Boucher

JacksonJ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not like it was coming from nowhere though. Everybody knew that Howson was waiting to talk with Boucher until makin his choice.

Why don't they bring Boucher up as an assistant coach in Montreal and look towards him eventually replacing Martin...

I don't get why they would let this guy slip out of our system.

Some Head coaches make poor assistants. Boucher's system is crazy different from Martin too. This is a tough one. I would certainly offer it to him if Muller leaves. I don't like Muller leaving either. These are two guys that have brought some hope and legitimacy to the organization. I sure hope Boucher says that one year in the AHL is not enough. 3 leagues in 3 years is a little crazy.

Anyone aware if Muller has received any offers from other teams? I read about New Jersey somewhere...

My co-worker grew up with Kirk and spoke with him recently. He alluded to how he'd like to be a head coach one day, but that he really likes working in Montreal.

It beats me why the Habs wouldn't counter with an offer to make him Martin's assistant. Who knows, maybe they have already, or will. It's worth a shot.

Why didn't the Habs just say "you can't have permission to talk to Boucher".

This team has a limited amount of candidates that can fill their head coach role because of their self imposed

language qualification. They find a guy who in his first year sets the AHL on fire, he speaks french, has a french

name and they are going to let him walk?

This team infuriates me sometimes.

Why didn't the Habs just say "you can't have permission to talk to Boucher".

This team has a limited amount of candidates that can fill their head coach role because of their self imposed

language qualification. They find a guy who in his first year sets the AHL on fire, he speaks french, has a french

name and they are going to let him walk?

This team infuriates me sometimes.

Every team do the same. When's the last time you heard that a team refused to let one of their employee seek for a better job in the NHL ? I think it never happened.

What do you tell to Boucher ? "You can't improve your situation in Columbus, we have plans for you very soon." And then, the Habs win the Cup under Martin next season... "Yeah, Guy... well... we're gonna go with Martin again... hope you're not mad... oh and by the way, you cannot speak with another team again, we have plans for you very soon."

Every team do the same. When's the last time you heard that a team refused to let one of their employee seek for a better job in the NHL ? I think it never happened.

What do you tell to Boucher ? "You can't improve your situation in Columbus, we have plans for you very soon." And then, the Habs win the Cup under Martin next season... "Yeah, Guy... well... we're gonna go with Martin again... hope you're not mad... oh and by the way, you cannot speak with another team again, we have plans for you very soon."

Yes, I think part of the principle at issue here is that you want to treat your people fairly and be a good organization, one that people want to work for. Presumably that serves the organization best in the long run. If you treat Boucher as chattel who is trapped by his contract and prevented from pursuing his life-long dream, he will rebel and your organization has turned into an oppressive exploiter of its own talent. Not the way to go.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yes, I think part of the principle at issue here is that you want to treat your people fairly and be a good organization, one that people want to work for. Presumably that serves the organization best in the long run. If you treat Boucher as chattel who is trapped by his contract and prevented from pursuing his life-long dream, he will rebel and your organization has turned into an oppressive exploiter of its own talent. Not the way to go.

I am glad they don't treat players this way.

I am glad they don't treat players this way.

Players already reached their maimum job potential by being in the NHL though.

Right decision would be to let go of Martin and promote Boucher.

That's a lot of money to be on the books, considering that Carbo still gets his paycheque from the Molsons this upcoming year. Factor in that Boucher is an unproven coach with only one successful AHL campaign under his belt, that Martin coached the Habs to the Eastern Conference Finals and I don't think you're going to see Boucher behind the bench in Montreal this year. Hopefully we'll see him a few years down the line.

Why did they let them talk? Its called class...

If they want to keep him, make him an offer that makes him want to stay. Blocking him is something Bettman would do if he ran a team (oh wait, he runs Phoenix now.. .)

Martin has a long track record of regular season success in the NHL and just worked miracles for us in these playoffs. We just hired him to a 4-year deal and he took us farther than any coach has taken this team in 17 years. How can you justify firing him?

Boucher has zero NHL experience even as an assistant, and just one season in the AHL. How can you justify making him your NHL head coach right away?

How can you justify firing Martin for Boucher?

After a string of rookie coaches performing with mixed results, the Habs finally managed to get their hands on a Quebecker with a long resume and good reputation and he will be dumped after one season (a season in which the Habs were the 28th team to get eliminated from the Cup journey) for another rookie coach who will most likely go through the same growing pains we experienced with Therrien, Julien, Carbonneau? Not justifiable.

Martin has a long track record of regular season success in the NHL and just worked miracles for us in these playoffs. We just hired him to a 4-year deal and he took us farther than any coach has taken this team in 17 years. How can you justify firing him?

Boucher has zero NHL experience even as an assistant, and just one season in the AHL. How can you justify making him your NHL head coach right away?

How can you justify firing Martin for Boucher?

After a string of rookie coaches performing with mixed results, the Habs finally managed to get their hands on a Quebecker with a long resume and good reputation and he will be dumped after one season (a season in which the Habs were the 28th team to get eliminated from the Cup journey) for another rookie coach who will most likely go through the same growing pains we experienced with Therrien, Julien, Carbonneau? Not justifiable.

I think Martin is a franco Ontarian, but you're absolutely right though. I must admit that I'm not a fan of Martin's style of coaching and that I am excited to see what Guy Boucher's philosophy could bring to an NHL team, but I don't think it will be the Montreal Canadiens before another season, AT LEAST. I just hope that Columbus will go with Dineen or someone else so we can keep Boucher in our farm.

If I was running a team, I would want a bit more on the resume than one year of pro hockey. I don't know. I know he was amazing last year, but if I was making the decisions, and wanted a new perspective on my team, I would still hire someone with a bit more experience. I will be surprised if Boucher is an NHL head coach next season

Here we go again! Boucher has a good season and know we must do anything possible to sign him in order to make him our next coach. Haven't we yet learned from our past that hiring rookie coaches such as Vignealt, Therrien, Carbonneau was the wrong direction. Therefor Bob Gainey finally addresses the problem by hiring a mature and experienced coach in Jacque Martin who also led the habs to an unbelievable playoff run and here we go again talking about replacing a sound coach for the rookie Boucher.

Edited by nikohab

Here we go again! Boucher has a good season and know we must do anything possible to sign him in order to make him our next coach. Haven't we yet learned from our past that hiring rookie coaches such as Vignealt, Therrien, Carbonneau was the wrong direction. Therefor Bob Gainey finally addresses the problem by hiring a mature and experienced coach in Jacque Martin who also led the habs to an unbelievable playoff run and here we go again talking about replacing a sound coach for the rookie Boucher.

I don't think any of those coaches were the wrong direction. Just didnt have the team to work with.

It's so good of you to write these responses for me.

It's so good of you to write these responses for me.

Is this the extended edition of "+1" ? :D

Edited by JoeLassister

I would put more faith in the 82 game schedule as opposed to a play-off run in indicating the prowlness of any club. When you say unbelievable playoff run, it is unbelievable because of what they looked like during the season. We should be aspiring for a Stanley Cup every year, and though going a few rounds in the playoffs is a bonus that we haven't seen in awhile, it still falls short of expectations. I will remind you that we whimped into the playoffs.