GDT: Montreal vs Carolina

BTH

This team misses Metro... I think he would have helped both our PP and would have given us a bit more grit down low.

I suspect this team will back into the playoffs, but I think they will lose to the Leafs. I don't expect much in the playoffs against Washington.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Leafs will come out flying because they have no pressure. If the Habs pot a couple of early goals, will they

go through walls with nothing to gain? They certainly didn't last night.

They are young and fighting for jobs, I don't really think they care if they deny the Habs the playoffs.

so the chance to end our season, no extra incentive? it's just about jobs? not even close.

Usually I am against Price being booed as he was recently for a game that was not his fault. Usually I defend this team and their players from attack. But I think now - for now - at this time - at this moment the players should understand that we are not happy. Our collective opinion right now ought to be along the lines of hoping the team gets an about face going into the playoffs.

Oh wait, I forgot - we're not there yet. Grow a pair now!

so the chance to end our season, no extra incentive? it's just about jobs? not even close.

Why does 80% of a roster who has played Montreal a couple of times want to knock them out?

They are a young team who hasn't been in the league long enough that hate the Canadiens, the fans

care more about that shit than the players.

The team has no direction and no rally point at all. Enough of the "by commitee" crap and name a captain, maybe then the players can get behind someone and make a stand... hell I'd even settle for making a play at this point.

Usually I am against Price being booed as he was recently for a game that was not his fault. Usually I defend this team and their players from attack. But I think now - for now - at this time - at this moment the players should understand that we are not happy. Our collective opinion right now ought to be along the lines of hoping the team gets an about face going into the playoffs.

Oh wait, I forgot - we're not there yet. Grow a pair now!

If the Rangers win tomorrow night and the Leafs get out to an early lead on Saturday, the crowd will turn on this team.

The way they have bent over during the last week, I wouldn't expect this team to dig down deep.

I don't know. several leafs have been on TV the last week talking about playing the spoiler role. It will be their last game and they can spoil our season (a rival in their division). I bet they show up and would love to knock us out.

Why does 80% of a roster who has played Montreal a couple of times want to knock them out?

They are a young team who hasn't been in the league long enough that hate the Canadiens, the fans

I don't know. several leafs have been on TV the last week talking about playing the spoiler role. It will be their last game and they can spoil our season (a rival in their division). I bet they show up and would love to knock us out.

They sure relished that spoiler role against the Bruins, Flyers and Rangers. They have 2 goals in their last 3 games in their spoiler role.

Edited by Wamsley01

After a desultory effort, its easy to get down...ok ...I'm down..but let's remember how hot they can get. Carolina lives to whup us.

We've got lots. MAB was starting to tick and Camallerri will keep warming up. Despair not! There's time for that later!

For sure, it's driven by the fans. But even the leaf call-ups, there biggest rival is hamilton, I'd think. Anyway, I don't like our chances on saturday.

If the Rangers win tomorrow night and the Leafs get out to an early lead on Saturday, the crowd will turn on this team.

The way they have bent over during the last week, I wouldn't expect this team to dig down deep.

That's too late. The players must accept the stomach churning that we are experiencing. This will be utterly embarrassing and booing while losing to the Leafs...ug...I don't want to think about it. TOO LATE!

What ever margin for error mixed with too much left over turkey from last weekend just evaporated. And, if any players should read this and they still have left over turkey or stuffing - throw it away!

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

For sure, it's driven by the fans. But even the leaf call-ups, there biggest rival is hamilton, I'd think. Anyway, I don't like our chances on saturday.

If the Habs get out to a good start (2-0 or 3-0) the Leafs will start packing their bags and mail it in.

If the Leafs lead early or are close then they will play with zero fear while the Habs will be tight.

It is a ridiculous position that they have put themselves in. All they needed was 2 points against 3 sub .500 teams,

there are only 7 sub .500 teams in the league.

That's too late. The players must accept the stomach churning that we are experiencing. This will be utterly embarrassing and booing while losing to the Leafs...ug...I don't want to think about it. TOO LATE!

What ever margin for error mixed with too much left over turkey from last weekend just evaporated. And, if any players should read this and they still have left over turkey or stuffing - throw it away!

They don't care if your stomach is turning. If they lose they will take their asses to the golf course, their cottage,

vacation etc. Nobody on this team has shown me they will do anything to win, so I don't expect them to be to upset

if they don't make the playoffs.

I admit frustration with Martin. The overall system is awesome when the gears are well greased and things are going well. But, what I'm disappointed with his lack of changing strategy offensively/defensively when the game merits it. Scream at the bench or get annoyed all you want Martin, but if the other team has 3 defenders in their slot - you're not going to get a lot of 1 timers out of that. Thank goodness the Gionta goal resulted from support. It's difficult for a goalie to deal with crashing net style and/or player support with 2 players in the crease area. Beyond that, there are likely not too many one timer opportunities that will materialize in the 3rd. Our offensive zone pressure has no real cycle. There are flashes from Gomez and Kostitsyn but no real cycling - mostly Carolina is forcing us to the permeter. Neutral zone awareness and NOT giving up the blueline is not on this teams' mind. And Jacques, please learn to adapt to have 2 defenders deal with 2 forecheckers. I'd prefer getting to the puck with 2 backcheckers and sacrificing the 3 player slotcoverage. Let Halak deal with that.

Geez

I pointed this out when the idiotic penguin was hired. This is a guy who could not win in the playoffs bcoz he would not adjust to changes made by the other team. I absolutely HATED the hiring, but had to read all of this crap on how great with developing young players and was done in by no goaltending in Ottawa. Another brilliant Gainey move!

Well he has done a brilliant job with the young guys. Gomez and Bergeron gave away the puck at least 8 teams each, Halak bailed out Bergeron 3 times. yet both keep getting rolled out. O'Byrne makes a mistake and he is nailed to the bench. I can't belive there was a fxckin thread discussing Gomez as a Selke candidate :wacko:

Regardless of whether the habs make the playoffs or not, Martin needs to be canned. I don't want him as an assistant GM - he showed he sucks at that by his time in Florida. Just get him the hell out of Montreal and bring in Boucher.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I pointed this out when the idiotic penguin was hired. This is a guy who could not win in the playoffs bcoz he would not adjust to changes made by the other team. I absolutely HATED the hiring, but had to read all of this crap on how great with developing young players and was done in by no goaltending in Ottawa. Another brilliant Gainey move!

Well he has done a brilliant job with the young guys. Gomez and Bergeron gave away the puck at least 8 teams each, Halak bailed out Bergeron 3 times. yet both keep getting rolled out. O'Byrne makes a mistake and he is nailed to the bench. I can't belive there was a fxckin thread discussing Gomez as a Selke candidate :wacko:

Regardless of whether the habs make the playoffs or not, Martin needs to be canned. I don't want him as an assistant GM - he showed he sucks at that by his time in Florida. Just get him the hell out of Montreal and bring in Boucher.

I could understand hiring Martin, I couldn't understand 4 years when you already had Carbo under contract for 3 years.

My only hope is bumping him upstairs. I hate and have always hated his philosophy.

The Leafs will come out flying because they have no pressure. If the Habs pot a couple of early goals, will they

go through walls with nothing to gain? They certainly didn't last night.

They are young and fighting for jobs, I don't really think they care if they deny the Habs the playoffs.

Are you kidding me, hockey night in canada, with the CBC blowhard cheering on his leafs, you don't think the leafs are going to be up for the game??? NJ plays Brodeur against the habs, Danis against the the teams the habs are battling. Ward beats the habs twice and Legace plays against the teams the habs are battling.

Toronto will be there all cylinders flying and Martin is going to be up against the team that has always ended his season. If the habs get in its probably going to because the flyers or rangers help them out, but otherwise i can see the leafs knocking the habs out like they did 3 years ago. IF the get in it will probably be like they did last year - and then they will be road kill for the Caps. They could have positioned themselves to play the sabres - by far the had the easiest schedule this week and they laid two turkeys and are setup for another one Saterday.

They sure relished that spoiler role against the Bruins, Flyers and Rangers. They have 2 goals in their last 3 games in their spoiler role.

Not the same thing as playing spoiler against the habs on Hockey night in Canada.

BUnch of gutless and heartless chokers! I am disgusted by this team! :wall:

Our small size is starting to catch up with us. You can't ask guys like Gionta, Cammalleri, Gomez, SK74 and Plex to grind it out along the boards for 2 periods against guys who are on average 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier and then expect them to come out on top in the 3rd. Just to make matters worse, our big guys are soft and they don't hit very hard. (pouliot, Gill, O'Byrne, Hamrlik)

Even if we do manage to make the playoffs, i'd be surprised if we win one game!

Agreed! I hate JM's passive aggressive style of play! We needed to be aggressive tonight. To come out with all cylinders going...it lasted about 5minutes, and then it was back to that soft style that JM likes!

Sorry about the rant...i'm just so fvc.king pissed off right now!

Edited by Habsfan

Are you kidding me, hockey night in canada, with the CBC blowhard cheering on his leafs, you don't think the leafs are going to be up for the game??? NJ plays Brodeur against the habs, Danis against the the teams the habs are battling. Ward beats the habs twice and Legace plays against the teams the habs are battling.

Toronto will be there all cylinders flying and Martin is going to be up against the team that has always ended his season. If the habs get in its probably going to because the flyers or rangers help them out, but otherwise i can see the leafs knocking the habs out like they did 3 years ago. IF the get in it will probably be like they did last year - and then they will be road kill for the Caps. They could have positioned themselves to play the sabres - by far the had the easiest schedule this week and they laid two turkeys and are setup for another one Saterday.

The Leafs have ZERO pressure, but they also have ZERO to play for.

