GDT: Game 6, Montreal vs Washington

dlbalr

I agree CC...shots not always an indication of strong play, most shots on Halak were from afar, wide open, no tips, no screen, easy to save shots (this isn't a knock on Halak), the D did a good job letting Halak see the puck.

That's true mostly for the 1st period and the 3rd. But in the 2nd the D broke down a bit and there was too many dangerous shot from the slots or from the circles -in. That glove save on Corvo was the kinda scoring chance you can't allow more than once in a game.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That, my friends, was one of the great goaltending performances in Habs' history. If by some miracle they win this series, it will go down in the annals. For you young bloods, I'm happy you got to witness something that I saw with Roy in 1986, 1993, and 1994 (nobody remembers that ridiculous series against Boston) as well as with Theodore in 2002. It's been too long since we had that kind of superstar performance IN THE PLAYOFFS. And damn it feel good!!!

Gill + Gorges = incredible gut-check playoff defenders. Gill, in fact, has been one of the most valuable players for either team and for the entire series. THAT is why Gainey signed him. Doubters: eat crow!

I hope Subban stays in and Spacek stays out, but I have no doubt that Spacek will be ready to go next game. Martin will go with the veteran, not unreasonably, but I think PK gives us a much-needed dimension out there...

Beyond that, Martin will need to make some adjustments (as he has admirably done all series). You can't be dominated like that for two periods and expect to win on most nights.

One more thing. Is it just me, or do the Caps run up the shots totals in a way that doesn't always necessarily reflect the play? I'm not denying that they dominated the last two periods, but I thought we were the better team in the first - yet we were still way outshot. Are they taking an unusual amount of perimeter shots, or something? Just asking.

I thought that the 18 shots in the 1st period were not that dangerous. I thought he was outstanding in the 2nd period and the 3rd seemed to be a lot of perimeter work as well.

Historically from what I have witnessed, it ranks behind Roy in 86 against the Rangers and in 1994, Theo in 1997 and Theo in 2002.

He needs to follow it up with a monster Game 7 or it is all for naught. It is the reason nobody remembers Roy in 1994, because the Habs got blown out in Game 7. It is the reason nobody remembers Theo's performance in 1997, because they got eliminated in 5 games.

Theo in 2002 was as good as it gets when it comes to a goaltender stealing a series. If Halak can toss up another 40+ save performance in Game 7 then he will be remembered for all-time.

The smartest move for the future is to re-sign both and see if Halak is Roy not Theo.

Edited by Wamsley01

For those who never saw Roy, here's the thing, IMO:

What Halak did tonight was on equal footing with what Roy did in any single game. The thing about Roy, though, is that he did it not only for entire series, but for entire playoff runs. Montreal were anything BUT favourites in 86 and 93. St Patrick lifted the team and took them through on his own. I'm not saying he didn't have 'bad' games, because he did, but he always rebounded and always rose to the top. And I think *that* is the real mark of a superstar. Not that you can put in a spectacular performance or two, but that you can string them together for so long that it elevates everyone and everything associated with you.

IMO, "superstar" is a term that's badly over-used. Gretz was a superstar. Lemieux was a superstar. Other than that, in my experience, I've not seen any other. Even a guy like Lafleur, who was incredible, paled next to guys like Gretz and Lemieux. These are the guys who elevated themselves to the point where the game *literally* revolved around them. Lafleur was a true star, but he was on a team that dominated everything because of overwhelming talent. Would Flower's teams have won Cups without such a supporting cast? Roy, IMO, was a superstar because, especially in his time in Montreal, the team *was* him. And I'm not trying to take away from other great players on his teams, just that they were never going to win a Cup without him. Never. Zero chance. And what truly makes him a superstar is that he did it more than once. No 'one-hit wonder,' but continually playing above the bar.

Crosby and Ovechkin are two that are most likely to hit that mark in this era, but I have my doubts about both. Vech was nigh on invisible for long stretches tonight - and that's when he was on the ice. A direct result of the game plan, for sure, but that's where a Gretz and Lemieux would step up and produce.

