GDT: Game 7, Montreal vs Washington

dlbalr

Agreed. In the last 3 games, AK46 continually coughed up the puck and didn't provide much offensively. He looks like he doesn't care. With the exception of the 2nd game where he scored a hat trick, I don't think AK46 played well at all!

I think it's safe to say that he and his brother will not be back next year. We need the money to resign Halak, PLex and Price!

He did his job okay. Followed the puck around the boards in the offensive zone and cycled it around. His line generated a couple of scoring chances per period. That was all we were ever going to get once we started all-out trapping.

If we trade the brothers, who replaces them? We don't have the depth to give away one of our top 6 forwards just to maintain the team we have now. If we bring in a new 25 goal scorer to replace him, he'll probably cost about the same as AK so I don't see how trading Kostitsyn really saves us much cap space.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do a 2 for 1 like Phoenix did. They got Wolski for 2 young players. There will be a team out there that will make a move like that. The habs can get a top 6 guy for 4 mill or so, which is a little less then both Kosty bros.

Yea, i wouldn't have believed you can give up 40+ shots a night and win in the playoffs but i'm happy to be wrong.

They'll need to pick up the pace offensively in the next round for sure i think.

The new core and obviously Halak deserve alot of credit for playign some pretty good hockey at times during the Caps series. Gill and Gorges were incredible.

Has anoyone seen AK46? Can someone tell him the season is still going. At this point point i would rather see Darche on that line.

I agree with your second sentence, and I'm worried about the Penguins not just because Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin, but because Marc-Andre Fleury is a Quebecois goalie playing the Habs. You know what that means. :puke:

As for your first sentence, I still think the shot totals are not wholly indicative of the play. I re-watched Game 7 on CanadiensExpress last night (one of the advantages of living on the Wet Coast is that I can do that without being red-eyed the next day) and other than the first period - and you always expect the home team to carry the play at the start under those circumstances - that was a basically even game. The Habs hit at least two goal posts, and a lot of the Caps shots were indeed harmless shots from the perimeter. This has been true of much of the series. The Caps *did* dominate a period here and there, and obviously dominated Game Six, but the Habs had an edge in play in several other periods and games, and overall play was MUCH more evenly matched than the 'Halak Steals Series' narrative would have you believe.

I've felt all along that the regular-season totals were not a full indication of what this team is capable of doing. In that sense, the whole "8th seed pulls off miraculous upset" narrative is a bit of an exaggeration. (Not that is wasn't a major upset; but my point is that that's not exactly garbage we're icing out there, contrary to media reports).

I agree with your second sentence, and I'm worried about the Penguins not just because Crosby is a better player than Ovechkin, but because Marc-Andre Fleury is a Quebecois goalie playing the Habs. You know what that means. :puke:

As for your first sentence, I still think the shot totals are not wholly indicative of the play. I re-watched Game 7 on CanadiensExpress last night (one of the advantages of living on the Wet Coast is that I can do that without being red-eyed the next day) and other than the first period - and you always expect the home team to carry the play at the start under those circumstances - that was a basically even game. The Habs hit at least two goal posts, and a lot of the Caps shots were indeed harmless shots from the perimeter. This has been true of much of the series. The Caps *did* dominate a period here and there, and obviously dominated Game Six, but the Habs had an edge in play in several other periods and games, and overall play was MUCH more evenly matched than the 'Halak Steals Series' narrative would have you believe.

I've felt all along that the regular-season totals were not a full indication of what this team is capable of doing. In that sense, the whole "8th seed pulls off miraculous upset" narrative is a bit of an exaggeration. (Not that is wasn't a major upset; but my point is that that's not exactly garbage we're icing out there, contrary to media reports).

It is the easiest narrative that requires zero research and thought.

I felt the Habs outplayed them in Game 5 and 7. It is like saying that George Foreman was the better fighter than Muhammad Ali. The Canadiens figured out something that would work and replicated it 3 straight times.

The Caps were always a team that matched up well for the Habs. They have size, but do not use it to their advantage. They are irresponsible defensively and were open to counter attacks because of the Habs speed.

Every sport is about matchups, the Habs match up better with the Caps then the Pens. The Pens are HUGE up the middle and do not overcommit offensively. THeir goaltender is better and they will make the Habs D pay the price.

The Habs rope a doped the Caps and they continued to throw lazy haymakers that the Habs picked off with their arms, gloves and sides. The problem is if you keep hammering the sides, the arms and hands fall and the head is exposed.

THe longer you try it, the more you seal your eventual doom.

The Pens KNOW how to win in the playoffs. This series will be way more difficult to win.

Halak was very strong, but the storyline has been bastardized. People seem to forget that when he was left exposed in Game 2 and 3 he was helpless. That was a team dedicated to winning at any cost and Washington was not.

They outsmarted the Caps and were fully deserving of that victory. Kudos to Martin for making the adjustments and the defense who threw themselves in front of everything they could for the win.

Edited by Wamsley01

But Wamsley

They are the STANLEY CUP champions. You don't need experience to be successful in the playoffs

if you are a hard working team who is dedicated to defense and the physicality required to win in the playoffs.

You can be successful in the playoffs because your GM KNOWS how to assemble a team to play playoff

hockey.

Ovechkin has 28 games of playoff experience yet still doesn't KNOW how to win in the playoffs.

San Jose has 5 years of playoff experience and yet STILL struggles in the playoffs.

Big difference. It is impossible to win in the playoffs if you don't play defense, have poor goaltending

and gravitate toward the perimeter. It is NOT impossible to win in the playoffs with little playoff experience.

