Habs @ Washington: GAME 2

bar

There is a lot of sour grapes going on.

The nonsense going on over at EOTP is absurd.

The Habs had a 5-4 lead with 90 seconds to go and could have won in OT.

They won on Thursday when Gionta should have been rewarded a penalty shot, but nobody

is talking about that and nobody would be talking about any of this if Halak comes up big on the

Carlsson shot.

I am not reacting with anger because I have seen this story play out OVER AND OVER again.

The Habs almost blew their playoff berth when they couldn't hold a lead against the Isles. Tonight

is the 3rd time this season against Washington in which they gave up a lead in the closing minutes.

This team is a big underdog, don't let Game 1 fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not Darche, then who? As for D, put in O'Byrne by all means. But is he going to morph into an elite shut-down guy all of a sudden, or make the difference in the 8 minutes he'll be out there?

Just to change the subject slightly, one thing is clear. As of right now, the Capitals are not serious Cup material. No team wins the big one with that kind of dubious goaltending and near-crappy defensive game. That's a team that still has not learned the lesson that talent and offence alone won't take you the distance.

Now, the Habs may be teaching them that lesson. We'll see. More likely, they'll need to get schooled somwhere further down the line. But I cannot recall any team winning the Cup of which it was said that their only 'system' was opening the bench door.

In fact, I think people are confusing this fact - the Caps do not look Cup-worthy - with the proposition that ye Habs can win this series. Flawed as they are, barring some miracle (e.g., otherworldly goaltending) we're not the team to stop them. But if they keep on like this, somebody will.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

If not Darche, then who? As for D, put in O'Byrne by all means. But is he going to morph into an elite shut-down guy all of a sudden, or make the difference in the 8 minutes he'll be out there?

Just to change the subject slightly, one thing is clear. As of right now, the Capitals are not serious Cup material. No team wins the big one with that kind of dubious goaltending and near-crappy defensive game. That's a team that still has not learned the lesson that talent and offence alone won't take you the distance

Now, the Habs may be teaching them that lesson. We'll see. More likely, they'll need to get schooled somwhere further down the line. But I cannot recall any team winning the Cup of which it was said that their only 'system' was opening the bench door.

In fact, I think people are confusing this fact - the Caps do not look Cup-worthy - with the proposition that ye Habs can win this series. Flawed as they are, barring some miracle (e.g., otherworldly goaltending) we're not the team to stop them. But if they keep on like this, somebody will.

You don't learn how to play defense during the Stanley Cup playoffs. They will not win the Cup with their defensive

commitment. If they had Cam Ward, then they might be able to get away with their reckless play.

That team needs Ovechkin to clue in and show some defensive intensity, or give him a center (like Lemaire with Lafleur)

to compensate for his defensive malaise. Over and over we continue to see replays of their forwards gliding back into the

zone as the Habs score.

Oh Mo. Mo, Mo, Mo. Why did you abandon us, in this our hour of need? Did we wrong you, fickle friend, in some grievous fashion? Did we not love you enough?

the Habs still have to feel good about themselves

They won game 1, lost a game they should have won; the Caps barely escaped a 0-2 hole

Washington is not leaving Montreal in 1 piece; if the Verizon Center can influence the refs, imagine what Habs fan can do

I agree with the glass half full analogy as well.

As frustrating and disheartening it is to lose a game after you're leading 4-1 the fact of the matter is that you've stared the beast right in the eyes.

I really feel like our team has matched up very well. No comparison to the Bruins series last year which was the sorriest display of competitive hockey coming out of Montreal. The energy is there, the goals are there; all it's gonna take is to sustain the energy the showed in games 1&2.

These guys are winners. End of story.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I would start Halak in Game 3. If he loses the game or lets in a couple of soft ones like tonight though u have to go with Price ASAP.

Until we (as a team either coaching or the players take it upon themselves) STOP sitting back with a lead we're screwed.....when we get up we go into a prevent defence. Every other team know's this, and then they start to pick away at us......

I'm not saying play a wide open game with stretch passes and take chances; but we NEED to get a decent forecheck and pressure on the Caps to keep them from getting back in a game. The days of lining 5 guys along the blueline are gone (or SHOULD BE) every team know we do it and they make adjustments....we don't we play hte same up 2-3 or down one late.

Ya we're coming home 1-1 but it SHOULD be 2-0

JM didn't noticed Darche turnaround he just threw him on the PP a couple minutes after.

Asking for a time out with a lead is good for your players with less energy.

Halak really choked it he is a mystery no more for them.

You would think that after he's been scored from a distance by staying deep in his crease, Halak would not make the same mistake again...

You would think that after he's been scored from a distance by staying deep in his crease, Halak would not make the same mistake again...

Maybe he would have came out to challenge the shooter if his defense weren't backing in on him ^_^

I still think the Habs are going to win the series, they have to feel good about it. They went into Washington, without the last change, and nearly won 2 games.

Now in Montreal, our fans, our change, our ice... I like our chances.

We gotta win game 3...

I still think the Habs are going to win the series, they have to feel good about it. They went into Washington, without the last change, and nearly won 2 games.

Now in Montreal, our fans, our change, our ice... I like our chances.

We gotta win game 3...

What are the chances Martin stops being stubborn and lets Price go in net? Faults I find with Martin, he is stubborn, does not react well to what is happening on the ice and once he has a dislike for a player he does not let go.

I dont see where you're coming from. We have the home advantage in a best of 5. The ball is in our court.

They showed great resolve regaining the lead after blowing a 3 goal lead. But losing the lead once again and then losing in overtime is just too much for them to overcome. The confidence and momentum they had built up is gone. Despite the fact that home ice should be very important in hockey (last line changes, closer bench in the 1st and 3rd), it is almost meaningless in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I mean, home teams have a losing record thus far.

in the 1st and 3rd period, the montreal bench will be closer to the caps' net.

where as on the road, the bench is only closer in the 2nd period.

Yup, makes for easier changes when heading back to your own zone.

Edited by Fanpuck33