Anyhow, heady days to be a Habs fan.

Whats that mean? :(

It means that it was ######ING hot !!! In french, we have a evolution scale for swearing and tabarnac is arguably considerd as the #1 bad word around.

So it means that it wasn't just ######ing hot, it was freaking ######ing hot !

God damn drama queens! Been like this all year. Why couldn't we just have won the 2nd game and been done with this one dimensional flashy Caps team. Will we take all the series to 7 games this year? Probably, team seems to do better when on the ropes...

That, my friends, was one of the great goaltending performances in Habs' history. If by some miracle they win this series, it will go down in the annals. For you young bloods, I'm happy you got to witness something that I saw with Roy in 1986, 1993, and 1994 (nobody remembers that ridiculous series against Boston) as well as with Theodore in 2002. It's been too long since we had that kind of superstar performance IN THE PLAYOFFS. And damn it feel good!!!

Gill + Gorges = incredible gut-check playoff defenders. Gill, in fact, has been one of the most valuable players for either team and for the entire series. THAT is why Gainey signed him. Doubters: eat crow!

I hope Subban stays in and Spacek stays out, but I have no doubt that Spacek will be ready to go next game. Martin will go with the veteran, not unreasonably, but I think PK gives us a much-needed dimension out there...

Beyond that, Martin will need to make some adjustments (as he has admirably done all series). You can't be dominated like that for two periods and expect to win on most nights.

One more thing. Is it just me, or do the Caps run up the shots totals in a way that doesn't always necessarily reflect the play? I'm not denying that they dominated the last two periods, but I thought we were the better team in the first - yet we were still way outshot. Are they taking an unusual amount of perimeter shots, or something? Just asking.

Washington's game plan seems to be to shoot from everywhere. They're definitely running up the shot totals. But when it's Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin and Green taking the shots, they can easily score with an outside shot.

I was interested in hearing from you because after Game 2, you said the chance of psychologically damaging Washington was gone. I think that happened last night - for the Caps and any Eastern team that watched that game. For one thing, Washington was dominating, Montreal was getting dominated and yet everyone still knew who was going to win. It's too bad Washington got that one goal on Halak at the end because it brought him down to Earth.

Plus, did you hear the crowd? The last time I heard a crowd that loud was when we came back from 5-0 against the Rangers. The crowd carried the team last night. Halak is particularly good at riding the home crowd's excitement. Had that game been in Washington, I think we get torn apart. But now - they've been mindf*cked David Lynch style. All the pressure is on the Caps, and the Canadiens believe they're going to win.

As much as it was fun to see Washington hitting their head on the wall and be afraid to lose for

once i am still mad about the way this game has been tried to be levelled by the referees.

It started with Metropolit holding penalty and three diving penalties !! Gionta a diver ?

I don't want to defend Lapierre but the referee just has to no call the plays if they are questionnable

and 100% sure the players dive. In both plays i had a doubt but not sure. In doubt let go. Or the league

has interest on keeping Washington ion the pictures, there i have a doubt too.

Anyway it was a great show for these 21273 fans standing there and almost none leaving before cheering for

three stars. When we talk of the good crowd in Montreal we mean them the good ones, i really like those who were

moving arms up and down for the miraculous Halak.

Good 7 game everyone. One game at the time.

As much as it was fun to see Washington hitting their head on the wall and be afraid to lose for

once i am still mad about the way this game has been tried to be levelled by the referees.

It started with Metropolit holding penalty and three diving penalties !! Gionta a diver ?

I don't want to defend Lapierre but the referee just has to no call the plays if they are questionnable

and 100% sure the players dive. In both plays i had a doubt but not sure. In doubt let go. Or the league

has interest on keeping Washington ion the pictures, there i have a doubt too.

Anyway it was a great show for these 21273 fans standing there and almost none leaving before cheering for

three stars. When we talk of the good crowd in Montreal we mean them the good ones, i really like those who were

moving arms up and down for the miraculous Halak.

Good 7 game everyone. One game at the time.

