty things that have happened to Price (shitty goal support, tougher opposition) Halak's actual SV% is better than his expected SV%. Price's expected SV% is somewhere in the .907 range with an actual .912, whereas Halak's is .914 with an actual of .927.

Even when you adjust the easier workload Halak's numbers are better, not to the extreme extent that his actual numbers show, but they are still better.

The playoffs are based on winning now, so you start Jaro. The trade factor is based on the next 5-10 years and that is not certain that Halak will be better.

Fans need to separate their personal feelings on the matter and support the Canadiens. I continue to support that Price will be better in 2-3 years, but that has nothing to do with this season.

I continue to break down the numbers for perspective, not to prove that Price is better.

I have witnessed too many one off seasons of greatness to declare Halak a star. Jesus, this fanbase should know better than any considering Theodore's 2002 and Huet's 2006 campaign, yet history seems to be an annoyance to this fanbase.

Both goaltenders have plenty to prove to me, neither is a 100% lock solid long term investment yet.

Edited by Wamsley01

I agree with your post, but your warning to Halak fans seems to apply to you as well. You annointed Price a superstar before he ever played a game in the NHL.. .For every one year wonder, there are just as many sure fire prospects that never live up to their potential. I have been worried for several years that Gainey rushed Price and may have ruined him. If not ruined him for good, maybe ruined him in Montreal. I have never disagreed with his potential, just how he was handled.

I for one hope they can lock up both Price and Halak over the summer. I agree it is too early to say long term, but perhaps I give Halak a better grade for his own potential. When you look back at his career, I see I guy who has always been underrated and has always performed. People like to say how Price is 2 years younger, but in reality, Price has more NHL experience to date. Halak still has some NHL development to do, starting with some playoff experience.

If they can sign these guys, then they can trade one away later when they have more data to make a call with. For now, let's hope one of them turns into the goalie of our dreams.. I don't care which one, as long as one of them does. :)

If you don't start Halak, you set up Price for the fall again.

Halak has earned it. Even when you factor in all the shitty things that have happened to Price (shitty goal support, tougher opposition) Halak's actual SV% is better than his expected SV%. Price's expected SV% is somewhere in the .907 range with an actual .912, whereas Halak's is .914 with an actual of .927.

Even when you adjust the easier workload Halak's numbers are better, not to the extreme extent that his actual numbers show, but they are still better.

The playoffs are based on winning now, so you start Jaro. The trade factor is based on the next 5-10 years and that is not certain that Halak will be better.

Fans need to separate their personal feelings on the matter and support the Canadiens. I continue to support that Price will be better in 2-3 years, but that has nothing to do with this season.

I continue to break down the numbers for perspective, not to prove that Price is better.

I have witnessed too many one off seasons of greatness to declare Halak a star. Jesus, this fanbase should know better than any considering Theodore's 2002 and Huet's 2006 campaign, yet history seems to be an annoyance to this fanbase.

Both goaltenders have plenty to prove to me, neither is a 100% lock solid long term investment yet.

People like to mention Theodore as if he only played good in the 2002 year and forget that he had a very good season 2004 as well and that made us think he would be a consistent long term star goalie. He was that until he signed a deal that made him one... and then he fell.

People like to mention Theodore as if he only played good in the 2002 year and forget that he had a very good season 2004 as well and that made us think he would be a consistent long term star goalie. He was that until he signed a deal that made him one... and then he fell.

2004 was good, but nowhere near the same as 2002.

In 2002 his season was statistically the best in the NHL, in 2004 it was 9th or 10th.

Either way, it doesn't change the point. One great season and one good one didn't assure

an All-Star career.

Edited by Wamsley01

I agree with your post, but your warning to Halak fans seems to apply to you as well. You annointed Price a superstar before he ever played a game in the NHL.. .For every one year wonder, there are just as many sure fire prospects that never live up to their potential. I have been worried for several years that Gainey rushed Price and may have ruined him. If not ruined him for good, maybe ruined him in Montreal. I have never disagreed with his potential, just how he was handled.

I for one hope they can lock up both Price and Halak over the summer. I agree it is too early to say long term, but perhaps I give Halak a better grade for his own potential. When you look back at his career, I see I guy who has always been underrated and has always performed. People like to say how Price is 2 years younger, but in reality, Price has more NHL experience to date. Halak still has some NHL development to do, starting with some playoff experience.

If they can sign these guys, then they can trade one away later when they have more data to make a call with. For now, let's hope one of them turns into the goalie of our dreams.. I don't care which one, as long as one of them does. :)

The warning applies to me as I was in 2007. I don't view things through the same lense as I did 3 years ago. I could still be right, but it doesn't mean the opinion was based on anything more than instinct and intuition. Just because you are right about something, doesn't mean your thought process behind the declaration or statement was sound. Every choice has a 50/50 chance of being right.

Price has more NHL experience, but 2 years growth in pro hockey is a big difference. Two years growth in everyday life is a big difference. Maturity physical and emotional can make all the difference in the world. Cedrick Desjardins doesn't have an NHL experience edge on Price, but we all know that in 3 years Price will be a much better goaltender than he is now. There is a certain age where age is no longer an acceptable excuse, but 22 is not that age.

Halak has yet to go through a stage where he is used as a scapegoat. Halak has yet to deal with the adversity of expectation, etc etc. If he eventually wins the battle, he will get raked through the coals like every Canadiens starter for the last 40 years. This is his honeymoon stage.

I wish the best on both, I just hope they are both in Montreal next season.

Edited by Wamsley01

The warning applies to me as I was in 2007. I don't view things through the same lense as I did 3 years ago. I could still be right, but it doesn't mean the opinion was based on anything more than instinct and intuition. Just because you are right about something, doesn't mean your thought process behind the declaration or statement was sound. Every choice has a 50/50 chance of being right.

Price has more NHL experience, but 2 years growth in pro hockey is a big difference. Two years growth in everyday life is a big difference. Maturity physical and emotional can make all the difference in the world. Cedrick Desjardins doesn't have an NHL experience edge on Price, but we all know that in 3 years Price will be a much better goaltender than he is now. There is a certain age where age is no longer an acceptable excuse, but 22 is not that age.

Halak has yet to go through a stage where he is used as a scapegoat. Halak has yet to deal with the adversity of expectation, etc etc. If he eventually wins the battle, he will get raked through the coals like every Canadiens starter for the last 40 years. This is his honeymoon stage.

I wish the best on both, I just hope they are both in Montreal next season.

Yep, I agree (as usual). A quick look at Halak's career stats reveal that, while he HAS always been a good goalie, he has never done anything remotely resembling what he's accomplished this year. He's never even been a starter in the pros before, at any level (ECHL, AHL, NHL) (!!). That should be an absolutely blazing red flag to those who want to extrapolate future results from current results. Keeping both of them is obviously the wisest course. The only X-factors are the likelihood of either of them wanting to stay in Montreal long-term (if either shows signs of wanting out, you likely should move him) and the possibility of getting an impact young player back in exchange for one rather than the other. (E.g., if someone offers you Carter for Price - just an example - that might justify taking a chance on Halak + Carter).

But to me, X-factors aside, that Halak has not been a #1 G since he was in the QMJHL in 04-05 is disconcerting, and should serve to make us cautious. But there's no question that he must be the go-to guy for these playoffs, assuming we make it. :hlogo:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I wonder if this goalie issue (or non-issue) can somehow be a blessing in disguise for the habs, as far as this year is concerned, it may end up with us losing Price. The reason I say this is, most fans/media have been galvanized around the Halak v Price debate it leaves little time for this to worry about the lack of scoring, the disappearance of the PP and the lack of killer instinct to finish off opponents.

One thing to note, the shots have gone down drastically against the habs, I believe we could call this the Markov effect.

One thing to note, the shots have gone down drastically against the habs, I believe we could call this the Markov effect.

If anything, it's the Markov + Gionta + Moore effect. The shots didn't go down instantly when Markov came back. And we still aren't consistently outshooting teams.

On the season as a whole, we've still been outshot quite badly.

I wonder if this goalie issue (or non-issue) can somehow be a blessing in disguise for the habs, as far as this year is concerned, it may end up with us losing Price. The reason I say this is, most fans/media have been galvanized around the Halak v Price debate it leaves little time for this to worry about the lack of scoring, the disappearance of the PP and the lack of killer instinct to finish off opponents.

All it is, is the scapegoat mentality that envelops this franchise.

It is a fanbase that when angry likes to jump to emotional conclusions. I want my answers now, and I want them simple. That is why it is constant scrutiny on the coach and the goaltenders, they are the easiest answers without defining the real problem.

The goaltending is the only reason this team is in a playoff spot and if their forwards could score then the wins would follow. Price has had 24 games where the Habs managed only 2 goals. How many points were squandered in those games? 10 extra goals could have been worth another 6-7 points.

Why didn't they score? They missed Markov for 40 games and Cammy and Gionta for another 20+.

So instead of looking at that, what do we get?

A goalie controversy and complaints about the coaching.

This is a circular argument that has been going on for generations.

If anything, it's the Markov + Gionta + Moore effect. The shots didn't go down instantly when Markov came back. And we still aren't consistently outshooting teams.

On the season as a whole, we've still been outshot quite badly.

Alright Debbie Downer...trying to look on the positive and you poopoo it :(

All it is, is the scapegoat mentality that envelops this franchise.

It is a fanbase that when angry likes to jump to emotional conclusions. I want my answers now, and I want them simple. That is why it is constant scrutiny on the coach and the goaltenders, they are the easiest answers without defining the real problem.

The goaltending is the only reason this team is in a playoff spot and if their forwards could score then the wins would follow. Price has had 24 games where the Habs managed only 2 goals. How many points were squandered in those games? 10 extra goals could have been worth another 6-7 points.

Why didn't they score? They missed Markov for 40 games and Cammy and Gionta for another 20+.

So instead of looking at that, what do we get?

A goalie controversy and complaints about the coaching.

This is a circular argument that has been going on for generations.

I understand your argument, but something good may have come from it, and that was my point. This wouldn't have happened if they had of manned up and named a captain to be the lightning rod for the team, instead they have JM, who doesn't exactly inspire that great leader to me.

Alright Debbie Downer...trying to look on the positive and you poopoo it :(

Just saying the improvement has been due to more than Markov... and there has been an improvement, that you were right. They've made a move in the right direction.

Maybe he's not the whole cause of the reduced shots, but he may be the catalyst to play a better defensive game to not leave Price and Halak out to dry.

I understand your argument, but something good may have come from it, and that was my point. This wouldn't have happened if they had of manned up and named a captain to be the lightning rod for the team, instead they have JM, who doesn't exactly inspire that great leader to me.

Forgot about the captain. There is another ridiculous lightning rod.