Halak traded to the St. Louis Blues

Easy Ryder

That is indeed a terrific article. :clap: Biron, Ellis, and Mason all strike me as solid options, especially the first and third as they can play a lot of games if needed. (Theodore is a really interesting idea, but do we really want that circus?) When you look at the projected cap hits and the respectable quality and quantity of credible backups/#1A guys out there, you realize the cap-managment wisdom of choosing to move the likely-to-be-more-expensive Halak. A Price/Mason-or-Biron platoon should give good results.

At first glance you think it should be Biron, if only to take some heat off for the Halak deal. But then you stop to think - hold on, if Price hits a rough patch, can you imagine the media howls for French Superstar Biron to take over the reins as #1, and the concomitant bile spewed Price's way? (It'd be even worse with Theo).

Might be better to avoid all that and go with stolidly anglo Mason, probably the best of these choices off the top of my head.

Thanks for the praise (and to the others above). I bow to you though for the appropriate use of the word concomitant, nice word. :clap:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is indeed a terrific article. :clap: Biron, Ellis, and Mason all strike me as solid options, especially the first and third as they can play a lot of games if needed. (Theodore is a really interesting idea, but do we really want that circus?) When you look at the projected cap hits and the respectable quality and quantity of credible backups/#1A guys out there, you realize the cap-managment wisdom of choosing to move the likely-to-be-more-expensive Halak. A Price/Mason-or-Biron platoon should give good results.

At first glance you think it should be Biron, if only to take some heat off for the Halak deal. But then you stop to think - hold on, if Price hits a rough patch, can you imagine the media howls for French Superstar Biron to take over the reins as #1, and the concomitant bile spewed Price's way? (It'd be even worse with Theo).

Might be better to avoid all that and go with stolidly anglo Mason, probably the best of these choices off the top of my head.

You raise a lot of good points, but I personally feel that Mason will be looking for more than what the Habs will offer. I do think that he's the best of the bunch though, and I would be thrilled if we landed him (and he could join the ex-Blues club that seems to be popping up).

And I'm with Brian; nice word. ^_^

I can't believe some of you are suggesting a Jeff Carter for Halak deal. Never in a million years. He should have been on Team Canada instead of Bergeron.

And yes, if there was ever a way to thank Jaro Halak (other than sending a message through Alan Walsh's Twitter feed) for his years of service to the CH, I too would like to do so. He worked hard, played very well, and became a leader on the team. Thank you very much, Jaro. :hlogo:

He had 29 points in the top swedish league as a 19 year old... Id value him about as high as Oliver Ekman-Larsson with that kinda stats. And that is 29 points on a swedish TOP TEAM as a 19 year old. Not like he was their no1 center.

I am very happy with this trade. I dont think Halak was worth any more anyway, its not like he has Martin Brodeur value. Lars Eller might be even better than a 1st round pick since he is if not already at least nearly NHL ready.

Edited by Dalhabs

I hope we resign Pleks (or pick up another 2nd line center). Let Eller start on the 3rd line, don't rush him into the limelight.

We certianly still need Plex. I will be all over it if they don't get him signed or moved for value. I am starting to warm up to our new GM. One of the goalies had to be moved soon. I believe they got a good return for Halak. I would have traded Price, but that is just me. I had both Schultz and Eller on the radar when they were drafted. It is interesting that the currency seems to be prospects as opposed to players or picks. I personnally believe that prospects are of greater value because you have more evaluation time. You have a better idea what you are going to get. Picks are more like holding a lottery ticket. You lose more than you win.

I had (quietly) thought before the trade was announced yesterday, that Montreal might try and deal Price to St. Louis, possibly for David Perron. But Gauthier has obviously hitched his team's wagon to Price, and we all had better hope that Price can handle that pressure and rise up to make everyone forget Halak's 2009-10 season and post season. If Halak turns out to be the next Steve Penny, then the media and fans will not care too much. If he turns out to be the next Tomas Vokoun (a solid, sometimes spectactular, but never a top 5 goalie in the league), then the trade could still be a wash for both sides so long as Eller progresses into a solid top-6 forward. However, if he rises to the league's goalie echelon, and improves on last season and the Blues become a contending club in the West, then the media & fan pressure will likely cause Price to cave/implode, and the Habs will again be looking to develop/trade for another goalie.

Now, I'm sure Perron's name was mentioned during the discussions with the Blues management, but I'm ecstatic to be getting a player like Eller in return, and happy with Schultz, who is more of a longer term project. I was reading this article on Eller, which was dated around the middle of last season, and wanted to share it with you all. I love the compete factor that Eller has, to go with the skill and speed he possesses. Everyone has to have some patience with him, since the guy is still adjusting to playing in North America and is still learning English (by watching The Simpson on TV !). Even if he is not a starter with the Habs this fall, I am sure it will not take long before he's up with the big club to stay.

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/fe...gressing-peori/

You don't put an offensive guy on the 3rd line to learn how to play. If he is making the team it will be on the 2nd line with Cammi and someone else. Or he will be the top center in Hamilton. He needs the ice time with offensive players, not with Moen and Lapierre.

