Habs Offseason Moves

huzer

Louis Leblanc signs a 3 year, entry level deal with the Habs and will report to the QMJHL's Montreal Junior. As long as he doesn't play in 9 NHL games, his contract will slide back a year (as was done for Phillipe Levebvre, Robert Mayer, and Ian Schultz).

That's great news, I thought it was all but confirmed that he would go to Harvard this year.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Habs have apparently signed Dman Alexandre Picard to a two-day deal.

This is a nice addition, probably not very expensive and gives the Habs a good insurance policy in case of injuries or inconsistencies.

He has a very good shot and can play the power play. The difference between him an MA Bergeron may be his size, as he is 6'2. His shot is not as legendary as MAB, but a good one nonetheless. I remember seeing him play with the Philadelphia Phantoms and he was dominant. I thought back then he would translate that into NHL, and I always drafted him in my fantasy pools as a late pick... but turns out I am no scout hehe

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/303545.html

I Bulldogs player with a bunch of NHL experience who we can call up. Good move.

Right now, I'd suspect he's got the inside track over Carle/Weber for the #7 spot coming out of camp. I don't think it's a guarantee he'll wind up with Hamilton.

Hmm out of camp our D would look something like this?

Hammer/PK

Spacey/OB

Gill/Gorges

Picard/Weber/Carle

I guess this signing is kind of telling how management feels about Carle/Weber and their readiness for the big show. Or maybe it's a warning shot across Obyrnes bow.

Hmm out of camp our D would look something like this?

Hammer/PK

Spacey/OB

Gill/Gorges

Picard/Weber/Carle

I guess this signing is kind of telling how management feels about Carle/Weber and their readiness for the big show. Or maybe it's a warning shot across Obyrnes bow.

You may be reading too much in...it's standard NHL management procedure to amass as much depth as possible, especially given the injury to Markov. This tells us that Carle and Weber are far from sure things, but everyone knew that already. I doubt OB is the main target.

Another left shot Dman... come on at least go for one more Right shot D....

MArk my words... The future of Hockey players will require training on both shots (right shot and left shot) that way (probably first for Dmen) in 10-15 years from now a player will be able to shoot effortlessly from both sides and pick their hockey sticks depending where the coach puts them.

in any case for you kid coaches reading this... train your kids to shoot right shot!

You may be reading too much in...it's standard NHL management procedure to amass as much depth as possible, especially given the injury to Markov. This tells us that Carle and Weber are far from sure things, but everyone knew that already. I doubt OB is the main target.

I agree with CC. This is just where they like to start as far as depth. I see both Hamilton and Montreal rosters now complete. I would expect a try-out overager or two to get signed as depth in Cinci depending on how many contracts are remaining on the 50 man limit. Montreal has had a problem with veterans falling in the last three roster spots, wanting to play and not getting enough playing time. Begin and Dandy come to mind. Maybe you have less grief if you have young guys in this roll. The down side is that they probably don't get the reps they need to develop.

I thought that too CC, if they wanted depth, you'd think Picard would be a 2 year deal or more. No big deal, I've been wrong in the past and will be in the future :)

Thats cuz Riga is Latvia and not Russia.

The teams in Kazakhstan and Belarus have a couple of Russians on them, though. Latvia takes pride in not having any whatsoever. Plus, Latvia rocks.

So with BGL retiring and joining the Green Party, how does that affect Montreal's buyout of his contract and their salary cap?

It doesn't, unfortunately. Like when Garth Snow retired to become GM of the Isles, his player salary still counted against the cap (because he was signed to a 35+ deal).

If the Habs had not bought him out and he retired, the Habs wouldn't have any cap penalty whatsoever. This way, Georges gets $500k each year for the next two seasons as a retirement package from the Habs.

It doesn't, unfortunately. Like when Garth Snow retired to become GM of the Isles, his player salary still counted against the cap (because he was signed to a 35+ deal).

If the Habs had not bought him out and he retired, the Habs wouldn't have any cap penalty whatsoever. This way, Georges gets $500k each year for the next two seasons as a retirement package from the Habs.

It should be said though that if the Habs didn't buy him out, I really don't see Laraque retiring. The Habs would have had to pay him to sit (either away from the arena or in the press box had he tried to come back).

CC- Article written by Ken Cambell from THNs- removal of pres Boivin- bemoans French and English media for lack of coverage- his case is that Boivin tripled the value of franchise in his tenure and that Molson has no experience running big company at any level- believes Boivin will be gone by Christmas despite the year roll over window- believes other executives loyal to Boivin will leave also

Did we not just see an executive bolt to Tampa?

I just found the online version of this article in case some of you haven't seen the print edition.

And what exactly was Gauthier thinking when trading Desjardins for Ramo???

There's a logjam in Hamilton, Sanford, Desjardins, and Mayer. Sanford's making $200k, Desjardins is too good to be a backup. Ramo's still young (only 24), could figure into the Habs' NHL plans next season. Better still, he was an All-Star in the KHL last year. Basically, they dealt an asset that would've probably regressed (he's 25, needs #1 AHL minutes to develop and wouldn't have got them behind Sanford) for someone that could help down the road.

What's the cap situation on Rämo and Desjardins ??

Desjardins 1 year, $550k/65k (AHL), Ramo 1 year left in the KHL, currently an NHL RFA.

My writeup on the trade with stats and notes: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2112

Ramo's still young (only 24), could figure into the Habs' NHL plans next season. Better still, he was an All-Star in the KHL last year.

He has some ugly numbers despite being young. There's probably a reason he is in Russia. I always thought of Desjardins being plan B in case the Price experiment doesn't pan out. The kid is a winner.