Washington @ Habs: GAME 3

bar

I wonder how the Habs will come out in the 3rd. Either flat as Hell and just wishing for the 20 mins to be done and over with; or foaming at the mouth and completely berserk. I wish it was the latter...

He actually only played 1 series since then as he couldn't get the Panthers into the playoffs from 2006-08.

He is a relic, probably one of the oldest coaches in the NHL. His first season was 1987-88.

4th after Quinn, Lemaire and Wilson.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the Habs will come out in the 3rd. Either flat as Hell and just wishing for the 20 mins to be done and over with; or foaming at the mouth and completely berserk. I wish it was the latter...

4th after Quinn, Lemaire and Wilson.

Wilson coached before 1987?

I'm trying but it's difficult trying to contain the spontaneous combustion.

I'm disappointed too, but they came out very, very strong with one of the best flurries of offence I've seen from any team

le goal. :P

Classic

from Habsinsideout

So on the scoreboard, they poll the players on which Quebec delicacy they prefer: poutine, smoked meat or Jos Louis (a sweet roll)

Price: "Poutine. You can't beat it at 2 o'clock in the morning."

I'm not a fan of Martin, but at a certain point you have to also realize the limits of the horses he has to run with. The Habs were small before and got even smaller this year. When only Pouliot can hit with authority, you know your roster is grossly lacking size and grit.

You gotta coach the team based on the horses you have been given. When Gainey brought in the smurfs (gio/gomez/cammy), i was vocal on how much i hated the signings because they took a small team and did what seemed impossible - made them smaller. The answer to add size is not to go out and add size at the bottom of your lineup (Moen-overated, Gill-big but can't hit), you need ot have size in your top six. We have a skinny Pouliot who is hitting and Ak46 who sometimes gets inspired to be physical and drive hard to the net, but for the most part he is a perimeter player.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cammy and Gionta, but you can't hope to compete with your 4 best players (gionta, Cammy, Gomez, Pleks) being small. Love the heart of Pleks and Gionta, but you need to surround that heart with some brawn.

Anyway, the horses you got are the horses you gotta run with. Instead of using the strength of the guys he has (speed to kill), Martin has them hanging back playing a trap game. They take a lead and instead of putting the pedal to the medal they sit back.

Their D is also small - you can't have Gorges (again big heart/little man), MAB (Big shot, no brain or brawn. The one physical dman they have - Obyrne has been riding the pine after every mistake - despite guys like Hamrlik, spacek, Gill coughing up the puck all year. I would take out Lapierre in favor of O'Byrne bcoz he is the only dman with the size to hit the big cap forwards and clear the front of the net. Where is he - on the in the pressbox!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Well at least it's not a shutout.

Time to make statements for the next games. Good hard play and take the body every chance possible.

Damn, wrote such a long post - missed Gomez's misconduct - what the heck did he get a misconduct for??? Gomez is another guy who just seems like a dummy. Takes a dumb fighting major last game now a misconduct???

You gotta coach the team based on the horses you have been given. When Gainey brought in the smurfs (gio/gomez/cammy), i was vocal on how much i hated the signings because they took a small team and did what seemed impossible - made them smaller. The answer to add size is not to go out and add size at the bottom of your lineup (Moen-overated, Gill-big but can't hit), you need ot have size in your top six. We have a skinny Pouliot who is hitting and Ak46 who sometimes gets inspired to be physical and drive hard to the net, but for the most part he is a perimeter player.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cammy and Gionta, but you can't hope to compete with your 4 best players (gionta, Cammy, Gomez, Pleks) being small. Love the heart of Pleks and Gionta, but you need to surround that heart with some brawn.

Anyway, the horses you got are the horses you gotta run with. Instead of using the strength of the guys he has (speed to kill), Martin has them hanging back playing a trap game. They take a lead and instead of putting the pedal to the medal they sit back.

Their D is also small - you can't have Gorges (again big heart/little man), MAB (Big shot, no brain or brawn. The one physical dman they have - Obyrne has been riding the pine after every mistake - despite guys like Hamrlik, spacek, Gill coughing up the puck all year. I would take out Lapierre in favor of O'Byrne bcoz he is the only dman with the size to hit the big cap forwards and clear the front of the net. Where is he - on the bench!

I have to believe that all of the coaches and uncle Bob and Gauthier all have some input into these decisions, and while I'm no whizzbang at coaching decisions, I imagine there's a reason or two for this. I personally have thought our D has been excellent for the most part. OV, 0 shots game 1. How many tonight?

You may be right, but I don't think such decisions are being taken frivolously as they would be if I were making them.

I can't watch this anymore, I'm just too tired of the disappointment. I knew the series was lost after Game Two, and so it is. But let me say this:

1. I find all the attacks on Martin absurd. Just more of the famous Montreal fan scapegoating. He's had his team primed and ready to go for three straight games. We went to OT twice and had a decided edge in the first period tonight against a team that is MUCH bigger and has MUCH more raw talent. What the hell more do you want? As far as I'm concerned, Martin has made a case for himself as a good playoff coach so far this series, not the reverse. (I agree that OB should dress, but really, the idea that this is soooo *obvious* that JM is an idiot for not doing it both overstates OB's ability to compete in a game of this speed, AND ignores the fact that most coaches with this lineup would dress the same lineup JM has, erring on the side of veteran talent).

2. The fundamental problem of our team is that we are too small. If the NHL made sense and its games were called in the playoffs in the same way they're called during the season, that wouldn't be a big deal. But it is clear that we need at least one Knuble/Corson-type guy up front and one mean-assed mofo on the blueline. We need to be able to respond when they smashmouth our G, both at our end, and at the other.

3. The D needs an upgrade. I thought maybe the veterans would be able to step up, but Hammer, as others have said, is past his expiry date, at least for a series like this. I don't think we need a total overhaul - a PK Subban, if he can adjust to the NHL game, would make a huge difference. (Not saying he should be playing right now; just saying that we need a guy like that. In fact, having such a guy would take the load off Hammer and allow us to ease him into the #D-man slot where he now belongs). Next season, bring up PK and turn him loose.

The good thing about a series like this is that it gives you a clear bead on where you are as a team. We are better than anybody thought we were. But unless we address weakness (2) in particular, next season will bring the same results.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

COME ON POULIOT DRIVE THE F***ING NET INSTEAD OF TWIRLING AROUND!

And put a little mustard on it! :lol:

You're right though, we need to rush towards the net. Enough of the stupid "elite" plays that end up without even a shot on net.

finally a friggin goalie interference penalty against the caps

I think he was trying for sex there.

lol.. thanks for nothing refs.. now you call them for goalie interference... ROFL...

I am so torn..pissed at the refs for the BS, but even more pissed that our team is not getting dirty in front of the net. The reason Washington is so good is because all those highly skilled players are willing to get dirty and drive the net. Knuble is a perfect guy for the shooter.. where is our guy for Gomez, Cammy, Pleks, etc...

ROFL.. so much for that PP... what a brutally soft call... Pollock is a Leaf loving Prick...

I can't watch this anymore, I'm just too tired of the disappointment. I knew the series was lost after Game Two, and so it is. But let me say this:

1. I find all the attacks on Martin absurd. Just more of the famous Montreal fan scapegoating. He's had his team primed and ready to go for three straight games. We went to OT twice and had a decided edge in the first period tonight against a team that is MUCH bigger and has MUCH more raw talent. What the hell more do you want? As far as I'm concerned, Martin has made a case for himself as a good playoff coach so far this series, not the reverse. (I agree that OB should dress, but really, the idea that this is soooo *obvious* that JM is an idiot for not doing it both overstates OB's ability to compete in a game of this speed, AND ignores the fact that most coaches with this lineup would dress the same lineup JM has, erring on the side of veteran talent).

You gotta be kidding me????

