The press on officiating

rafikz

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2995808

Quote:

The Canadiens would have a case to complain about the officiating.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock...article1559641/

Quote:

Less than a minute later it was tied up when Montreal’s 20-year-old defenceman P.K. Subban got trapped (snared might be a better word) over the opposition blueline and Maxime Talbot was given a free channel to drift in on the Montreal net and slip the puck past Jaroslav Halak.

and a post on this article:

Wondering exactly what Betman and the owners have dangled in front of the referees to convince them to toss their integrity to the wind like they so obviously have in this series. Do the referees have a new CBA in the works?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10127/1056286-87.stm

Quote:

Not only that, every close call by the referees went the Penguins' way.

When it is that unanimous, there is some adjustment to be done.

Crosby is manipulating referees like they are puppets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/sp...tml?ref=hockey

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2995808

Quote:

The Canadiens would have a case to complain about the officiating.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock...article1559641/

Quote:

Less than a minute later it was tied up when Montreal's 20-year-old defenceman P.K. Subban got trapped (snared might be a better word) over the opposition blueline and Maxime Talbot was given a free channel to drift in on the Montreal net and slip the puck past Jaroslav Halak.

and a post on this article:

Wondering exactly what Betman and the owners have dangled in front of the referees to convince them to toss their integrity to the wind like they so obviously have in this series. Do the referees have a new CBA in the works?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10127/1056286-87.stm

Quote:

Not only that, every close call by the referees went the Penguins' way.

When it is that unanimous, there is some adjustment to be done.

Crosby is manipulating referees like they are puppets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/sp...tml?ref=hockey

I don't want just to be contradictory, but I'm not buying this conspiracy theory. When the opposing team has the puck for more than 75% of the time, it is normal that you end up taking the most penalties.

There were many occasions where the Habs deserved penalties but didn't get. Hook, holding. It went unnoticed by RDS in the third period, but did anyone saw A.K. crush Letang's head into the boards? I seriously thought Letang could have died on that play. They didn't show the replay but I'm pretty sure the hit deserves at least a 2 game suspension.

The 2 first period penalities to Gill were deserved: He broke Crosby's stick, and he held him with his free arm earlier.

The questionable penality to me is the boarding call against Gionta. The idiot there is Orpik a 6'2" 230lbs dman getting "boarded" by the smallest player in the league as he played the puck in the corner. Orpik did get "boarded" but it looked like a setup to me. Gionta got screw there and felt for it and he deserved the penalty.

Darche did trip the Pens player. The 4 calls against the Habs were fully deserved.

Now the main question I guess are the "non-calls" against the Penguins. I'm a fan of the Habs, and I want them to win no matter what. I'll let you know what I think of that question after the playoffs..=)

I'd say the noncalls against the Pens are what people are complaining about. Most specifically the ankle grab on Subban that led to the Pens goal. As someone else mentioned, the Habs had just scored, were putting on more pressure, and the game (at least the first period) turned on that play. Had it been called the correctly, the Habs had a 1 goal lead and would have been heading to a PP.

If Orpik was "boarded", where was the charging call for him leaving his feet into Plex? Although I'm sure had Plex fallen, he would've received a diving call. I won't even touch the freebies Crosby gets. 87 can do no wrong. I've been given a seat for 10 before for less chirping than he does.

Once again, in the end, it ultimately didn't change the outcome of the game. The Habs won, and even Darche admitted (I think it was him) that the Habs were letting the officiating get to them. Is it some grand conspiracy, I doubt it. But the officiating last night (and the diving trifecta game against the Caps) have left me scratching my head.

I'd say the noncalls against the Pens are what people are complaining about. Most specifically the ankle grab on Subban that led to the Pens goal. As someone else mentioned, the Habs had just scored, were putting on more pressure, and the game (at least the first period) turned on that play. Had it been called the correctly, the Habs had a 1 goal lead and would have been heading to a PP.

If Orpik was "boarded", where was the charging call for him leaving his feet into Plex? Although I'm sure had Plex fallen, he would've received a diving call. I won't even touch the freebies Crosby gets. 87 can do no wrong. I've been given a seat for 10 before for less chirping than he does.

Once again, in the end, it ultimately didn't change the outcome of the game. The Habs won, and even Darche admitted (I think it was him) that the Habs were letting the officiating get to them. Is it some grand conspiracy, I doubt it. But the officiating last night (and the diving trifecta game against the Caps) have left me scratching my head.

It was the non-calls for me, specifically in relation to Subban and AK46.

The MMA ankle lock on Subban and the WWE close line on Kostitsyn. The Pens scored on the first

non-call, then I watch the official call Gill for taking his hand off his stick and using it to impeded

a forward, then 3 minutes later AK beats Eaton to the outside and Eaton takes his hand off his stick

and impedes AK with no call. You have to call neither or BOTH.

THen I watch Gill slash the blade of Crosby's stick and get 2 minutes. THE BLADE.

All that being said, I don't complain about it because the Habs overcame it and won the game.

Penalties are excuses and one of the greatest attributes this team has shown me is commitment

and accountability to their teammates. Excuses shift the blame and this team does not allow the

nonsense to alter the outcome.

If they call penalties, kill them. If they don't award them, dominate 5 on 5.

Like I said earlier, the most horrible officiating I have seen for a long, long time -- and I have been following hockey on TV for more than 40 years.

i agree but its not only with the habs...i think the nhl are trying to get match ups that can get more tv time in the US..

i agree but its not only with the habs...i think the nhl are trying to get match ups that can get more tv time in the US..

This

Butityfityfitifuglien's goal vs Vancouver in game 2 was suspicious

Calgary got robbed in game 6 of the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals

Edmonton had to beat the refs in 2006 to get to the Finals

Guys, there is NO PROBLEM AT ALL with Crosby this series!! I don't get why/how we can complain against him LLLOL.

Crosby had 14 points through his first 5 playoffs games and has only 3 assists in his last 5!

I don't know about you, but here's my message to Crosby: "Whatever you do or don't, KEEP DOING IT!!!!"

I don't know about you, but here's my message to Crosby: "Whatever you do or don't, KEEP DOING IT!!!!"
If I hadn't switched to Crosby in the HW Playoff pool this round, there's a decent chance I'd have been 10th overall in the pool in terms of Round 2 points heading into yesterday's play. That being said, oh well, I'll live with it since it helps the Habs. :)

As for those non-calls yesterday, a little video refresher:

If I hadn't switched to Crosby in the HW Playoff pool this round, there's a decent chance I'd have been 10th overall in the pool in terms of Round 2 points heading into yesterday's play. That being said, oh well, I'll live with it since it helps the Habs. :)

As for those non-calls yesterday, a little video refresher:

I have to hand it to CBC, I watched the game highlights on both TSN and NHL network and neither had the balls to mention the non-calls.

There were many occasions where the Habs deserved penalties but didn't get. Hook, holding. It went unnoticed by RDS in the third period, but did anyone saw A.K. crush Letang's head into the boards? I seriously thought Letang could have died on that play. They didn't show the replay but I'm pretty sure the hit deserves at least a 2 game suspension.

Alright, found a video from a different angle than RDS. not as worse as I thought but still dangerous

Ak/Letang video no workie. But the CBC video does for me.

It would be different if this was a sour grapes/we lost because of officiating thread. But even multiple media outlets (as well as most hockey fans, regardless of team affiliation) agree that the calls last night definitely favored the Pens. Were there missed calls against the Habs? Sure there are every game. But the blatantly obvious stuff Pittsburgh got away with, which had similar calls called against the Habs, is a little annoying, to say the least. I mean when even the Pittsburgh press (which I read everyday anyway since I'm a Steelers fan, I've got their sports sites bookmarked) is admitting that the officiating was off key last night, I think we can leave it at that.

Seems odd that a Habs fan is trying to prove otherwise.

Gil hit a guys blade, beside the net. The ref called nothing, as he couldn't see the play. The ref that did see it, didn't call it. Then Crosby lifts his hands and yells at the ref who could not possibly see it, and the ref suddenly puts his hands up. That is plain BS.

Later, there were two key plays where habs had their sticks slashed right out of their hands and broken, no calls. hmm...

There is no way you can't call the clothline on AK. Or the trips on Subban. Or the blatant interference at the line to stop the break away in the last two minutes. Those were not marginal calls, they were clear penalties that were seen, and ignored.

Several of the habs calls were marginal, usually not called at this time of year. I would be fine with the call, if they were not ignoring the other team completely. That speaks to bias. Seriously, I normally chalk this stuff up to incompetence, but those refs were not that bad. Those call and non-calls were conciously made.

Personally, I am getting sick of Crosby whining and getting penalties called. If Gil puts his hand on his back, its called. If he did it to Cooke, it wouldn't. hmm...

Even Don Cherry was baffled. Or was he.. It sure looked to me like he was going to call the league out, and thought better of it.. and gave a weak "I have no idea why this is going on".

We better get a fair game tomorrow. I am not counting on it. If the refs will do that in the Bell Center, they will be happy to get the cheers from the Pens fans. ( I know absolute habs haters who love Crosby, and said they couldn't believe what they saw last night).

After I saw the Subban non-call nothing could shock me.

I will forever be inspired by the Canadian woman's team in 2002 who gave a giant FU to

the refs when they tried to steal the gold. THe Habs offered up an FU of their own last night.

I will forever be inspired by the Canadian woman's team in 2002 who gave a giant FU to

the refs when they tried to steal the gold. THe Habs offered up an FU of their own last night.

This was why I was so happy last night. I actually stated in the game thread that I didn't think the boys had the intestinal fortitude to get over the reffing and up their game to pull off the win. I was wrong, and I am very happy to be wrong about that. Good teams overcome stuff like that and win.

Agreed! I couldn't believe Fedotenko didn't get called for tackling Subban in the first.

Last night was a GIANT F***-You to the Refs!!

It was the non-calls for me, specifically in relation to Subban and AK46.

The MMA ankle lock on Subban and the WWE close line on Kostitsyn. The Pens scored on the first

non-call, then I watch the official call Gill for taking his hand off his stick and using it to impeded

a forward, then 3 minutes later AK beats Eaton to the outside and Eaton takes his hand off his stick

and impedes AK with no call. You have to call neither or BOTH.

THen I watch Gill slash the blade of Crosby's stick and get 2 minutes. THE BLADE.

All that being said, I don't complain about it because the Habs overcame it and won the game.

Penalties are excuses and one of the greatest attributes this team has shown me is commitment

and accountability to their teammates. Excuses shift the blame and this team does not allow the

nonsense to alter the outcome.

If they call penalties, kill them. If they don't award them, dominate 5 on 5.

+1

Edited by ehjay

That is the same game that came to my mind. Those girls got jobbed so bad, and still won. Truely inspiring.

yup. non calls for me too - especially the Subban trip ...

I don't care if they penalize us, but penalize both teams when it's so obvious.