Hamrlik

huzer

I must be the only confused one here. Hamrlik (other than a rather poor first series) was rather solid throughout most of the playoffs, and very steady during the course of the regular season, especially while Markov was injured. I know he's getting up there in years, but why is his 1 year remaining contract suddenly so toxic? Is it because people magically expect to replace Hammer AND add a top 6 forward with his contract?

Reading the boards, you would have thought a buyout was a foregone conclusions, which I certainly wasn't expecting. Nor will the Habs "bury" him in the minors to save cap space.

Why the hate for Hamrlik?

No hate, just the thought that his minutes can replaced with youth (Subban) while his dollars can be replaced with an upgrade (Frolov).

I love Hammer though.. if he's back in the lineup in Sept. I'd be ok with that too!

I would like the be relieved of his contract, but there is no way Subban can eat all his minutes and responsibilities. If Hammer goes, another big minute guy is needed, no question.

IMO, Hamrlik is going nowhere. Same thing with Spacek and Gill, they will be in Montreal at the start of next season.

If we keep Hammer for the final year of his contract do you think we could get him at one or two years at a bargain price? I know he will be old and have to play reduced minutes, but I think we will be trying to bring up a lot of youth on the blue line and his experience and leadership will be very beneficial.

Regarding Hamrlik. Yes it's true that his play was stable but I wouldn't say dynamic. For the kind of money that he is being paid ($5,750,000) per season, I am not at all in agreement of keeping him here I'd rather trade him or buy him out. With the limits of our cap system we can show no mercy. ^_^

Edited by nikohab

If we keep Hammer for the final year of his contract do you think we could get him at one or two years at a bargain price? I know he will be old and have to play reduced minutes, but I think we will be trying to bring up a lot of youth on the blue line and his experience and leadership will be very beneficial.

this.

Markov won't be back until Nov. Dec. I don't see Hammer getting bought out unless Gauthier can attract a good ufa. Gotta be careful with buying out good ufa too. Others may not want to sign.I think you will see him finish the season, and if he's willing, sign for two years at 3 mill.

No hate, just the thought that his minutes can replaced with youth (Subban) while his dollars can be replaced with an upgrade (Frolov).

I love Hammer though.. if he's back in the lineup in Sept. I'd be ok with that too!

This post says it all. But there's no denying that he's massively overpaid; for what he brings, a Spacek-like salary is in order.

I don't see him being bought out. It sends the wrong message anyway. He's not useless like Laraque was. If he doesn't finish the year with us, it's because he was traded.

I'll agree he's overpaid, but at this point, with 1 yr left on his deal, it would have been foolish to buy him out, and equally ridiculous to suggest he'd be sent to the AHL. I was surprised at how many people apparently expected either option.

I'll agree he's overpaid, but at this point, with 1 yr left on his deal, it would have been foolish to buy him out, and equally ridiculous to suggest he'd be sent to the AHL. I was surprised at how many people apparently expected either option.

can you buy out at the trade deadline? that's the only way i could see it.

Spacek poor play did not help Hamrlik look at his best last year.

At his age, time of his career he is a player the others look up to.

He and PK will start the season together. PK rushing and Hammer stay

lower.

This is a better mix than Markov.

Number 1 pair

Hamrlik- Subban

Gill- Gorges

Spacek- O'byrne

number 7 is in the system until Markov is back his name is Carle.

can you buy out at the trade deadline? that's the only way i could see it.

Technically speaking, you can buy someone out at any time but if it's during the season, it's a 100% cost. A handful of other NHL'ers were waived today (including Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, and Patrick O'Sullivan) but not Hamrlik, today was the deadline to be waived for that buyout window. For those still hoping he'll be bought out, there's a second small window that will open up in a few weeks provided that someone files for arbitration. I'm pretty sure Lapierre is the only player left that can do so, but if he signs without filing, the buyout window is shut.

Technically speaking, you can buy someone out at any time but if it's during the season, it's a 100% cost. A handful of other NHL'ers were waived today (including Ethan Moreau, Robert Nilsson, and Patrick O'Sullivan) but not Hamrlik, today was the deadline to be waived for that buyout window. For those still hoping he'll be bought out, there's a second small window that will open up in a few weeks provided that someone files for arbitration. I'm pretty sure Lapierre is the only player left that can do so, but if he signs without filing, the buyout window is shut.

Waived means that they were bought out?

They have to be waived to be bought out...waivers at this time of year typically are for buyouts only.

So we can claim O'Sullivan right now?

So we can claim O'Sullivan right now?

OH DEAR GOD NO.

But technically, yes. Just that O'Sullivan is a terrible, not to mention WAY overvalued, hockey player. His lack of hockey sense make A. Kostitsyn look like a god.

OH DEAR GOD NO.

But technically, yes. Just that O'Sullivan is a terrible, not to mention WAY overvalued, hockey player. His lack of hockey sense make A. Kostitsyn look like a god.

How much does he make though that he is buying bought out? I thought he was on a cheap deal but I guess he must be making 3M+. His numbers have declined two seasons in a row but he still has potential, more than SK.

How much does he make though that he is buying bought out? I thought he was on a cheap deal but I guess he must be making 3M+. His numbers have declined two seasons in a row but he still has potential, more than SK.

I think Sullivan is in hte 4 mill range. He is not that good. Very streaky and not worth it. I dont know what Nillson makes, but he is a more consistent player

I think Sullivan is in hte 4 mill range. He is not that good. Very streaky and not worth it. I dont know what Nillson makes, but he is a more consistent player

Don't you only have to pay half a players salary if you claim them off waivers? He would probably bring some value at at around two mil.

Honestly, he won't. He's got the worst 5 on 5 numbers in the NHL. Yeah, Edmonton sucked, but he sucked worse than any of his teammates.

SK has more potential. Guy can play 2nd/3rd line with his talent on any team if he is willing to buy in. O'Sullivan is just... bad.

Honestly, he won't. He's got the worst 5 on 5 numbers in the NHL. Yeah, Edmonton sucked, but he sucked worse than any of his teammates.

SK has more potential. Guy can play 2nd/3rd line with his talent on any team if he is willing to buy in. O'Sullivan is just... bad.

Ya, the whole SK thing is so disapointing. O'Sullivan is not a good choice. Nillson could be, but he is a bit small. He doesn't play small though. He actually drives the net and seems to have agood work ethic. His numbers dont reflect it, but I would take a chance on him before O'sullivan.

Don't you only have to pay half a players salary if you claim them off waivers? He would probably bring some value at at around two mil.

That's only on re-entry waivers.