Halak traded to the St. Louis Blues

Easy Ryder

do anyone think its time to look in to hiring roy to help out with price and so he can tell the media where to go and iam sure fans well fall in line..

+1 I've been discussing about this with a friend yesterday. A little drunk, but we were both thinking it could be a good idea for Carey. Maybe when Carbo's contract will be over though...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya guys. Honestly I love Price, but Habs fans boo by potential and salary. If you have potential and dont use it, thye hate you. Halak exceeded potential and gained the fans love. You could argue that if he made 4 mill, he would be booed out too. But you didn't see Huet get booed for a bad game. He was the little engine that could. I hope that the fans give Carey a chance, because I think he has elite talent. I just worry when I see that the game is in his head. That's why I'm not an athelete. Well, I suck at sports too, but once I'm good at something I can be distracted easily by the mental side of the game

Ya guys. Honestly I love Price, but Habs fans boo by potential and salary. If you have potential and dont use it, thye hate you. Halak exceeded potential and gained the fans love. You could argue that if he made 4 mill, he would be booed out too. But you didn't see Huet get booed for a bad game. He was the little engine that could. I hope that the fans give Carey a chance, because I think he has elite talent. I just worry when I see that the game is in his head. That's why I'm not an athelete. Well, I suck at sports too, but once I'm good at something I can be distracted easily by the mental side of the game

We don't need to talk about Halak anymore, he is gone , get over it. This is Montreal. There is no silver spoon here. Whether your name is Christ or Price or Whatever, if you don't stop the puck it will not play for long.

We don't need to talk about Halak, but people will be talking about him for a long time...

I agree. This is the start of next season and I guess people are starting to get excited for next year. Thank God the draft is this week, to give fans something else to talk about. They have beaten the goalie situation to death.

We don't need to talk about Halak anymore, he is gone , get over it. This is Montreal. There is no silver spoon here. Whether your name is Christ or Price or Whatever, if you don't stop the puck it will not play for long.

Umm, did you not notice the title of this thread??? If you don't want to talk about Halak, you are in the wrong thread.

What's crazy is that, before the internet, the UFA era of massive player mobility, and bloated media coverage of everything from trade deadline day to draft day, hockey fans pretty much turned to other matters over the summer. Now you can obssess over les canadiens 365 days a year. ^_^ Given that the Expos used to be my other major sports preoccupation, this is probably a good thing for my psyche if not my productivity :hlogo:

Umm, did you not notice the title of this thread??? If you don't want to talk about Halak, you are in the wrong thread.

You bring up a good point. The underlying questions are, now that Halak is gone, what are we going to do or what I are we going to look like or how do we go forward? The thread title demands answers to questions such as I have just posed . Nobody can argue if Hakak was traded or not. It is just a statement of what has occurred.

Depending on what the Blues do with their D, Halak could be in over his head. Check out the currently signed STL defensemen:

Roman Polak

Barret Jackman

Eric Brewer

RFA:

Erik Johnson

Hardly intimidating. They'll get some cap relief with Mason, Kariya and Tkachuk gone, but some of that will be going to Halak and Johnson. So we'll see what they do.

If STL has a poor year, I can't see Halak consistently stealing games over 60-70 games (which is what he'll be expected to play, but has never played that many in his career.) If he does, the PG loses his gamble. Knowing Habs fans, if Halak has a poor season, they'll be singing the Pierre Gauthier Love Song whenever Eller touches the puck.

Depending on what the Blues do with their D, Halak could be in over his head. Check out the currently signed STL defensemen:

Roman Polak

Barret Jackman

Eric Brewer

RFA:

Erik Johnson

Hardly intimidating. They'll get some cap relief with Mason, Kariya and Tkachuk gone, but some of that will be going to Halak and Johnson. So we'll see what they do.

If STL has a poor year, I can't see Halak consistently stealing games over 60-70 games (which is what he'll be expected to play, but has never played that many in his career.) If he does, the PG loses his gamble. Knowing Habs fans, if Halak has a poor season, they'll be singing the Pierre Gauthier Love Song whenever Eller touches the puck.

