What lineup would you ice for Game 4?

lazy26

Reading through the Game 3 GDT, it seems that no one is happy with the lineup that Martin chose to use. Although I respect that decisions that JM has made so far, vis-a-vis the playing roster, I think a change is needed, as Washington seems to have figured our lineup out. I would go with the following for Game 4:

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Cammalleri - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn

Moen - Moore - S. Kostitsyn

Pyatt - Metropolit - Lapierre

Markov - O'Byrne

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Price

I in no way feel that Halak is solely responsible for the Habs' losses, but I feel that the most can be gained with Carey in net in Game 4. As so many other have stated before me, if Price stinks it up, Halak has another chance to redeem himself in Washington. Bergeron's cannon from the point will be missed, but that is a marginal reason for keeping a marginal player in the lineup. I think Sergei adds a whole new dimension to the 3rd line, and I think a 4th line should be true grinders (i.e., not Bergeron). O'Byrne gives Markov more freedom to do what he does best, and at the same time, will hurt some Caps.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Bergeron - Moore - S. Kostitsyn

Moen - Metropolit - Lapierre

Markov - O'Byrne

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Price

Get the third line to be a bit quicker, and the 4th line as an agitator line. Let the kids watch from the box, see what they are in for.

Tough call. I'll step out of the box for a moment.

Blake - Beliveau - Rocket

Shutt - Lemaire - Lafleur

Moore - Pocket Rocket - Cornoyer

Gainey - Carbonneau - Nilan

Lach, Morenz as extras

Robinson - Savard

Lapointe - Harvey

Chelios - Markov

Bouchard as extra

Dryden

Roy

Worsley as extra.

The usual parade route work for everyone?

Lach, Morenz as extras

Robinson - Savard

Lapointe - Harvey

Chelios - Markov

Bouchard as extra

Dryden

Roy

Worsley as extra.

I'm surprised that Dominic made your list :lol:

Cammalleri - Gomez - Gionta

S. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Lapierre

Pouliot - Metropolit - A. Kostitsyn

Moen - Moore - Darche

Markov - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Hamrlik - Bergeron

Price.

There's no solutions on defense because we have nobody who's a reliable physical presence or a reliable puck-mover. Better luck next year.

The only solution is to try to mix up the forwards to get some spark and offense. I said a 1000 times that Sergei K and Laps were made to play together, going back to Hamilton. Guess JM's thinking is too rigid to try those kind of things... Putting Plex with them and moving both Pou and Akost to another line would spread some scoring. And the 4th line of 32-42-52 should plug holes in the lines rotation.

Call up PK Subban and let him run wild.

The Habs are an extreme long shot, why not bring up PK ala Carlson and have some fun.

Then send him back to Hamilton.

The Habs are an extreme long shot, why not bring up PK ala Carlson and have some fun.

I agree. Chances are good that he'd be back in Hamilton in time for game 7 if their series lasts that long anyway.

I agree

Why not ? He could drive them crazy, but most importantly, he would match their energy

S. Kost in (even though our PK is already perfect, he could save Pleky a shift or 2 on the PK. he is always a threat offensively even though it rarely works)

Metro out (if he was healthy he wouldn't have played 5 min)

O'Byrne in (Bergeron can't skate backwards and turn left. Markov is LITTERALY losing his mind trying to clear the front of the net by himself. Bring O'byrne to do the job so Markov can concentrate on counter-attacks.

Darche out (JM has to play the first 2 lines 20 min so the 4th line is useless. better have Bergeron on the 4th line and an option on the PP)

(Move Bergeron on the 4th line and keep him on the 1st PP unit. I don't want to see Hammer or Spacek there!!!!!)

Price in (Price is best bet for game 4. He has proved he is the seed of a winner and can elevate his game in a must win situation)

Halak out (Halak is best bet for game 5. If Caps lead 3-1, Habs will be considered dead and Halak will play without any burden and might get the win to put us back in the series)

KEY FOR Game 4:

- no more blinded passes! Unless you're a Sedin, look before making a pass!

- better positioning on the ice! Caps were always inside the play between the puck and the Habs players.

You know what, I have not been one of those calling for a lineup change, but I still have a lineup that I've been thinking about. I'm sorry to those who like him, and I don't usually bash our own players, but Pouliot doesn't seem to be ripe for the top two lines at this point in time. He was great for awhile, but he's been slumping for quite a stretch now.

S. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn

Moen - Metropolit - Moore

Pouliot - Lapierre - Pyatt/Bergeron

Markov - O'Byrne

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Halak

Tough choice for the goalie, but if you're the coach a decision has to be made.

