GDT: Game 6, Montreal vs Washington

dlbalr

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is no doubt the best game of his career.

Now all the pressure is on the Caps, see if they squeeze the sticks.

A piece of antology for sure.

They had a little stats board on RDS. The Habs' top 4 most-saves performances in playoffs. Roy in 94 was #1 with 60 (wasnt that the game he came back after his appendectomy?), then Theodore in 97 was 2nd (I think that's the game vs NJ when he came in relief of T-Bo, lost I think) and Dryden was 3rd and 4th with two 49 saves performances in 71.

Halak just got 53 saves on 54 shots.

Definitely one of the best goalies' performances I've seen by a Habs goalie in a clutch situation. Though nothing will ever come close to Roy, 1986, Game 3 in MSG in Conference Finals.

That was probably the best one game playoff goaltending performance for the Habs since

Theo in 2002. Game 5 against the Bruins in Boston.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/pobox...e.cgi?O20020115

A piece of antology for sure.

They had a little stats board on RDS. The Habs' top 4 most-saves performances in playoffs. Roy in 94 was #1 with 60 (wasnt that the game he came back after his appendectomy?), then Theodore in 97 was 2nd (I think that's the game vs NJ when he came in relief of T-Bo, lost I think) and Dryden was 3rd and 4th with two 49 saves performances in 71.

Halak just got 53 saves on 54 shots.

Definitely one of the best goalies' performances I've seen by a Habs goalie in a clutch situation. Though nothing will ever come close to Roy, 1986, Game 3 in MSG in Conference Finals.

Nope, that was a legendary game.

Edited by Wamsley01

All. The. Way. Back.

I love the Halak performance...but insane d-zone presence to clear away any rebound...I wish we could go back to start the season with this lineup and see how the habs finish.

They win or lose the next game...and I will be happy with this season, holding the Caps PP back is insane!

Wow. Just wow.

Obviously, Halak was the best player on the ice tonight, and Cammalleri was clutch. But I was most impressed by Laps out there. You could tell he WANTED that game tonight, and diving notwithstanding, that was his best game I've seen. In my opinion, he only deserved the first diving call, and was unfairly persecuted for the second call. I was happy to see the Martin didn't bench him, and instead recognized that he was on for the night.

Question: I know that during the regular season you can face extra discipline for too many diving calls... but does that apply in the playoffs? And what are the disciplinary terms?

I believe this is the first time the Habs have outscored the Caps in the third. 

One was an empty netter. They only managed to score one goal on Varlamov through 40 minutes, while allowing something like 40 shots. That usually isn't good enough.

All. The. Way. Back.

I love the Halak performance...but insane d-zone presence to clear away any rebound...I wish we could go back to start the season with this lineup and see how the habs finish.

They win or lose the next game...and I will be happy with this season, holding the Caps PP back is insane!

Nobody ever mentions Hal Gill. He has been fantastic in these playoffs.

Nobody ever mentions Hal Gill. He has been fantastic in these playoffs.

He and Gorges have been absolutely phenomenal.

That was probably the best one game playoff goaltending performance for the Habs since

Theo in 2002. Game 5 against the Bruins in Boston.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/pobox...e.cgi?O20020115

I was thinking so. I still remember the Habs hanging on for dear life leading only by 1 goal and Theo pulling that insane behind-the-back save on Guerin.

Nope, that was a legendary game.

It's gonna be 25 years next year and I still remember it clearly. Pierre Larouche had said before the game he thought Roy was overhyped because he was playing behind a good D and never faced many shots; and they (the Rangers) would expose him that night. The Rangers peppered him with 44 shots or something... and that sequence in OT where Roy stopped something like 6 or 7 straight point-blank shots... just something out of this world. You're a kid and you play goals and you're megalomaniac: you dream of doing that kind of insane stuff, in playoffs, in OT. Roy did it.

Wow. Just wow.

Obviously, Halak was the best player on the ice tonight, and Cammalleri was clutch. But I was most impressed by Laps out there. You could tell he WANTED that game tonight, and diving notwithstanding, that was his best game I've seen. In my opinion, he only deserved the first diving call, and was unfairly persecuted for the second call. I was happy to see the Martin didn't bench him, and instead recognized that he was on for the night.

That's why I always defended Laps. You absolutely need a couple of those extra-emotional players in the playoffs. Guys who get carried away by adrenaline and find some sort of extra gear the higher the stakes are. Gotta live with the mistakes and craziness.

I loved Laps tonight..that was a brutal call on his second dive...and Gionta..I mean I don't like to think the refs are bias...but...to call a dive on Laps is one thing, but Gionta..when the guy can opened him?

I was thinking so. I still remember the Habs hanging on for dear life leading only by 1 goal and Theo pulling that insane behind-the-back save on Guerin.

It's gonna be 25 years next year and I still remember it clearly. Pierre Larouche had said before the game he thought Roy was overhyped because he was playing behind a good D and never faced many shots; and they (the Rangers) would expose him that night. The Rangers peppered him with 44 shots or something... and that sequence in OT where Roy stopped something like 6 or 7 straight point-blank shots... just something out of this world. You're a kid and you play goals and you're megalomaniac: you dream of doing that kind of insane stuff, in playoffs, in OT. Roy did it.