Brobin, I'll remind you that BOTH goalies were blown out by the Flyers, they had the same record against the Flyers and Halak played behind a much better team.

The real difference between Price and Halak last year was goals for, almost 1 more goal per game for Halak then Price. That equals more wins. (As Wamsley pointa out).

So Price is the goalie of the near future, get over it. PG got what he could and in my opinion he got a real good deal for players that will help in the near future, Eller as soon as next year perhaps. PG addressed size and grit.

I don't think he done yet.

Seriously, the more I think about it the more I love this trade.

Save some money to go out and make a couple more moves...

I'm hoping they make a deal for Horton now.. and sign Frolov... great first line with Cammy!

I like the idea of..

Cammy - Horton - Frolov

Gionta - Gomez - Eller

Moen - Moore - Laps

You don't put an offensive guy on the 3rd line to learn how to play. If he is making the team it will be on the 2nd line with Cammi and someone else. Or he will be the top center in Hamilton. He needs the ice time with offensive players, not with Moen and Lapierre.

Brobin, I'll remind you that BOTH goalies were blown out by the Flyers, they had the same record against the Flyers and Halak played behind a much better team.

The real difference between Price and Halak last year was goals for, almost 1 more goal per game for Halak then Price. That equals more wins. (As Wamsley pointa out).

So Price is the goalie of the near future, get over it. PG got what he could and in my opinion he got a real good deal for players that will help in the near future, Eller as soon as next year perhaps. PG addressed size and grit.

He's a two-way type, and I think he can handle some of the tougher minutes. I don't necessarily want Eller signed to play with Moen and Lapierre, but the goal should be to have 3 lines capable of scoring. Guys like Pacioretty, Desharnais and Trotter could be in the mix for forward spots as well as Eller.

Maybe, i think the Gomez line stays intact with Pouliot. Hopefully he will have a good season.

I think Cammi will play with Eller and a LW not on the current roster. I think Pleks is gone.

I do likr Trotter, will probably be atleast the forst top 6 callup.

They would have room in that scenario to get a top LW and possibly resign Moore.

Pyatt Moore Moen

LW lapierre White.

But i have been wrong many times, i just see the need to over pay on Pleks with Eller basically NHL ready.

I read some Blues fans posts on a site and they all saif Eller is NHl ready and was scheduled to be the # 2 center there this year.

Sorry i don't see the nned to over pay on Pleks. Missed a word there.

Maybe, i think the Gomez line stays intact with Pouliot. Hopefully he will have a good season.

I think Cammi will play with Eller and a LW not on the current roster. I think Pleks is gone.

I do likr Trotter, will probably be atleast the forst top 6 callup.

They would have room in that scenario to get a top LW and possibly resign Moore.

Pyatt Moore Moen

LW lapierre White.

But i have been wrong many times, i just see the need to over pay on Pleks with Eller basically NHL ready.

I read some Blues fans posts on a site and they all saif Eller is NHl ready and was scheduled to be the # 2 center there this year.

Sorry i don't see the nned to over pay on Pleks. Missed a word there.

i think your right...puting eller between cammi and another good winger could make this look like the best trade ever....( Kovalchuk,Frolov,Kariya..etc)or maybe trade for a guy..

The backlash against this move from the Gazette was predictable but, nevertheless, disappointing. Red Fisher calls this the most brain-dead move in years yet he gives no argument other than "did you see that save Halak made versus Washington? They have to keep him!" He explicitly says that he doesn't care what they got in return for him. He doesn't care about the salary cap either, apparently. I'm kind of surprised an 80+ year old can think back no further than the most recent month of hockey.

Anyway - the bottom line of the trade is that it was Plekanec or Halak. We chose Plekanec because we have no replacement for him in the system but we do have a replacement for Halak that the organization has a lot of confidence in (as do I). I also found the return slightly underwhelming at first but when's the last time a goalie yielded so much in a trade? The only other cases that come to mind are Mike Smith+ for Brad Richards (this one is hard to judge because of Richards's massive contract) and Cujo + Mike Grier for two first round picks.

Also, Eller really is a great prospect. Re-sign Plekanec and Center becomes our position of strength.

Some danish idiot and goon from calgary. way to go gauthier

Hahahaha! What an idiotic comment. :blink:

I'm glad you don't have a gun... that comment is like shooting first and then finding out what's going on... :unsure:

Edited by shortcat1

There is no doubt that with the departure of Halak, Price will now face more pressure than he may be able to handle. I am completely confident that Price will prove that all of them guttless bastards were wrong. As for the return for trading Halak I have to say that I am pleased because we now have more depth, size and we also save money on the cap which is very important in this new NHL. Now I hope that we can dump some more players and save money and use it wisely and help out our defence. :clap:

Could a goalie REALLY face more pressure than one does already in Montreal? We'll see how the fans come out in September, if they get on Price for any little mistake, then hey we'll know this title of 'worlds best fans' that we seem to claim will be unwarranted.

