2010 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frolov to the Rangers appears to be very close.

TSN is saying that he is signing something similar to what Afinogenov got last year (800K). For that kind of money, you'd have thought he'd go somewhere like Pittsburgh.

TSN is saying that he is signing something similar to what Afinogenov got last year (800K). For that kind of money, you'd have thought he'd go somewhere like Pittsburgh.

1 year, $3 mil, done deal.

1 year, $3 mil, done deal.

That makes more sense. Bets on when Torts makes him cry for the first time?

That seems like a cheap price for Frolov. I guess management still believes in AK46 (or are stuck with him)

It's cheap because it's a 1 year deal. Frolov's basically looking to have a big time season (70+ points) playing with Gaborik and then try and get his $5 mil next season. Kostitsyn won't be unrestricted next year but Frolov will; though Frolov may be better this season, Montreal probably wouldn't be able to afford his $5 mil next year. Kostitsyn they can either re-sign or trade, keeps the options open. Unfortunately, the Habs didn't have enough space outright under the cap (with Price still to sign) to sign him and keep Kostitsyn.

Hawks could be tempted to not sign Niemi with his arbitration salary and go with vet goalie. Names in the medias are Jose Theodore and.... Marty Turco :puke:

Hawks could be tempted to not sign Niemi with his arbitration salary and go with vet goalie. Names in the medias are Jose Theodore and.... Marty Turco :puke:

Haha. Maybe if they sign Theo then Huet will finally step up so he can take Jose's job again.

Turco now appears to be the frontrunner to go to the Hawks if Niemi's arbitration ruling is too high. Doesn't preclude Theodore from signing either though as no one expects Huet to be in the NHL this year anyways.

Can't believe it. I think Turco is the most overrated washed out goalie outhere. I was 100% sure he wouldn't be #1 in the NHL again. Would have bet a lot on that.

Can't believe it. I think Turco is the most overrated washed out goalie outhere. I was 100% sure he wouldn't be #1 in the NHL again. Would have bet a lot on that.

Believe it as he's signed to be the Hawks' starter while Niemi hits the UFA market.

Also, the Rangers acquired Todd White in a curious deal, dealing a pair of players who were to be buried in the minors in Brashear and Rissmiller, the former being bought out immediately. Reports suggest Atlanta wanted to buyout White but couldn't because of his injury concerns (so the Rangers wanting him seems odd), and the players that the Rangers sent back make less than White. Perhaps they see White cheaper than his salary since they were stuck with Brashear otherwise, White then essentially becomes a ~$1.5 M player to them...but still may find himself in the AHL.

This fad whereby teams have all decided that goaltending is unimportant, and therefore an area in which to pinch pennies, will come back to bite them on their collective asses. Mark my words. Hopefully the repudiation of this ridiculous trend will occur at the hands of Price rather than (as seems more likely) Halak :puke: ...or even Luongo.

Of all the GMing fads over the years (bulking up after Anaheim won, aping the New Jersey trap, etc.) this one might be the dumbest.

To be honest, the Blackhawks won the stanely cup DESPITE Niemi not because of, so really I think they did the right thing in not signing him.

To be honest, the Blackhawks won the stanely cup DESPITE Niemi not because of, so really I think they did the right thing in not signing him.

No, you're quite right that Niemi is nothing special. I was really just using this as a launching area for the wider point that goalies have suddenly become the lumpenproletariat of the NHL. I think this is really very stupid - an exceptionally moronic version of faddish General Managerial groupthink that will come back to bite several of them on the ass. It's clear that a tremendously strong team can win a Cup with average goaltending (c.f. Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago). It's also clear that a good team with great goaltending can beat a loaded team (c.f. the 2010 Habs). Why you would consciously downplay this potential advantage simply beats me, but several teams appear hell-bent-for-leather determined to deprive themselves of it.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Chicago disaster continues but this time it is the arbitration that sinks them, the amount for

an unprooven long term, never been drafted, zamboni driver. Chicago has done the right thing

to walk away. But it must be very frustrating for the fans, years of mediocrity to the cup and back

to the rebuiling process after one year.

Well to be honest, Chicago was playing with about $70m worth of players, so really we shouldn't be feeling sorry for them. They were blessed with a lot of players not being paid what they were worth.

Well to be honest, Chicago was playing with about $70m worth of players, so really we shouldn't be feeling sorry for them. They were blessed with a lot of players not being paid what they were worth.

Yep. Last year, they treated Jonathon Toews as an $850k player and Patrick Kane as an $875k player. They actually took in about $3m and $4m each. Nevermind the Hossa discount they got as well.

Supposedly Theodore is going to sign for about $1.5m with Nashville. That's the latest rumour.

I simply don't get why Niemi went to arbitration... he'll be lucky to find another starter's job now.

And I think Corey Crawford takes over as Blackhawks' #1 goalie this year ahead of Turco.

Yep. Last year, they treated Jonathon Toews as an $850k player and Patrick Kane as an $875k player. They actually took in about $3m and $4m each. Nevermind the Hossa discount they got as well.

Supposedly Theodore is going to sign for about $1.5m with Nashville. That's the latest rumour.

I simply don't get why Niemi went to arbitration... he'll be lucky to find another starter's job now.

And I think Corey Crawford takes over as Blackhawks' #1 goalie this year ahead of Turco.

Cuz maybe he just doesn't care about starting in the NHL... But wait... it is impossible hein ?

• 2 weeks later...