It usually takes a good month to rack up 3 diving penalties and I would bet the Habs didn't have two

all season in which the calls weren't paired with another minor.

It was extremely fishy.

Washington's game plan seems to be to shoot from everywhere. They're definitely running up the shot totals. But when it's Backstrom, Semin, Ovechkin and Green taking the shots, they can easily score with an outside shot.

I was interested in hearing from you because after Game 2, you said the chance of psychologically damaging Washington was gone. I think that happened last night - for the Caps and any Eastern team that watched that game. For one thing, Washington was dominating, Montreal was getting dominated and yet everyone still knew who was going to win. It's too bad Washington got that one goal on Halak at the end because it brought him down to Earth.

Plus, did you hear the crowd? The last time I heard a crowd that loud was when we came back from 5-0 against the Rangers. The crowd carried the team last night. Halak is particularly good at riding the home crowd's excitement. Had that game been in Washington, I think we get torn apart. But now - they've been mindf*cked David Lynch style. All the pressure is on the Caps, and the Canadiens believe they're going to win.

Corvo had 10 shots!!

It usually takes a good month to rack up 3 diving penalties and I would bet the Habs didn't have two

all season in which the calls weren't paired with another minor.

It was extremely fishy.

Corvo had 10 shots!!

Two of those penalties -- Gionta's and Lapierre's second -- weren't deserved. I think that the referees will have a talk with their superiors. It did not make much sense.

Diving penalties = Bettman's conspiracy against habs and canadian teams.

Anyone else have a better explanation ?

My guess is this.

Lapierre's first dive was pretty obvious, he looked like Wile E Coyote going through a mountain side.

So the referee was pissed off that Lapierre tried to show him up, hence his second penalty based on

ego and payback for an attempt to embarrass.

The Gionta call was nonsense, but a typical even up penalty.

Pure speculation and zero basis in fact.

Does PK stay up for game 7 or do the Bulldogs need him? I assume an NHL game 7 would trump anything in AHL, but that might not have been the deal. I think he would look great paired with Spacek, not sure where that leaves Hammer though.

The Bulldogs won their 1st round series on Sunday night and are off until Thursday. (We find out tonight who they play...)

Who's to say that Bergeron doesn't come out of the lineup if Spacek returns? MAB played just 1 non-PP shift last night, Subban saw roughly double the ice time he did. If Spacek is good to go, I think they could easily make Subban the 7th D who sees about 6-8 minutes, half on the PP and half spelling a not 100% Spacek.

I don't buy the first penalty being obvious. At least once I game you see a guy embellish a hit into the boards, lay on the ice looking for a penalty, then get up. I remember Ruutu in one of the Pens/Sens game doing exactly the same thing, except even adding a little bit of "Ribeiro" to the act, and nothing.

For the BACK ref to call it, the one at center ice, and NOT the one standing right there when it happened, seems a little odd to me. I know people tend to not like Laps' antics, but seriously, how many other times have you seen a hit into the boards result in a diving call?

I don't buy the first penalty being obvious. At least once I game you see a guy embellish a hit into the boards, lay on the ice looking for a penalty, then get up. I remember Ruutu in one of the Pens/Sens game doing exactly the same thing, except even adding a little bit of "Ribeiro" to the act, and nothing.

For the BACK ref to call it, the one at center ice, and NOT the one standing right there when it happened, seems a little odd to me. I know people tend to not like Laps' antics, but seriously, how many other times have you seen a hit into the boards result in a diving call?

Bingo. None. It was a premiere for me. Who the ###### the ref thinks he is to judge how a player just got nailed into the board ?

Bobby Mac said there were only THREE diving calls in the ENTIRE NHL that were stand alones. Lapierre's first was definitely deserving of that, but on the second one I honestly think he's focused on chasing the puck and loses an edge. I think that dive gets overturned if the Habs appeal on his behalf to save him a fine.