Fair enough, but the thing with Halak is that he always does better when he's getting a lot of action. He's a Cujo type - the type who looks great behind shoddy D but questionable playing behind the Detroit Red Wings. So I wouldn't rule out his looking heroic even if the Blues do turn out to stink.

What's crazy is that, before the internet, the UFA era of massive player mobility, and bloated media coverage of everything from trade deadline day to draft day, hockey fans pretty much turned to other matters over the summer. Now you can obssess over les canadiens 365 days a year. ^_^ Given that the Expos used to be my other major sports preoccupation, this is probably a good thing for my psyche if not my productivity :hlogo:

Me too, I lost my voice at the Big Owe regularly during the summer of 1994. Anyway, for those who didn't catch it, PJ Stock, on local radio, totally ripped the trade. Claiming inside information, Halak's agent was PJ's, the team never even contacted Jaro to gauge his feelings. He also suggested Gauthier made no effort to contact any other team about a trade, choosing only to deal with the Blues. That seems odd to me, if true.

Me too, I lost my voice at the Big Owe regularly during the summer of 1994. Anyway, for those who didn't catch it, PJ Stock, on local radio, totally ripped the trade. Claiming inside information, Halak's agent was PJ's, the team never even contacted Jaro to gauge his feelings. He also suggested Gauthier made no effort to contact any other team about a trade, choosing only to deal with the Blues. That seems odd to me, if true.

It's PJ Stock. Does anybody really care what he thinks?

It's quite possible that Gauthier wanted Eller all along and, having a good general sense that he wouldn't do any better than that particular player in return for Halak, pursued him. According to this story, the Blues tried hard to bargain him down from Eller:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...8D?OpenDocument

If that's the case, I see nothing wrong with it.

A lot of the media criticism centres on the idea that the Habs should have got a ROSTER PLAYER for Halak. But in addition to the well-documented weak market for goalies - not just now, but as a general rule, goalies are inexplicably undervalued in the NHL - this criticism overlooks the small matter of the salary cap. Gauthier clearly wants to add bargain-basement quality young guys to the roster because this is the only way to win in a cap system.

Until I hear clowns like PJ Stock factoring in these considerations, I will continue to ignore their babblings.

It's PJ Stock. Does anybody really care what he thinks?

You got me there, as does The Cucumber. Just concerned about the timing, that's all. What was Gauthier's hurry? Is Eller the best deal to be had?

Fair enough, but the thing with Halak is that he always does better when he's getting a lot of action. He's a Cujo type - the type who looks great behind shoddy D but questionable playing behind the Detroit Red Wings. So I wouldn't rule out his looking heroic even if the Blues do turn out to stink.

Oh, I realize this, I just think if he's expected to do it over 60-70 games, I don't think he'll deliver quite the results STL is looking for. But we'll see, if there's something we know he can do, it's blowing expectations out of the water and surprising everyone. Still like him as a player and goalie, and wish him well in STL.

It's quite possible that Gauthier wanted Eller all along and, having a good general sense that he wouldn't do any better than that particular player in return for Halak, pursued him. According to this story, the Blues tried hard to bargain him down from Eller:

A lot of the media criticism centres on the idea that the Habs should have got a ROSTER PLAYER for Halak. But in addition to the well-documented weak market for goalies - not just now, but as a general rule, goalies are inexplicably undervalued in the NHL - this criticism overlooks the small matter of the salary cap. Gauthier clearly wants to add bargain-basement quality young guys to the roster because this is the only way to win in a cap system.

Until I hear clowns like PJ Stock factoring in these considerations, I will continue to ignore their babblings.

It used to irritate me to no end listening to Darren Pang, Elliot Friedman, Glen Healey etc comment on Price being a goner

after the first two rounds. They were basing it on gut instinct. They did not once mention the fact that with every win that

Halak's cost was going up and that Price had missed bonuses and was going to make peanuts.

They just started spewing hyperbole and empty rhetoric. Stock is no different.

Well... Leighton vs Niemi in the SC final might give us a little clue about that situation... Also, lot of "good" goalies come and go, perform at any sorts of inconsistence they can, Bryzgalov, Toskala, Giguère to name a few. They are undervalued because they play the position that fluctuate the most in hockey. Who's really sure about Ryan Miller being the best goalie in the NHL anymore in 2-3 years ??? Nothing tells us that he cannot have a major injury and that he'll miss the next 8 months of hockey...

Talk about peaking at the right time. Halak plays well enough, as does the rest of the team, to back into the playoffs. I didn't hear much about Halak "stealing" all of the late season games, but then again, my hindsight might be a little out of whack. He had some stellar playoff games, but it's unfortunate that the depth of the playoff run was attributed solely (by a vast majority of people) to Halak. As far as returned value for the trade, I'd say the Habs did well. Eller is highly regarded, Schultz is...well, not really talked about much, but seems an ok depth player. People that wanted a PROVEN young top 6 for Halak were dreaming. The sample size for his play is still rather small. This will be his first season as the defacto number 1 netminder.

The media ripping the trade makes me think less of them than I already do.

By the way.. here are the career stats for Price and Halak..

GP W L T OT SO GA SA SV% GAA MIN

Price NHL TOTALs 134 60 48 0 18 4 355 4,039 .912 2.73 7,807

Halak NHL TOTALs 101 56 34 0 7 9 251 3,083 .919 2.62 5,757

Playoffs

Price NHL TOTALS 19 5 11 0 0 2 53 500 .894 3.17 1,002

Halak NHL TOTALS 21 9 10 0 0 0 46 594 .923 2.48 1,111

So, Halak has better numbers in the regular season, not just this year. He has the better save percentage and win ratio. Better GAA.

In the playoffs, its striking. More concerning, Halak got better in the playoffs vs regular season, Price got worse.

Now, obviously this years run helped Halaks playoff numbers, but Price was given the reigns twice and imploded both times. Halak was given the reigns once and was stellar. In one year, Price had the eastern conference leaders in front of him, Halak had the 19th placed team in front of him!

So let's stop this silly talk about half a good season. The only evidence we have is that Halak is developing better and seems to rise to the occasion (Olympics too!). All of Price's glory has been in the junior ranks.

Now, I would argue that Price has been pretty good, for a young goalie, but he keeps being handed the keys to the number one job. He has to improve and his playoff performance has to improve dramatically for him to be a top number one guy in this league.. best we keep our fingers crossed now, since the bet has been placed.

By the way.. here are the career stats for Price and Halak..

GP W L T OT SO GA SA SV% GAA MIN

Price NHL TOTALs 134 60 48 0 18 4 355 4,039 .912 2.73 7,807

Halak NHL TOTALs 101 56 34 0 7 9 251 3,083 .919 2.62 5,757

Playoffs

Price NHL TOTALS 19 5 11 0 0 2 53 500 .894 3.17 1,002

Halak NHL TOTALS 21 9 10 0 0 0 46 594 .923 2.48 1,111

So, Halak has better numbers in the regular season, not just this year. He has the better save percentage and win ratio. Better GAA.

In the playoffs, its striking. More concerning, Halak got better in the playoffs vs regular season, Price got worse.

Now, obviously this years run helped Halaks playoff numbers, but Price was given the reigns twice and imploded both times. Halak was given the reigns once and was stellar. In one year, Price had the eastern conference leaders in front of him, Halak had the 19th placed team in front of him!

So let's stop this silly talk about half a good season. The only evidence we have is that Halak is developing better and seems to rise to the occasion (Olympics too!). All of Price's glory has been in the junior ranks.

Now, I would argue that Price has been pretty good, for a young goalie, but he keeps being handed the keys to the number one job. He has to improve and his playoff performance has to improve dramatically for him to be a top number one guy in this league.. best we keep our fingers crossed now, since the bet has been placed.

Halak rose to the occasion in the Olympics?

Do you mean rose to the occasion in the sense that with every round he got worse?

Preliminary Round

Game 1 - Czech Republic - .875 SV%

Game 2 - Russia - .973 SV%

Game 3 - Latvia - 1.000 SV%

Qualification for Quarter Finals

Game 4 - Norway - .842 SV%

Quarter Finals

Game 5 - Sweden - .897 SV%

Semi-Finals

Game 6 - Canada - .893 SV%

Bronze Medal game

Game 7 - Finland - .875 SV%

So you are selling the story that Halak "rose to the occasion during the Olympics" when he registered a +.900 SV% against

1 legit team and only in 2 of 7 games. Allow the media to control the narrative and you get sold bullshit. Halak's Olympic reputation was forged from ONE game, the shootout against the Russians. This ONE GAME then allowed the spin to be turned into some heroic effort

that almost lead his team to a medal.

Does anybody care about the truth? Or would we rather just manipulate things to fulfill our agenda?

Gabriel Desjardins did a study on goaltenders peaks

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/4/2...rcentage-by-age

They peak at the age of.....wait for this....25 years old. Jaroslav Halak's age as of today, miraculously 25 years old.

Do me a favour and check Halak's numbers at Price's age, then tell me who has been better. You can ignore this all

you want, but Halak struggled to stay in the league at the age of 23, so comparing a player with 2 extra years of maturity

to Price now is moot.

Comparing their playoff numbers is also moot. Remember how AMAZING Halak was in 2008 against the Flyers with

a chance to save the season. The Canadiens were down 2-1 and Halak at 23 years old (coincidently the exact

same age as Price is now) dropped an .880 SV%. Let's ignore that, why, because it doesn't support our viewpoint.

At the age of 23 years old (Price will be 23 in August) here are their NHL results.

Price - 60-48-18 4 shutouts 2.78 GAA .912 SV%

Halak - 12-7-1 3 shutouts 2.71 GAA .913 SV%

That does not take into account that Halak was not receiving starter minutes and the majority of his starts were against

non-playoff teams.

During his first 20 games his record against playoff teams was:

7 GP 3-4-0 4.39 GAA and a .858 SV%

During his first 20 games his record against non - playoff teams was:

13 GP 9-3-0 1.95 GAA and a .937 SV%

Of course all of this is meaningless right? Let's just paint the picture that because Halak at 25 is better than Price at

23 that he will be the better player moving forward. Further yet, let's trade PK Subban for Kris Letang because

he is obviously the better defenseman because he had 33 points in 2009 and had 27 points in 2010.

So instead of Price and Subban we will move forward with Halak and Letang.

I really could care less about proving anything to Brobin, but for all those who believe his comparisons here is the alternative

viewpoint for you. Believe what you may.

Edited by Wamsley01

• 2 months later...

Jaro comes back to Montreal this saturday.

Link http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/305321.html

He will sign pictures for a 20$ donation to the Ste-Justine Hospital for chidren.

Just a word here to say this is a class act that show how Jaro is not only a good goalie but

a man with strong values. I don't care for the picture i have all these memories of a goalie

who won the heart of many fans.

I cannot be there but i will give to the foundation and i leave this link if someone else want to

support Jaro one last time, in the same team.

http://www.fondation-sainte-justine.org/Donner+Aider

It sucks that the Blues/Habs only meet once this upcoming season and that will be March 10th (in STL)...I would love to have seen the reaction in Montreal when Halak returns

I have to say that I think this is getting ridiculous. Halak did no more and no less for us than Steve Penney. We're talking about a guy who had ONE great half-season and ONE great playoff, not Guy Lafleur.

It goes back to what Wamsley and bar are saying in the other thread...the Habs' fanbase has completely lost the plot.

I have to say that I think this is getting ridiculous. Halak did no more and no less for us than Steve Penney. We're talking about a guy who had ONE great half-season and ONE great playoff, not Guy Lafleur.

It goes back to what Wamsley and bar are saying in the other thread...the Habs' fanbase has completely lost the plot.

I agree...he played good for us but come on its time to move on...I dont think CHI fans are crying this much about losing the goalie that won the cup...