GDT: Game 1, Montreal vs Pittsburgh

dlbalr

We just need 2 things (well actually 3 with Markov):

- rest

- discipline: on 5 on 5, we were leading 2-1 :clap:

That's right. We were playing a good game.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first ever post was in a Game Thread, so it makes sense to go out in a game thread. I've enjoyed posting with many of you these last 6 years, but it's time for me to move on. Thanks for the good times, guys!

My first ever post was in a Game Thread, so it makes sense to go out in a game thread. I've enjoyed posting with many of you these last 6 years, but it's time for me to move on. Thanks for the good times, guys!

Fanpuck33 wish you all the best. was most enjoyable to read and share in your posts. be safe.

We just need 2 things (well actually 3 with Markov):

- rest

- discipline: on 5 on 5, we were leading 2-1 :clap:

I wouldn't have given the Habs 2 cents to get this far, and I don't see them going much farther. The good part of this round is, that we are going to seperate the cream from the milk, without the reliance on Markov. We will be in a better position to evaluate the talent going forward. All those complaining about the injustices served up to Price, wouldn't be a nice time for him to step up and be the player he was predicted to be. Go Habs Go!

Guest Syn

What a boring game.. very slow. Both teams looked pretty tired and bored with it. With a little bit of rest for the Habs, it should be a pretty good series.

SO...do they play Price sunday (to give Halak his 1 game rest and then he can win 3 in a row?), or hope Halak drinks some redbulls before the game? Not bagging on him too much, but he seemed tired. I love his play lately, but this is becoming a trend and should be a little worrisome.

SO...do they play Price sunday (to give Halak his 1 game rest and then he can win 3 in a row?), or hope Halak drinks some redbulls before the game? Not bagging on him too much, but he seemed tired. I love his play lately, but this is becoming a trend and should be a little worrisome.

Great question. Halak is the man with the answer, but it must be a tough call. Sometimes we don't know we're emotionally exhausted and think it manly to play on, and not be a quitter and all the cliches, so It may just have to be a hunch.

Would we put Price in there tomorrow? The goals weren't Halak's fault mostlyand he didn't get two misconduct (child) penalties after they scored on him. Price can play and he can let in bad goals.

It may indeed be time to let Price have a shot. Coaches also must operate on the hunch level a lot, a sixth sense, and they are damned if they do and damnded if they don't.

That's why I don't get paid the big bucks. :B)

Hi Fanpuck33; I'm relatively new here, but want to thank you for the pleasure of your company and will he happy to enjoy it again in the future should you pass this way again.

Bonne chance and via cum dios.

Great question. Halak is the man with the answer, but it must be a tough call. Sometimes we don't know we're emotionally exhausted and think it manly to play on, and not be a quitter and all the cliches, so It may just have to be a hunch.

Would we put Price in there tomorrow? The goals weren't Halak's fault mostlyand he didn't get two misconduct (child) penalties after they scored on him. Price can play and he can let in bad goals.

It may indeed be time to let Price have a shot. Coaches also must operate on the hunch level a lot, a sixth sense, and they are damned if they do and damnded if they don't.

That's why I don't get paid the big bucks. :B)

Haha I was being more tongue in cheek...I just hope the recent trend is not longlasting.

I'll miss ya Fanpuck33 :( You were and are excellent!!! :clap:

PS: Jordan Staal out for remainder of playoffs with severed tendon. - TSN

TSN LINK

Good job Subban :clap: Take that Matt Fxckin Cooke

I thought that we should have started Price last night to give Halak a rest, I mean just thinking about how he played and how many saves he made makes me tired..lol. Definitely start Price tomorrow and go back to Halak the rest of the way. Price should be better on the road, so if he's gonna get a game this series next one is probably the best scenario for us and him and Halak.

Injury notes - Markov out for tomorrow, Spacek as well. Staal is out for a while apparently, though not the season like originally reported. Kennedy may be ready for tomorrow (he'd take Staal's place); otherwise, Mark Letestu may draw in.

I thought that we should have started Price last night to give Halak a rest, I mean just thinking about how he played and how many saves he made makes me tired..lol. Definitely start Price tomorrow and go back to Halak the rest of the way. Price should be better on the road, so if he's gonna get a game this series next one is probably the best scenario for us and him and Halak.

I thought the same too, as well as bench Plekanec and all other fatigue players. If you know you'll lose anyways because your team is dead tired, better have them rested for Game 2. Instead, now they are even more tired and worse, Game 2 is less than 48 hours after game 1.

However, Jacques Martin said in the post game conference that fatigue wasn't a problem. I don't know if he's trying to protect his player or if it's true.

