Guy Boucher with Tampa Bay

JoeLassister

Quoted on RDS.ca as well, was revealed at La Zone (sports show).

Refused Columbus offer just to go with the Lightning. Waited like 10 minutes before posting, but now a few websites have it as well...

Quoted on RDS.ca as well, was revealed at La Zone (sports show).

Refused Columbus offer just to go with the Lightning. Waited like 10 minutes before posting, but now a few websites have it as well...

BAH! :angry:

On the bright side, he will gain valuable NHL experience at someone else's expense. We can still hire him in a few years when he is ready to coach a real team. :)

Or the Lightning could improve quickly and the Habs struggle and Martin could be fired and we are forced to

hire Bob Hartley because he speaks french.

On the bright side, he will gain valuable NHL experience at someone else's expense. We can still hire him in a few years when he is ready to coach a real team. :)

Lecavalier

St Louis

Stamkos

Hedman

Yzerman (GM)

I'd take that slate of talent to work with any day of the week TYVM.

Lecavalier

St Louis

Stamkos

Hedman

Yzerman (GM)

I'd take that slate of talent to work with any day of the week TYVM.

I hear the weather ain't bad in TB either.

You can't have it both ways.. there was no way he was staying unless we hired him as the coach.. Which means we would have 5000 threads next year about having another rookie coach.. blah blah blah..

just because he is leaving doesn't mean he won't one day be the Habs coach.. he could very well be fired in 2 years from Tampa (in fact, odds are he will be based on the lifespan of the typical rookie coach).

As for that raft of talent down in Tampa, they were 12th in the east last year. The year before, they were 14th... I guess they are on a real upswing.... :)

You can't have it both ways.. there was no way he was staying unless we hired him as the coach.. Which means we would have 5000 threads next year about having another rookie coach.. blah blah blah..

just because he is leaving doesn't mean he won't one day be the Habs coach.. he could very well be fired in 2 years from Tampa (in fact, odds are he will be based on the lifespan of the typical rookie coach).

As for that raft of talent down in Tampa, they were 12th in the east last year. The year before, they were 14th... I guess they are on a real upswing.... :)

In 2007, the Blackhawks picked 1st overall.

Boucher got a 4 year contract. The Lightning are still currently paying John Tortorella, Barry Melrose, and Rick Tocchet to be ex-coaches, plus Jay Feaster and Brian Lawton to be ex-GMs. I think Boucher will get more than 2 years.

Things turn rapidly in the salary cap NHL.

In 2008 the Stars/Canes made the Final four and in the two seasons since the LA Kings, Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks missed the playoffs at least once. In 2008 the lowly Washington Capitals qualified for the playoffs by 2 points.

In 2010 the Stars/Canes missed the playoffs and the Blackhawks are 1 win away from the Stanley Cup and the Capitals finished 1st overall in theNHL.

Boucher is no dummy and knows that the core of a great team is already in Tampa.

Don't be surprised if the Islanders, Lightning and Oilers are better than the Habs in 2012.

When Boucher is receiving all the credit for the Lightning's turnaround the rants on this board about Boucher will be a daily occurance.

Edited by Wamsley01

Ya, well, whatever. Watch the Lightning beat us out of a playoff spot next year. He's 38, if he's as good as we all expect, he can coach for the next 25 years. I suppose we'll get him one day.

I'm certain Vigneault (sic), Therrien, and Julian were good coaches and highly regarded as well. We have all been complaining about needing experienced coaching, and that's what we have. Martin showed some adaptability in the playoffs, so if you are Habs management, you have to stay with status quo.

The only thing that concerns me is that Guy's sports psycology degree, and his ability to work with gen Y people will make him great in my opinion. No offense to Gen Ys on the board, but I have seen a noticable difference in our generations. I really think Guy will be a good coach. A good motivator if nothing else. Sometimes with professionals, that is a leaders strongest value!

Edited by BCHabnut

Is it actually "official" yet. Several things I've read said it's still in negotiations. I know that it's more than likely just a matter of time, but there hasn't been any confirmation anywhere.

Is it actually "official" yet. Several things I've read said it's still in negotiations. I know that it's more than likely just a matter of time, but there hasn't been any confirmation anywhere.

Still in negotiations, apparently Boucher's asking for the moon (and a couple of other planets as well). For a rookie coach, he's certainly commanding a lot.

Well, it's a 3 man negotiation (since he's taking both his assistants with him from Hamilton), so that's likely slowed it down a bit. I heard it's 4 years as well, which is one more than what C-bus gave Arniel and the same length vet guys like Martin and Wilson got. It's a bit more involved than the typical rookie coach hire.

Well, it's a 3 man negotiation (since he's taking both his assistants with him from Hamilton), so that's likely slowed it down a bit. I heard it's 4 years as well, which is one more than what C-bus gave Arniel and the same length vet guys like Martin and Wilson got. It's a bit more involved than the typical rookie coach hire.

He's cocky. He better back it up!

I guess it's more a matter of not making the announcement the day that the Stanley Cup might be awarded..

Plus, the contracts negos and the official news is not gonna be leaked to the media until the press conference.

Good for Boucher and good for the habs! This way Boucher can get a few years of NHL experience with Tampa and then we take him back a few years later when Jacque Martin resigns or gets promoted to GM. A perfect hit! :clap:

Good for Boucher and good for the habs! This way Boucher can get a few years of NHL experience with Tampa and then we take him back a few years later when Jacque Martin resigns or gets promoted to GM. A perfect hit! :clap:

Martin promoted to GM - I think I'm going to lose my dinner :puke: