Best option for Eller?

dlbalr

Eller's best fit  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If Eller can't crack the top-2 lines with the Habs, what role should he have?

• 3rd line in Montreal
    • 1st line in Hamilton

After thinking it through I've come to the conclusion that they got Ellers because management is not fully convinced that Poulit or AK 46 will do the job or at least consistently. Therefore Im convinced that Eller will remain with the club and soon move from 3rd line center to one of the spots on the top 2 lines. Without any doubt we will all now what this team will really look like after the first 15 to 20 games into the season. So let's all buckle up and enjoy the ride. :unsure:

After thinking it through I've come to the conclusion that they got Ellers because management is not fully convinced that Poulit or AK 46 will do the job or at least consistently. Therefore Im convinced that Eller will remain with the club and soon move from 3rd line center to one of the spots on the top 2 lines. Without any doubt we will all now what this team will really look like after the first 15 to 20 games into the season. So let's all buckle up and enjoy the ride. :unsure:

I partially agree with that (bolded). I agree that they were probably concerned, but they got Eller because he was a 1st round pick (top-half) and that he'd one day be one of the top 2 centres...with size no less. I'm not convinced they expect him to step up offensively right away and it shouldn't be a disappointment if he doesn't (top rookies struggle to muster 45 points).

The other thing you noted that I like is the fact we'll know what this team is made of a lot earlier than last season. The core remains intact from last year, there shouldn't be a big "we need to develop chemistry" stretch like 2009-10.

I partially agree with that (bolded). I agree that they were probably concerned, but they got Eller because he was a 1st round pick (top-half) and that he'd one day be one of the top 2 centres...with size no less. I'm not convinced they expect him to step up offensively right away and it shouldn't be a disappointment if he doesn't (top rookies struggle to muster 45 points).

The other thing you noted that I like is the fact we'll know what this team is made of a lot earlier than last season. The core remains intact from last year, there shouldn't be a big "we need to develop chemistry" stretch like 2009-10.

Problem is : the fans will want him to steal 2 playoffs rounds... :rolleyes:

Problem is : the fans will want him to steal 2 playoffs rounds... :rolleyes:

Only 2? That's the minimum for some fans now, the argument being since they made it to the ECF last year, they should make it to the SCF. Kidding aside, I hope everyone tempers their expectations, Tavares only had 54 points last year as a rookie and he was a lot more highly touted than Eller.

If Eller is going to get decent amounts of ice time, then he should stay with the big club. Whether he is on the bottom-6 or top-6 is immaterial. If he is ready to play in the NHL, then he will benefit hugely from NHL exposure regardless of where he is in the lineup. Even Saku Koivu spent a season in the bottom-6 - which led to Turner Stevenson getting more scoring chances than he'd ever enjoyed in his life ^_^ Only if Eller is going to be a bench-warmer should he go back down.

If Eller is going to get decent amounts of ice time, then he should stay with the big club. Whether he is on the bottom-6 or top-6 is immaterial. If he is ready to play in the NHL, then he will benefit hugely from NHL exposure regardless of where he is in the lineup. Even Saku Koivu spent a season in the bottom-6 - which led to Turner Stevenson getting more scoring chances than he'd ever enjoyed in his life ^_^ Only if Eller is going to be a bench-warmer should he go back down.

What's a decent amount of ice time though? I think there'd be some differing opinions on that. As I've said before, I think he should start with the Habs but if he's going to be getting under 10 minutes a game to start, I think I'd become in favour of sending him down. Nice Turner Stevenson reference too. :)