Projected lines for Pittsburgh:

Left Wing Centre Right Wing Defence/Goalies
Kunitz Crosby Guerin Orpik Gonchar
Ponikarovsky Malkin Fedotenko Eaton Letang
Cooke Talbot Dupuis McKee Goligoski
Rupp Letestu* Conner Fleury Johnson

Other Notes:
Injuries: Kennedy*, Leopold, Staal
Scratches: Conner*, Curry, Engelland, Godard, Jeffrey, Johnson, Lovejoy, Tangradi, Thiessen, Wagner, Wallace

Game time: 2:00 PM EST
TV: CBC, NBC, RDS
Radio: CJAD,CKAC

dlbalr's 3 Keys to Success:
1) Defence by committee - Get in the lane, block shots, and please, please Bergeron, don't handle the puck like a grenade.

2) Penalty Kill - Now there's film on the way PIT runs their PP, time to adjust.

3) Top-6 is a top-6: The last few games, either the Plekanec line scores or the Gomez line scores.  Today, we need both to do so to get back in this series.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Time Hockey for us here in Europe.

My 10 month old little girl gets her first taste of "live" playoff hockey.

A win tonight and she's a fan for life..

GO HABS GO!!

Edited by Helmethead

Losing Markov for a while is a bad break, but Staal's injury is also a huge blow to the Penguins. He was in the line-up for close to 400 games in a row, played on all PKs. I guess that it's going to be difficult for them to make the adjustments.

Having said that, I believe that the Habs will be a lot tougher to play against today. The players should have recovered from the emotional breakdown following the series against the Caps. I have no doubt that they will have a better strategy against the Penguins' powerplay. Anyway, they won't score four goals in every game. We will adjust.

IMO, today's game is not an absolute. What's important is to play better and give Pittsburgh something to worry about. The serie will be played in the next two games, at Montreal. If we can win those two, regardless of what's going to happen today, the Habs will win the serie. It's my prediction.

Go! Habs Go!

Any lineup news? Is S.Kost back in?

And who is in net?

No game day skate, lineup news won't be until game time. I've guessed on Darche being back in as I think SK is all but in a Laraque situation - unless absolutely necessary with injuries, he's played his final game with Montreal.

By the way, the 3 Keys are a theme today - what are everyone else's keys to the game?

No game day skate, lineup news won't be until game time. I've guessed on Darche being back in as I think SK is all but in a Laraque situation - unless absolutely necessary with injuries, he's played his final game with Montreal.

By the way, the 3 Keys are a theme today - what are everyone else's keys to the game?

Terrible idea. We need to put an offensive team on the ice that can carry the play and get some shots on MAF. I think S.Kost is the better choice. And I think A.Kost seems to play better with his brother in the lineup so its a double bonus.

Cammy - Pleks - A.Kost

Gionta - Gomez - Moen

S.kost - Moore - Laps

Pouliot - Metro - Pyatt

Terrible idea. We need to put an offensive team on the ice that can carry the play and get some shots on MAF. I think S.Kost is the better choice. And I think A.Kost seems to play better with his brother in the lineup so its a double bonus.

Cammy - Pleks - A.Kost

Gionta - Gomez - Moen

S.kost - Moore - Laps

Pouliot - Metro - Pyatt

Not my idea so to speak, just an assessment of the situation (knowing Martin's tendency to bench him), plus a couple of off the record rumours that have been passed my way.

What's are record in afternoon games? Pens seemed to play almost every Saturday/Sunday on NBC so their used to these early games.........

Not sure, but our 1 win vs the Pens this year was an afternoon game that started a 2 PM I think.

I agree with your 3 keys to the game, Brian. And though I'm sure Martin will put in Darche, I really hope that Sergei is inserted in the lineup. AK46 had better show up soon too, or I fear the Kost Bros will be goners sooner than later.

I expect a better effort, and better results this game.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

Hmm three keys for success eh?

