GDT: Game 5 ECF, Montreal vs Philadelphia

dlbalr

Well, I'm an old school Habs fan who's used to this, but I gotta say I am pretty happy with the playoffs this year. I hope that there are some offseason changes. Let Plek walk and go after Marleau. Trade Kostys, sign Moore, Let MAB walk, Let Mara walk, buy out or trade Hammer.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's going to be a lot of questions to think about in the offseason.

Do you resign Plek, Halak, what about AK and SK.

AK/SK gone as far as I am concerned

How many PP run by a 21 year old, a 36 year old and a guy who wasn't in the league in October do well?

It was #1 or #2 during the regular season - did well even without markov. The two biggest issues I had was the decisions on the PP - MAB who only has one asset and that is his shot, was way to hesitant in unloading, and where the fuXk was the traffic in front??? If he wasn't going to shoot every chance he had, he shouldn't have been in the lineup (and he should have ONLY got PP time). The other issue was that the coaching staff had to get someone other then Gionta willing to park his ass in front of the goalie. If AK46, Pouliot weren't willing, take a dman like Hamrlik to park his ass in front of the net.

What really worries me next year is that we will probably end up spending around $11-12 million on Pleks and two goalies. Which would be fine, but with Gomez's contract that means we are screwed for another 3-4 years with cap commitments where we are really overpaying two many guys.

IMO the only way we are going to have any chance to be better is if Gauthier can some how move Gomez and Hamrliks contracts. Simply buying out Hamrlik still means eating up cap room.

Well, a great playoff push! Lots of silver linings for next season. JM proved why he is here and the players Bob picked up proved the doubters wrong. Get well soon Markov!

A good time to count our blessings alright.

In Montreal I got to see some Halak stops signs and for great reasons. Here's to some heroic goaltending against all odds.

And speaking of heroes; how about Gill and Gorges

And did PK make a first impression?

And how about Camallerri?

And lots of great play, and people stepping up when it mattered. , the Hammer, Spacek. :clap::clap::clap:

Laps certainly came to play :clap::clap::clap:

Lots to be happy about.

Thanks very much Mr. Gainey :clap::clap::clap:

AK/SK gone as far as I am concerned

Yep, but what pisses me off is, that as usual the habs will be trading from a position of weakness. banishing SK just hurt any return that you could have gotten and AK should have been moved when he was on his scoring streak. That was what pissed me off about Gainey. I absolutely hated Ryder and everytime he got on a streak, i wish Gainey would have moved him and he really didn't try until his last year where he did absolutely nothing. Now we are probably going to get not much more then a 3rd/4th liner or more 5/6 dman for them.

JM did a lot of things well, but he has made questionable calls regarding the youth. I hope he looks back and starts treating vets and young players with the same brush.

Yep, but what pisses me off is, that as usual the habs will be trading from a position of weakness. banishing SK just hurt any return that you could have gotten and AK should have been moved when he was on his scoring streak. That was what pissed me off about Gainey. I absolutely hated Ryder and everytime he got on a streak, i wish Gainey would have moved him and he really didn't try until his last year where he did absolutely nothing. Now we are probably going to get not much more then a 3rd/4th liner or more 5/6 dman for them.

Would you trade Halak right now then? When will his stock ever be higher?

Edited by Wamsley01

I doubt you'd get anything for a RFA expiring contract.

Personally if Halak gets a RFA offer for more than $3m, I'd let him go and take the picks. I, as a fan, do not like him, the word is out on how to beat him by going high.

Why would you trade a player who's playing well?

I asked the question because he said Gainey should have traded AK at a high point.

The only problem is assessing wether it IS THE HIGH POINT.

I doubt you'd get anything for a RFA expiring contract.

Personally if Halak gets a RFA offer for more than $3m, I'd let him go and take the picks. I, as a fan, do not like him, the word is out on how to beat him by going high.

Every goalie is vulnerable high.

It's hard to see Philly move on to the next round, this whole playoff run was a waste if you're not going to play your heart out till the very end.. The Habs let us down and there's no doubt about that.

I asked the question because he said Gainey should have traded AK at a high point.

The only problem is assessing wether it IS THE HIGH POINT.

Every goalie is vulnerable high.

Haha well, some are more so vulnerable. I dunno..I just don't trust him.

This run died the minute the Bruins blew their 3-0 lead.

I never liked the Philly matchup because of Pronger/Carle/Coburn/Timonen.

The night the Flyers clinched their playoff spot vs the Rangers, I had a bad feeling

I dont know why, but it didnt like it

Draft the 25th of June, and then July 1st for Free Agency. Then September, this is going to be a long off season.

Final question for me of the night....Game 1 2010-2011 season...do we have a named captain?

Edited by bar

Would you trade Halak right now then? When will his stock ever be higher?

There is a difference between trading a guy like Halak, who I've been behind since his 1st year (and have been pissed at Carbo or playing Huet over Halak against Toronto), because, right from his first year, he looked like he was going to be someone special. I was bitching during that Leafs game when Huet got the start and for the past two years when Price kept on getting the start.

With players like Ryder, Ak46, these are guys that regularly have yo-yo years and the only thing they have been consistent in, is there inconsistent play. Those are the guys you hope someone will overpay for their potential upside if they put things together.

As far as Halak goes, i've been saying since November, that unless someone offers a genuine top 3 forward or top 2 dman, I'd keep them both Halak and Price next year to see who you want to go with long term. Its too early to make a call on Halak or Price, since they are still developing. Guys like Ryder, Souray, AK46 year after year tease with their potential to be something better then they are. I have no problem moving players like that when they are hot, or when they are coming off a great year, since expecting what kind of play you will get from them is a crapshoot.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Draft the 25th of June, and then July 1st for Free Agency. Then September, this is going to be a long off season.

Final question for me of the night....Game 1 2010-2011 season...do we have a named captain?

And one win cost us 10+ spots in the draft.

It's hard to go out this way, but if anyone had asked me if I thought we'd make it to the ECF after backing into the playoffs, I'd have laughed my ass off. If asked the same question once Markov went down, I'd have done the same.

But this team showed tons of heart, and I'm proud of them. It's not going to be easy addressing some of the issues in the off-season, but if we can get rid of the passengers and get some more compatible players, I think this team will have the potential to do it all again next year.

Cheers boys, enjoy your rest; you've earned it.

GO DOGS GO!!!!!

Too me it is either Gionta or Cammy. And your really need to have your leadership core selected from the get go next year.

A lot of media + players seem to like Gorges for it. I dunno, does it make sense to have your captain be your 2nd sometimes 3rd pairing Dman?

Well thats a wrap for 2009-2010 Habs fans, I've enjoyed immensely bantering with you all year long!

Edited by bar

I hated the flyers in the 1970's the 1980's the 1990's the 2000's except when they sucked and I hate them now more than ever :clap: Hawks :clap:

That said, our Habs played their hearts out tonight. Except for on crappy play btw Hammer and Halak, this one is ours.

There is a difference between trading a guy like Halak, who I've been behind since his 1st year (and have been pissed at Carbo or playing Huet over Halak against Toronto), because, right from his first year, he looked like he was going to be someone special. I was bitching during that Leafs game when Huet got the start and for the past two years when Price kept on getting the start.

With players like Ryder, Ak46, these are guys that regularly have yo-yo years and the only thing they have been consistent in, is there inconsistent play. Those are the guys you hope someone will overpay for their potential upside if they put things together.

As far as Halak goes, i've been saying since November, that unless someone offers a genuine top 3 forward or top 2 dman, I'd keep them both Halak and Price next year to see who you want to go with long term. Its too early to make a call on Halak or Price, since they are still developing. Guys like Ryder, Souray, AK46 year after year tease with their potential to be something better then they are. I have no problem moving players like that when they are hot, or when they are coming off a great year, since expecting what kind of play you will get from them is a crapshoot.

This is bias on your part. Ryder has scored 25+ goals 4 times, you know how many players on the

Habs have accomplished that? ONE.

Ryder is a good NHL player, just not a $4M one.

one move I would make is a package that would include either of our goalies, would be if we could get put a package together to get Edmonton to give up their #1 pick. I'd love to FINALLY see a can't miss scoring power forward in a habs uniform.

one move I would make is a package that would include either of our goalies, would be if we could get put a package together to get Edmonton to give up their #1 pick. I'd love to FINALLY see a can't miss scoring power forward in a habs uniform.

No chance. I would deal Price for that pick, but it won't happen because Price's value is too low right now.

I am really beginning to believe that an elite goaltender is not necessary to win a Cup.