HabsWorld 2010 NHL Playoff Thread

Habsfan84

Interviewed on CBC, when asked what was the difference btw the 2 teams.. Richards said Hawks had 4 lines while Flyers had 3.. way to go captain blaming the 4th line when yours did nada all finals.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interviewed on CBC, when asked what was the difference btw the 2 teams.. Richards said Hawks had 4 lines while Flyers had 3.. way to go captain blaming the 4th line when yours did nada all finals.

What an $(%(?*($)$/_(?_"/

Habs had much less depth than them but nobody blamed the 3rd or 4th line

Buahahahahaha

Glad they lost, and at home

OLE OLE OLE OLE

Edited by rafikz

SIXTY-SEVEN!!! ;)

refs are brutal in game 6.. what a bunch of soft calls.. I can't believe how they are giving philly PP time to get back into it..

They ignore blatant calls, then decide to call phantom crap to "dictate the game"... Either call the obvious stuff, or let them play... stop interjecting yourself in the game at a whim..

Ever see an interference call when the puck is in the feet of the two players? Ever see an elbow for not lifting your arm, but just skating thru a guy bent over? How about a pick where you barely move.. lol...

I swear the league wanted this match up and they want 7 games.

* The only thing that has sucked more than the entertainment level of these Finals has been the refereeing - in fact the zebras were so bad they even had Glean Healy & co. saying that "they're getting it all wrong - they're calling penelties that aren't there and they're not calling the obvious penelties" or something to that effect. That's a really bad sign IMO because the commentators rarely seem to call the refs out as often as they should if they (the commentators) were doing their jobs right.

Some random thoughts:

* They say goaltending wins championships, right? Seems to me this year, the Hawks won it despite of goaltending rather than because of goaltending (and had the Flyers won I would have said the same thing). Leighton didn't look good, but I don't think Niemi did either. During the last or second-to-last game of the Flyers-Habs series, they were talking about how the Flyers had paid like $11,000 or something to pick up Leighton on waivers and they mentioned a couple of other items one could buy if you had $11,000 to spend. I think one of the things mentioned was either a signed Michael Jordan basketball shirt or a signed Gretzky jersey or something like that. I would have easily spent my money on the shirt/jersey. Disregarding possible after-affects of these playoffs and the chance that some stupid/half-desperate GM will be stupid enough to take a chance on him, I wouldn't be the least if he gets shipped right back to whatever minor league from whence he came. Same thing goes for Boucher and Huet BTW.

And Niemi... Wow. Chris Osgood was light years ahead of this guy IMHO.

* Speaking of the price certain players came at... What did the Flyers get in return for Sharp and Eager, respectively? I think former Flyer defender Kim Johnsson should also get his name on the Cup, he played 60 games in the regular season for the Hawks.

* If you look at the playoffs as a whole, Toews is a deserving winner of the Conn Smythe. He may not have scored any goals in the Finals, but he has scored some points and he's played well and been a face-off-winning machine. He's fought hard and led his team like a captain should. Yes he's had a lot of backing up from the rest of his team - at least Chicago's first line picked it up after that horrible start. Can't say the same thing about the object of Pierre McGuire's sexual fantasies. It wouldn't surprise me if Toews has been playing with an injury. And even if he hasnt, I won't fault him for not playing at the same level as the first three rounds of these playoffs. He's the second-youngest capitanovich to win the Cup and I remember one or a few or the Hawks talked about how nervous they were going into Game 1 of the Finals. Crosby and Malkin have sort of taken turns of shining in the Finals one year and stinking up the place the next. It took some time in the Finals for Toews/Kane/Buff to get going again - Richards/Carter/filler just disappeared entirely. At least Toews made a difference. Carter didn't look like he even broke a sweat in the Finals.

* Booing the winner is lame. Booing the Conn Smythe winner is lame. Booing the Captain who gets to hoist the Cup is lame. Hell, I'm even starting to think booing Bettman is getting lame and certainly old.

* Kane's goal there was a probably the weirdest winning moment I've ever seen in the Stanley Cup. Looked like he was the only one who knew it went in and it took a while for the rest of the world to catch on. The refs didn't call it at first, there was no goal light that came on - I didn't even see a good replay of the puck going into the net.

* Last but not least, congrats to any Hawks fans out there. My advice is for you to just enjoy the moment. ###### the future, worry about tomorrow some other day. It may be another 50 years before the Hawks win again so enjoy this victory while it lasts and worry about the cap some other time.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I was surprised to find myself happy seeing Hossa lift the Cup. Congrats to Chicago, they certainly earned this Cup, and if any year was their year, this was it.

I was surprised to find myself happy seeing Hossa lift the Cup. Congrats to Chicago, they certainly earned this Cup, and if any year was their year, this was it.

+1

And his reaction was priceless

+1

And his reaction was priceless

+2. I was also happy for Hossa...especially after phily tied the game off his skate late in the 3rd!!!

Talk about lousy fans...they booed the Hawks during the cup ceremony...even our rabid fans in Montreal wouldn't do that. At a certain point, you have to acknowledge the other teams' success!

And they wonder why nobody likes the people in Philly!! BUnch of drunken idiots!

Congrats to the fans in Chicago, you've waited long enough!

Edited by Habsfan

It will be interesting to see what happens with Chicago now. They really don't have a goalie. Niemi sucks and while they survived it they shouldn't count on it. They need someone a bit more reliable going forward. They also have cap issues with means they will have to drop some talent. I think that will hurt, but if they can get better goaltending it might compensate for it somewhat.

I get giddy every time I hear Philly talk about Leighton being their starter next year.. bring it on.

Toews is money. Half the fanfare of Ovie or Crosby, just as good a player. In fact, I would argue that Toews is a better two way guy then Crosby. I look forward to watching his career and dream of the day the Habs get a guy like that.

Interesting that in the end, Cammy was still the leading scorer in the playoffs. Halak had the best save percentage, even spotting Leighton 3 easy shutouts.

Reffing was brutal.. the competence of the reffing is not good enough. They need to work on this to improve the games overall. The players too the same numbers of penalties all game long, but no calls in the 3rd after terrible crap for the first 2 periods.. .so the refs did change how they called the game. I know some people like that, but I prefer consistency. They should have called the entire game like the 3rd, rather then making stuff up as they went along. Anytime a ref is consciously changing the way he is calling, he is consciously impacting the game. That is a dangerous slope to influencing and bias.

2009-nhl-playoffs.jpg

Round 1

Eastern Conference

(1) Washington vs. (8) Montreal (4-3)

(2) New Jersey vs. (7) Philadelphia (4-1)

(3) Buffalo vs. (6) Boston (4-2)

(4) Pittsburgh vs. (5) Ottawa (4-2)

Western Conference

(1) San Jose vs. (8) Colorado (4-2)

(2) Chicago vs. (7) Nashville (4-2)

(3) Vancouver vs. (6) Los Angeles (4-2)

(4) Phoenix vs. (5) Detroit (4-3)

Round 2

Eastern Conference

(4) Pittsburgh vs. (8) Montreal (4-3)

(6) Boston vs. (7) Philadelphia (4-3) 

Western Conference