Habs @ Washington: GAME 1

bar

The habs play a mean road game. They've shown it throughout the season. Just not consistently. They will get shellacked in at least one game, if not two. The rest will be competitive.

With that said, that was a perfect road game, and the Caps had better be worried now. If JM can motivate the players, the Habs have a real shot at winning this.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but it is mission accomplished at this point for the Habs. We needed to win one and we did that. It would be spectacular if we could put the cherry on top and take both, but at the very least we have taken home advantage.

Of course you're right. Splitting the first two is probably the best anyone could have hoped for, realistically. But if the Caps win Game Two, then I think the odds of them winning the series (already very high) spike up considerably. Even if we squeak one out in Montreal, they'll smell blood going back to Washington.

This team has also followed a 'great effort/poor effort' yo-yo logic all season. It would be just like these Habs to think 'mission accomplished!', let the foot off the gas in Game Two, and get shellacked. But that won't work if we want to have any plausible chance of winning the series. We will need all hands on deck and a superb coaching display from JM, who will have to adjust skilfully to Boudreau's adjustments; some of the things that worked tonight will not work in Game Two due to adjustments, and JM will need some in-game answers, because waiting to view the tape to figure it out means probably losing the series.

So what I say is this. The best chance we have of actually winning the series lies in somehow winning Game Two - especially if the Caps throw everything they've got at us and still lose, but any manner of victory would do. At that point, the Habs really would start to believe - and the Caps really would begin to doubt. And at that point, I like our chances.

:hlogo:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Great game. CC, they already survived one shelling in the first period, I don't think Game 2 will be worse than the first period this game. :lol:

You almost wonder if Washington expended too much energy early and had nothing left for OT. The Habs really outplayed the Caps down the stretch.

I had thought the Habs needed to score on that PP early in OT. Glad I was wrong.

I've been saying all year that Spacek has been unfairly maligned and I'm glad he had a huge game so that hopefully people wake up and see what he is bringing to the team even if he isn't bringing the offence they had accepted.

This team has also followed a 'great effort/poor effort' yo-yo logic all season. It would be just like these Habs to think 'mission accomplished!', let the foot off the gas in Game Two, and get shellacked. But that won't work if we want to have any plausible chance of winning the series. We will need all hands on deck and a superb coaching display from JM, who will have to adjust skilfully to Boudreau's adjustments; some of the things that worked tonight will not work in Game Two due to adjustments, and JM will need some in-game answers, because waiting to view the tape to figure it out means probably losing the series.

All good points, but I do believe that they would hold true even had we lost tonight's game. Needless to say the importance of winning game two has now diminished since we won the first one. We fought very hard today and had we lost, I think we would have had even less jump in the next game as a consequence. We will not react the same way after a big win as we did in the regular season. We have a good core of veterans within the group who understand the importance of each game in a playoff series. A win next game is not out of the question but it will not be easy.

This team has also followed a 'great effort/poor effort' yo-yo logic all season. It would be just like these Habs to think 'mission accomplished!', let the foot off the gas in Game Two, and get shellacked.

This is the part of the Habs' psyche they have yet to overcome this season: lack of killer instinct. We know they can do well, but once they do it they seem to feel "satiated" and just fall back on neutral.

As far as playoffs hockey goes, it would translate as the Habs leading the series 3-1 and not being able to close. Playoffs can be long, grueling, and 1 game is often 1 game too many. You need to pummel and pummel again, be mean and finish off the enemy as early as you can.

It was amazing to see everyone doing their job and working so hard. I'm really proud of them.

Spacek took an absolute beating tonight but played so well. Every time he went in to the corner the Washington forward would crush poor Space-man. But he would get right back up and continue to do his job.

Great job boys :clap:

Yea, other then the first 20 minutes when they sttod around like deer in the headlights it was a solid effort.

I can't even say anyone really had a bad game, a few bad shifts here and there, especially Hamrlik but overall he was pretty solid.

If they play like they did the second of of the game, win or lose i'll be satisfied.

I know they have been inconsistant most of the year but i wanted to make one point that i don't think anyone mentioned. When the Capitals took a 2-1 lead, prior Habs teams would have crumbled and lost 5-1. So whether it's coaching, new leadership or whatever that is very nice to see the team not give up.

Did anyone else notice how frustrated the Caps were getting when they couldn't beat Halak in the 1st?!? It totally reminded me of the Olympic game between CAN/RUS where when the going got tough and the chips were down, the Russian team turned into a bunch of solo artists trying to do it all themselves.

If the Habs can continue to blanket Ovie, and Halak plays great like he did last night, I will be the first to admit this could go longer than I'd originally thought.

PS - ROFL @ Caps getting 47 shots on goal and the Gr8 one getting blanked....

Yesterday's game was AWESOME! I have a feeling there will be something to celebrate about in June :lol:

Ssshhhh!!! You're gonna jinx it for our boys!

I will get excited when they win the series, I have witnessed too many playoff series turn on a dime over the past

30 years to get too satisfied with 1 win. So I will attempt to reign in the hyperbole.

I still bare the scars of 2002 and 2006 and a ton of previous series where the Habs lifted their foot of the pedal.

1996. Habs go into New York and take the first two. Leading 2-0 returning home they never hold the lead

in the series again. Rangers take 4 straight.

2002. Up 2 games to 1 and 3-0 in the 3rd period. 18 minutes aways from a 3-1 lead and a trip to the

Conference Finals. Result? Outscored 17-3 over the final 7 periods.

2006. Up 2 games to 0 heading home and leading 1-0 with 8 minutes remaining. A 3-0 series lead against the

eventual champs staring them in the face. Result? 4 straight losses.

2008. Up 3 games to 1 heading home to clinch an easy opening round win. Price has allowed only 4 goals

in his first 4 games. Result? The Bruins score 10 goals over the next 2 games and force a Game 7.

This happens every single season. Look at 1993 even. Trailing the Nords 2-0 and in OT in Game 3. Result?

11 straight wins and 16 win in the next 18 games.

The playoffs are like a heavyweight title fight and the Habs just won round one. Like Mike Tyson says, everybody

has a plan until they get punched in the face. Lets see how they react to the Caps landing a haymaker.

Don't forget that this team hung on for dear life for a playoff spot just 5 days ago.

Edited by Wamsley01

1 down, 15 to go. Not much else to say, Halak kept us in and the guys got it done on the ice. Hoping we can keep it up. This has only begun!

I will get excited when they win the series, I have witnessed too many playoff series turn on a dime over the past

30 years to get too satisfied with 1 win. So I will attempt to reign in the hyperbole.

I still bare the scars of 2002 and 2006 and a ton of previous series where the Habs lifted their foot of the pedal.

1996. Habs go into New York and take the first two. Leading 2-0 returning home they never hold the lead

2002. Up 2 games to 1 and 3-0 in the 3rd period. 18 minutes aways from a 3-1 lead and a trip to the

2006. Up 2 games to 0 heading home and leading 1-0 with 8 minutes remaining. A 3-0 series lead against the

2008. Up 3 games to 1 heading home to clinch an easy opening round win. Price has allowed only 4 goals

in his first 4 games. Result? The Bruins score 10 goals over the next 2 games and force a Game 7.

This happens every single season. Look at 1993 even. Trailing the Nords 2-0 and in OT in Game 3. Result?

The playoffs are like a heavyweight title fight and the Habs just won round one. Like Mike Tyson says, everybody

has a plan until they get punched in the face. Lets see how they react to the Caps landing a haymaker.

Don't forget that this team hung on for dear life for a playoff spot just 5 days ago.

The game 4 is the still the most gut wrenching defeat I have experienced as a sports fan.

The game 4 is the still the most gut wrenching defeat I have experienced as a sports fan.

Yeah, major gutshot.

The only game where I threw a bigger temper tantrum was when the Nords scored 2 in the last

minute of Game 1 in 1993 and won in OT.

Sheesh, thanks a lot, Captain Bringdown :lol:

I saw my warnings about the importance of Game Two as a less demoralizing way of making the same point. Now you had to go and remind of those damned series against Carolina and New York. BAH!

Look, it was a great win, and when you have next to no chance, you have to savour every single moment of whatever victories you've got. To my fellow fans, I say: enjoy every second until Game Two! For a brief moment, all the pundits with their predictions of 'Caps in three' and all their mocking of the 'smurfs' have been set on their heels and everyone is agog at our Montreal Canadiens. Milk it!