That Guerin save was actually the next game where he stood on his head again.

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/pobox...e.cgi?O20020116

The Habs were outshot 79-31 in Game 5 and 6 and outscored the Bruins 4-2.

That Roy game was phenomenal because he was facing a Rangers team that had their backs to the wall and

played that OT like rabid tigers. I think the Habs only shot was the game winner.

I loved Laps tonight..that was a brutal call on his second dive...and Gionta..I mean I don't like to think the refs are bias...but...to call a dive on Laps is one thing, but Gionta..when the guy can opened him?

The thing that is absurd is

1. They ALWAYS call two minors on dives, yet tonight they did it twice as a solo call.

2. I haven't seen a diving call in 2 months, yet the Habs get 3 in 20 minutes?

Nonsense.

He and Gorges have been absolutely phenomenal.

They are spectacular indeed. And what about Markov! He's been great especially in the 1st and 2nd, keeping the pressure in the Caps zone at more than a couple occasions. Habs were able to capitalize on the few occasions they had. Great win! Halak is unbelievable!

Does PK stay up for game 7 or do the Bulldogs need him? I assume an NHL game 7 would trump anything in AHL, but that might not have been the deal. I think he would look great paired with Spacek, not sure where that leaves Hammer though.

Exactly the type of performance you need from a goalie on a mediocre team. And where has that Lapierre been all season long? And his reward for such a strong game? Two bogus dives. I've NEVER seen that many dives called in a game.

But man, what is wrong Markov? O'Byrne seems like the steadier man on that pairing. Andrei is turning into a turnover machine.

Edited by Fanpuck33

That, my friends, was one of the great goaltending performances in Habs' history. If by some miracle they win this series, it will go down in the annals. For you young bloods, I'm happy you got to witness something that I saw with Roy in 1986, 1993, and 1994 (nobody remembers that ridiculous series against Boston) as well as with Theodore in 2002. It's been too long since we had that kind of superstar performance IN THE PLAYOFFS. And damn it feel good!!!

Gill + Gorges = incredible gut-check playoff defenders. Gill, in fact, has been one of the most valuable players for either team and for the entire series. THAT is why Gainey signed him. Doubters: eat crow!

I hope Subban stays in and Spacek stays out, but I have no doubt that Spacek will be ready to go next game. Martin will go with the veteran, not unreasonably, but I think PK gives us a much-needed dimension out there...

Beyond that, Martin will need to make some adjustments (as he has admirably done all series). You can't be dominated like that for two periods and expect to win on most nights.

One more thing. Is it just me, or do the Caps run up the shots totals in a way that doesn't always necessarily reflect the play? I'm not denying that they dominated the last two periods, but I thought we were the better team in the first - yet we were still way outshot. Are they taking an unusual amount of perimeter shots, or something? Just asking.

I agree CC...shots not always an indication of strong play, most shots on Halak were from afar, wide open, no tips, no screen, easy to save shots (this isn't a knock on Halak), the D did a good job letting Halak see the puck.

Haha, we only have three players with a positive +/- in the playoffs: Subban, Gill, and Rhino. Other than Moen and JM's whipping boy Sergei, who are even, everyone else on the team is in the red.

Not saying this is a bad thing, we have been dominant on both PP and PK, so the caps have to rely on 5 on 5 for all their goals.

Edited by JacksonJ

Exactly the type of performance you need from a goalie on a mediocre team. And where has that Lapierre been all season long? And his reward for such a strong game? Two bogus dives. I've NEVER seen that many dives called in a game.

But man, what is wrong Markov? O'Byrne seems like the steadier man on that pairing. Andrei is turning into a turnover machine.

Markov did give a turnover but he was great besides that. Love that he plays 30 min. Great to see O'byrne playing with him, it makes a difference in Markov's ability to pinch in. O'Byrne did took 2 penalities and one of his mistake cost Halak the SHO. Overall a very good performance by all the team.

Glad that A.K. wasn't injured. After being shook off, he returned and made a brilliant play that almost got us a goal.

That, my friends, was one of the great goaltending performances in Habs' history. If by some miracle they win this series, it will go down in the annals. For you young bloods, I'm happy you got to witness something that I saw with Roy in 1986, 1993, and 1994 (nobody remembers that ridiculous series against Boston) as well as with Theodore in 2002. It's been too long since we had that kind of superstar performance IN THE PLAYOFFS. And damn it feel good!!!

I'm too young to really remember Roy so I am glad to hear someone say that it is comparable. I remember Theodore and I think this tops that. I am still stunned.

Bob built a good team. It just never got a chance to play together. Thank god bob was running this team.

Not sure getting how getting blasted 54-22 and owing the victory almost solely to a performance for the ages by a goalie Gainey didnt even wanted to use a testament to Bob's team building abilities, moreover when it's basically the same blueprint used before him by André Savard back when Theodore was stopping everything... but I guess when the team wins everyone's a winner. :lol: