Official NBA Thread

Habsfan84

Lebron James just made his decision to join the Miami Heat. This team is now stacked by hosting the players of James, Dwayne Wade and also recently attracted UFA Chris Bosh.

This team is going to be stacked and will be a new powerhouse in the NBA.

What I find interesting is how Miami can afford to not only sign those 3 but also Mike Miller for roughly $6 mil per (I'm guessing that's the full MLE). I know they dumped Beasley on the T-Wolves and are set to do a S&T for Bosh to save cap space but with the cap at just over $58 M, there's going to have to be a lot of players signing for the veteran minimum/LLE. It'll be interesting to see how the roster fills out, that's for sure.

What I find interesting is how Miami can afford to not only sign those 3 but also Mike Miller for roughly $6 mil per (I'm guessing that's the full MLE). I know they dumped Beasley on the T-Wolves and are set to do a S&T for Bosh to save cap space but with the cap at just over $58 M, there's going to have to be a lot of players signing for the veteran minimum/LLE. It'll be interesting to see how the roster fills out, that's for sure.

I think there are some veteran guys who'd be willing to accept positions as role players just to be on the team and win a championship.

A lot of people are upset at the Raps return, upset at Bosh or Colangelo but I think the Raps could actually be okay...if they get some draft picks (especially their 2011 1st back), the MLE and can find a way to move Turk's contract they could be in a very good position next off-season too. They drafted a couple of good players with good potential this year, have some good, albeit not stellar, talent in Jack and Calderon, Bargnani, Derozan, and Johnson. If Bargnani and Derozan can continue to improve, D and the Raps get a decent lottery pick (assuming they get it back from Miami) plus the MLE, and the cap room made available moving Turk, then they could be in very nice spot next summer...hell, moving Calderon's contract would probably help too. Add the newly drafted Davis to the mix and thats a solid crop of talent with some money available to go after a top tier FA.

If Colangelo can sit on a mediocre team this year and set himself up their next off-season could be:

A good 1st round pick - hopefully a SF, C.

Sign a solid veteran back-up PG to replace Calderon and make Jack the starter (possibly use the MLE for this)

Sign a top tier SF or C (whichever wasn't drafted).

I agree. I don't mind the hype and the marketing/show aspect of it, but ESPN all but confirmed he was going to Miami before they spoke to Lebron. And the "announcement" was nothing exciting. No drums, no envelopes opening, no fireworks, no excitement. Just a guy answering questions and feeling sorry for himself. I wonder if he woke up today and want to go somewhere else.

The king didn't seem happy/excited at all. If I didn't know better, I'd think Cleveland people are monsters and Lebron finally escaped after "giving them 7 years of his life". Giving is a big word lol.

If he was a kid at 18 yo and now a man at 25, when did he become a man?

He said: "I called my mom this morning and then she convinced me.."

Then later he said that her mother told him: "do what's best for yourself"

hmm

Thank you mom, I'll take your advice. seeya

This is sick.

By the way, the whole "tv show" and announcement was so pathetic.

I think there are some veteran guys who'd be willing to accept positions as role players just to be on the team and win a championship.

A lot of people are upset at the Raps return, upset at Bosh or Colangelo but I think the Raps could actually be okay...if they get some draft picks (especially their 2011 1st back), the MLE and can find a way to move Turk's contract they could be in a very good position next off-season too. They drafted a couple of good players with good potential this year, have some good, albeit not stellar, talent in Jack and Calderon, Bargnani, Derozan, and Johnson. If Bargnani and Derozan can continue to improve, D and the Raps get a decent lottery pick (assuming they get it back from Miami) plus the MLE, and the cap room made available moving Turk, then they could be in very nice spot next summer...hell, moving Calderon's contract would probably help too. Add the newly drafted Davis to the mix and thats a solid crop of talent with some money available to go after a top tier FA.

If Colangelo can sit on a mediocre team this year and set himself up their next off-season could be:

A good 1st round pick - hopefully a SF, C.

Sign a solid veteran back-up PG to replace Calderon and make Jack the starter (possibly use the MLE for this)

Sign a top tier SF or C (whichever wasn't drafted).

Finding takers for Calderon (3 years, $29.3 M) and Turkoglu (4 years, $43.8 M) may be easier said than done, though the Lakers may be interested in the latter. They'd likely also have to renounce Belinelli ($7.1 M cap hold) on top of the expirings of Evans and Banks to have any shot at signing a notable FA though that wouldn't be the worse thing either. That's also assuming that BC doesn't go and use the TPE they get in the Bosh deal to go get a $15M+ player now.

For this season, don't forget Kleiza (assuming the Nuggets don't match the front loaded offer sheet) backing up Turkoglu at the SF for 4 years. That might change their needs (especially if one of Weems/DeRozan can bulk up and play the 3).

From the sounds of it, the Raps get the TPE, their own pick back from the JO deal plus Miami's 1st in 2011 as well. Could be worse.

Finding takers for Calderon (3 years, $29.3 M) and Turkoglu (4 years, $43.8 M) may be easier said than done, though the Lakers may be interested in the latter. They'd likely also have to renounce Belinelli ($7.1 M cap hold) on top of the expirings of Evans and Banks to have any shot at signing a notable FA though that wouldn't be the worse thing either. That's also assuming that BC doesn't go and use the TPE they get in the Bosh deal to go get a $15M+ player now.

For this season, don't forget Kleiza (assuming the Nuggets don't match the front loaded offer sheet) backing up Turkoglu at the SF for 4 years. That might change their needs (especially if one of Weems/DeRozan can bulk up and play the 3).

From the sounds of it, the Raps get the TPE, their own pick back from the JO deal plus Miami's 1st in 2011 as well. Could be worse.

And apparently now both Turk and Calderon are gone for players that COULD bring similar on-court value (or at least address team needs more) and contracts that are much more manageable.

Don't get me wrong the raps aren't going to the finals and will be lucky to make the playoffs...but they are in a much better position moving forward and could be in a position to contend in the next few years if they can acquire a big name FA when those contracts expire and the youth has a 2-3 more years experience.

I'm surprised how quickly he moved Turk and Calderon, got back expiring contracts, and for players who can actually contribute. I quite like having a GM who can admit mistakes in hindsight and correct them with good moves...

I've changed the topic title to make this the NBA Offseason thread as there's plenty else in the league to discuss.

Chandler confirms he's been dealt to Toronto so it sounds as if it's pretty much done. Though the Raps get lesser players talent wise, they do fit the teams' needs better and save lots on the cap for later on. Now there's too many legit rotation players on the roster though, something else has to be done. Toronto still keeps their TPE out of this (and I think based on the 3-team element may wind up with a smaller one of the ~2 mil variety), though since all sports fans know MLSE is cheap, that may be moot now for this offseason...but as my previous comments show, I can be wrong. :)

Keeping on the Heat topic somewhat, Q Rich signs in Orlando, there's one player leaving Miami at least...

I've changed the topic title to make this the NBA Offseason thread as there's plenty else in the league to discuss.

Chandler confirms he's been dealt to Toronto so it sounds as if it's pretty much done. Though the Raps get lesser players talent wise, they do fit the teams' needs better and save lots on the cap for later on. Now there's too many legit rotation players on the roster though, something else has to be done. Toronto still keeps their TPE out of this (and I think based on the 3-team element may wind up with a smaller one of the ~2 mil variety), though since all sports fans know MLSE is cheap, that may be moot now for this offseason...but as my previous comments show, I can be wrong. :)

Keeping on the Heat topic somewhat, Q Rich signs in Orlando, there's one player leaving Miami at least...

And MJ backs out of the deal after telling Chandler he traded him to Toronto...lol...it's actually comical. Jordan just put the screws to Colangelo and his player...how many players and GM's are going to want to deal with him now?

• 1 year later...

For those who don't follow the NBA, they're in a lockout now, one that really has the potential to get nasty. Today, the league filed a lawsuit against the PA to try and prohibit the players from decertifying like the NFL did. I mention this primarily so I can quote the last paragraph of this article:

Finally, the league's lawsuit also makes an attempt to secure support for massive salary reform should the union dissolve. The NBA asked the court to declare that such a decertification would in turn void all existing player contracts because they're guided by the union's involvement in the old CBA. Without a union and a collective bargaining relationship, the league argued, the terms and conditions of those previously negotiated contracts would not apply.

Could you imagine a situation where every player is in theory a free agent? (RFA's in the NBA move around way more than they do in the NHL too.) If they actually pulled this off, anyone think the NHL (or the NHLPA) would shoot for the same?

• 3 months later...

The lockout is reportedly over with training camps tentatively set to start on December 9th with the season starting on the 25th. There will be a near 50-50 split of BRI (49-51% to the players depending on league income), hockey's equivalent to HRR. Methinks the NHL owners will be taking note after seeing both the NFL and now NBA drop the players' percentage by a fair margin.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7281052/nba-owners-players-get-tentative-agreement

:1banana:

BOOOO I've enjoyed only having to watch hockey and football on TSN.

TSN shows basketball highlights? Like, more than a clip or two per game (besides the Raptors who get a whole minute usually). I don't think it'll affect a whole lot other than some of the fillers they use during the week when it's just hockey and soccer primarily.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Paul demands a trade as he wants to help form another super team. What's that saying again? The more things change...oh yeah, the more they stay the same. At least he didn't go to the team he demanded to be dealt to, he's off to the Lakers. Big 3-way deal too, Houston is the other team involved. http://basketball.re...uire_Chris_Paul

Trades/signings can be made official as of 2PM EST tomorrow. Thus far, we have that trade and about half a dozen signings. Those that I can think of:

- Tyson Chandler to NYK (4/58)

- Tayshawn Prince (4/27) and Jonas Jerebko (4/16) re-sign with DET

- Jamaal Magloire to Toronto

- Chuck Hayes to Sacramento (4/20)

- Shane Battier and Eddy Curry to Miami

- T.J. Ford to the Spurs

I'm sure there will be plenty more announced tomorrow.

9 PM Edit: The league owners (the NBA owns the Hornets much like the NHL owns the Coyotes) have directed Commissioner David Stern to force New Orleans to back out of the deal. http://basketball.re...uire_Chris_Paul

Wow, when was the last time a league blocked a deal due to "competitive balance?" Only time I can think of is a trade the Big Red Machine tried to make back in their hay day.

This has the potential to get ugly. They did nothing for Miami's 3-headed monster, said squat when Carmelo forced a trade to the Knicks and now, in what was a very big but pretty fair deal, they put their foot down? I think some of the owners cried foul in that Paul was NO's only marketable asset to the fanbase. As they're trying to sell the team, trading the 'franchise player' invariably weakens the value of the franchise. That, and they were taking on salary beyond this season which is more money out of the current owners' pockets if they have to continue to keep the team afloat.

Paul now is exploring legal options and will not report to camp. Good thing the players formally ratified the CBA this afternoon, I suspect several (if not many) players would change their vote after this fiasco. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

More reported signings:

Caron Butler to the Clippers (3/24)

Mike Dunleavy to the Bucks (2/7.5)

Shannon Brown to Phoenix (1/4)

Jason Kapono to the Lakers

Keyon Dooling to Boston

Sebastien Telfair to Phoenix (minimum)

Tracy McGrady to the Hawks

Jeff Pendergraph to the Pacers

Richard Jefferson and Baron Davis are going to be 'amnestied' and open to bids from other teams to assume a portion of their contract moving forward...one of the quirks of this CBA I like.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-nba_dan_gilbert_email_lakers_hornets_trade_120811

Guess who wrote the crucial email? Dan Gilbert... who argued the trade was unfair because the Lakers would be too good.... Boo hoo... Cavs owner crying again, just like his stupid open letter last year.

Everytime this guy writes an email or letter he looks like a fool.

Apparently, its better for the New Orleans Hornets to lose their best player in 66 days to LA via unrestricted free agency, than to trade him to LA today and get back actual assets.

The whole shitty part of this debacle is that if you read Gilbert's email, at no point does he mention how this trade is bad for the Hornets who the NBA owns... and there is a reason for that... its not bad for them.

The whole point of cancelling the trade was because it made LA too good... not because it was bad business for the Hornets... and thats bullshit, thats 28 other NBA owners acting in a conflict of interest.

Well, that and the future money commitment. The Carl Landry-Marcus Thornton trade drew some ire when it added payroll, this added $15 million (albeit over a few years). They are close to getting a re-worked deal done, one that I suspect will be heavier in draft picks or players on rookie scale contracts.

Another Toronto deal may be falling through (this will be what, the 3rd one since last offseason?) as apparently Mickael Pietrus didn't do too well on his physical that would rescind the deal with Phoenix.

Notable news and notes:

- Dwight Howard is allowed to seek a trade with the Lakers, Nets, and Mavericks.

- David West is close to signing with Boston (boy, New Orleans will be bad this year) in a sign and trade for Jermaine O'Neal and another lesser player.

- Glen 'Big Baby' Davis dealt to the Magic for Brandon Bass; Davis signs a 4/26 M deal.

- Gilbert Arenas amnestied.

There were many, many other smaller moves (and probably more today) that don't need to be mentioned here.

So Paul finally gets dealt to LA...but to the Clippers. The package consists primarily of young guys and an unprotected pick, nowhere near the calibre of players coming back in the Laker proposal. To make matters worse, the NBA took over the negotiations from the GM. Suffice it to say, the Lakers aren't happy about this. Can't say I blame them, this is a huge black eye on the league that they basically made worse.

• 2 months later...