Is Lapierre's act starting to wear a bit thin?

REV-G

I don't know about you but I think it's time someone like Brian Gionta or one of the coaches took Maxim Lapierre aside and explained to him how a pro athlete should act. I think the faces he makes at other players is absolutely childish and he looks ridiculous and it reflects on the whole team. When he does that I'm embarressed for the other players sitting with him.

I like Lapierre and the way he has played during these play-offs but please, would someone go to him and tell him to grow up. Can you even imagine someone his age acting that way, and on national TV? And can you imagine former players like Beliveau, the Richards, Lafleur, Robinson and most other current NHL players seeing it, or them ever acting that way. I know Lapierre's role is to be an agitator and a pesk and get under other people's skin, but do it with hard work, hitting, winning the battles for the puck, not acting like a six year old making faces and mocking people.

Lapierre should make other players respect him because of his work hard, hitting and winning the battles. I'm sure other teams don't like him or respect him as a person not just because he's on the other team and is an agitator. But because of the ridiculous way he acts as a person. It's time for him to change and give it up!

I don't think so

Lappy is the kind of guy who can get under anyone's skin

Crosby, Orpik....

Remember how he teased Orpik during games 5 and 6? It had an impact in game 7, as Orpik was out of position trying to destroy Maxim, allowing Moore to score the 2nd goal.

Lapierre picked the right time yesterday; Flyers were frustrated with the butt kicking, and Laps added to the salsa

He is now under the Flyers' skin, I can guarantee that

Never underetimate a pest ^_^

His act is fine if he backs it up with a good scrap every once in a while, but I agree, it is on the emabrrassing side watching him yap, dive, get into a scrum then turtle. his act seldom draws penalites and does little to inspire his teamates. Kudos to him though, he is playing pretty damm good right now, I would like too see him KO another lightweight on Philly (claude giroux or brierie) come to mind.

Was not impressed with last night's antics from Philly, Hamrlik taking on Hartnell was admirable, but PK and/or Moen should be the one's handling that crap.

Although I'd never classify Laps' antics as mature or sportsmanlike, they serve a very useful purpose. As it was already mentioned, Laps frustrated Orpik to the degree that he took himself out of position to pound on him... which of course led to a goal. Obviously, I'd prefer it if he fought more, but presently his pestering is helping out the team.

Although I'd never classify Laps' antics as mature or sportsmanlike, they serve a very useful purpose. As it was already mentioned, Laps frustrated Orpik to the degree that he took himself out of position to pound on him... which of course led to a goal. Obviously, I'd prefer it if he fought more, but presently his pestering is helping out the team.

I say leave all the players who are performing well alone. You do not do anything that would change the effectiveness of a player during times of success. Who is worst Lappiere or Carcillo?

I say leave all the players who are performing well alone. You do not do anything that would change the effectiveness of a player during times of success. Who is worst Lappiere or Carcillo?

That's a tough call, Carcillo, while a coward will drop the gloves and can go, but he is a complete douchebag, Laps is 10 times the hockey player. If Laps didn't shy away from the fights (when evenly matched up) he would be significatnly more valuable, no need to be Shayne Corson (very few if any around these days) but he should be able to throttle/bully matt carle, or timmoenen or giroux and if he really wanted to set a tone, attempt to straighten up Mike Richards, don't think that would be a good matchup for Max though. PK needs to step up and send a message to Richards as much as I like MR, he does tend to run around a take liberties, could use a good beatdown.

THIS is how Laps has to act, not everyone has to be the choir boy, good all-canadian kid. I love the yapping, the slashing, the all around doucheness of Laps. When he stops performing like this, his game suffers.

I don't qualify Lapierre's behavior as an "act". I just think of it as part of his personality as a player. He loves to taunt, he loves to mock and he loves to get under your skin. He destabilizes the opposing team mentally.

The best part is, these benefits are "off the ice", so his actual on-ice play is not compromised. Add to the fact he's a pretty good player.. and i like what he brings to the table.

It's easy to invoke the image of Beliveau and his honorable and noble traits, but do you honestly think for a second that during Beliveau's time there wasn't intimidation, taunting and mocking going around? There was plenty of that back then too!

I say let Lapierre do his thing. He messes with the opponent and that's good in my books.

Go Lapierre!

Lapierre's line was amazing yesterday. I don't particularly like the faces he makes, but if it's the way he can be comfortable and play at his max, so let it be and I have no problem to endure it. His line was dominant and whatever he is doing, I hope he continues! Lapierre's line is playing with energy, strength and determination. This is the Lapierre we loved last year. I don't know what happened this year, but I'm glad he's back now with a vengeance.

Talking of his line, I'm still amazed at the play of Pyatt. The guy's a rookie! Wow surely aint looking like it. And with Moore, we've got a very smart, effective and bright 3rd line.

I like how Martin shuffled his lines and rotated a star on the 4th line with Metropolit and Moen. Flyers had their hands full.

THIS is how Laps has to act, not everyone has to be the choir boy, good all-canadian kid. I love the yapping, the slashing, the all around doucheness of Laps. When he stops performing like this, his game suffers.

+1

Most teams have a player like this. They're useful as hell.

You're right: the Flyers certainly don't respect him. They want to pound him every time they see his #40 on the ice. That takes their focus off the play and only helps us.

I'm not embarrassed by the faces he makes. You think Maurice Richard would be? It's not like The Rocket dominated the league with nothing but hard work and talent - back then they would crack their sticks on others peoples heads.

A lot of people (e.g. Don Cherry) seem to think that Lapierre is somehow obligated to fight. Somehow the fact that he gets under the other team's skin is supposed to mean that he being dishonourable if he doesn't fight. I don't really understand this. Briere gets the opposition mad by scoring goals - but no one thinks this means he has to fight anyone who challenges him.

I understand that opposition players want to beat him up but why should he be required to give them the chance?

Edited by Peter Puck

A lot of people (e.g. Don Cherry) seem to think that Lapierre is somehow obligated to fight. Somehow the fact that he gets under the other team's skin is supposed to mean that he being dishonourable if he doesn't fight. I don't really understand this. Briere gets the opposition mad by scoring goals - but no one thinks this means he has to fight anyone who challenges him.

I understand that opposition players want to beat him up but why should he be required to give them the chance?

Laps looks ridiculous because he plays 3rd or 4th line minutes and yet he tries to insert his influence above and beyond that through his childish behaviour. Kudos for trying to be effective in your own way, but that doesn't mean you aren't embarassing yourself and your team by doing so.

Their stats for 2009:

Lapierre - 76GP 7G 14PTS

Carcillo - 76GP 12G 22PTS

The main beef I have with watching Max is that he is a situational tough-guy. He is 6'2" and 210lbs and he likes to take runs at Briere and facewash those kind of guys after the whistle. Anyone coming close to his size or bigger and he makes a beeline for the bench faster than a pulled goalie.

He is a gigantic pussy, but because he gets under players' skin every so often we attach some positive worth to an otherwise reprehensible attitude towards the game.

Yea, you beat to those stats. I believe they are pretty equal for plyoff stats as well.

i wish lapierre was 10x the player of Carcillo, he would have 220 points. That would be something to talk about.

Also Carcillo has more hits and fights then Lapierre.

To me he is the epitome of what the game has gradually become over the past few decades. A young guy that makes seven figures who has absolutely no respect for his opponents or how his own actions reflect on the organization.

He certainly isn't the only one out there, we have Carcillo as a prime example on the other side, however that doesn't mean I have to like it or endorse it.

Any man that pulls off the stunts he does, to the players he specifically targets so he can get away with it, and then refuses to defend himself when his own honor and integrity are being called into question, is not much of a man in my eyes. Sometimes I wonder how he can watch himself in replays and not just be completely embarassed for himself, his family, and the logo on his jersey.