1) Production from Plekanec, Cammalleri and A. Kost. This is just a personal opinion, but prior to the series I felt as though Gomez and Gionta would have a lot more success this series than the other line. IF this is the case, the second line will have to be better. Though I guess, one could argue that the production of the Gomez-Gionta combo is just as important if they're expected to produce. Cammalleri has been steady all throughout the playoffs, but the other two need to up their level this series. I'm definitely not as hard on him as some others here, but AK played a horrible game 1. He definitely knows how to put the puck in the net though, so hopefully he comes through tonight.

2) Special teams. Quite simply, special teams killed us game one. We have to be much better blocking shots at the point and intercepting passes. Washington's only power play goal in the first series came off the rush. The penguins are much better at setting up in the offensive zone. It's as if the team forgot how to play on the penalty kill because of Washington's unorthodox style in such a scenario. On the other hand, our power play on the other hand will have to adjust to a lack of Markov...

3) Team defense. They will have to step up big to the occasion and contain the opposing team's star forwards. We are playing well in the netrual zone, but we have to be much better in our own end. The penguins' speed down low hurts us sometimes and creates great scoring opportunities. Markov's injury is more important to our all round game, not specifically important to our defensive zone coverage. We can definitely still play some fundamentally strong defense without his presence. His injury should not be an excuse for poor defensive zone coverage, though obviously he helps.

In short, looking back on your post, my three keys to the game are pretty much the same as yours! :lol:

Go Habs Go!! I hope it's an enjoyable game. :hlogo: :hlogo:

Considering the PK was autrocious in Game 1, having SK on deck might be smarter just because he can take a shift there. But I understand the Darche case as well... he'll be hungry and knows to go to the front of the net, and be hard on the forecheck.

I also think the Moen insertion on line 2 may have run it's course, but we'll see. You can only expect that kind of move to last briefly.

My three keys are:

1) Pressure their D - Ottawa did this to great success early in the series with Pitts, but then went away from it, and lost.

2) Don't play the Pens game - I felt the habs got caught up in this 'hit everything that moves' game, play their strength.

3) Be Agressive - I believe that the habs gave too much space to Malkin and Gonchar at the point on the PK, so they just set up shop, they need to get out there and pressure them.

1 - Goaltending

2 - Goaltending

3 - Goaltending

Same effort and work ethic we showed against Washington would be nice.

We "can" beat these guys. I hope we do. The good news is it will all seem possible after we get past these guys!

Hate to see amyone injured, but seeing Staal out after losing Markov somehow eased the blow.

Let's head home even!

Go Habs Go!

1 - Goaltending

2 - Goaltending

3 - Goaltending

My gut says we should have gone with Price today, thus extending Halak's rest before the series enters its absolute 'must win' phase. If Jaro struggles today, then we're looking either at playing an exhausted/strung-out Halak for the crucial Game Three, OR throwing Price cold into a pressure-packed, must-win situation. Better to play Price today, have the luxury of a rested Halak and possible a hot Price, depending on the outcome.

Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.

The injury to Staal takes some of the sting out of the Markov injury, but we're still in really, really tough. I hate to say it but I think PK Subban will be the key to our D functioning effectively in his absence. Only he has any plausible chance of bringing some of the skills Markov brings, at least in the O-zone.

NHL scheduling is criminal, BTW. Habs have gotten the shaft on that front.

Pressure

Pressure

Pressure

On the forecheck, go HARD at them, and FINISH your check. Get on their D, get back to backcheck..............

Play HARD while you're on the ice, you can rest on the bench and when the season's over.

My 3 keys of the game

Special teams. Were brutal in game 1. We obviously need to be better on penalty kill.

Goaltending. Has Halak been able to rest enough in the last 36 hours?

Markov replacement. Will Subban be a key ingredient in the defense, in replacement of Markov? Will Subban be used against Crosby or Malkin?

Forgot to add SHUT UP HEALY! You were a (marginally) better goalie than color/brodcast guy......... You're not much better Hrudey......... :lol:

Edited by kenadian

Horrible start. The Habs and Pens have picked up where they left off last game. 1-0 Pens