Meanwhile, I've said all along that our only chance of having a hope is for our veteran D to come up big, and for Halak to ride out the waves of Capitals attacks early in games early in the series. Game One shows that the Habs were listening to the game plan ^_^:lol: Now if we can win Game Two, that's when we can really start to begin to hope. But winning Game Two will be even more miraculous than winning Game One. As always, habs folklore has the operative axiom: cherchez le gardien!

I must say, I missed this feeling quite a bit. Winnning a playoff game, IN OVERTIME. It's freaking Friday as well. What a fantastic day it is. Sure, I'm still at work right now, but I'm okay with that.

Definitely relishing the moment. :clap:

I'm tagging along Wamsley in favor of caution. It's always easier for the lower seed to upset the top seed on their home ice in Game 1. The real test will be Game 2. Then Game 3, then Game 4... It's the playoffs, the real test is always the next game.

Ovi loves Montreal and the emotion at the Bell Centre, so you have to expect that he might be extra-motivated in Game 3 and 4. Gotta take the opportunity to hammer the Caps with another body blow in Game 2 before then.

I saw my warnings about the importance of Game Two as a less demoralizing way of making the same point. Now you had to go and remind of those damned series against Carolina and New York. BAH!

Look, it was a great win, and when you have next to no chance, you have to savour every single moment of whatever victories you've got. To my fellow fans, I say: enjoy every second until Game Two! For a brief moment, all the pundits with their predictions of 'Caps in three' and all their mocking of the 'smurfs' have been set on their heels and everyone is agog at our Montreal Canadiens. Milk it!

Meanwhile, I've said all along that our only chance of having a hope is for our veteran D to come up big, and for Halak to ride out the waves of Capitals attacks early in games early in the series. Game One shows that the Habs were listening to the game plan ^_^:lol: Now if we can win Game Two, that's when we can really start to begin to hope. But winning Game Two will be even more miraculous than winning Game One. As always, habs folklore has the operative axiom: cherchez le gardien!

Sorry, I knew it had a negative tone but I couldn't help myself.

Ovie didn't play well and we won in overtime. Anyone who thinks Spacek can shut him down every game is dreaming. We are still in tough and will need everyone at the top of their game to pull this off.

One thing we don't have to worry about is Halak being cold facing 15 shots and losing his edge. Whether he can keep this up is always a question, but it will be nice if the boys can win one without him having to work that hard.

While pleks got the winner he was pretty useless most of the game. He has room to step up and play better. Markov has so much more in him that we have seen lately, I sure hope he steps up some more.

I love watching the CBC brood because the Habs won a game. I would love to win this series and have PJ Stock be forced to eat his words...

Ovie didn't play well and we won in overtime. Anyone who thinks Spacek can shut him down every game is dreaming. We are still in tough and will need everyone at the top of their game to pull this off.

One thing we don't have to worry about is Halak being cold facing 15 shots and losing his edge. Whether he can keep this up is always a question, but it will be nice if the boys can win one without him having to work that hard.

While pleks got the winner he was pretty useless most of the game. He has room to step up and play better. Markov has so much more in him that we have seen lately, I sure hope he steps up some more.

I love watching the CBC brood because the Habs won a game. I would love to win this series and have PJ Stock be forced to eat his words...

It is amazing, how the CBC "experts" have a deep hatred for the Habs. It's not much better over at TSN. I suppose it's all guys who grew up in the 70's, during our dynasty years. That mush-mouth Stock is a special case. He has a couple of mildly amusing stories about life in the NHL as a fourth liner, but doesn't add much else.

I just love how you spare me having to write stuff. Like he said.

Enjoy for God's sake! Enough of the anticipated grief routine! Get miserable after a miserable game! Be inspired after an inspiring game!

Just because there is a second law of themodynamics, doesn't mean your spirits can't rise! Fatalism is fatal.

Which doesn't mean that the following line wasn't just terrific

Like Mike Tyson says, everybody

has a plan until they get punched in the face.

HAHAHAHA!

Don't worry; be happy. :P