Halak traded to the St. Louis Blues

Easy Ryder

I agree...he played good for us but come on its time to move on...I dont think CHI fans are crying this much about losing the goalie that won the cup...

It's part of a wider syndrome. I could understand the quasi-hysteria over losing Kovalev because Kovy was a legitimately charismatic and stylish player who did have some sort of authentic emotional bond with Montreal. Nonetheless, the spectacle of Montreal Canadiens fans getting worked up into knots over the loss of a 34-year-old over-the-hill headcase who never came close to helping us win anything was a clear sign of the decline of Habs' fans standards over the years. (Doubly surreal was the comparative indifference to the loss of Saku Koivu, who in contrast to Kovalev was a true Canadiens hero even if he also never led us to any meaningful victories). Now we're seeing the loss of Halak treated as some epochal catastrophe comparable to the trading of Roy or the premature retirement of Lafleur, and a player with a charisma quotient of about zero turned into yet another martyr to the evil/incompetent Habs management.

Years of mediocrity coupled with a bloated media/blogosphere desperate for talking points seem to have corrupted beyond repair the hockey judgement and perspective of Montreal fans. Was it a good idea to trade Halak? Personally, I feel the odds are about 60-40 that it was a potentially costly mistake. But it doesn't follow that I have to make a saint out of Halak or a demon out of Price...or, God help me, cheer for the Blues to beat us.

Get a grip, habs fans!!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's part of a wider syndrome. I could understand the quasi-hysteria over losing Kovalev because Kovy was a legitimately charismatic and stylish player who did have some sort of authentic emotional bond with Montreal. Nonetheless, the spectacle of Montreal Canadiens fans getting worked up into knots over the loss of a 34-year-old over-the-hill headcase who never came close to helping us win anything was a clear sign of the decline of Habs' fans standards over the years. (Doubly surreal was the comparative indifference to the loss of Saku Koivu, who in contrast to Kovalev was a true Canadiens hero even if he also never led us to any meaningful victories). Now we're seeing the loss of Halak treated as some epochal catastrophe comparable to the trading of Roy or the premature retirement of Lafleur, and a player with a charisma quotient of about zero turned into yet another martyr to the evil/incompetent Habs management.

Years of mediocrity coupled with a bloated media/blogosphere desperate for talking points seem to have corrupted beyond repair the hockey judgement and perspective of Montreal fans. Was it a good idea to trade Halak? Personally, I feel the odds are about 60-40 that it was a potentially costly mistake. But it doesn't follow that I have to make a saint out of Halak or a demon out of Price...or, God help me, cheer for the Blues to beat us.

Get a grip, habs fans!!!

You are so right..I never understand the love kovalev got and the hate fans had for koivu..Kovalev is know to be a over rated head case, with great talent but to lazy to use it..Koivu as worked his ass off, great in the community, and friends with some of the best players in the game..This alone makes me sad as a habs fan..

IF so call fans cheer for the blues to beat us then they are not fans of the team their fans of their opinion...

I just said a positive word and a act of wisdom from the individual Halak and just like

lobotomied CH fan elitist people come back to say negative words about the player and

the fan who cheered for him and want to say hey Jaro thank you for what you did and

what you still do for this community despite playing for another team.

Me too, I lost my voice at the Big Owe regularly during the summer of 1994. Anyway, for those who didn't catch it, PJ Stock, on local radio, totally ripped the trade. Claiming inside information, Halak's agent was PJ's, the team never even contacted Jaro to gauge his feelings. He also suggested Gauthier made no effort to contact any other team about a trade, choosing only to deal with the Blues. That seems odd to me, if true.

On TSN, video, HALAK himself admits he was never contacted, nor his agent, just played the interview on the TSN webage now.

I am not going to get in this debate , who should have stayed or not.

What has been obvious is PRICE was the high value investment, blue chip top 5 draft pick, and has been given all opportunies for success. Its up to PRICE now to show the confidence that has been given to him. Right or wrong, he is the " chosen one" time will tell soon, if this all works out for PRICe and the TEAM.

HALAK, has shown nothing but class, he has waited his turn, paid his dues, and when called upon performed. He was the low draft pick, really a low investment, and worth disgarding, and his performance yielded 2 high picks in return. He has earned the right to be an NHL starter, whether he becomes a top 10 goalie for a long time in the NHL remains to be seen.

AT THIS POINT in time, his recent NHL stats, rewarded by his contract, and probably 60 plus starts this year, and succes with The blues, will determine how far ahead he is or not of PRICE.

WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE the OUTCOME....

HABS all the way!!

On TSN, video, HALAK himself admits he was never contacted, nor his agent, just played the interview on the TSN webage now.

I am not going to get in this debate , who should have stayed or not.

What has been obvious is PRICE was the high value investment, blue chip top 5 draft pick, and has been given all opportunies for success. Its up to PRICE now to show the confidence that has been given to him. Right or wrong, he is the " chosen one" time will tell soon, if this all works out for PRICe and the TEAM.

HALAK, has shown nothing but class, he has waited his turn, paid his dues, and when called upon performed. He was the low draft pick, really a low investment, and worth disgarding, and his performance yielded 2 high picks in return. He has earned the right to be an NHL starter, whether he becomes a top 10 goalie for a long time in the NHL remains to be seen.

AT THIS POINT in time, his recent NHL stats, rewarded by his contract, and probably 60 plus starts this year, and succes with The blues, will determine how far ahead he is or not of PRICE.

WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE the OUTCOME....

HABS all the way!!

Funny how Halak's trade demand has been wiped from the memory banks.

It points to CC's comments in respect to the deifying of Kovalev and the relative apathy for the departure of Koivu. Koivu for all he did was always torn apart for his flaws instead of praised for his positive attributes. Kovalev who was a terrible team player, lazy and under motivated gets a parade because he almost scored a goal when he lost his glove and picked it up while shielding Chara.

It is partisan hackery. It is all about an agenda based on proving what you want to be true, not looking for reality. If Price makes the trade demand he is spoiled, selfish and petulant. If Halak makes the demand it is because he is competitive and he has been unjustly treated by Gainey and Gauthier.

Meh. Next topic.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333231#YourCallTop

"And the 25-year-old Slovak said the right things when he called his phenomenal success with Montreal "a real nice memory," but part of the past. He says he's looking now to the future."

I'm hoping those are the reporters words and not Halak's. Phenomenal isn't really how I would describe his career so far.

Edited by JacksonJ

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=333231#YourCallTop

"And the 25-year-old Slovak said the right things when he called his phenomenal success with Montreal "a real nice memory," but part of the past. He says he's looking now to the future."

I'm hoping those are the reporters words and not Halak's. Phenomenal isn't really how I would describe his career so far.

I think those were the reporter's words; later on in that article it expands on the quote:

"Do you think about it, yeah. It's a real nice memory, but that's in the past," Halak said. "We've got to move forward and try to do something similar in the future."