The backlash against this move from the Gazette was predictable but, nevertheless, disappointing. Red Fisher calls this the most brain-dead move in years yet he gives no argument other than "did you see that save Halak made versus Washington? They have to keep him!" He explicitly says that he doesn't care what they got in return for him. He doesn't care about the salary cap either, apparently. I'm kind of surprised an 80+ year old can think back no further than the most recent month of hockey.

Anyway - the bottom line of the trade is that it was Plekanec or Halak. We chose Plekanec because we have no replacement for him in the system but we do have a replacement for Halak that the organization has a lot of confidence in (as do I). I also found the return slightly underwhelming at first but when's the last time a goalie yielded so much in a trade? The only other cases that come to mind are Mike Smith+ for Brad Richards (this one is hard to judge because of Richards's massive contract) and Cujo + Mike Grier for two first round picks.

Also, Eller really is a great prospect. Re-sign Plekanec and Center becomes our position of strength.

I agree. You can certainly criticize this trade, but Fisher didn't seem to take seriously ANY the variables the Habs were dealing with. Sad to say, but the great man is clearly now just reposing in his armchair spouting off. People who are familiar with Eller seem to be a lot more positive of this deal. Alas, the Gazette hacks aren't among those.

But part of the problem is that I don't subscribe to the dominant media narrative that Halak single-handedly stole two series. I agree that he delivered an all-time great performance in Game 6 vs. Washington. Other than that, we saw a goalie who made the most out of a team playing a bizarre defensive system that surrendered a lot puck possession and a lot of shots, but made a point of surrendering very few rebounds or really dangerous chances from in close. This is not to denigrade Halak's performance by any means; it's just to say that the Habs enhanced his performance, not unlike the way Philly's choke-hold make Leighton look like a Conn Smythe candidate. (Of course Halak is 2x the goalie Leighton is; I'm drawing an analogy here). I believe the Habs held their own against washington and were the better TEAM against Pittsburgh. But if you just accept that halak won everything by himself, then I suppose you would freak out over this trade.

Halak had to go..good sale when value highest...Habs got no cash (Gionta, Gomes, Cammi) ...seems like a decent return with low salary implications...there are tons of good goalies looking for work...we'll be fine in the pipes....If Price sucks, he only has himself to blame...

Need to get scoring and another defenseman...

Hahahaha! What an idiotic comment. :blink:

I'm glad you don't have a gun... that comment is like shooting first and then finding out what's going on... :unsure:

I explained myself 3 times. get over it.

we don't seem to agree alot, but you hit this one perfectly.

Sweetheart starts for Halak made him look great, so he could be traded.... mission accomplished !

I agree. You can certainly criticize this trade, but Fisher didn't seem to take seriously ANY the variables the Habs were dealing with. Sad to say, but the great man is clearly now just reposing in his armchair spouting off. People who are familiar with Eller seem to be a lot more positive of this deal. Alas, the Gazette hacks aren't among those.

But part of the problem is that I don't subscribe to the dominant media narrative that Halak single-handedly stole two series. I agree that he delivered an all-time great performance in Game 6 vs. Washington. Other than that, we saw a goalie who made the most out of a team playing a bizarre defensive system that surrendered a lot puck possession and a lot of shots, but made a point of surrendering very few rebounds or really dangerous chances from in close. This is not to denigrade Halak's performance by any means; it's just to say that the Habs enhanced his performance, not unlike the way Philly's choke-hold make Leighton look like a Conn Smythe candidate. (Of course Halak is 2x the goalie Leighton is; I'm drawing an analogy here). I believe the Habs held their own against washington and were the better TEAM against Pittsburgh. But if you just accept that halak won everything by himself, then I suppose you would freak out over this trade.

Right. The Habs played their best hockey of the season in those games that Halak got peppered with shots. There are a lot of people suggesting that Halak is an elite goalie in the NHL, a Roy. I think he's closer to another Huet. He'll sign for 5 million, have a good season and eventually settle out to be an average starting goalie.

It's just disappointing that the city's professional hockey pundits can only react to this trade emotionally. Just wait for Jack Todd's article (and follow-up articles over the following two or three years). I'm guessing that he takes shots at at least ten different people in his next article: Gainey, Gauthier, Price, Boivin, Brisebois, Burke, Cherry, Loria, Selig and Tiger Woods. Then he'll mention the idiots who send him emails. :rolleyes:

Halak played great in his wins, but doesn't any of the experts see how many times he was pulled, that his record was .500 in the playoffs? Not enough credit goes to the black and blue defenseman of the habs.

Halak played great in his wins, but doesn't any of the experts see how many times he was pulled, that his record was .500 in the playoffs? Not enough credit goes to the black and blue defenseman of the habs.

I totally agree. While many have now mentioned it (wonderfully articulated by Robert L and Chris, especially), we have quickly forgotten how the Habs played a system to immaculate proficiency and played as team more than we had ever seen since in it's current inception this year. A lot of credit has to go to the players in addition to our goalies.

And yes, Halak got pulled a few times too, eh.

Here's a quote from a poster on one of Murtle's articles:

Compensation for an offer sheet

Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434 Second-round choice

Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150 First-round and third-round choice

Eller 1st Round

Schultz 3rd Round

No crap shoot draft=good trade.