O'Rourke went on some holier than thou mission with regards to diving once he saw Lapierre's first disgusting one. Even my Leafs-loving Lapierre-hating roommate agreed the second one wasn't a dive, and Gionta's wasn't one either. And that was after a huge rant from Lapierre's first one. :lol:

What a game by Jaro, though. That second period was insane.

I agree with Wamsley's take on the first. Actually, I thought it was a Capitals strategy early on to fire pucks from weird angles at Halak's feet, like teams do to Brodeur to get him off his game. It didn't work at all, Halak has no issues with his lateral movement or playing the angle. Once he flashed his glove on Corvo for that big save in the 2nd, I knew the game was in the bag and he was putting on a special performance.

Guys, the first Lapierre one was a hit to his shoulder that he literally turned into the boards to make it look like he was boarded. Lapierre was facing sideways, then somehow after the hit, turned to face the boards and act like he was hit on the back in a dangerous spot.

It wasn't obvious (McGuire at ice level first thought it was a reputation call, and then he saw the replay and changed his mind), but it was the right call. It was a gutsy call, but the right one. Lapierre completely embellished a clean hit to make it look like a penalty.

Sometimes guys kick their feet out when they are pushed along the boards to make it look like a boarding call rather than an attempt to move the guy off the puck he's trapping. But Lapierre wasn't in any situation like that, he was turned the other way!

We get mad at officials for getting tough decisions wrong. This was a tough decision the back official got right. Although it definitely gave him a bad taste for the Habs from then on in, as the other two dives he called really weren't much of anything.

Lapierre's first dive was pretty obvious, he looked like Wile E Coyote going through a mountain side.

So the referee was pissed off that Lapierre tried to show him up, hence his second penalty based on

I was at the Bell Centre last night, and I completely agree with you. Lapierre's first diving call was obvious. The second one was a little iffy, but with Lapierre's lousy reputation across the league, the ref made the call.

The gionta call was just a load of Bull-shit!

Even though Lapierre took those two diving penalties, I still think the kid played a great game. He was all over the place and even scored a beautiful goal.

Gorges and Gill are monsters on the PK. Great to see them play together!

Cammalleri is back. 10 points in 6 games. He's the man!

and what can I say about Halak that hasn't already been said?! As a kid, I remember Roy's performance against the Rangers in 86 as well as the 93 playoffs and that crazy game agains the Bruins in 94. This game was almost as impressive as that 86 game against the Rangers. I seriously think that Halak might be in the Caps players heads. They are missing the net on many shots cause they are trying to pick the corners. That means that they know that an ordinary shot won't beat Halak.

Our boys need to take the lead in gme 7 and get the washington crowd out of the game early!

Looking at the shot chart from yesterday's game, I noticed an interesting trend - all 3 goals (excluding the ENG) were to the right of the right faceoff dot. They're the only 3 goals from the series in that area, wonder if the Habs may have stumbled on something here?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sport...als/shot-chart/ (Defaults to Game 6 results, but can be filtered for any game and any player.)

I agree

Looking back (because i was seriously pissed yesterday and was convinced it was conspiracy)I don`t think the refs got a call from Bettman during the game.

The 1st diving call was legit, and the refs became biased from that point on.

The 2nd call was good too

The 3rd one was bogus

Maybe it's time for Laps to wipe that goofy looking grin off his face too............especially after a "dive" or when he gets an opposing player to draw a penalty.. :lol:

Halak BETTER be ready for all teh rubber/traffic he's going to get tomorrow........if he's not on the top of his game we're screwed; unless (by chance) the guys in front of him STEP up as a unit and play a full 60 minutes....and NOT COAST and hope to hold on to a lead

Edited by kenadian

They do seem to play a better on the road with witrh the style of hockey they play.

The chances the habs give up 50 shots 2 games in a row and winning i think are slim to none. They have proved me wrong a few games and hopefully they'll do it again.

They may as well bench O'Byrne, he is useless out there. Oh i forgot he did have 1 good hit. Start Subban and another forward and see what happens.

It's very obvious to me who can stay next year and who needs to be moved for some added toughness and size. Soem of these guys have been totally invisible.