GDT: Game 7, Montreal vs Pittsburgh

dlbalr

The last thing I want to do is jinx this ridiculous run we're on but this question has been eating away at me since the first round upset of the Caps...

God forbid we end up going all the way, who the hell does Bettman hand the Cup over to?? :o

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha good one.

Hmm, if I have to bet, I'd say it would be the senior Assistant captain (the oldest asst captain). So I guess the current candidate would be Hal Gill.

The last thing I want to do is jinx this ridiculous run we're on but this question has been eating away at me since the first round upset of the Caps...

God forbid we end up going all the way, who the hell does Bettman hand the Cup over to?? :o

Jaro! Then he grabs his conn smythe

Gotta be Markov if you ask me. The longest serving, quietest, and best on the team.

I thought i'd weigh in on this...

I honestly don't know who I'd rather face. Boston looks to have the better defensice corps and the obviously have the better goalie. Their offense is almost non-existant.

Philly on the other hand, if htey win the series against Boston, they will be pumped. After coming back from a 0-3 deficit, there's no telling how far that energy will carry them?

I am hoping for Boston personally. The Flyers are just way too goonish for my liking. I wouldnt put it past the Flyers to purposey attempt tp injure Halak, and if Halak gets injured Price has absolutely no chance at beating the Flyers. If Bos tries the same trick, Price could beat them. Plus I think Bos will highly underestimate the Habs. These Habs arent Komisereks pushy Habs anymore.

No matter which team the Habs face the Habs cant underestimate either of them. The standings this year are highly misleading. The 6th, 7th and 8th placed seeds arent really the 6th, 7th and 8th placed seeds at all. Its highly important not to foget that both the Booins and Flyers both had lot of their top players injured too.

In reality if you factor in all the teams injuries I bet the Sens would be more like the 8th place seed. Bos and Philly are definitely better teams then they finished in the standings.

I am hoping for Boston personally. The Flyers are just way too goonish for my liking. I wouldnt put it past the Flyers to purposey attempt tp injure Halak, and if Halak gets injured Price has absolutely no chance at beating the Flyers. If Bos tries the same trick, Price could beat them. Plus I think Bos will highly underestimate the Habs. These Habs arent Komisereks pushy Habs anymore.

No matter which team the Habs face the Habs cant underestimate either of them. The standings this year are highly misleading. The 6th, 7th and 8th placed seeds arent really the 6th, 7th and 8th placed seeds at all. Its highly important not to foget that both the Booins and Flyers both had lot of their top players injured too.

In reality if you factor in all the teams injuries I bet the Sens would be more like the 8th place seed. Bos and Philly are definitely better teams then they finished in the standings.

I agree, I'd rather face the Bruins...the Flyers are way too dirty and goony. Plus looking at their rosters, it seems the Bruins have a few more exploitable holes in their lineup. Yet, they have an excellent goalie in Rask. Still, I'd prefer the Bruins.

Meaningless stats department (for Bruins-Flyers), from nhl.com:

Overall, 132 playoff series have gone to seven games since the NHL introduced the best-of-seven format in 1939. The home team has won 80 (.606), although road clubs are 3-0 in the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs and 8-4 since 2008.

Road teams are 3-0 in the seventh game? Take out the Habs, and it's only 1-0!

Edited by tomh009

I think Andrei will play better when he doesnt have to chose between supporting his brother or supporting the team decisions and I bet that is just what has made Andrei play bad. Let Sergei go to KHL or wherever he wants to go, I bet he wouldnt take a spot in the KHL with that attitude either. KHL teams doesnt hesitate from fireing players that doesnt provide. Keep Sergei and Andrei far from eachother and I bet Andrei will start playing well again.

Good observation. A friend of mine told me exactly the same thing a week ago. He thought that Sergei was probably a distraction for his older brother, criticizing the organization, the city (I guess), all the time. Negativism can grow on you if you are exposed to it on a day-to-day basis. Too bad, because Sergei has probably the best vision of the two brothers on the ice. He also is a very good passer. Well, some talented guys just never make it because of their personal problems. It looks as though SK74 will join the ranks of the under-achievers. So sad...