Edited by xXx..CK..xXx

Lach, Morenz as extras

Robinson - Savard

Lapointe - Harvey

Chelios - Markov

Bouchard as extra

Dryden

Roy

Worsley as extra.

Damn, I'm LOVING that fourth line :lol: They could interfere with any goalie they please

Pouliot - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn

Pyatt - Metropolit - Lapierre

Markov - Subban/O'Byrne

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Price

I'd call up Subban - but I don't think we'll see that happen unless Habs go down 3-1. Even then, that'd be like saying, "You're our last hope. Save us!" and I don't think that would be fair to throw him into the fire. He'll be there next season...

Yeah, the Subban idea has its appeal, but why risk his confidence by sending him out in a high-stakes game against the deadliest attack in the entire NHL? Developmentally, I prefer easing them in over shock therapy.

Yeah, the Subban idea has its appeal, but why risk his confidence by sending him out in a high-stakes game against the deadliest attack in the entire NHL? Developmentally, I prefer easing them in over shock therapy.

Do you think his confidence would be ruined from one game?

Given what I've seen from Montreal's D this season, I'll take a low confidence Subban over most of the others any day of the week.

I find the Subban idea a tad ridiculous, to be honest. First off, it reeks of the Messianic Syndrome Habs fans too often have for good young kids coming up in the system (see: Pacioretty, Latendresse, Price, etc.). All odds are Subban would feel so damn forced to save the team that he'd suffocate on his own breath.

I'm not even mentioning the impracticality of the move itself and it's repercussion on the team. Scratching a veteran for a kid, etc. It's not like you're in the end of the season, on your way to missing the playoffs and are preparing the future. You're in the playoffs, trying to win them. If you use Subban with the justification that he makes you better, you have to explain why you didnt used him before, if he's the missing piece, etc.

Gotta be realistic here.

Do you think his confidence would be ruined from one game?

Put it this way. I'd rather look forward to seeing Subban next year than risk having him spectacularly exposed in the a high-powered playoff series like this. KoZed's reasons are cogent here, too.

For my money, our only ace in the hole is now Price. If he can somehow turn in one of those mythic Habs-goalies performances of yesteryear, then we can win Game Four and take it from there. (The trouble with Price is that he's been pegged all along to live up to this myth of the Saviour Habs Goalie; but in the past, with Dryden and Roy, let alone Theodore, Steve Penny, etc., nobody saw it coming. Somehow, that seems to make a difference - it's like you can't will or manufacture it, it just has to kinda happen).

Doesn't matter where guys play IMO, it's our gameplan/system that's broken (the problem) not enough pressure/forechecking on their D not enough speed and not enough physical play.

Enough with the (womens hockey) of stick checking get in there and play the man. We exposed their D of a few occasions........just not enough and not alot of sustained pressure ie a good chance/shot and no 2nd scoring chance.

Price

Marky/OB

Hammer/Spacek

Gill/Gorges

Pouilot/Gomez/Gionta

Cammy/Pleks/AKosty

SKosty/Moore/Laps

Moen/Pyatt/Bergeron

Flip Laps and Moen if using 4 lines, otherwise use Moen and Pyatt for PK and spot Moen in on the 3rd line and even with Gomez and Gionta once in a while.

Basically use 3 lines.

Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta

Pyatt - Lapierre - (empty spot)

Markov - O'Byrne

Subban - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Bergeron (PP only)

Price

I'd play 7 dmen - but MAB does not see anytime outside of the PP. The fourth line gets alternating double shifts from Cammalleri, Pleks, Gionta, Gomez and Sk74.

Subban should get a shot. If the habs get knocked out, let him continue on with Hamilton.

Hamrlik sits - he has been brutal since the olympic break with the exception of a few games. He sucks on the PP and 5-5, they should have tried dumping his salary at the deadline and need to dump him this summer - may as well start now. If we don't dump him this summer, i don't see how we sign Pleks - and we NEED to sign pleks!

Again, MAB only belongs on the PP only and if he isn't shooting he doesn't see anymore PP time and sits the next game.

I'd leave Laps in instead of Metro - not because Laps deserves it, but given the alternatives and Metro clearly not ready to return - Laps probably has the most POTENTIAL to contribute. ideally, I wish we had brought up White near the end of the season, rather then maxwell, as I thought he brought more energy and willingness to hit then Pyatt or Darche in the games he played. However, the instructions to Laps should be clear - keep your mouth shut and play the game by using his speed driving hard to the net, hitting everything that moves and make it clear that if he lets up again, like he did when he had a chance to cleanly cream Green he is finished in Montreal!

Edited by hab29RETIRED