Leafs @ Habs GDT: April 10th, 2010

bar

The Habs will have to get a point tonight. I have a mystically pessimistic belief that all the other dominoes will fall in exactly the wrong way. All the other teams will get it done - which is what normal teams do when their backs are to the wall.

I really believe the Habs fell into the trap of doing the math and figuring they were in. We'll see what these jerks are made of tonight.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple...win we are in, lose we should be out. The decision is not up to us, but the team. I hope to see a huge effort tonight. If not I guess I will be rooting for Chicago. Until then...

GO HABS GO !!!!

I can't believe it's come down to this. But should we really be surprised? Big game tonight, to see who sweeps us in the first round. Assuming we get that point.

On the other hand, how many predicted this team was going to finish 14th or something like that in the conference. We've exceeded the expectations of a great number of posters here. Just goes to show that nothing is ever good enough in Montreal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm just as irritated as everyone else, but it sometimes pays to step back and have a look at the bigger picture, including how you felt months earlier. How many believed the Habs had no chance to make the playoffs this season? Be honest with yourselves and at least admit that, despite the frustration, they are actually performing somewhat above those expectations.

Some of you guys take all the fun out of hockey.

This is what it is all about, Habs/Leafs, Saturday night, cold beer, high stakes.

Let's kick their ass.

*Fires up NHL94 to get the good vibes going*

You know, you're absolutely right here. Just read all the BS going on and we are avoiding the one most miserable point - most seem to feel nervous in their guts that we are going to lose against the Leafs. My God! what more can be said about this pathetic team that even their real fans don't seem to have faith in them. To feel afraid of a game against a rival that's going to determine whether we get into the playoffs or not. It's Saturday and I'm at work in T.O during the day because of tax season and all the frickin' Leaf racoons asking me about what I feel about the game tonight and I have to disguise my fear because I can't even trust these losers to come out with pride. God Damn it, just play hard and don't humiliate me and whatever happens, happens, and I'll be happy. Win or lose, play to 99% of your potential and I'll be happy, Show some "hate-to-lose" emotion and I'll be happy. Also, bench Martin and let Muller take the reins tonight and then I'll be REALLY happy :clap::rolleyes:

yes

How strange is this......both the Canadiens and Bulldogs are playing their respective Toronto counterparts in the final game of the season. :wacko:

Habs are playing the Leafs.....Dogs are playing the Toronto Marlies.......

I hope that this is a good omen.

Edited by Lammy

How strange is this......both the Canadiens and Bulldogs are playing their respective Toronto counterparts in the final game of the season. :wacko:

Habs are playing the Leafs.....Dogs are playing the Toronto Marlies.......

I hope that this is a good omen.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't good news when that happened a couple of weeks ago...

Edit: Bulldogs lost 4-3 in a SO, Habs lost 3-2 in OT each back on March 20th.

On the other hand, how many predicted this team was going to finish 14th or something like that in the conference. We've exceeded the expectations of a great number of posters here. Just goes to show that nothing is ever good enough in Montreal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm just as irritated as everyone else, but it sometimes pays to step back and have a look at the bigger picture, including how you felt months earlier. How many believed the Habs had no chance to make the playoffs this season? Be honest with yourselves and at least admit that, despite the frustration, they are actually performing somewhat above those expectations.

I thought we were done when Markov went out, as I'm sure most people did. I guess in retrospect, I am surprised we control our own destiny on the final weekend.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't good news when that happened a couple of weeks ago...

Edit: Bulldogs lost 4-3 in a SO, Habs lost 3-2 in OT each back on March 20th.

That would be good enough tonight!

You can forget about all that hockey crap, goal posts, goalie controversy , luck...

If the last two games showed us the heart that this < revamped > team has then we are cooked for tonite.

We need a G** damn captain on this spineless team, they look like a ship with no GPS.

Boston is up on Carolina late, so they look like they're going to clinch (they also just needed a single point to get in).

Don't play to tie, guys. Play to win. But since Martin has had them playing to tie all year, I don't expect that to change. *sigh*

You can forget about all that hockey crap, goal posts, goalie controversy , luck...

If the last two games showed us the heart that this < revamped > team has then we are cooked for tonite.

We need a G** damn captain on this spineless team, they look like a ship with no GPS.

doesn't matter if they get in or not. They got a find a way to dump Gomez, hamrlik, Gill and I really don't want to see Bergeron back either. But the number one guy that win, lose or tie that has to go is the Penguin!!!

Boston is up on Carolina late, so they look like they're going to clinch (they also just needed a single point to get in).

Don't play to tie, guys. Play to win. But since Martin has had them playing to tie all year, I don't expect that to change. *sigh*

just beat me to the punch! the scenirio that seemed improbably last Monday is starting to play out :blink:

doesn't matter if they get in or not. They got a find a way to dump Gomez, hamrlik, Gill and I really don't want to see Bergeron back either. But the number one guy that win, lose or tie that has to go is the Penguin!!!

just beat me to the punch! the scenirio that seemed improbably last Monday is starting to play out :blink:

I think Gomez deserves another year where he has some chemistry and some healthy line-mates. Gill may be old and slow, but he is a cup champ and a leader, not to mention dynamite on the PK. Hammer only has one year left on his contract and I think it would be a smart move to keep him, and pair him with Subban next year. Most people in Calgary credit Dion's great development to Hammer. Spacek would be the one I look to dump, because he has more years remaining on his contract, and IMO he does less than Hammer. Subban coming up will probably make MAB redundant, but at his current salary I wouldn't mind keeping him in the pressbox. I agree 100% that JM needs to go.

Projected lineup for Toronto tonight:

Forwards

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel

Stalberg-Grabovski-Hanson

Mitchell-Brent-Orr (Brent's 1st NHL game of the year)

Primeau-Wallin-Sjostrom

Scratches: Caputi*, Irwin, Lundmark

Defense

Beauchemin-Phaneuf (Phaneuf's birthday today actually)

Kaberle-Schenn

Exelby-Gunnarsson

Scratch: Finger

Goalie

Giguere

Gustavsson

Projected lineup for Toronto tonight:

Forwards

Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel

Stalberg-Grabovski-Hanson

Mitchell-Brent-Orr (Brent's 1st NHL game of the year)

Primeau-Wallin-Sjostrom

Scratches: Caputi*, Irwin, Lundmark

Defense

Beauchemin-Phaneuf (Phaneuf's birthday today actually)

Kaberle-Schenn

Exelby-Gunnarsson

Scratch: Finger

Goalie

Giguere

Gustavsson

Man, the Habs better win this game 6-2. If they can't own the Leafs, how will they manage a full series against either of the top 4 teams.

The amazing thing is, after they blew the Islanders game I listed off the scenarios in my mind that

needed to occur for the Habs to miss the playoffs.

1. Rangers beat the Leafs (DONE)

2. Hurricanes beat the Habs in regulation (DONE)

3. Bruins beat the Sabres (DONE)

4. Rangers beat the Flyers (DONE)

5. Bruins beat the Hurricanes (DONE)

6. Leafs beat the Canadiens

7. Rangers beat the Flyers in OT

Seven things needed to happen. If any of those things does not occur, the Habs are in.

It is UNBELIEVABLE that 5 of 7 have occurred. If the Habs collapse tonight it will set up the

possibility of the miracle occurring and knocking the Habs out.

They need to win tonight and get it over with.

Edited by Wamsley01

IMO: Gomez is mostly paid as a player that delivers in the post season. The only way to judge having him and the contract is to see what PPG he delivers in the playoffs (assuming we make it). After all, Gomez has 49 points in his last 46 playoff games.

So, if we make the playoffs and he doesn't make noise than yeah, he's highly questionable. However, PPG in the playoffs is worth 100 times more than regular season PPG is worth. I don't expect my little rant to reassure the Gomez concerns from other fans. I am simply stating that I reserve judgement.

His 49 points in his last 46 playoff games is not too shabby.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

IMO: Gomez is mostly paid as a player that delivers in the post season. The only way to judge having him and the contract is to see what PPG he delivers in the playoffs (assuming we make it). After all, Gomez has 49 points in his last 46 playoff games.

So, if we make the playoffs and he doesn't make noise than yeah, he's highly questionable. However, PPG in the playoffs is worth 100 times more than regular season PPG is worth. I don't expect my little rant to reassure the Gomez concerns from other fans. I am simply stating that I reserve judgement.

His 49 points in his last 46 playoff games is not too shabby.

Bet Joe Thornton would trade all his regular season success for numbers like those, not to mention a couple rings.

Joe Thornton
I'll never understand him. He was good in the Olympics. It'll be interesting to see if he once again offensively floats or will he go to the dirty areas which he has utterly failed to do in prior playoffs.

Get in the corner Joe and don't be a pussy

I'll never understand him. He was good in the Olympics. It'll be interesting to see if he once again offensively floats or will he go to the dirty areas which he has utterly failed to do in prior playoffs.

Get in the corner Joe and don't be a pussy

I dunno. They call him Snow Thornton for a reason.

This is the time to be a habs FAN as someone said above, it's easy to be a fan in the good times...the team needs support now, show your true colours!

Getting off topic with Thornton but I just thought I'd remind people of this absolute laugh. Anyone remember when the 2006 playoffs started that Joe showed up and played game one with a very dark sun tan. That much of a tan will dehydrate. I decided to pay special attention to him. Yep, he was slower than his usual self. :wacko:

Imagine one of our players showed up over tanned like that. We'd want a lynch mob. :lol: