Fanpuck33

Thursday, April 15 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Saturday, April 17 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Monday, April 19 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

Wednesday, April 21 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

*Friday, April 23 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Monday, April 26 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Wednesday, April 28 at Washington, TBD TSN

Wow, I'm very surprised the game on Saturday won't be an afternoon game. I had a feeling Boston vs. Buffalo would be one of the NBC games (the Ryan Miller factor), but I thought they'd put the two series on different days, to accommodate television. It's a good thing we aren't facing the Devils, whose 1st round matchup with Philly is only going to be on TV in the US if it lasts longer than the other series.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday, April 15 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Saturday, April 17 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Monday, April 19 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

Wednesday, April 21 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

*Friday, April 23 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Monday, April 26 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Wednesday, April 28 at Washington, TBD TSN

Wow, I'm very surprised the game on Saturday won't be an afternoon game. I had a feeling Boston vs. Buffalo would be one of the NBC games (the Ryan Miller factor), but I thought they'd put the two series on different days, to accommodate television. It's a good thing we aren't facing the Devils, whose 1st round matchup with Philly is only going to be on TV in the US if it lasts longer than the other series.

Seriously Fanpuck, I don't know why you are so surprised about it. There is a 6M+ people market here who have been living since 1952 with "La Soirée du Hockey" on saturday 7pm. + RDS probably have saturday 7pm signed in their contract with the NHL ... There is one or two games per year on satrurday who are played in the afternoon, mostly during the Christmas Hollyday and for one of your Hollyday in the U.S. (feb. 6 this season...) The other games not a 7pm on saturday were away against L.A. and Edmonton and for some reason against Nashville at 8pm... Against an Eastern team, in the playoffs, Saturday 7pm was really a lock...

Seriously Fanpuck, I don't know why you are so surprised about it. There is a 6M+ people market here who have been living since 1952 with "La Soirée du Hockey" on saturday 7pm. + RDS probably have saturday 7pm signed in their contract with the NHL ... There is one or two games per year on satrurday who are played in the afternoon, mostly during the Christmas Hollyday and for one of your Hollyday in the U.S. (feb. 6 this season...) The other games not a 7pm on saturday were away against L.A. and Edmonton and for some reason against Nashville at 8pm... Against an Eastern team, in the playoffs, Saturday 7pm was really a lock...

Ya, it's true Fanpuck. You're no doubt aware of it anyway. We just don't do afternoon hockey here.

We're talking about the NHL here, who has proven that it is more than happy to bend over and do whatever NBC asks. I mean, last year they scheduled back-to-back games in the finals just to make NBC happy. They also allowed NBC to carry games 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7 instead of games 3-7, leading to the possibility that the Cup could have been won without being on network television in the US.

We're talking about the NHL here, who has proven that it is more than happy to bend over and do whatever NBC asks.

I think Fanpuck does have a point. The NHL seems to do whatever NBC demands. I am glad to see all our games are at 7PM. I DESPISE afternoon games...I hate them. Hockey was meant to be played at 7PM-7:30PM...not 12:30pm.

I think Fanpuck does have a point. The NHL seems to do whatever NBC demands. I am glad to see all our games are at 7PM. I DESPISE afternoon games...I hate them. Hockey was meant to be played at 7PM-7:30PM...not 12:30pm.

NBC can't rule over other contracts and I'm pretty sure RDS has it a 7pm for ALL habs games in the playoffs.

NBC can't rule over other contracts and I'm pretty sure RDS has it a 7pm for ALL habs games in the playoffs.

If they do, that's no worse than bending over to NBC. No television network should decide when a game is played.

Several years ago, the Caps had to play the Lightning in the playoffs. Game 6 was the deciding game, and it was played on a Sunday afternoon. Why? The Wizards got priority pick of the date. After the Caps lost that game, Ted Leonsis was quoted as saying he'd never again let his team be treated as second class in their own building.

So I don't think Ted likes matinees for the playoffs, either.

If they do, that's no worse than bending over to NBC. No television network should decide when a game is played.

It's not like they decide to have it at a time when people who watch don't want to have it. Saturday 7pm is part of tradition here...

Why should RDS have any say in determining the time of a game in Washington?

Dunno what to answer there, I'd need more info about Washington's fanbase and tv coverage status.

Wich channel have Caps games exclusivity. Is there one ?

How big is the Caps market ?

Edited by JoeLassister

Why should RDS have any say in determining the time of a game in Washington?

Dunno what to answer there, I'd need more info about Washington's fanbase and tv coverage status.

Stop ruining the thread with this schedule stuff!

Why would any of that matter? RDS dictating to Montreal when to play home games is bad enough. Dictating to other teams when to play would be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.

Stop ruining the thread with this schedule stuff!

LOL this thread sucks since the beginning, started with the words "I am affraid" hahaha

Why would any of that matter? RDS dictating to Montreal when to play home games is bad enough. Dictating to other teams when to play would be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.

Why's that ? You got a 6-7M people market here with a broadcaster who has an exclusivity deal. It is just normal that they (the league) will go with the time period where the advertising revenus will be at their highest, aka 7h00pm-21h00pm on the saturday night. Afternoon time games would probably kill it.

Why's that ? You got a 6-7M people market here with a broadcaster who has an exclusivity deal. It is just normal that they (the league) will go with the time period where the advertising revenus will be at their highest, aka 7h00pm-21h00pm on the saturday night. Afternoon time games would probably kill it.

I just don't even know what to say. What you're essentially saying is that because Montreal's fan base is larger and more profitable, it is more important than the opposition's fan base. If RDS had the power you seem to think they do, they would be able to go to Western teams with small markets and tell them they're going to play home games at 4 PM Pacific because the crowd back in Montreal will be happier with it. The league and the home team are the only entities which have any right to say when a game is played.

I guarantee that the RDS contract with Montreal says nothing about RDS controlling when home games are played. Now, that's not to say they don't have influence. They do control how much money they're willing to give the team in exchange for the rights to televise them. Thus, it is in Montreal's best interest to schedule home games at a time where RDS makes the biggest profit. But there's no way they have any say over the timing of road games. Every city has it's own television affiliate and fan base to appease. RDS has no right to "trump" any other team's fan base.

P.S. RDS only has French exclusivity on the Habs. Otherwise, the Habs would not be allowed to air on CBC, TSN, NHL Network, or SportsNet.

I just don't even know what to say. What you're essentially saying is that because Montreal's fan base is larger and more profitable, it is more important than the opposition's fan base. If RDS had the power you seem to think they do, they would be able to go to Western teams with small markets and tell them they're going to play home games at 4 PM Pacific because the crowd back in Montreal will be happier with it. The league and the home team are the only entities which have any right to say when a game is played.

I guarantee that the RDS contract with Montreal says nothing about RDS controlling when home games are played. Now, that's not to say they don't have influence. They do control how much money they're willing to give the team in exchange for the rights to televise them. Thus, it is in Montreal's best interest to schedule home games at a time where RDS makes the biggest profit. But there's no way they have any say over the timing of road games. Every city has it's own television affiliate and fan base to appease. RDS has no right to "trump" any other team's fan base.

P.S. RDS only has French exclusivity on the Habs. Otherwise, the Habs would not be allowed to air on CBC, TSN, NHL Network, or SportsNet.

I know they have french exclusivity. but What's the point there? Habs games, when away in Pacific, are already on air on RDS at 10pm here, so 7pm local time. We're talking here about 2 teams from the East coast who will play ALL their games at 7pm unless there is a major hollyday.

My point was : why are you expecting an afternoon game between two east coast teams when there is ABSOLUTELY no point going on with an afternoon game?

I was wondering why the league should ignore the Soirée du Hockey tradition in a die hard fans 6M people market to accomodate people near Washington and go with a game in the afternoon? Like, what the hell is NBS showing at 7pm on saturday that would justify to rule out the Habs in Quebec and their Saturday 7pm tradition ?

You guys from the USA look like you are more used to have afternoon games, so be it: Boston vs Buffalo. We never get this in Canada, so why start with a SATURDAY PLAYOFFS GAME (aka the best the NHL can get in terms of advertising incomes) ??

Edited by JoeLassister

My point was : why are you expecting an afternoon game between two east coast teams when there is ABSOLUTELY no point going on with an afternoon game?

You guys from the USA look like you are more used to have afternoon games, so be it: Boston vs Buffalo. We never get this in Canada, so why start with a SATURDAY PLAYOFFS GAME (aka the best the NHL can get in terms of advertising incomes) ??

NBC isn't just showing the game in the Washington market - they show the game nationally on network television. I expect it because NBC only shows games in the afternoon until the finals (and is the only reason there are afternoon games in the playoffs). They do so because they figure Law and Order repeats will get better ratings in prime time. There are only about 4 teams that they show with regularity - Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington. NBC only wants the games that will bring in the most viewers. Ovechkin is one of the two biggest draws in the NHL. Thus, I find it amazing that Washington (and Pittsburgh for that matter) is not on the NBC schedule in the first round. Any game involving Washington is typically on the top of the NBC wishlist. And with the NHL, NBC gets what NBC wants. I mean, in addition to what I've already mentioned, the NHL let NBC shut down viewing parties outside of arenas that were showing the NBC broadcast of the game, because they wanted Nielsen viewers to watch at home. The NHL is NBC's bitch.

I was wondering why the league should ignore the Soirée du Hockey tradition in a die hard fans 6M people market to accomodate people near Washington and go with a game in the afternoon?

Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound with that statement? You're essentially saying that French speaking Montreal fans are more important than Washington fans (and ex-patriot Habs fans living in the states, for that matter). An opposing team has exactly ZERO right to tell anyone else when they are allowed to host a game. Maybe Montreal is playing a team that feels its fans are more lively in the afternoon and want to improve their home advantage. Montreal just can't refuse to play in the afternoon because a TV station in Canada won't let them. The home team and the league are the only two entities who have any right to determine when a game is played.

P.S. Do you really think there will be a significantly bigger audience in Quebec for a night game than an afternoon game on a Saturday? Sure, some people would be working on a Saturday afternoon, but a lot of them would just call in sick so they can watch the game, haha. Montreal fans will watch the game one way or another.

Edited by Fanpuck33

NBC isn't just showing the game in the Washington market - they show the game nationally on network television. I expect it because NBC only shows games in the afternoon until the finals (and is the only reason there are afternoon games in the playoffs). They do so because they figure Law and Order repeats will get better ratings in prime time. There are only about 4 teams that they show with regularity - Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington. NBC only wants the games that will bring in the most viewers. Ovechkin is one of the two biggest draws in the NHL. Thus, I find it amazing that Washington (and Pittsburgh for that matter) is not on the NBC schedule in the first round. Any game involving Washington is typically on the top of the NBC wishlist. And with the NHL, NBC gets what NBC wants. I mean, in addition to what I've already mentioned, the NHL let NBC shut down viewing parties outside of arenas that were showing the NBC broadcast of the game, because they wanted Nielsen viewers to watch at home. The NHL is NBC's bitch.

Ok good to know. Interesting cuz Pittsburgh plays the other Canadian team...

Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound with that statement? You're essentially saying that French speaking Montreal fans are more important than Washington fans (and ex-patriot Habs fans living in the states, for that matter). An opposing team has exactly ZERO right to tell anyone else when they are allowed to host a game. Maybe Montreal is playing a team that feels its fans are more lively in the afternoon and want to improve their home advantage. Montreal just can't refuse to play in the afternoon because a TV station in Canada won't let them. The home team and the league are the only two entities who have any right to determine when a game is played.

P.S. Do you really think there will be a significantly bigger audience in Quebec for a night game than an afternoon game on a Saturday? Sure, some people would be working on a Saturday afternoon, but a lot of them would just call in sick so they can watch the game, haha. Montreal fans will watch the game one way or another.

And how arrogant toward us in Québec the league would be by setting this game in the afternoon. Like saying "Both markets are fine in the evening, but I don't give a ######, let's go with 1pm !" We got a 50ish years tradition going on here, we don't watch hockey, we LIVE those games, especially the playoffs. EVERYONE is at home with friends (or in a bar/pub/restaurant) watching the games. I'd bet there are more people on the road moving in their car on freakin' Christmast Eve than there will be on saturday night.

To answer your questions about the audience increasing, i'd bet it would turn around 300,000 to 400,000 persons. Personnaly, i'm not someone who gets mad in life in general. It takes A LOT (and i mean A freaking Lot) to get me angry. That being said, like I said in my very first post, I would not be bugged if they decided to set this game at 1pm, I would be OUT OF MY MIND man, ######ing pissed ! IMHO, setting this game at 1pm is a reason to riot almost as good as suspending Rocket Richard. It is called "Shitting on your own market". After the lockout, everybody was talking about how difficult it would be for the NHL to catch up with small markets and how these ones have been hurt by the lockout. Here, it was not that bad, but it remains that this league just cannot shit on its own market for another 20 years to come, Law and Order or not...

Hell, imagine we got a NFL team in Montreal and we host the Superbowl. Sunday 1pm. How do you like that ?

I just don't even know what to say. What you're essentially saying is that because Montreal's fan base is larger and more profitable, it is more important than the opposition's fan base.

This is about money, so the answer to that is, in a word: yes.

Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound with that statement? You're essentially saying that French speaking Montreal fans are more important than Washington fans (and ex-patriot Habs fans living in the states, for that matter).

Again, in a word: yes. Montreal fans will bring in infinitely more revenue than all 16 Caps fans. :P

Hell, imagine we got a NFL team in Montreal and we host the Superbowl. Sunday 1pm. How do you like that ?

I would LOVE that! The NFL (and NCAA also) has screwed over young and working class viewers for years by airing games at night on "school nights." They play college football all year on Saturday afternoons - why play the championship game on a weeknight? 95% of NFL games are played on Sunday afternoons - why play play the biggest game of the season at night? I was in high school before I got to see the end of the Super Bowl for the first time and college when I got to see the end of the BCS title game (which starts 2 hours after even the Super Bowl - on a weeknight). Play both games on a weekend at 4 PM Eastern. Then it's not starting at 10 AM on the West Coast and East Coast viewers don't have to lose sleep to see the end.

And how arrogant toward us in Québec the league would be by setting this game in the afternoon. Like saying "Both markets are fine in the evening, but I don't give a ######, let's go with 1pm !" We got a 50ish years tradition going on here, we don't watch hockey, we LIVE those games, especially the playoffs. EVERYONE is at home with friends (or in a bar/pub/restaurant) watching the games. I'd bet there are more people on the road moving in their car on freakin' Christmast Eve than there will be on saturday night.

Washington is in the United States. 80% of the league's teams are in the US. The US is the market that needs the most help. The league should concentrate on pleasing and increasing the US market. Canadians will watch hockey no matter what, no matter when it is played. They're not going to alienate Montreal fans with an afternoon game that they're gonna what anyways. And heck, just think how much longer the party lasts after a win in the afternoon! And if NBC came to Montreal to ask them to play an afternoon game in the Bell Centre, then the Habs should have every right to tell them to screw off. But they shouldn't have any say about when a game is played anywhere else.

I would not be bugged if they decided to set this game at 1pm, I would be OUT OF MY MIND man, ######ing pissed ! IMHO, setting this game at 1pm is a reason to riot almost as good as suspending Rocket Richard

Man, now I really wish they'd scheduled an afternoon game just to see people get all bent out of shape about it. I think that'd be hysterical seeing riots because people are horrified to watch afternoon hockey. The only people who could have a legitimate beef with an afternoon game would be a Pacific or Mountain time zone team, because then the game would be starting in the AM locally, which would be ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong - hockey is played at night all season long and I agree that it belongs at night. However, playing in the afternoon shouldn't be a big deal and letting the visiting team have any say whatsoever in what a home team does is worse than what NBC does the the NHL. Home games are about the home team, not the visitors.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I would LOVE that! The NFL (and NCAA also) has screwed over young and working class viewers for years by airing games at night on "school nights." They play college football all year on Saturday afternoons - why play the championship game on a weeknight? 95% of NFL games are played on Sunday afternoons - why play play the biggest game of the season at night? I was in high school before I got to see the end of the Super Bowl for the first time and college when I got to see the end of the BCS title game (which starts 2 hours after even the Super Bowl - on a weeknight). Play both games on a weekend at 4 PM Eastern. Then it's not starting at 10 AM on the West Coast and East Coast viewers don't have to lose sleep to see the end.

Dude, are you waking up at 4am on monday or what ? How do you lose sleep when the Superbowl is over at 10h30pm ?

Washington is in the United States. 80% of the league's teams are in the US. The US is the market that needs the most help. The league should concentrate on pleasing and increasing the US market. Canadians will watch hockey no matter what, no matter when it is played. They're not going to alienate Montreal fans with an afternoon game that they're gonna what anyways. And heck, just think how much longer the party lasts after a win in the afternoon! And if NBC came to Montreal to ask them to play an afternoon game in the Bell Centre, then the Habs should have every right to tell them to screw off. But they shouldn't have any say about when a game is played anywhere else.

That's where we disagree. I just don't see how an afternoon game helps the american market. How having more people missing the game helps?

Man, now I really wish they'd scheduled an afternoon game just to see people get all bent out of shape about it. I think that'd be hysterical seeing riots because people are horrified to watch afternoon hockey. The only people who could have a legitimate beef with an afternoon game would be a Pacific or Mountain time zone team, because then the game would be starting in the AM locally, which would be ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong - hockey is played at night all season long and I agree that it belongs at night. However, playing in the afternoon shouldn't be a big deal and letting the visiting team have any say whatsoever in what a home team does is worse than what NBC does the the NHL. Home games are about the home team, not the visitors.

Another point where we don't agree. I think every games are about both teams, be it home or visitors, and their respective markets. The best for the league in terms of visibility and advertising incomes is to set the game when the most people from both markets will watch the game.

If they think they will hit more in the afternoon for a Boston-Buffalo game, then be it. But don't try to convince me that a Washington-Montréal will pay more in the afternoon. 7pm games will win hands down when a Canadian team is involved.

Another question :

Why do you think NBC is not showing series who involve Canadian teams ?

Dude, are you waking up at 4am on monday or what ? How do you lose sleep when the Superbowl is over at 10h30pm ?

That's a pretty short game. An average game is well over 3 hours these days, and then in the Super Bowl you've got longer commercial breaks and a ridiculously long half time. Then you're going to want to watch the celebration and the awarding of the trophy, then the special show that's on afterwards. Then if you're not watching at home, you've got to drive home. And if you have to drive home, that means you haven't been drinking as much as you want to so you don't kill someone. Now we're talking not getting to bed till midnight or later and getting less than 6 hours of sleep. I didn't drink at all this year and didn't get home till 1 in the morning.

Another point where we don't agree. I think every games are about both teams, be it home or visitors, and their respective markets.

Let's go with a hypothetical. Let's say that the Caps and Wizards each had their own building and had games scheduled for the same day. The Bullets game gets scheduled first and gets the evening slot. The Caps happen to get to choose between playing in the afternoon and evening. Should they be forced to go head-to-head against the Wizards game because of the market in Montreal?

That's where we disagree. I just don't see how an afternoon game helps the american market. How having more people missing the game helps?

People just don't watch TV on Friday and Saturday nights down here. TV shows go to Friday nights to die and most networks show old movies or re-runs from earlier in the week on Saturday night. I think it sucks for people who don't like going out all the time on weekends, but such is life.

Why do you think NBC is not showing series who involve Canadian teams ?

Because NBC doesn't think people in the US want to watch Canadian teams. They think Ryan Miller vs. a big market team will garner more national attention than Ovie versus a Canadian team. I would venture to guess that there aren't many ex-pat Canadians out there with Nielsen boxes in their homes. In terms of actual viewers, I think a Habs vs. Caps game on Saturday afternoon on NBC would be big. In terms of viewers who count for ratings, not so much. It's a flawed system, to say the least.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I'll jump in for a second, you really couldn't stay up past 1030 until high school? Even just for the Super Bowl? I used to not be able to stay up until midnight for MNF before high school but I even thought that was strict...

I'll jump in for a second, you really couldn't stay up past 1030 until high school? Even just for the Super Bowl? I used to not be able to stay up until midnight for MNF before high school but I even thought that was strict...

I don't remember for sure when my bed time moved from 9 to 10, but I know for sure I didn't start staying up past 10 on school nights until halfway through high school. I probably could have stayed up later if I'd asked, but I loved sleep and hated mornings, haha. On weekends and in the summer, I didn't have to be in bed till 11. Even then, as long as I was in bed, I could stay up as long as I wanted reading.

Part of not caring about my "early" bed time came from me knowing how much of a tool I was in the morning, even with 8-9 hours of sleep. Even through high school, I was immune to alarm clocks and pretty had to be shaken awake, haha. I was quite relieved when I got to college when I finally was able to wake up to an alarm on my own. :lol:

I've never actually seen an entire Super Bowl. Even when I started going to bed late enough to see the end, I'd fall asleep during halftime or the long commercials and miss big stretches of the game. Then senior year I skipped most of the first half to support my high school's hockey team senior night. Then in college I was too lazy to go to church in the mornings on Sunday and would go at 6 PM and miss the 1st quarter. Now, I just intentionally miss the beginning of the game, just so I can continue to say I've never seen a whole Super Bowl, haha.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I don't remember for sure when my bed time moved from 9 to 10, but I know for sure I didn't start staying up past 10 on school nights until halfway through high school. I probably could have stayed up later if I'd asked, but I loved sleep and hated mornings, haha. On weekends and in the summer, I didn't have to be in bed till 11. Even then, as long as I was in bed, I could stay up as long as I wanted reading.

Part of not caring about my "early" bed time came from me knowing how much of a tool I was in the morning, even with 8-9 hours of sleep. Even through high school, I was immune to alarm clocks and pretty had to be shaken awake, haha. I was quite relieved when I got to college when I finally was able to wake up to an alarm on my own. :lol:

I've never actually seen an entire Super Bowl. Even when I started going to bed late enough to see the end, I'd fall asleep during halftime or the long commercials and miss big stretches of the game. Then senior year I skipped most of the first half to support my high school's hockey team senior night. Then in college I was too lazy to go to church in the mornings on Sunday and would go at 6 PM and miss the 1st quarter. Now, I just intentionally miss the beginning of the game, just so I can continue to say I've never seen a whole Super Bowl, haha.

Haha, fair enough. I never quite had the discipline, when my bedtime was lifted I was quickly a nightowl. I do remember making deals in order to stay up late when the Vikes were on in primetime though. And when I was really young I was only allowed to watch the first period of the Habs game even on Saturday night!