Next Year's Captain?

dlbalr

2010-11 Captain  

43 members have voted

1. 1. From the article, who is the best choice for captain?

• Mike Cammalleri
    • Hal Gill
    • Brian Gionta
    • Josh Gorges
    • Tomas Plekanec
    • Other (specify)
    • Team should have no captain again

An article posted on the main page discussed the options for the Habs' captaincy. Simply put, who is the best option out there? My personal preference is Gionta but if Gorges were to agree to a long-term extension, I could see him really being a darkhorse candidate.

Gorges would be a good choice if he was locked up for a few years. But since he isn't presently, I went with Cammy. He's got all the requisite skills, on and off the ice, and I feel that makes him our best option.

I still believe that Markov is the kind of guy who could accept a small paycut + reponsabilites like captaincy. He got my vote.

Gomez, because he's quite the character AND he'll be wearing #11 (Muller, Koivu). Seems fitting.

After Koivu's tenure, and dealing every year with people bemoaning the lack of a french speaking C, it looks like it will be more of the same.

Josh!

GO HABS GO!

Don't know why Plekanec's in the poll and Markov isn't but it doesn't matter to me as my vote from the start of the season (Markov) has changed. Now I'd take Gionta.

I'd take Cammy, I think he is the only guy that I'd definatley want to still have in 4-5 years. I like Gionta, but not sure if you'd still want him around during the last 2 years of his contract at $5M.

Gomez to me is not captain material - maybe an "A". Takes way too many stupid penalties and lets himself goaded into skirmishes with lesser players.

I like Gorges, but he is not signed long term and while he his a heart and soul guy, he may not be a core player in 3years.

Pleks got to at least show some leadership (vocally), he seems more like a guy who leads by example - nothing wrong like that - Burnaby Joe in Colardo was the same way, but he was also a top tier elite player.

Markov sounds like he is becoming more vocal the past year, but again, he is only signed until next year.

I can't see Gill on the team past this year, unless its at a much lower salary and reduced role.

IMO, the habs should go back to the practice of having the team vote on a captain in training camp.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Gomez - he just seems like the captain to me

Don't know why Plekanec's in the poll and Markov isn't but it doesn't matter to me as my vote from the start of the season (Markov) has changed. Now I'd take Gionta.

As the question says, "From the article..." - I just picked the 5 names Mandy wrote about and made that the poll.

As for Markov, not that this really means anything captain wise but it's not worth making a new thread so it goes here, he's to become a Canadian citizen next week.

Montreal Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov will be sworn in as a Canadian citizen next week at the downtown Citizenship Court. Sources tell me a pitch was made to the Canadiens to do this at centre ice at an actual game, but it was turned down…

http://www.thesuburbannews.ca/content/en/4377

It's funny that length of contract has become a criteria for being captain of the team. Like if you can't be Habs captain until you bleed in black and white.

The Canadiens are so prestigious that it seems you can't get on the holy prestigious list of venered captains almost unless you're already a legend. If this is the criteria, give it already to Subban. He's our freaking awesome wannabe legend.

I guess the question comes down whats your personal qualifications for a captain:

Ability?

Contract?

Media Presence?

Respectability?

Personally I like Cammy for the way he talks to the media, and same with Gionta and Gorges. I feel Gomez is a great player, but I think he's not really captain material. Gil seems very smart with the media as well, has won a cup. The trend in the NHL seems to be giving captaincy to the best player on the team, vs. the longest serving, best with media, etc. At least thats how I see it with all the young players being given the reigns around the league.

It's funny that length of contract has become a criteria for being captain of the team. Like if you can't be Habs captain until you bleed in black and white.

The Canadiens are so prestigious that it seems you can't get on the holy prestigious list of venered captains almost unless you're already a legend. If this is the criteria, give it already to Subban. He's our freaking awesome wannabe legend.

contract length has to be factored in, only becuase you don't want to be changing captaincy every year or two. In the past the team pretty much controlled player movement, with free agency player movement went up and now with the cap their is going to be even greater player movement.

Hello everyone, I'm the new contributor @ habsworld and the writer of the Captaincy article.

I think Cammy would be a great captain, but could he be strong enough with the refs like Gio would? Gio's awesome intense stare would unnerve an average guy, imagine when he turns those lasers on anyone getting on his wrong side! And Gorges would also be fantastic, really impressing me in the post-season with his strong leadership skills, but I believe his role is more in a supportive manner now.

I'm excited about Markov's Canadian citizenship but what does it mean, after so many years here? Will he stay longer?

Looking forward to chatting with fellow Habs fans, and October cannot come fast enough.

Welcome to the site Mandy, careful some here bite!

I dunno if you need to be a 'hard ass' with the refs to get your point across. Stevie Y and Burnaby Joe never seemed the type to get up in the face of a ref, and they were poster boy champions.

Hello everyone, I'm the new contributor @ habsworld and the writer of the Captaincy article.

I think Cammy would be a great captain, but could he be strong enough with the refs like Gio would? Gio's awesome intense stare would unnerve an average guy, imagine when he turns those lasers on anyone getting on his wrong side! And Gorges would also be fantastic, really impressing me in the post-season with his strong leadership skills, but I believe his role is more in a supportive manner now.

I'm excited about Markov's Canadian citizenship but what does it mean, after so many years here? Will he stay longer?

Looking forward to chatting with fellow Habs fans, and October cannot come fast enough.

I was wondering who this Mandy was writing these articles!

I've always loved Gorges but I definitely don't want him to be our captain. He is a leader but the stock of these types of players always rises and falls with fans. A couple of months from now, he'll probably be called a 7th d-man by half the fan base. Last year, after a good season, a lot of people wanted Maxim Lapierre as captain. :puke: Now many fans (not me) are embarrassed by the way he plays. Meanwhile, Cammalleri and Gionta are likely to be popular for as long as they're around.

I was wondering who this Mandy was writing these articles!

I've always loved Gorges but I definitely don't want him to be our captain. He is a leader but the stock of these types of players always rises and falls with fans. A couple of months from now, he'll probably be called a 7th d-man by half the fan base. Last year, after a good season, a lot of people wanted Maxim Lapierre as captain. :puke: Now many fans (not me) are embarrassed by the way he plays. Meanwhile, Cammalleri and Gionta are likely to be popular for as long as they're around.

+1

No point in having a Jason Smith or Ethan Moreau situation in Montreal.

Our future captain....... Higgins!

OOPS!

I think the room should make the decision, but we certainly do have a cast of characters with characters of the right cast. This thought just made me better appreciate an area where we have a lot to be happy about.

Rivet for assistant.

I'd like Markov to sign a long term deal and to be named captain at the same time. He's been around the longest and is our most important player. I'm unsure why more people aren't voting for him. Whether it be uncertainty of his future here, he's russian or he doesn't want to be captain, I don't know.