Kovalchuk: From NJ to UFA again

JacksonJ

Wow, that's garbage. I'm guessing that Kovalchuk will start in the KHL then?

If he starts there, he's not coming over midseason (entry waivers and IIHF suspension is enough deterrent). If he goes to Russia, it's for the long-term.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he starts there, he's not coming over midseason (entry waivers and IIHF suspension is enough deterrent). If he goes to Russia, it's for the long-term.

Could there be an escape clause?

Could there be an escape clause?

Theoretically, yes, he could void his deal. But, he'd still be subjected to NHL entry waivers meaning whoever signs him knows they couldn't get him (so why sign him?) Also, the ruling has been delayed until Friday, the saga continues.

Theoretically, yes, he could void his deal. But, he'd still be subjected to NHL entry waivers meaning whoever signs him knows they couldn't get him (so why sign him?) Also, the ruling has been delayed until Friday, the saga continues.

:puke:

Word is the NHL wants to reject this, but also is in negotiations with the NHLPA as to give an exact definition on circumvention. Hence the delay. Hopefully, by Friday, we'll have an exact definition on these types of contracts and Kovalchuk will be a Devil with a compliant contract under the new guidelines.

Official now. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332412

The Post reported that the NHL had told the NHLPA that it would grandfather the Kovalchuk, Luongo and Hossa deals under two conditions:

1. "That the cap hit on future multi-year contracts will not count any seasons that end with the player over 40 years of age. The cap hit would be calculated on the average of the salary up through age 40 only."

2. "That the cap hit on future contracts longer than five years will be calculated under a formula granting additional weight to the five years with the highest salary."

Cuz yeah, The New York Post says that if the NHLPA reject these demands, the NHL would cancel Luongo's deal and open an investigation on Hossa's one.

That could lead toward a strike or a lock out pretty soon... ugly.

Gee, I could've swore I said a couple days ago that today's the day we find out if this deal is approved or not. But here I am again, saying today's the day...barring any more backroom deals between the various parties involved.

Afternoon edit: Scrap that, today may not be the day, another delay could happen as the backroom issues aren't getting resolved fast enough. Sounds like the deal will be approved though.

Lol, looks like Kovalchuk's cap hit is gonna be about $6.66M. How appropriate.

That's way to low for his regular season production, but way to high for his post-season production. I guess it evens out.

That's way to low for his regular season production, but way to high for his post-season production. I guess it evens out.

With regard to his post-season production, I imagine that'll change soon. I know I wouldn't want to be against him in the playoffs after a full year to gel with the not-so-defensive-anymore Devils.

With regard to his post-season production, I imagine that'll change soon. I know I wouldn't want to be against him in the playoffs after a full year to gel with the not-so-defensive-anymore Devils.

Yeah, I love how players who hardly have any playoff experience get labelled 'playoff busts' if they struggle a bit. I remember they used to say this about Pavel Datsyuk. :rolleyes: Kovalchuk only had one playoff on an actual hockey team, as opposed to a piece-of-crap franchise of third-raters, and in that one playoff he registered more than a point per game. I wouldn't bet against him to deliver the goods.

The real issue with the Devils, to me, is how Brodeur will react to the new, supposedly more offensively-minded regime. I'm pretty sure the Devils will be fine, an elite team yet again - but there's a small amount of potential there for internal ruptures and a major step backward from the guy in nets.

Yeah, I love how players who hardly have any playoff experience get labelled 'playoff busts' if they struggle a bit. I remember they used to say this about Pavel Datsyuk. :rolleyes: Kovalchuk only had one playoff on an actual hockey team, as opposed to a piece-of-crap franchise of third-raters, and in that one playoff he registered more than a point per game. I wouldn't bet against him to deliver the goods.

The real issue with the Devils, to me, is how Brodeur will react to the new, supposedly more offensively-minded regime. I'm pretty sure the Devils will be fine, an elite team yet again - but there's a small amount of potential there for internal ruptures and a major step backward from the guy in nets.

My biggest concern for NJ is the fact that there's such a noted difference between the style the forwards play and that of the defence. Andy Greene is basically their lone defenceman who has any offensive upside (and that upside is somewhat limited). Will NJ be able to have something resembling a transition game or will the D turn the puck over in their own end? If it's the latter, Brodeur (and Hedberg) could be in for a rough season (though NJ certainly has the firepower to win some high scoring games too).

The main issue with the Devils is just how many lousy contracts they have which screws them from being a legit contender. 2 LW's over $6m now (Elias, Kovalchuk), plus arguably their best one due for a new deal next year at $3.125m currently (Parise). Rolston guaranteed at over $5m on a 35+ deal for 2 more years, Zubrus at $3.4m for the next three years, Salvador at $2.9m for the next two years to be a 3rd pair D, and inexplicably paying a 37 year old backup potentially $1.5m.

Hard to believe Jay Pandolfo requested a contract buyout... he has yet to find new work. He won't get over $1.7m... so he just forefeited a decent amount of cash.

Not to mention that one of their best d-men from last year remains unsigned: Mike Mottau. The fact that he's still unsigned leads me to believe Lou and him have agreed to a decent paying deal, but need to take care of the albatrosses before getting it done.

Can't believe the league is 'grandfathering' in the Kovy deal. The rule and the contract were approved on the same day, how is that 'grandfathering'? Maybe under the next CBA these deals will be counted as they should be.