Look at the 2009 Blackhawks. Toews, Kane, Bolland, Versteeg, Keith, Seabrook, Barker and Byfuglien

had zero playoff games under their belt, yet made the Conference finals.

Edited by Wamsley01

It is the easiest narrative that requires zero research and thought.

I felt the Habs outplayed them in Game 5 and 7. It is like saying that George Foreman was the better fighter than Muhammad Ali. The Canadiens figured out something that would work and replicated it 3 straight times.

The Caps were always a team that matched up well for the Habs. They have size, but do not use it to their advantage. They are irresponsible defensively and were open to counter attacks because of the Habs speed.

Every sport is about matchups, the Habs match up better with the Caps then the Pens. The Pens are HUGE up the middle and do not overcommit offensively. THeir goaltender is better and they will make the Habs D pay the price.

The Habs rope a doped the Caps and they continued to throw lazy haymakers that the Habs picked off with their arms, gloves and sides. The problem is if you keep hammering the sides, the arms and hands fall and the head is exposed.

THe longer you try it, the more you seal your eventual doom.

The Pens KNOW how to win in the playoffs. This series will be way more difficult to win.

Halak was very strong, but the storyline has been bastardized. People seem to forget that when he was left exposed in Game 2 and 3 he was helpless. That was a team dedicated to winning at any cost and Washington was not.

They outsmarted the Caps and were fully deserving of that victory. Kudos to Martin for making the adjustments and the defense who threw themselves in front of everything they could for the win.

I agree with everything you say here. Good post.

boohoo.png

Insert angry, atrocious, baneful, base, beastly, calamitous, corrupt, damnable, depraved, destructive, disastrous, execrable, flagitious, foul, harmful, hateful, heinous, hideous, iniquitous, injurious, loathsome, lowering of the low, maleficent, malicious, malignant, nefarious, no good, obscene, offensive, pernicious, poisonous, rancorous, reprobate, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, spiteful, stinking, ugly, unpleasant, unpropitious, vicious, vile, villainous, wicked, wrathful, wrong, adverse, apocalyptic, bad, baleful, baneful, blackhearted, deleterious, dire, disastrous, dishonest, disquieting, doomful, foreboding, hurtful, ill-boding, inauspicious, injurious, malefic, malevolent, malign, mischievous, obnoxious, ominous, perverse, portentous, threatening, unfavorable, unfortunate, unlucky, unpropitious, woeful and evil sinister diabolical laugh here ______________________)

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/arts/television-...ueil_ECRAN1POS1

This article on cyberpresse.ca says there were 3.1 million viewers last night on RDS only! They averaged 1.97 million viewers throughout the game and it peaked at 3.1 million in the 3rd period.

I can only imagine what it was on TSN!!!

Just heard the numbers for TSN. According to Mitch Melnick on the Team 990, TSN averaged 2.8 million viewers for the game. I wonder what were the peak numbers? Probably in the 4 million range!

In any case, these are the higest numbers ever recorded for TSN for any NHL game!!! Impressive!

I gotta say, I'm disappointed that CBC will take over from here on. I like Gord Miller, I think he does a good job. I even like McGuire...sometimes! ;)

Edited by Habsfan

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/arts/television-...ueil_ECRAN1POS1

This article on cyberpresse.ca says there were 3.1 million viewers last night on RDS only! They averaged 1.97 million viewers throughout the game and it peaked at 3.1 million in the 3rd period.

I can only imagine what it was on TSN!!!

Just heard the numbers for TSN. According to Mitch Melnick on the Team 990, TSN averaged 2.8 million viewers for the game. I wonder what were the peak numbers? Probably in the 4 million range!

In any case, these are the higest numbers ever recorded for TSN for any NHL game!!! Impressive!

I gotta say, I'm disappointed that CBC will take over from here on. I like Gord Miller, I think he does a good job. I even like McGuire...sometimes! ;)

So 5.9 Million viewers for the Habs, yet continually treated like they are second class citizens by the Toronto centric media.

So 5.9 Million viewers for the Habs, yet continually treated like they are second class citizens by the Toronto centric media.

Looks like I was totally off for the peak numbers on TSN. I'm currently listening to Melnick on the Team 990 and Pierre McGuire is on. He just said that TSN Averaged 2.8 million viewers for the game, but they PEAKED at 8.9 million between 9PM and 9:30PM!!!

That's a combined 12 million viewers across Canada for the Habs!!! Not bad at all!!!

I also thought that TSN did an excellent job covering this series, as the did with the olympics. :clap: It's too bad we go to CBC and have to here how great Crosby is, and how great Toronto did all year. :angry:

The peak numbers are RDS and TSN combined, according to HI/O. Still some impressive ratings, though.

You sure about that? Cause McGuire said the 8.9 million was for TSN only, not RDS and TSN.

In any case, 9 million or 12 million for a combined TSN/RDS number is quite impressive!

A man goes into a bar and tells the bartender, "I'll have an Ovechkin". The bartender asks, "What's an Ovechkin?".

The man replies, "A White Russian, no ice, no cup".

A man goes into a bar and tells the bartender, "I'll have an Ovechkin". The bartender asks, "What's an Ovechkin?".

The man replies, "A White Russian, no ice, no cup".

Heh heh heh

Further to the question of the Habs' 'system' and whether Halak is working non-stop miracles, here's a nice piece:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup...s-strategy.html

I dont know about TSN, but if RDS peaked at 3.106M in the 3rd, that's basically half the province that watched the game! I can only imagine if they go further.

Not exactly seeing as there are 7.9 million people in this province...but it,s pretty close!