Kovalchuk: From NJ to UFA again

JacksonJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are their options ? most of the high salary guys are 32 years old and over like Zubrus, Arnott and Elias.

I don't see them dealing Parise, Zajac or Clarkson, they just hired Tallinder and Volchenkov, wouldn't make much sense to deal them as well.

They might buy out Arnott, with only 1 year left on his 4,5M$ contract. That would be a start.

They might buy out Arnott, with only 1 year left on his 4,5M$ contract. That would be a start.

They just traded for Arnott last month, hard to see them wanting to move him so soon. Buyouts are still eligible for them though as Mark Fraser (who?) filed for arbitration, opening up a short window later in the summer.

Trade options for them are probably White/Salvador on D (both make near $3M) but they have NTC's. Up front, the expiring deal of Langenbrunner would fetch something, but he too has a NTC. I'm sure they'd like to part with Rolston, but, you guessed it, he also has a no-trade. Elias has 3 years and $6 mil left, he's the guy I think they'll really push to move (wonder if there's a small market for him), but of course...well, you get the point already. :) (He actually has a full NMC...) Zubrus ($3.4 M) could be waived and farmed out; they've done that before with Mogilny too.

What I've heard of how the 17 year, $102m deal breaks down (if that is the deal):

Years 1-8: $10m per

Year 9 & 10: $7.5m per

Year 11: $2.5m

Years 12-17: $0.75m average

To Kovalchuk, this is a 10 year, $95m deal with a player option for the years afterwards, one of which he might take (the $2.5m year, when he's 39, a reasonable retirement age). To the Devils, they got him for 8 years at $4m cap savings of what they value him as.

When are they going to close this loop hole? Anyways, the Devils are going to be a much better team...

Next CBA negos probably... 20111...

While I'm sure there are more ways than I've thought of, two ways to close this loophole...obviously put term limits on contracts. I've seen some people mention contracts only go to age 40. I think that's too far. Since there's already language regarding the status of 35 year old players signed to contracts (and the negative impact of cap hit should that player retire), that should be the number. So if a 27 yr old is signing a contract, he can sign one that's 8 years in length, to age 35.

Secondly, institute a variance rule, in that the yearly salary dollar amount can not exceed x% above or below the annualized cap hit. I think this is more important than limiting contract term.

I'm mean seriously, $10M to $750k? Especially when he's far retired by the time the $750k kicks in.

The loophole is ludicrous, but consider that any attempt to close it will come at the cost of concessions to the players...most likely in terms of still more player mobility. Get ready for players to turn RFA in half the time it presently takes, something like that. :angry:

Arent the devils still forced to pay that caproom until the whole contract time is over?

Nope. Since he signed before 35, the contract isn't locked in for the duration. When Kovalchuk retires, the Devils don't have to pay him and there's no cap hit.

A buyout won't be in their best interest either as once 2021 hits, buying him out would lead to a cap hit of over $5.6 M (less than 400k below the current cap hit).

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm proud of this rejection.

+1

I was discussing the other day how screwed up the Contracts were with regards to the Cap ... I was of the opinion that regardless of the length of the contract, the immediate first 2 or 3 years average should be taken as the cap hit, then someone else was in favor of a limit on the years (7) of any given contract....

Take for example Iginla who's making 7mil a year. He will be an UFA in 2013-14, and 35 years of age.. What if say TO and Burke offers him a 7 year contract: 5 mil for the next 3 years and then he gets 4 mil total for his last 4 years? His cap hit is around 2.8 mil a year

nOT FAIR! IF U COMPARE that to Brian Murray who signed Kovalev (who was 36 at the time) for 2 years at 5mil a year. lol

Regardless I hope this sets a domino effect where the other dodgy contracts alla Pronger get annulled, and penalized

Last minute idea... what if you make it illegal for any contract to diminish in yearly salary, so if you do wanna do A Kovalchuk contract he has to start earning 550k a year the first 3 years LOL I bet you he would sign that RIGHT AWAY!!!

Edited by CoRvInA

When the CBA first came out in 2005, and they announced that the average salary was the cap hit, I wondered what the point of that really was. Now we're seeing teams try and really exploit that...

This is clear cut cap circumvention. 8 of the first 10 years his actually salary is above the cap hit. The other 2 years, it's the same. Then for the remaining 6 years, he gets paid less $2.5m total less than a single season's cap hit: $3.5m over 6 years.

He has a NMC until he turns 40. At 40, it becomes a NTC, meaning they can waive him and put him in the AHL, foregoing the last 4 years of the deal. So it's clearly a 13 year deal for $99.8m, which would be a cap hit of $7,676,923. That's a huge savings they've tacked on.

When the CBA first came out in 2005, and they announced that the average salary was the cap hit, I wondered what the point of that really was. Now we're seeing teams try and really exploit that...

This is clear cut cap circumvention. 8 of the first 10 years his actually salary is above the cap hit. The other 2 years, it's the same. Then for the remaining 6 years, he gets paid less $2.5m total less than a single season's cap hit: $3.5m over 6 years.

He has a NMC until he turns 40. At 40, it becomes a NTC, meaning they can waive him and put him in the AHL, foregoing the last 4 years of the deal. So it's clearly a 13 year deal for $99.8m, which would be a cap hit of $7,676,923. That's a huge savings they've tacked on.

So far I still like Gomez better in the playoffs :lol::lol::lol:

Im just saying... that seems to me the $ figure in the real world when re nego a contract .... most dont win the lotery .... exept a few

Edited by ehjay

Sounds like the PA will grieve this, meaning we're in for an even slower offseason as teams wait for this shoe to finally drop (and stay dropped).

I don't really understand... it was just a 2 horse race between New Jersey and LA. Kovalchuk should have a limited effect on the overall market... were teams really lining up for who NJ would have to waive, buy out or trade?

I don't really understand... it was just a 2 horse race between New Jersey and LA. Kovalchuk should have a limited effect on the overall market... were teams really lining up for who NJ would have to waive, buy out or trade?

If the crazy (10+ year) terms can't be done, this will probably bring a couple other teams at least into the mix a bit that would be more willing to go after Kovalchuk short term. Perhaps the Isles (a team reported to have had interest) didn't want to go 15 years, but would pay $10+ mil for 5 or 6? That's more of what I suspect the hold up would be.

• 2 weeks later...
It's decision day for Kovalchuk (yet again), I must say I eagerly await the outcome. It's the first bit of semi-suspense all offseason!

That makes two of us. Although, I guess the consensus is that the contract will stand, and I find that disappointing.