Game 1 strategy - don't show up for the first period - have your goalie stand on his head and win it in overtime is a strategy???

Game 2 strategy - take a 4-1 lead do nothing when the tide was turning or complain at the miscalls and watch your team blow the lead. Take the lead with 3 min left and then blow the lead again with under 2min and then lose 6-5 in OT. That's your case for keeping him???

All of the young players have regressed under him and you want to hand Subban to him next year???

As far as Obyrne being too slow- Hamrlik looks like he's not only slow but in his old age seems to have forgotten ho play defence.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

lol.. thanks for nothing refs.. now you call them for goalie interference... ROFL...

I am so torn..pissed at the refs for the BS, but even more pissed that our team is not getting dirty in front of the net. The reason Washington is so good is because all those highly skilled players are willing to get dirty and drive the net. Knuble is a perfect guy for the shooter.. where is our guy for Gomez, Cammy, Pleks, etc...

ROFL.. so much for that PP... what a brutally soft call... Pollock is a Leaf loving Prick...

Yup, we definitely need that smashmouth, big forward who can pull down top-6 minutes at least some of the time.

I wonder if we can move Hammer, bring up PK, and try to swing a deal for that kind of guy? Or maybe Pacioretty can become him. I dunno, at this point I'm too demoralized to think straight.

Perhaps if we had a captain, we'd have some desperately needed on-ice leadership, so we wouldn't give up after getting one goal scored against us and into taking unsportsmanlike penalties. Just a thought.

There are 3 players you need to hit several times per shift.

Mike Green

Joe Corvo

John Carlson

The 3 of them barely received one good hit each tonight.

There are 3 players you need to hit several times per shift.

Mike Green

Joe Corvo

John Carlson

The 3 of them barely received one good hit each tonight.

not only that, Laps actually BACKED off when he had the chance - don't know what he is doing in the lineup!

Is Mara still hurt? Because I'd much rather see him than Hamrlik right now.

Dunno. GOod question. I don't have a clue about what happens with him. I even tend to forget that he's part of this team.

Dunno. GOod question. I don't have a clue about what happens with him. I even tend to forget that he's part of this team.

He was done for the year.

You gotta be kidding me????

Game 1 strategy - don't show up for the first period - have your goalie stand on his head and win it in overtime is a strategy???

Game 2 strategy - take a 4-1 lead do nothing when the tide was turning or complain at the miscalls and watch your team blow the lead. Take the lead with 3 min left and then blow the lead again with under 2min and then lose 6-5 in OT. That's your case for keeping him???

All of the young players have regressed under him and you want to hand Subban to him next year???

As far as Obyrne being too slow- Hamrlik looks like he's not only slow but in his old age seems to have forgotten ho play defence.

Yeah, yeah, JM is an evil idiot.

Your analysis is forgetting one little detail, which is that the Habs are not as powerful a team as the Caps. Game 1, for instance, was *always* going to be circus in the first period. And it's HIS fault that the Habs blew a 2-goal lead, right - which is a common occurence in the NHL. Because if only Carbo were coaching, they'd have kept motoring along, even though EVERY TEAM tries to protect leads, no matter what the coach tells them, especially when they know they're overmatched. I mean, come on.

ALL coaches go with veterans in the crunch, unless the young guys have clearly established themselves. OB was not even a roster constant in the regular season. I find it hardly surprising that JM went with proven veterans.

You're blaming the coach for the fact that his team is overmatched. That's lame.

(Young players regressed, I dunno, who are these great young players? Pouliot has flourished, Pyatt has flourished, Lapierre has regressed - just like he did two years ago under another coach - S. Kostitsyn has flatlined...I just don't see much evidence either way. YOU'RE the one who wants Lapierre benched; and if OB were dressed, you'd probably be balming Martin for dressing him the minute OB got undressed by a Caps' rush).

And oh yeah, he doesn't yell at the refs enough. What a great reason for firing a coach! Because, you know, harranguing the refs worked SO well for Carbo.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber