2010 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Panthers should do marketing and tickets specials in Québec and Canada in general for games against Canadian clubs. I'm no expert, but with all the canadians in the area during winter, this must be a great market.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To no one's surprise, Kaberle's NTC kicks in in couple hours and Burke says the deals on the table are not good enough. As usual, will Burke's mouth make him look like an idiot?

I eagerly await the next 2 hours - not because I care too much about where he goes if he goes (though my curiosity is piqued) but because I'm tired of hearing about it. Heck, I'll even take Kovalchuk updates right about now...

Last rumbling is that Tampa is making a pitch and is peddling Ryan Malone to do so. I've heard the Leafs prefer Steve Downie (can't say I blame them) but I'm not sure Tampa's ownership is willing to take on another somewhat big ticket without moving at least some more $$ back. If Tampa caves on Downie, watch for Mike Lundin (or another one-way player) to go back to absorb some of the cash, even if the Leafs outright that player to the AHL.

I eagerly await the next 2 hours - not because I care too much about where he goes if he goes (though my curiosity is piqued) but because I'm tired of hearing about it. Heck, I'll even take Kovalchuk updates right about now...

Last rumbling is that Tampa is making a pitch and is peddling Ryan Malone to do so. I've heard the Leafs prefer Steve Downie (can't say I blame them) but I'm not sure Tampa's ownership is willing to take on another somewhat big ticket without moving at least some more $$ back. If Tampa caves on Downie, watch for Mike Lundin (or another one-way player) to go back to absorb some of the cash, even if the Leafs outright that player to the AHL.

If Tampa did offer Malone, I'd guess it was to just get rid of a long term overvalued deal. I don't think they cared too much about acquiring Kaberle, they aren't in a 'win now' situation. Downie is part of the future of this team, or at least displays some traits of being a core player for Stevie Y. He was hoping that Burke would be satisfied with the best offer of the bunch, a guy who is a top 6 forward but on a bad contract. Stevie Y has been busy clearing out the long term deals that he doesn't like this summer (Mezaros/Walker) and was hoping for another Gagne type 1 year pickup.

Not that I think it will happen but it would be fun if we signed Kaberle for the money freed up by Hamrliks contract running out and then use Kaberle to smash the leafs in every single game against them.

Not that I think it will happen but it would be fun if we signed Kaberle for the money freed up by Hamrliks contract running out and then use Kaberle to smash the leafs in every single game against them.

He does have his best games at the Bell Centre...

Not really related to anything, but what a great show on Off the Record tonight. They brought both Darren McCarthy and Claude Lemieux on stage to talk about their respective carreers and, obviously, the famous rivalry. Was really nice.

Raffi Torres to Vancouver, 1 year, $1 million. Interesting deal since the 'Nucks are already over the cap. Well worth the gamble, I'm guessing Torres liked playing out West (and having a shot to possibly play with the Sedins doesn't hurt either).

Paul Kariya will miss the whole next season cuz of post concussion symptoms. Sucks, I realy like this player. He's even been my fav player back in the days.

He'll be 36 year old next year, a full season off, think this could have been his last season?

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Mara's set to find a new home as he's expected to sign in Anaheim.

Eric Belanger didn't re-sign with Washington after all, takes a 1 year, $750k deal in Phoenix.

Different media are depicting a scandal with the Belanger not resigning in Washington. Apparently there was a gentleman's agreement that was turfed. I wonder if Belanger's agent ever heard of a binder which is something between a letter of intent and a signed contract. That is a generic discription from someone that doesn't have a legal background, but a binder is recognized in a court of law, and is binding as the name suggests.

Someone please tell me where was JEff finger playing so well that he later deserved 3.5 mil a year with the laughs?

btw TO is going to send Finger to the american league at 3.5 mil a year.... Gotta might be the only team in the NHL that can still afford to do so

I really have no issue with Alex Tanguay, as I wanted to keep him. But wow, is he a lucky player. According to TSN, he's starting camp on a line with Jerome Iginla. Nice work if you can get it.

Redden and Huet quickly waived to get off the cap - Redden will become the AHL's highest paid player while Huet will earn that honour in Switzerland. Lots of others will be waived for demotion in the next couple of days.

Florida really should stop trading with Vancouver, it never goes well for them. Michael Grabner, part of the Ballard deal, was waived yesterday. If/when claimed, they'll wind up with a late 1st and Bernier for Ballard and a depth guy, not Tallon's finest moment.

Prospal's out long-term for NYR so they sign Fedotenko, 1 year, $1 mil. Not a bad deal for them. Flyers release Guerin, I suspect in large part due to the decision to keep the more expensive prospect goalie up to replace Leighton. A few teams made their cuts early today, a couple of intriguing youngsters in Ritola/Reddox hit the wire today. I'm not advocating that the Habs claim them, but both could easily be picked up. Also speaking of waivers, Shane O'Brien (VAN) cleared, the first of what will be several cap casualties in Vancouver this week.

according to danslescoulisses.com

"Les Rangers ont retranché Ryan McDonagh et Pavel Valentenko. Les gens de Montréal seront satisfaits!"

both mentioned players were cut from the team

according to danslescoulisses.com

"Les Rangers ont retranché Ryan McDonagh et Pavel Valentenko. Les gens de Montréal seront satisfaits!"

both mentioned players were cut from the team

Yep, both were cut yesterday actually. Not so much because of their performance though but because both could clear waivers.

By the way, today's full waiver list:

Ryan Carter (ANA)

Josh Green (ANA)

Patrick Rissmiller (ATL)

Matt Ellis (BUF)

Cam Cunning (CGY)

Matt Pelech (CGY)

Doug Janik (DET)

Joey MacDonald (DET)

Mattias Ritola (DET)

Shawn Belle (EDM) (I was hoping he'd get a legit NHL look...)

Ryan O'Marra (EDM) (he was a key part of the Smyth to NYI deal)

Ben Ondrus (EDM)

Richard Petiot (EDM)

Liam Reddox (EDM)

Richard Clune (LA) (Selfishly, I'd love for the Habs to claim him, not for his talent though)

Erik Ersberg (LA) (Nashville has reportedly put in a claim, though Trotz denies it)

Rob Davison (NJ)

Dylan Reese (NYI)

Jeremy Yablonski (NYI)

Johan Backlund (PHI)

David Laliberte (PHI)

Chris Porter (STL)

Dave Scatchard (STL)

Danny Richmond (TOR)

Jay Rosehill (TOR)

Mike Zigomanis (TOR)

Joel Perrault (VAN)

Isles claim Grabner, Ritola to Tampa Bay, Shane O'Brien cleared waivers and was traded to Nashville for Ryan Parent...who then was waived by Vancouver. Don't you just love the cap world? All others from yesterday's list were claimed by the way...

On waivers today:

Mark Parrish (BUF)

Brett Sutter (CGY)

Jassen Cullimore (CHI)

Ryan Potulny (CHI) (This one surprises me a bit...)

Mike Blunden (CBJ)

Nate Guenin (CBJ)

Kirk Maltby (DET)

Derek Meech (DET)

Drew Bagnall (MIN)

Matt Kassian (MIN)

Alex Henry (MTL)

Curtis Sanford (MTL)

Alexander Sulzer (NSH)

Andy Hilbert (NYI)

Tim Kennedy (NYR)

Todd White (NYR)

David Hale (OTT)

Andrew Ebbett (PHX)

Ryan Craig (PIT)

Andrew Hutchinson (PIT)

Mathieu Roy (TB)

Ryan Parent (VAN)

Jeff Tambellini (VAN)

Brian Fahey (WAS)

Andrew Gordon (WAS)

Patrick McNeill (WAS)

Steve Pinizzotto (WAS)

All waived players clear (thought someone may have taken Parent). Matt Lashoff (TOR) and Nathan Paetsch (FLA) waived. No one waived from New Jersey, something must be up.

One trade so far today, Andrew Peters (FLA) to Vancouver for Darcy Hordichuk as the Canucks continue to reduce what will be a lofty AHL payroll.