Lapierre's line was amazing yesterday. I don't particularly like the faces he makes, but if it's the way he can be comfortable and play at his max, so let it be and I have no problem to endure it. His line was dominant and whatever he is doing, I hope he continues! Lapierre's line is playing with energy, strength and determination. This is the Lapierre we loved last year. I don't know what happened this year, but I'm glad he's back now with a vengeance.

Talking of his line, I'm still amazed at the play of Pyatt. The guy's a rookie! Wow surely aint looking like it. And with Moore, we've got a very smart, effective and bright 3rd line.

I like how Martin shuffled his lines and rotated a star on the 4th line with Metropolit and Moen. Flyers had their hands full.

This makes loosing McDo somewhat easier to swallow. Pyatt has been great.

Lapierre is doing everything right, and was arguably one of our top 2 or 3 players last night.

We need him to get under the skin of the Flyers, so they focus on him, take bad penalties, get caught out of position.

I love how Lappy is playing!

Laps looks ridiculous because he plays 3rd or 4th line minutes and yet he tries to insert his influence above and beyond that through his childish behaviour. Kudos for trying to be effective in your own way, but that doesn't mean you aren't embarassing yourself and your team by doing so.

Their stats for 2009:

Lapierre - 76GP 7G 14PTS

Carcillo - 76GP 12G 22PTS

The main beef I have with watching Max is that he is a situational tough-guy. He is 6'2" and 210lbs and he likes to take runs at Briere and facewash those kind of guys after the whistle. Anyone coming close to his size or bigger and he makes a beeline for the bench faster than a pulled goalie.

He is a gigantic pussy, but because he gets under players' skin every so often we attach some positive worth to an otherwise reprehensible attitude towards the game.

Lapierre's stats for 2008: 79 GP 15G 13A 28P

This certainly doesn't discredit your points, but I think we can all agree that Laps had an off-season (likely due to his injury, or perhaps the coaching change) and those numbers are probably more reflective of his skills... especially if you see how he is playing these playoffs. Laps will never fight as much as Carcillo, but these types of numbers, paired with his "pesky" abilities, make his valuable to the habs. IMO, he's yet to reach his full potential yet.

I feel that some really disagree with making faces thing.... hmm....

what if he put on a read nose or something é?

he could do like T.O and pull it out of his jock or something.

IMO, he is playing like Tony Fkn Tiger and that is GREAT!!!!

leave the guy with his frost flakes alone and let him have turtle soup for breakfast IF he keeps playing like this

To me he is the epitome of what the game has gradually become over the past few decades. A young guy that makes seven figures who has absolutely no respect for his opponents or how his own actions reflect on the organization.

He certainly isn't the only one out there, we have Carcillo as a prime example on the other side, however that doesn't mean I have to like it or endorse it.

Any man that pulls off the stunts he does, to the players he specifically targets so he can get away with it, and then refuses to defend himself when his own honor and integrity are being called into question, is not much of a man in my eyes. Sometimes I wonder how he can watch himself in replays and not just be completely embarassed for himself, his family, and the logo on his jersey.

I think some of you can't tell the difference between a grinder and a agitator. This is EXACTLY what everyone wanted laps to do all year, and now that he is doing it people are complaining.

Laps job is to make the other team so mad they would prefer to abuse him physically then follow their defensive assignments (see Orpik). If he went to their enforcer and accepted a fight then he would be doing exactly what they wanted him to do. It seems a lot of people look at the glory days with rose coloured glasses, but it isn't like they where saints then either.

Would tou prefer him in the role he played all year ?

He stinked all year long trying to find a role of position on the ice.

He is now an effective 3th line winger an 4 fourth C.

Don't be annoyed by him, be annoyed if you play against him.

Or campaingn to kick him out of town AFTER the playoffs !!

Support your local.HA

He stopped diving and getting terrible penalties (cause he's a terrible actor) And I'll take faces and grins that piss over the opponents over diving 'alla Carcillo or aka European futbol -like' Anytime!!

Geez how that really pisses me off!!!!