I don't know how long it will take before the team gets back on its feet mentally/emotionally and physically. That's why I thought before game 1 that maybe the best thing was for Cooke to do a stupid thing so the Habs can get all their focus out of the Caps and unto the Pens series. Sadly, the response was gentle at best. If you're going to get a penalty out of retaliation, better beat the crap out of Cooke and let him know never to touch a Habs again.

I thought the same too, as well as bench Plekanec and all other fatigue players. If you know you'll lose anyways because your team is dead tired, better have them rested for Game 2. Instead, now they are even more tired and worse, Game 2 is less than 48 hours after game 1.

Their ice time was down compared to the last few games, so Martin did do that somewhat. Thing is, in a 2-goal game, you can't just roll over, gotta at least give it a try.

However, Jacques Martin said in the post game conference that fatigue wasn't a problem. I don't know if he's trying to protect his player or if it's true.

I don't know how long it will take before the team gets back on its feet mentally/emotionally and physically. That's why I thought before game 1 that maybe the best thing was for Cooke to do a stupid thing so the Habs can get all their focus out of the Caps and unto the Pens series. Sadly, the response was gentle at best. If you're going to get a penalty out of retaliation, better beat the crap out of Cooke and let him know never to touch a Habs again.

Yeah I totally agree, but now the only revenge we can do is to extend the amount of games we play to get Markov back in the lineup.

On a side note CBC is a joke, after the remarks about Halak after the game (at least Don Cherry told them off).

I really miss the un biased coverage of TSN.

I really don't think fatigue was the problem for Halak. We're playing a completely different team, and most of the goals were one time shots or Halak being screened... both of which he faced very little of in the first round. Well, he faced a lot of one timers in the Caps series, but the Pens seemed to be successful in keeping their one timers low, whereas the Caps always went up high on him. That being said, if Price were needed at all this series, I'd feel more comfortable with him in the net than I would have (before he even played) been in the Washington series. Halak should start next game in my opinion however, there's no question about it.

As for the players, I agree that they did look a bit tired, especially in the third period. With that being said, like someone else pointed out, BOTH teams actually looked pretty tired out there during many periods of time.

I'm an optimist when it comes to this year's squad and will continue to hope for the best, but the Markov injury is just demoralizing. Why oh why did it have to happen? Hopefully other players step up, but ugh.

Next game should be more tightly checked, hopefully we'll pull out a close, low scoring game.

Edited by xXx..CK..xXx

I see no need to put Price in for game 2. Halak didn't play bad, he just wasn't amazing. The team needs to win a few without him being amazing. They were outplayed in their own end all night long and allowed shots from the high slot with traffic. They had trouble clearing the puck and making plays out of their end.

Let's give Halak a chance to show he can bounce back in the next game. He has earned that chance, imo.

As for the rest of the team, they need to stop taking stupid penalties, and more importantly, stop treating the puck like a hand grenade. Only Subban showed any poise with the puck in our end to not only get it out, but make a good play to do so. If they calm down and start playing with some confidence again they will be fine.

I see no need to put Price in for game 2. Halak didn't play bad, he just wasn't amazing. The team needs to win a few without him being amazing. They were outplayed in their own end all night long and allowed shots from the high slot with traffic. They had trouble clearing the puck and making plays out of their end.

Let's give Halak a chance to show he can bounce back in the next game. He has earned that chance, imo.

As for the rest of the team, they need to stop taking stupid penalties, and more importantly, stop treating the puck like a hand grenade. Only Subban showed any poise with the puck in our end to not only get it out, but make a good play to do so. If they calm down and start playing with some confidence again they will be fine.

I think the mindset is allow him rest, if Price plays great then awesome, if he doesn't you get a fully rested Halak going back to start

at the Bell.

It is over thinking things IMO, I would go back to Halak in Game 2 and start him in Game 3 unless he gets blown out of the water

again in Game 2. Treat him like the number 1 and stop ######ing around.

If Price has to see the ice again because of a blowout, give him another run until he plays poorly.

I still think any miracle run will involve both goalies at some point.

Usually the loss of Markov would have me checking out, but I think for the first time in 5 years that we have the ability

to piece together enough to survive in the short term without him. It all revolves around Spacek being able to return though.

A Spacek/PK combo could offer up a temporary band aid.

If Markov is gone for the playoffs, a miracle run is likely a pipedream.

Spacek not able to play again tomorrow ?

Is it me or it's really strange? He must be pretty d** sick to not consider

laces skate with teamamtes in need.

We shall all hope for a Markov return tusday.

And a miracle afternoon tomorrow, usually i don't like daytime games but

this time the strange things that happens on afternoon could help us.

Sergei K. for two goals.