Who cares who is cheering for the Leafs. They play on HNIC every weekend. There is no history between the majority

of this team and the Canadiens. Kaberle? Beauchemin maybe?

If the Habs score early the Leafs are not going to play for their lives, but if the habs come out flat they are in trouble.

Not the same thing as playing spoiler against the habs on Hockey night in Canada.

Yeah, the Leafs will raise their level because it is on HNIC. It is way down the list of motivators.

Edited by Wamsley01

Very frustrating loss, but let's face it: Caroline has a much better club than it show in the standings.

Sorry JC, but I disagree. Did you see the Canes' roster. 3/4 of their d-men were in the AHL this year. Their defense sucks and because we don't play an aggressive style (forecheck) and put pressure on their defensemen, it makes their job a whole lot easier!

Edited by Habsfan

Perimeter nonsense. The Canes have an AHL defense and they have not pressured them at all.

They've done it all year.

Remember when the Sens were on that long losing streak and they had no goalie? Came in Montreal with a bunch of AHL defensemen and Elliot in net. Beat us.

That other game vs NYI and their collection of AHL rejects? Beat us.

It's the stupid game plan. They're forbidden to leave the zone quickly so they can't use their speed to stretch the defense... they're forbidden to turn the puck over at the blueline but dont come in with enough speed to make the d back up, so the only option left is to dump the puck in the corner. But they're small and soft on the puck, so they lose it... and they're forbidden to forecheck aggressively at 2 guys, so they never cause any turnover and they have to come back in the neutral zone.

There you have it in a nutshell: a small speedy offensive team who is asked to play a slow physical defensive style that doesnt suits them. Failure by a coach to adapt his game plan to get the most out of the players he has.

The passes....when the habs play badly it's because they cannot make passes, when you're a puck possession team like the motto was supposed to be this year, without passing you have nothing.

They are going to make it, but they will backdoor it.

I'm not even sure they'll make it! With the Bruins win tonight, if the Habs lose agains thte Leafs on Saturday, the Rangers will still need to win both games, but no longer do the Fyers need to lose both games in OT. All the Flyers need is 1 point, and they go ahead of us!

There you have it in a nutshell: a small speedy offensive team who is asked to play a slow physical defensive style that doesnt suits them. Failure by a coach to adapt his game plan to get the most out of the players he has.

Good analysis, I completely agree with you!

Edited by Habsfan

I could understand hiring Martin, I couldn't understand 4 years when you already had Carbo under contract for 3 years.

My only hope is bumping him upstairs. I hate and have always hated his philosophy.

There was no way he was going to leave a GM job where he was getting close to a $1m without a long-term deal. Bottom line is the guy sucked in ottawa and since that time, the game has passed him by.

He is not only ill suited to coach the players we have, but the guy has shown he is lousy with young players. Why wasn't SK playing more? Pouliot has regressed and I really hope that the Pouliot we saw 2 mths ago is the real deal and what we are seeing now is a lost young player who is just not getting help from the coaching staff. O'Byrne is the ONLY physical dman and every mistake he makes he rides the pine. Hammer, Bergorn screw up, they get a free pass.

SK, AK take a bad penalty or give away the puck they ride the pine, Gomez gave up the puck on turnovers that led to goals or good scoring chances at least 8 to 10 times and no repurcussions.

I won't get into his lousy strategy, his lack of responding to changing sitations, but will only say one other thing - Max Lapierre the 1st shooter on the shootout against the Isles. In a shootout, you start with your top guys you don't go with a gut instinct on a guy who scored one nice goal and was stoned the next three times that night. And you certainly don't go with a guy who has played MAYBE 3 decent games all year in one of the most important games of the year.

Bob couldnt see anyone else than Martin and gave him everything he wanted to get him out of the GM office in Florida.

What annoys me most is how utterly BS Martin's reputation of being good with kids now appears. He messed up Lats and Laps, gave way too much chances to Dago, gave enough rope to Pacioretty for poor Max to hang himself when it was clear from day 1 that he wasnt ready, he gave Pouliot a favor treatment with PP time when it was Sergei Kostitsyn that was on fire and Pouliot was floating. Martin isnt fair with players amongst themselves. In the meantime some vets like Gomez are getting free-pass even when they're floating and not producing.

Aaaaargh. I've never disliked a Habs coach this much since... shit, I can't remember ever disliking a Habs coach this much. Even Mario Tremblay who was clueless and knew zero hockey technique wasn't making me feel as hopeless as Martin does. 3 more years of this? Please, God, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well call me a heretic, but part of me is kind of glad that it's coming to the last game. I know these are all NHL teams and NHL rosters, blah blah, but when is enough enough? If they can't seal the deal against the worst Leafs team since Ballard, then I kind of don't want to see these guys in the playoffs. I'm still having nightmares of last year, I don't want another "hey, at least we made it" moment followed by an embarassement unworthy of this franchise.