Habs facing Huge summer

Wamsley01

Since Asham left, everyone has been turned over save Markov, including ownership (Plekanec had been drafted, but I don't think he was even signed yet, that came later that summer). So unless a 22/23 year old Markov was a prick to him, there should be no issues at all. I suppose the media is largely the same, but I don't think that was ever an issue with him.

Not sure, just going off something I heard - like I said, it'd be nice to have him back on the 4th line.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's definitely an option in my opinion. The Hawks are even up against the cap even more next year, as reports state that Toews' $1.3M bonus for winning the Conn Smythe is to count against next year's cap.

http://twitter.com/tsnjamesduthie/status/15871135386

In fact, that and more will count against the cap - Chicago finished the season roughly 4 million over the cap as both Toews/Kane hit all their bonuses. Thus, their cap will be reduced by that amount for next year. I'm curious to see how much, if any, the Habs were over - I don't know enough about the bonus details in the contracts to make an estimate as to how much the Habs finished over by (I'd be pleasantly surprised if they stayed under). (Remember, LTIR didn't factor in for the Habs this year despite Markov being placed on it.)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hock...article1601162/

Would we be better with a Lombardi at 3M and 50-60 pts than a Plekanec at 5M and 60-70 pts? That's one of the scenario Gauthier will have to figure out.

Plus, lombardi on a line with cammalleri, we'd just need a 3rd italian for our Mafia line =)

Would we be better with a Lombardi at 3M and 50-60 pts than a Plekanec at 5M and 60-70 pts? That's one of the scenario Gauthier will have to figure out.

Plus, lombardi on a line with cammalleri, we'd just need a 3rd italian for our Mafia line =)

If the gap is at max 20 points, without question Lombardi's the better option if there's a $2 M difference between the players' asking prices. That can be used to shore up another area or put towards signing a younger player to a long(er)-term contract. Simply put, you can find a 20 point player for $2 M - if you want to factor in the fact that someone has to come out of the lineup, you may very well be able to find a 35-40 point player on the UFA market if you wait long enough.

Kind of a strange post, you want to trade Markov and bring in a top 4 Dman? I guarantee he won't be better than Markov. Also you said we should trade Markov because he is damaged goods. I'm guessing you don't play the stock market because selling low is a bad idea. Not sure how Marleau replaces Pleks AND the "AK's" (i assume you mean SK and AK).

Selling low or high is better than getting nothing in return. Wether it be Markov or Hamrlik when a player has passed his prime and is injury prone then management has a decisions to make. Now if we were to get a good return for Markov I would pull the trigger now rather than later. Let us also remind ourselves that we are in a salary cap era and we must be careful about the players we invest our money and our future with.

Edited by nikohab

20 days and counting re: Pleks.

We'll find out what Gauthier is made of very shortly.

I see Plex fielding offers on July 1st and then going to Gauthier and saying that he will sign if the Habs match it. Not exactly the best position for Gauthier to be in.

I hope Gauthier has a back up plan ready if Plex doesn't work out.

I see a lot of people licking their chops as they eye Chicago players in the off-season. I guess they want some of what Chicago has got, winning by osmosis. The truth of the matter is that Chicago needs cap space as much or more than we do. This makes us not the best trading partner. Secondly, Chicago players will want to get paid- Stanley Cup Players. High end pay. I am looking forward to Gauthier doing something distinctive but not destructive to convince me that he is actually running the club.

IMHO, I think if Plex doesn't resign as a habs, we are going to see the habs persuade Matthew Lombardi, who just came off a pretty solid season with Phoenix. I think he could find instant chemistry with Cammy; as they are ex-team mates :clap:

I think the Habs gambled last season hoping plex wouldn't rebound, spent a ton of cash (rightly/wrongly?) on Gionta, Gomez and Cammi and now they will not be able to compete for Plex...

That said, they still have some assets to deal for a solid first/second line center (pick(s) and/or young player (pacs, white) + Halak or Price)

they need size up the middle and should make that happen...

While I ultimately think the Habs want to sign Pleks and probably should go as high as 5.5 mil in their quest to do so, what I'd really like to see is the Habs showing some lateral thinking and doing something like trading the Kostitsyns to the Penguins in return for Jordan Staal. A move like that would create major holes on the wing, of course, and those holes would need to be fixed with further moves, but it would be interesting and worth trying in order to fix both the size issue and the long-standing sore at C. The Habs have certainly been courageous on the UFA market but we haven't seen a really bold, ambitious trade of that kind during the Gainey-Gauthier era. For better or worse, though, nothing in Gauthier's resume suggests much inclination to pursue that kind of strike. He's more the small-but-steady-improvement type.

Still, both Cup finalists this season are organizations that never fear to make a big, bold move. Maybe we could stand a bit of that as we fully enter an era of up-against-the-cap perambulations. If you're going to be a Chicago/Philly type of organization and take the cap-be-damned approach, maybe you need to be willing to take ballsy risks along with it.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

While I ultimately think the Habs want to sign Pleks and probably should go as high as 5.5 mil in their quest to do so, what I'd really like to see is the Habs showing some lateral thinking and doing something like trading the Kostitsyns to the Penguins in return for Jordan Staal. A move like that would create major holes on the wing, of course, and those holes would need to be fixed with further moves, but it would be interesting and worth trying in order to fix both the size issue and the long-standing sore at C. The Habs have certainly been courageous on the UFA market but we haven't seen a really bold, ambitious trade of that kind during the Gainey-Gauthier era. For better or worse, though, nothing in Gauthier's resume suggests much inclination to pursue that kind of strike. He's more the small-but-steady-improvement type.

Still, both Cup finalists this season are organizations that never fear to make a big, bold move. Maybe we could stand a bit of that as we fully enter an era of up-against-the-cap perambulations. If you're going to be a Chicago/Philly type of organization and take the cap-be-damned approach, maybe you need to be willing to take ballsy risks along with it.

Their no way the penguins would make that deal...it would at least take A. kostitsyn and a pick...even then i dont think they what AK...I think if we could of trade AK for any thing good he be gone by now...I love to have staal but unsure how much it would take to get him...If plexs cant be sign then we should make a run for staal,Carter or Sharp....

I think before I offered Moore a job, I would see if Madden would bite. He is a true shut down centre.

Agreed, but I think his price-tag will be substantially more than Moore's.

“Sure, you could go out and sign a guy like Tomas Plekanec to a contract worth $4.5 million (all terms US) per year, but then you’re going to hate yourself every day after that happens.”

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2010...2/14367671.html

I think that just about says it all as far a Plex is concerned. I think that he is going to be grossly overpaid and I don't want Montreal to be the one doing it. 3.5-4 Mil/year I could accept and more and I think we should let him walk.

Go PG GO

I think before I offered Moore a job, I would see if Madden would bite. He is a true shut down centre.

Older, and his new ring drives up the price tag. I like Madden a lot, but I don't think he would be as good a fit as Moore at this point, IMHO.

Madden wasn't even Chicago's shut down guy. Toews and Bolland did most of the heavy lifting defensively (at least 5 on 5) in their run.

Madden was already costing $2.75m last year, so if he somehow increased his value than signing him would be incredibly stupid for pretty much anyone.

BTW, that executive in that piece, he obviously remained anonymous for the piece, but isn't the mere mention of signing Plekanec be considered tampering (assuming the executive quoted wasn't from Montreal)?

BTW, that executive in that piece, he obviously remained anonymous for the piece, but isn't the mere mention of signing Plekanec be considered tampering (assuming the executive quoted wasn't from Montreal)?

By definition, it would be, yes.

TB doesn't really have anything worth trading Price for that they would be willing to give up. Maybe Downie, but I don't really like him. Plus, Price could fetch more.

How much do you think Zbynek Michalek can be signed for?

Edited by ForumGhost

TB 1 pick and Ryan Malone for price but i dont think TB would go for it...

I wouldn't really wanna get a 1st pick over a playable asset. If these playoffs have shown us anything, it's that we can go deep in the playoffs. With the right tweaks, maybe we can go deeper.

I wouldn't really wanna get a 1st pick over a playable asset. If these playoffs have shown us anything, it's that we can go deep in the playoffs. With the right tweaks, maybe we can go deeper.

well Ryan Malone would give us more sizes on the wing and the 1st pick(6th over all) could be package to get a top line C......but like i said i dont think TB would do it...I think chicago would take the pick and SK for Sharp...