Halak traded to the St. Louis Blues

Easy Ryder

Lebrun tweeted that we're getting Lars Eller and Ian Schultz.... that would be disappointing, at least upon initial review.

This is BullSh*T!

Ballsy but stupid!!!! Even if these guys turn out to be great players - all we get is friggin prospects???? Guy's who we are rolling the dice on. A 1st rounder from 2007, who hasn't cracked the lineup and a 3rd round prospect. I don't care if Eller or Schultz turn out to be 40 goal scorers, that was the best PG could do????? :angry:

Edited by hab29RETIRED

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Eller was a winger, not a centre. Could be wrong, though.

He's a very attractive prospect, though. Big, highly skilled. Top Danish prospect in my opinion (better than Boedker).

Schultz was very good for Calgary in the WHL. A top player for them in their WHL championship drive. Former teammate of Ryan White's. 6'3", 208 lb winger. Schultz was the Hitmen's captain. He's quite tough.

Thought Eller was a winger, not a centre. Could be wrong, though.

He's a very attractive prospect, though. Big, highly skilled. Top Danish prospect in my opinion (better than Boedker).

Schultz was very good for Calgary in the WHL. A top player for them in their WHL championship drive. Former teammate of Ryan White's. 6'3", 208 lb winger. Schultz was the Hitmen's captain. He's quite tough.

doesn't matter - there was no way either goalie should have been traded unless it was a complete home run - there was NO REASON to make this deal AT THIS time. :wacko:

We should have been able to get a proven NHLer - a YOUNG proven NHLer!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

BTW, Eller played 7 games for St. Louis last year, scored twice. Not a lot of NHL experience, but he has that cup of coffee out of the way.

57 points in his rookie AHL year in 70 games. 29 points in 48 games in the Swedish Elite League at age 19.

on paper this looks like a good deal, the last 3 playoff runs the Habs got bounced, rather easily by teams that could skate with them and had way more size. only concern now is the contract negotiations with Price, does his agent dig in his heels now that CP has once again been handed the #1 job, my money is on YES.

My phone won't stop beeping from my anti-habs friends sending text messages that read hahahahaha

I'm not surprised - I feel like crying :puke:

I have to say it... I LOVE IT!

Great move by the Habs!

Not only do they keep the better goalie (long term, not for the previous 6 months) but they get an EXCELLENT player in Lars Eller.

Schultz will be a great fit for a Moen - Laps line and Lars Eller can step right into our line-up. I love it!

Eller is a stud. Great trade. And now we have a few more $$ to spend.

From TSNBobMcKenzie http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Eller is a good prospect. Good combination of skill and edge. 3 minutes ago via web

Only surprise to me was ZERO contact between MTL/Halak once season ended. Only contact was J Martin phoning Halak today to say, U r traded.. 4 minutes ago via web

Sources say PHI, TB and SJ were others pitching hard on Halak, What's clear now is that, in spite of playoffs, Price was and is MTL's guy. 7 minutes ago via web

Danish prospect Lars Eller, who played in Peoria this season, and Calgary Hitmen forward Ian Schultz go to MTL for Halak. 20 minutes ago via web

That said, St. Louis could take Halak to arbitration and get a one year award. He is two years away from becoming an UFA. 24 minutes ago via web

The amazing thing about the Halak trade is that no contract talks were conducted by MTL or STL with the goalie. Halak has KHL suitors. 25 minutes ago via web

Halak to the St. Louis Blues. Done deal. 42 minutes ago via UberTwitter

this come back to you dont get much for a goalie, i said this a couple of days of go and guys what us to get guys like carter and stamkos lol..thats not going to happen..this comes back to halak ask for a trade last year,talk of going to khl, now he whats big cash...

its a ok deal, looks like a good young pick Eller is a good prospect and Schultz looks like a good 4th/ 3rd liner...

I suspect that this was Gauthier's plan to make some cap room (due to Halak's obvious raise). I wish he could have gotten more though. We sign a veteran backup for cheap and give Price some more work next year.

I hope that this isn't a negative sign about Plekanec though. Is Ellis a proposed replacement for Moore or for Plex?

So our GM didn't even talk to Halak and his agent about what they would want. Nice.. so they basically traded him away for a decent prospect and a throw in, without talking to him. Wow.. or waiting until closer to the draft to see what else we could get...

As for who will be the better goalie, I don't know how people can claim Price IS the better goalie. That is a hope, but not a fact.

I would have much preferred them to sit with each goalie and see if they could make a deal. Even a one year deal with the view that one would be traded mid-year.

Frankly, if this is how the habs GM staff treat the players, no wonder some of them want out of town. If getting the team to the conference final when you started the year as the backup doesn't get you a ######ing courtesy call regarding your contract, then the class factor of this org is dropping rapidly.

Thanks Jaro.. what a season.. your gear is on the steps.. get out.

Now lets go out and get Price a mentor. Turco would be a good guy, but i doubt we can get him for cheap. But the Habs need a veteran to teach Price. If Price had that he would be a perfect goalie. It would be a guy who could teach him to deal with the crowd and someone to talk to.

I suspect that this was Gauthier's plan to make some cap room (due to Halak's obvious raise). I wish he could have gotten more though. We sign a veteran backup for cheap and give Price some more work next year.

I hope that this isn't a negative sign about Plekanec though. Is Ellis a proposed replacement for Moore or for Plex?

Ya, but now Price can bargain higher and get more money. He should have signed Price, then dealt Halk!

this come back to you dont get much for a goalie, i said this a couple of days of go and guys what us to get guys like carter and stamkos lol..thats not going to happen..this comes back to halak ask for a trade last year,talk of going to khl, now he whats big cash...

its a ok deal, looks like a good young pick Eller is a good prospect and Schultz looks like a good 4th/ 3rd liner...

The point to that discussion was that you don't trade a cheap prospect with real potential (Price) for mid tier prospects. We should hang on to Price unless a team is willing to offer up a Stamkos type player not that it is Price's actual value.

Apparently Eller was a beast in the AHL last year at even strength. He's drawing comparisons as the next Mikko Koivu.

We just got two big young forwards for the next five years or so for a goalie who could have been gone within two.

I think we could have gotten Perron had we tried to get him! I know it's really early to make comparisons, but I get the feeling the habs will be taking it up the ass once again!

Price better not get a 3 to 4 million dollar contract or I will be fuming! Dealing Halak frees up cash, but if it all goes to sgning Price, what's the point?

Price is in absolutely no position to be asking for that kind of manye...especially not after the year he just had. He'll get 1.5 million per year. TOPS!

Edited by Habsfan

Some danish idiot and goon from calgary. way to go gauthier

Why does their ethnicity matter?

By the way, Eller is a legitimate prospect, borderline blue-chip. I had never heard of Schultz but he seems like he would have a chance of cracking the Habs roster next season as a 4th liner or cheap 13th forward and maybe working his way up from there.

doesn't matter - there was no way either goalie should have been traded unless it was a complete home run - there was NO REASON to make this deal AT THIS time. :wacko:

We should have been able to get a proven NHLer - a YOUNG proven NHLer!

The salary cap is all the reason we need. This trade allows Montreal to re-sign Plekanec - you know, their leading scorer. I also was hoping for a slam dunk - a Sharp, or Carter, or Horton or Backes - but this trade satisfies me. Eller appears to be NHL ready and has as much potential as any of those guys. And it's not like he's a Benoit Pouliot, a high prospect who appears to be a bust, he's a high prospect that's progressing just fine. Eller is probably now the best prospect in our system, better than Pacioretty.

Schultz seems like a bigger Tom Pyatt.

Schultz is really a bigger Ryan White. He'll drop 'em and probably win. Schultz will be in Hamilton for sure, though.

Eller was pencilled in by Blues fans on their 2nd/3rd line for next year. So he could be in that same role for Montreal next year.

Ethnicity doesn't matter. Denmark has an amazing hockey program...world class. the list of danish superstars is unsurpassed. If he was an NHL proven Japanese guy, i wouldn't care, but he is a prospect. I would put more faith in a prospect that came from a country with a developement program. Plus I was mad. I'm thinking Backes or Oshie or Perron, and we get a bag of bucks and a water bottle. Like I said, Price has more bargaining power now. They should have locked him up first, then tradedd Halak.