Round 2 Series Discussion

dlbalr

May as well start a thread to discuss the series before it gets underway tomorrow. I'll add some stats and whatnot as the day progresses (when I have time).

4176032455_e974eb6b38.jpg

Schedule:

Game 1: @ PIT, April 30, 7 PM

Game 2: @ PIT, May 2, 2 PM

Game 3: @ MTL, May 4, 7 PM

Game 4: @ MTL, May 6, 7 PM

Game 5: @ PIT, May 8, 7 PM*

Game 6: @ MTL, May 10, 7 PM*

Game 7: @ PIT, May 12, TBD*

All times EST. * - if necessary. All games are televised in Canada on CBC and RDS; in the USA: Game 1 plus 3-7 on Versus, Game 2 on NBC.

Regular Season Head-to-Head:

Oct. 28/09: PIT 6, MTL 1

Nov. 25/09: PIT 3, MTL 1

Dec. 10/09: PIT 3, MTL 2

Feb. 6/10: MTL 5, PIT 3

Montreal's top point getters:

Brian Gionta (2-2-4)

Tomas Plekanec (2-2-4)

Scott Gomez (1-2-3)

Roman Hamrlik (1-1-2)

Glen Metropolit (0-2-2)

Pittsburgh's top point getters:

Sidney Crosby (4-2-6)

Bill Guerin (2-4-6)

Sergei Gonchar (2-2-4)

Chris Kunitz (1-3-4)

Evgeni Malkin (1-3-4)

Special Teams:

Powerplay: 3/13 (23.1%)

Penalty Kill: 13/15 (86.7%)

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to CKAC Sports. Michel Bergeron asked Dany Dubé (CKAC Sports and Radio-Canada) if he had packed for a longer stay in the US. Dany said that he had packed enough clothes for a week.

Then, Dany told us that all the Habs players also had packed for a full week...meaning that our boys actually believed they were gonna win that 7th game!

I love the quite confidence of this team! Hope it continues into the second round and let's hope our boys can steal a game in Pittsburgh!

Certainly gonna be a harder series than against the Caps. The Pens' defensemen will be hard on our forwards. Pay attention to Brooks Orpik, he can hit viciously. I'm also pretty sure Matt Cooke will do all he can to get to Halak.

As for Sid, he's a much more complete player than Ovie. If you check him, he'll find an open man. I'd put Markov on him, it's our best bet to cut passes to and from Sid. Let G+G take care of Malkin.

Martin will need to adapt the system. He got lucky against the Caps. We were facing a team tailor-made for his passive defensive style and we still needed 4 games and some Halak heroics to get out of it alive. He'll have to be much quicker against the Pens, who actually have the killer instinct and wont let us come back from the dead.

Can't go in this series trying to keep the same recipe as against the Caps.

What I noticed from the Ottawa series, was the pens D are not great puck movers, and if pressure with forechecks give up the puck/make bad passes a lot. I think the opposite of the Washington series should be tried, a reverse trap, more forechecking.

I am not convinced the Pens are that good this year. Their goalie was awesome last year which is how they won the cup, but this year he is nothing to write home about. Ottawa was missing several key players and took these guys to 6 games. We are healthy and have some confidence.

While it won't be easy, if they can limit Crosby I think they can take these guys in 6.

I am not convinced the Pens are that good this year. Their goalie was awesome last year which is how they won the cup, but this year he is nothing to write home about. Ottawa was missing several key players and took these guys to 6 games. We are healthy and have some confidence.

While it won't be easy, if they can limit Crosby I think they can take these guys in 6.

The Habs have to adjust their game. What worked against the Caps will not work against the Pens.

I agree completely with Broheim here, the *edit* Pens *edit* lost Gil and Scuderi and haven't replaced that intangible aspect of their game, the Sens had success forechecking, but as the series went on they went away from it and lost their focus.

Edited by bar

Bah, the first 3 losses don't mean anything. Habs were missing Markov for all 3! Gionta was out for the Nov/Dec losses. Heck, even the win, the Habs were without Cams.

Exactly. plus when we lost 6-1, early in the season:

- the team was a no-show

- no Markov

- our Defense was awful (Crosby was left all alone for his 3 goals), nothing to do with the D that is performing well in the playoffs

There was also that 3-2 loss because of that softie that Price allowed (Dupuis' goal)

I agree completely with Broheim here, the caps lost Gil and Scuderi and haven't replaced that intangible aspect of their game, the Sens had success forechecking, but as the series went on they went away from it and lost their focus.

The Caps?

Edited by rafikz

Crosby is the greatest player in the game and a habs fan to boot, so he will be hyper-stoked to destroy us; and the Pens are the defending champs. That's bad enough. But what worries me most about this series is Fleury. Not only is he a strong goalie, but he's francophone and will get a huge extra charge from playing in front of family and friends and the whole Montreal circus. I've seen this film before and I hate it :puke: :puke: :puke:

Conversely, the opportunity for the Habs is to be the ultimate giant killers of all time. Ovie AND Cosby? Beat those two are you are officially on a legendary playoff run. :hlogo:

I haven't analyzed the Pens with great care, but I feel that Gonchar is the key. Neuter him and you mess them up.

Exactly. plus when we lost 6-1, early in the season:

- the team was a no-show

- no Markov

- our Defense was awful (Crosby was left all alone for his 3 goals), nothing to do with the D that is performing well in the playoffs

There was also that 3-2 loss because of that softie that Price allowed (Dupuis' goal)

The Caps?

Haha had caps on the brain I meant the Pens.

Nobody gives us a shadow of a chance against the Pens either. I hope it motivates the guys. Halak's been an underdog all his life and he seems to thrive on proving people wrong. I hope the entire team feels they need to keep proving people wrong.

WE SHOOK THE WORLD! LET'S KEEP ON SHAKING!

In a desperate attempt to save the playoffs run, I shaved my cheeks and neck (the ridiculous parts of my "beard") and kept only the goatee (the almost respectable part of my "beard") for game 5.

Comon' Guys !!!!

3-0 since I did it. Gotta keep it, despite the fact that it is already a bit out of control.

Letang claims that the Habs are the favourites having taken out Washington. Not sure I'm buying that...

« Ils ont battu les premiers », a expliqué Letang. « Ils doivent être considérés comme les favoris maintenant. »

Link

Crosby is the greatest player in the game and a habs fan to boot, so he will be hyper-stoked to destroy us; and the Pens are the defending champs. That's bad enough. But what worries me most about this series is Fleury. Not only is he a strong goalie, but he's francophone and will get a huge extra charge from playing in front of family and friends and the whole Montreal circus. I've seen this film before and I hate it :puke: :puke: :puke: Conversely, the opportunity for the Habs is to be the ultimate giant killers of all time. Ovie AND Cosby? Beat those two are you are officially on a legendary playoff run. :hlogo:

I haven't analyzed the Pens with great care, but I feel that Gonchar is the key. Neuter him and you mess them up.

CC, i can understand your concern, but I really think MAF is gonna be their achilles heel in this series. He's a great reflex goalie, but he's consistantly shown signs of buckling under pressure in his career. Add the "hometown" factor and I really think he's gonna get rattled.

The French Canadien goalies that have been giving us fits over the years when the play in Montreal are the "no-name" ones (other than Brodeur). Something tells me that Fleury is more "Theodore" than he is "Brodeur".

Just my two cents

Any Gambler wants to keep playing when their HOT............

Halak probably likes the fact he play's again tomorrow, why have a couple extra days off to think about things........better to stay in the moment and play every other day.

Any Gambler wants to keep playing when their HOT............

Halak probably likes the fact he play's again tomorrow, why have a couple extra days off to think about things........better to stay in the moment and play every other day.

I thought we were just feeling the wrath of bettman for ruining his Ovy vs Sid series.

CC, i can understand your concern, but I really think MAF is gonna be their achilles heel in this series. He's a great reflex goalie, but he's consistantly shown signs of buckling under pressure in his career. Add the "hometown" factor and I really think he's gonna get rattled.

The French Canadien goalies that have been giving us fits over the years when the play in Montreal are the "no-name" ones (other than Brodeur). Something tells me that Fleury is more "Theodore" than he is "Brodeur".

Just my two cents

I'm not sold on Fleury either. Outside of 1 season his SV% has been pathetic (and his 1 good

season was a half season) and he has a tendency to allow back breaking shitty goals.

Over the last 3 seasons he has played on a Stanley Cup worthy team and he has a .911 SV%.

That is just around league average.