Russian Content

BlueKross

Because things are slow over here, I would to enter a comment from another board to get the ball rolling. The gist of the comment was that Philly and Chicago carry no Russian players. One of these teams is going to win, and be the model for franchises going forward. I would like to add that neither one carries a bevy of SMURFS, all on the same team. That should do it.

Let's be honest europeans or russians cannot be expected to share the same passion for winning the stanley cup as the north americans do. Other than Detriot I can't think of another team that will seriously challenge for the stanley cup. Everybody can argue as much as they want but in my imaginary roster I would have over 95% north americans. Besudes the KHL is offering money so I hope that they fly to the east so we can watch real canadian hockey like it used to be. :clap:

I personaly like to watch european and russian players play for the NHL but not to this degree where we have been flooded with foreign players who on the majority don't share the passion of winning the stanley cup which is arguably the hardest trophy in sports to win. Therefor I'm actualy glad that the KHL has emerged so that a number of these players can now play for the KHL where they play passionately for. This way we can be drafting our boys and the quality of our game can be more exciting and entertaining. :clap:

Edited by nikohab

Because things are slow over here, I would to enter a comment from another board to get the ball rolling. The gist of the comment was that Philly and Chicago carry no Russian players. One of these teams is going to win, and be the model for franchises going forward. I would like to add that neither one carries a bevy of SMURFS, all on the same team. That should do it.

Briere and Kane are small but both are highly skilled. I think that Gionta, Gomez and Cam are in the same mold. The problem is having too many small players in the same team. Still, we can't say that our three smurfs did not do the job during the playoffs. In fact, our bigger players were the ones who disappointed the most, IMO.

Briere and Kane are small but both are highly skilled. I think that Gionta, Gomez and Cam are in the same mold. The problem is having too many small players in the same team. Still, we can't say that our three smurfs did not do the job during the playoffs. In fact, our bigger players were the ones who disappointed the most, IMO.

I think we are getting to it. The second tier of players which you referred to our bigger players are actually smaller in size and by your own comment played smaller than the Flyers. Correct. Secondly, we have to many Russian picks that will be drawing pension cheques before they see N.A

So... this year...

Remember last year? Who won playoff MVP?

Also how would this alter our team? We have one player from Russia, and I doubt dumping Markov would put us over the top. Maybe tone down on the Don Cherry for a few days. And as far as your smurf comment goes, our "smurfs" were our best players so how would dumping them benefit us.

So your model of our team would be no Markov, Cammi, Gio, Gomez, Pleks. Good call :wacko:

So... this year...

Remember last year? Who won playoff MVP?

Also how would this alter our team? We have one player from Russia, and I doubt dumping Markov would put us over the top. Maybe tone down on the Don Cherry for a few days. And as far as your smurf comment goes, our "smurfs" were our best players so how would dumping them benefit us.

So your model of our team would be no Markov, Cammi, Gio, Gomez, Pleks. Good call :wacko:

I don't have a problem with Russian players in their ability. I have a problem with wasting picks (early picks) with players that you may never see no matter how good they may be. Yes I do believe we are undersized and need to get some big guys up front. Currently, I don't see anyone out their that can replace Plec unless you make a trade. I don't see the point of letting him go then having to use another asset such as a goalie to refurbish that position. I keep Cammi and Gomez and trade Gionta .

Also note that neither of these teams has strong goaltending. Yet one of them will win the cup. We need to stop wasting picks on goaltenders. Lets dump both Price and Halak (neither has ever reached a cup final) and try finding some more average to below average tenders.

We all agree that the Habs haven't done too great with first-round picks, and we all agree that a bit more size up front would be nice. What I don't get is how this translates into an argument that we should only be drafting big guys from now on. Obviously, if there are two equally skilled guys, you go with the bigger one. But beyond that, surely you have to pick the player who is most likely to do best in the NHL.

We all agree that the Habs haven't done too great with first-round picks, and we all agree that a bit more size up front would be nice. What I don't get is how this translates into an argument that we should only be drafting big guys from now on. Obviously, if there are two equally skilled guys, you go with the bigger one. But beyond that, surely you have to pick the player who is most likely to do best in the NHL.

I started this blog as a precurser for the up coming draft. You have said nothing here that I disagree with other than the fact that I said you can only draft big guys. Thats not correct, I never said that. My concern is having TOO MANY littlle guys. You have Trotter and Desharnais knocking at the door. Unless you see someone with elite skills, I don't see an opening even 3-4 years down the line, unless you clear the deck.

Let's be honest europeans or russians cannot be expected to share the same passion for winning the stanley cup as the north americans do.

I disagree. Young Swedish hockey players don't dream about the Olympics or the World Cup anymore, they dream of the Stanley Cup.

I disagree. Young Swedish hockey players don't dream about the Olympics or the World Cup anymore, they dream of the Stanley Cup.

You can say the same anout Finnish players as well!

As far as our size up front is concerned, I love all three of our smaller guys(Camms, Gio and Scotty G.) However, they need to be surrounded by bigger guys. Look at brière in Philly. He's surrounded by behemoths, and it encourages him to play bigger. And he knows that if the game does get a little rougher out there, his team mates will defend him against the other bigger guys out there!

Let's be honest europeans or russians cannot be expected to share the same passion for winning the stanley cup as the north americans do. Other than Detriot I can't think of another team that will seriously challenge for the stanley cup. Everybody can argue as much as they want but in my imaginary roster I would have over 95% north americans. Besudes the KHL is offering money so I hope that they fly to the east so we can watch real canadian hockey like it used to be. :clap:

I dunno Niko... did you see that commercial of all the speechless reactions of Stanley Cup winning players over the years? Seemed to me like Teemu Selanne was showing some emotion and passion there....

I never said that eoropean/russian players aren't passionate about the stanley cup rather what I said was that they aren't as passionate as our north american players are. Just look at how many of these russian/eoropean players are signing with the KHL and in return making NHL teams feel very leary and risky about drafting these players. I'm not attacking these players because I understand that they also must be proud to play for their country I just want to support our boys who are also proud to play for our country. :clap:

Edited by nikohab