True, but the real juggernaut that year was the Pens, and they got bounced by the Isles. Also, the Bruins had Patrick Roy's number over the past few seasons previous to 93. Had the Habs taken on the bruins instead of the Sabres in the 1st round, I'm not sure we would have made it!

The Nords were quite a team. It was a big upset for the Habs to eliminate them. And the fact that we played 11 games in overtime (winning the last 10 in a row) still makes the 1993 Stanley Cup run one the most memorable ones.

Edited by JCPetit

I agree, I'd rather face the Bruins...the Flyers are way too dirty and goony. Plus looking at their rosters, it seems the Bruins have a few more exploitable holes in their lineup. Yet, they have an excellent goalie in Rask. Still, I'd prefer the Bruins.

I don't have a preference. It sure would be nice to face the Bruins and eliminate them after the humiliation of last year. But I still remember our performance, the year before, against Philadelphia and would not mind to give them a good lesson of hockey. IMO, the Habs have good chances against either team.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The best!

You know, with how all his other acquisitions are performing in the playoffs, I have to wonder how much Mara would have added. I am sure BG also saw something more than we all did in him.

Thank you so very much Mr Gainey for the remarkable job you have done since you came home to your team. Again, thank you very much.

Edited by Toronthab

Thank you so very much Mr Gainey for the remarkable job you have done since you came home to your team. Again, thank you very much.

Does anybody really know what Bob Gaineys role with the Canadiens is, because he is sure still present. Is this the old Trojan Horse move, shuffle titles and stay the same. What if Bob is still steering the ship? SMOOTH BABY SMOOTH!

Does anybody really know what Bob Gaineys role with the Canadiens is, because he is sure still present. Is this the old Trojan Horse move, shuffle titles and stay the same. What if Bob is still steering the ship? SMOOTH BABY SMOOTH!

Technically, he's still an advisor to Gauthier, at least that's the sense I got when they made the announcement. I don't think he has the final say in decisions anymore, but he still has one.

Good observation. A friend of mine told me exactly the same thing a week ago. He thought that Sergei was probably a distraction for his older brother, criticizing the organization, the city (I guess), all the time. Negativism can grow on you if you are exposed to it on a day-to-day basis. Too bad, because Sergei has probably the best vision of the two brothers on the ice. He also is a very good passer. Well, some talented guys just never make it because of their personal problems. It looks as though SK74 will join the ranks of the under-achievers. So sad...

You know who ought to be interested in Sergei? The Pittsburgh Penguins. They need cheap, talented wingers and aren't in a position to be too choosy. Stick SK with Malkin, you don't think he'd produce?

Just a thought.

“I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without ever experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien.”

Mike Camallerri

“I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without ever experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien.”

Mike Camallerri

ROFL

Great marketing ploy; we are going to attract more stars from now on ^_^

And you opened page 23 with number 23 in your avatar

ROFL

Great marketing ploy; we are going to attract more stars from now on ^_^

And you opened page 23 with number 23 in your avatar

The ghosts and Big Spirit are having their way with me!!! All for a good cause I hope!!

Technically, he's still an advisor to Gauthier, at least that's the sense I got when they made the announcement. I don't think he has the final say in decisions anymore, but he still has one.

That's why I said smooth. He may have just shifted out of the seat that takes all the abuse and criticism, and moves into seat where he can concentrate on the team needs in isolation. God knows that the media in Montreal is relentless. My guess is that he is still running the ship.

Gotta be Markov if you ask me. The longest serving, quietest, and best on the team.

Agreed. Markov would be the one to get the Cup!

Mike Camallerri

Could you tell me where you got that quote from? I'd like to read what Camms had to say! Thanks!

Agreed. Markov would be the one to get the Cup!

Let's hope he's back on the ice on Sunday night to help us with the next stage of our quest, against either the Bruins or the Flyers!